Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

blurcase
post Dec 9 2018, 03:32 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 9 2018, 02:26 PM)
user posted image

I have this chip at the edge of the hood, looks like it will start to rust, how to prevent it from getting worse? Or treat it before I touch up.
Looks very small and tight. I would recommend using touchup paint to fill the small spot.
celciuz
post Dec 9 2018, 04:29 PM

CY Pixels
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 9 2018, 03:32 PM)
Looks very small and tight. I would recommend using touchup paint to fill the small spot.
Fill up, then level it using sand paper?
blurcase
post Yesterday, 12:02 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 9 2018, 04:29 PM)
Mmm, whether to level it or not is up to u. If using paint as filler, it will usually shrink and sink in once it dries, so it may not bulge out for u to level it. Since it is a very small chip, not necessary to be overly aggressive.
V429
post Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 9 2018, 04:29 PM)
Yeah, I usually just fill in touch up paint and leave it be, and in your case, it's not so noticeable since it's at the edge. I don't even bother to fill in clear coat as I find it too difficult to handle (it's kinda like handling UHU glue).

Speaking of which, Sakit hati that my car gets quite a few stone chip even from driving in city highways in a relatively short period of time (roughly 6 months).. Sad sad.gif
celciuz
post Yesterday, 01:16 AM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 12:02 AM)
Mmm, whether to level it or not is up to u. If using paint as filler, it will usually shrink and sink in once it dries, so it may not bulge out for u to level it. Since it is a very small chip, not necessary to be overly aggressive.
What's the best method to touch up these small dinks ah? Use fine art brush?
blurcase
post Yesterday, 09:10 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 10 2018, 12:33 AM)
Yeah, I usually just fill in touch up paint and leave it be, and in your case, it's not so noticeable since it's at the edge. I don't even bother to fill in clear coat as I find it too difficult to handle (it's kinda like handling UHU glue).

Speaking of which, Sakit hati that my car gets quite a few stone chip even from driving in city highways in a relatively short period of time (roughly 6 months).. Sad sad.gif
I kinda think that more often than not stone chips happen most frequent on highways, even the city ones. Its usually because of the speed we are going when hitting the stones.

One important mental note I always keep to myself is avoid following behind lorries, 4x4 vehicles or any vehicle that their back tyres are picking up stones anf flinging it up to the air for me to hit. Keeping the reasonable distance (usually 2 cars or more) also helps to reduce the chances of hitting flying stones.

Also another mental note I keep is avoid driving near grasscutters as their machine may accidentally fling stones when cutting grass also.

Beyond that, if chips do happen, just have to accept lor. Over time if it gets bad enough, may consider respraying. Hope this helps.

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 01:16 AM)
What's the best method to touch up these small dinks ah? Use fine art brush?
Yes, the fine art brushes would do quite well. Doesnt need to be an expensive brush, just a normal one would do. Just remember to wash the brush thoroughly after use so that the leftover paint dont harden on the brush.
celciuz
post Yesterday, 11:39 AM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 09:10 AM)
I kinda think that more often than not stone chips happen most frequent on highways, even the city ones. Its usually because of the speed we are going when hitting the stones.

One important mental note I always keep to myself is avoid following behind lorries, 4x4 vehicles or any vehicle that their back tyres are picking up stones anf flinging it up to the air for me to hit. Keeping the reasonable distance (usually 2 cars or more) also helps to reduce the chances of hitting flying stones.

Also another mental note I keep is avoid driving near grasscutters as their machine may accidentally fling stones when cutting grass also.

Beyond that, if chips do happen, just have to accept lor. Over time if it gets bad enough, may consider respraying. Hope this helps.
Yes, the fine art brushes would do quite well. Doesnt need to be an expensive brush, just a normal one would do. Just remember to wash the brush thoroughly after use so that the leftover paint dont harden on the brush.
I always elak as far as I can... but the more I do that... the more I hear sound hitting on my car -.- and thus the chips T_T.

Ok will try these brush then... smile.gif
V429
post Yesterday, 12:43 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 11:39 AM)
I always elak as far as I can... but the more I do that... the more I hear sound hitting on my car -.- and thus the chips T_T.

Ok will try these brush then... smile.gif
If the stone chip is really small, may I even suggest using toothpick to slowly fill in the spot, offers more control. I remember learning it from Larry from Ammo, he has quite a few youtube videos about applying touch up paint.

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 09:10 AM)

Yeah.. Slowly learn to accept it as it is. At least still can apply touch up paint.
celciuz
post Yesterday, 03:39 PM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 10 2018, 12:43 PM)
If the stone chip is really small, may I even suggest using toothpick to slowly fill in the spot, offers more control. I remember learning it from Larry from Ammo, he has quite a few youtube videos about applying touch up paint.
Yeah.. Slowly learn to accept it as it is. At least still can apply touch up paint.
Was looking at his videos, saw this item he used called Loew Cornell Fine Paint Pen (size #1). Looks pretty neat, or maybe he made it look easy laugh.gif

derail
post Yesterday, 06:37 PM

QUOTE(dog999 @ Dec 4 2018, 10:03 PM)
meguairs ultimate paste wax or fusso coat? which is more beading and durable
For the price of meguiars wax, you could pick up the fireball coating wax which is a cheaper copy of carpro reload. Spray and wipe silica sealants are quite worth it for the ease of application and not having to clean up buffing cloths and wax applicator sponges.

And I also found that trees can drip sandy water which also cuts down on durability of protectants and it was the cause of the inconsistent results I was seeing. The sand acts as a scouring agent which strip wax/sealants.

blurcase
post Yesterday, 10:34 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 03:39 PM)
Was looking at his videos, saw this item he used called Loew Cornell Fine Paint Pen (size #1). Looks pretty neat, or maybe he made it look easy  laugh.gif

The tool makes neat work, but cleaning the tool requires more effort. Hehe.
celciuz
post Yesterday, 10:55 PM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 10:34 PM)
The tool makes neat work, but cleaning the tool requires more effort. Hehe.
Its so tiny, I wonder how to clean it up eh?
blurcase
post Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 10:55 PM)
Its so tiny, I wonder how to clean it up eh?
As I understand, u will need a needle of some sort to clear the narrow nozzle. Also, since this is car paint, I believe some turpentine or paint thinner would be required.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0636sec    2.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 05:36 AM