Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

blurcase
post Dec 10 2018, 09:10 AM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 10 2018, 12:33 AM)
Yeah, I usually just fill in touch up paint and leave it be, and in your case, it's not so noticeable since it's at the edge. I don't even bother to fill in clear coat as I find it too difficult to handle (it's kinda like handling UHU glue).

Speaking of which, Sakit hati that my car gets quite a few stone chip even from driving in city highways in a relatively short period of time (roughly 6 months).. Sad sad.gif
I kinda think that more often than not stone chips happen most frequent on highways, even the city ones. Its usually because of the speed we are going when hitting the stones.

One important mental note I always keep to myself is avoid following behind lorries, 4x4 vehicles or any vehicle that their back tyres are picking up stones anf flinging it up to the air for me to hit. Keeping the reasonable distance (usually 2 cars or more) also helps to reduce the chances of hitting flying stones.

Also another mental note I keep is avoid driving near grasscutters as their machine may accidentally fling stones when cutting grass also.

Beyond that, if chips do happen, just have to accept lor. Over time if it gets bad enough, may consider respraying. Hope this helps.

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 01:16 AM)
What's the best method to touch up these small dinks ah? Use fine art brush?
Yes, the fine art brushes would do quite well. Doesnt need to be an expensive brush, just a normal one would do. Just remember to wash the brush thoroughly after use so that the leftover paint dont harden on the brush.
celciuz
post Dec 10 2018, 11:39 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 09:10 AM)
I kinda think that more often than not stone chips happen most frequent on highways, even the city ones. Its usually because of the speed we are going when hitting the stones.

One important mental note I always keep to myself is avoid following behind lorries, 4x4 vehicles or any vehicle that their back tyres are picking up stones anf flinging it up to the air for me to hit. Keeping the reasonable distance (usually 2 cars or more) also helps to reduce the chances of hitting flying stones.

Also another mental note I keep is avoid driving near grasscutters as their machine may accidentally fling stones when cutting grass also.

Beyond that, if chips do happen, just have to accept lor. Over time if it gets bad enough, may consider respraying. Hope this helps.
Yes, the fine art brushes would do quite well. Doesnt need to be an expensive brush, just a normal one would do. Just remember to wash the brush thoroughly after use so that the leftover paint dont harden on the brush.
I always elak as far as I can... but the more I do that... the more I hear sound hitting on my car -.- and thus the chips T_T.

Ok will try these brush then... smile.gif
V429
post Dec 10 2018, 12:43 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 11:39 AM)
I always elak as far as I can... but the more I do that... the more I hear sound hitting on my car -.- and thus the chips T_T.

Ok will try these brush then... smile.gif
If the stone chip is really small, may I even suggest using toothpick to slowly fill in the spot, offers more control. I remember learning it from Larry from Ammo, he has quite a few youtube videos about applying touch up paint.

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 09:10 AM)

Yeah.. Slowly learn to accept it as it is. At least still can apply touch up paint.
celciuz
post Dec 10 2018, 03:39 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 10 2018, 12:43 PM)
If the stone chip is really small, may I even suggest using toothpick to slowly fill in the spot, offers more control. I remember learning it from Larry from Ammo, he has quite a few youtube videos about applying touch up paint.
Yeah.. Slowly learn to accept it as it is. At least still can apply touch up paint.
Was looking at his videos, saw this item he used called Loew Cornell Fine Paint Pen (size #1). Looks pretty neat, or maybe he made it look easy laugh.gif

derail
post Dec 10 2018, 06:37 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(dog999 @ Dec 4 2018, 10:03 PM)
meguairs ultimate paste wax or fusso coat? which is more beading and durable
For the price of meguiars wax, you could pick up the fireball coating wax which is a cheaper copy of carpro reload. Spray and wipe silica sealants are quite worth it for the ease of application and not having to clean up buffing cloths and wax applicator sponges.

And I also found that trees can drip sandy water which also cuts down on durability of protectants and it was the cause of the inconsistent results I was seeing. The sand acts as a scouring agent which strip wax/sealants.

blurcase
post Dec 10 2018, 10:34 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 03:39 PM)
Was looking at his videos, saw this item he used called Loew Cornell Fine Paint Pen (size #1). Looks pretty neat, or maybe he made it look easy  laugh.gif

The tool makes neat work, but cleaning the tool requires more effort. Hehe.
celciuz
post Dec 10 2018, 10:55 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 10 2018, 10:34 PM)
The tool makes neat work, but cleaning the tool requires more effort. Hehe.
Its so tiny, I wonder how to clean it up eh?
blurcase
post Dec 10 2018, 11:23 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 10 2018, 10:55 PM)
Its so tiny, I wonder how to clean it up eh?
As I understand, u will need a needle of some sort to clear the narrow nozzle. Also, since this is car paint, I believe some turpentine or paint thinner would be required.
abonglowyat
post Dec 11 2018, 12:45 PM

18 posts

hi sifus,

my white car have some not so visible map in front bonet. . brownish and only visible if inspect closely. .the thing is that map still there when i wash my car. .so i sent to carwash to settle this thing since based on youtube search on white car needs some polishing. .but at the carwash the owner suggest to wax that map n suprise its gone by just using soap + spray wax. .

i have my own spray wax but it cant clear that map. .any idea on how to avoid this/product to buy since i love to wash n detail my own car

tq

V429
post Dec 11 2018, 12:55 PM

1,002 posts

Hello, sorry but don't quite understand what you mean by 'map'? Or maybe you can provide a picture of the 'map'?

QUOTE(abonglowyat @ Dec 11 2018, 12:45 PM)
hi sifus,

my white car have some not so visible map in front bonet. . brownish and only visible if inspect closely. .the thing is that map still there when i wash my car. .so i sent to carwash to settle this thing since based on youtube search on white car needs some polishing. .but at the carwash the owner suggest to wax that map n suprise its gone by just using soap + spray wax. .

i have my own spray wax but it cant clear that map. .any idea on how to avoid this/product to buy since i love to wash n detail my own car

tq
blurcase
post Dec 11 2018, 12:58 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(abonglowyat @ Dec 11 2018, 12:45 PM)
hi sifus,

tq
I am assuming the "map" u mention is a patch of stain. U can try use cleaner wax liquid or paste to clean it off. Spray wax doesnt have the abrasive power.
V429
post Dec 12 2018, 10:49 AM

1,002 posts

Just noticed some watermarks on one of my passenger window. I remember hearing someone mention the material of side windows is different from front windscreen thus need to handle with more care.

Wondering can I clay / polish by hand to get rid of it? Or any other suggestions to tackle this problem?

Kinda regret didn't put rainx on my rear passenger windows as I noticed that it helps to prevent watermark.

This post has been edited by V429: Dec 12 2018, 10:50 AM
celciuz
post Dec 12 2018, 10:51 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 12 2018, 10:49 AM)
Just noticed some watermarks on one of my passenger window. I remember hearing someone mention the material of side windows is different from front windscreen thus need to handle with more care.

Wondering can I clay / polish by hand to get rid of it? Or any other suggestions to tackle this problem?

Kinda regret didn't put rainx on my rear passenger windows as I noticed that it helps to prevent watermark.
I think the side glass is similar to the windscreen, the side mirror then is different which has to be handled differently. Use soft acid like vinegar.
#Victor
post Dec 12 2018, 11:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

Can try CeriGlass, did that on side mirror, watermarks gone.
V429
post Dec 12 2018, 11:42 AM

1,002 posts

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask do you usually dilute the vinegar or use it undiluted? And apply the solution on a cloth to wipe? Or use a spray?

QUOTE(celciuz @ Dec 12 2018, 10:51 AM)
I think the side glass is similar to the windscreen, the side mirror then is different which has to be handled differently. Use soft acid like vinegar.
V429
post Dec 12 2018, 11:47 AM

1,002 posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I thinking to try vinegar first, if that fails I suppose I will have to get a proper professional product like you suggested.

QUOTE(#Victor @ Dec 12 2018, 11:39 AM)
Can try CeriGlass, did that on side mirror, watermarks gone.
#Victor
post Dec 12 2018, 12:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 12 2018, 11:47 AM)
Thanks for the suggestion. I thinking to try vinegar first, if that fails I suppose I will have to get a proper professional product like you suggested.
I tried using white vinegar with cottons and keep them wet throughout daytime (8 hour+) but not effective, end up using CeriGlass disappeared within minutes.
celciuz
post Dec 12 2018, 01:42 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 12 2018, 11:42 AM)
Thanks for the advice. Can I ask do you usually dilute the vinegar or use it undiluted? And apply the solution on a cloth to wipe? Or use a spray?
I put it on cotton then dab it there left it for sometime, then came back and wipe. it will reduce, but I guess need several pass.
douglas_tong
post Dec 12 2018, 03:12 PM

MaddDougg
1,719 posts

Windscreens are laminated (toughened).
Side windows are not.
Which is also why security films are only for sides.

Using acid will increase the risk of blurring up the windscreens.
Especially if it is scratched. Just polish it with appropriate abrasive.

Side note: vinegar is not strong enough. Get OSREN 05a or optimum mdr

This post has been edited by douglas_tong: Dec 12 2018, 03:13 PM
DaTaPcHousE
post Dec 12 2018, 03:37 PM

Getting Started
150 posts

Guys, i just get the china made DA from my fren,
Any lobang to get "value" 6" micro fiber pad for Meguiar D300?
Meguiar pad is very expensive...... bangwall.gif

This post has been edited by DaTaPcHousE: Dec 12 2018, 03:38 PM

794 Pages « < 266 267 268 269 270 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0244sec    0.21    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:18 AM