794 Pages « < 716 717 718 719 720 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

air_mood
post Jul 3 2021, 09:02 PM

Randy Marsh, Guitar Queer-O
4,146 posts

Any suggestions for a reliable and not too expensive car repainting place in Klang Valley?
FrogBlob
post Jul 4 2021, 05:35 PM

Casual
313 posts

Hi! Was washing my car and did abit of paste waxing, which the older folks of my family saw me doing.
They told me it is not necessarily beneficial to wax new cars as it would make the car paint thinner in the long run.
I am not familiar with detailing, so can anyone shed some light on this?
sonotme
post Jul 4 2021, 06:09 PM

Regular
1,523 posts

QUOTE(FrogBlob @ Jul 4 2021, 05:35 PM)
Hi! Was washing my car and did abit of paste waxing, which the older folks of my family saw me doing.
They told me it is not necessarily beneficial to wax new cars as it would make the car paint thinner in the long run.
I am not familiar with detailing, so can anyone shed some light on this?
They must have confused waxing and polishing i presume?
Polishing/decon new car is okay because who knows what happens to the car from the factory to the warehouse, to the showroom, then washed by people using the same cloth from wheels and body..
crixalisrox
post Jul 4 2021, 09:53 PM

On my way
548 posts

Hi guys, i'm not really a hardworking guy on doing regular car wash and waxing. My fiancée just got a x50 blue color so need some recommendation here.

current product that I use on a 10 years old silver car:
Meguiar's NXT car wash
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Meguiar's A1216 Liquid Cleaner Wax
PG Quick Shine Clay Kit

After some reading here & youtube review, Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax(blue) caught my eye, easy to use & fast application compare to traditional wax.

My plan on x50 car care:
weekly basic wash with water only
biweekly NXT car wash
HCW every month
Cleaner wax every 6 months or depends on the condition.
Clay & polish every year.

Questions:
1.Feedback on my plan above? open to suggestion
2.Since the car is new, can I apply HCW as a protective layer asap or later?
3.Can I pair HCW with A1216 cleaner wax? If yes, the correct order should be cleaner wax first then HCW ?
4.Can I use HCW on the black plastic trim on the bumper. It does have carbon fiber texture but I believe thats fake one?? Please refer photo below
5.Can the HCW apply on ceramic coating? Got an offer RM499 4 layers ceramic coating with 3 years warranty, can't visit the shop due to EMCO.

Thanks in advance notworthy.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

faujc99
post Jul 5 2021, 03:45 AM

Getting Started
153 posts

QUOTE(crixalisrox @ Jul 4 2021, 09:53 PM)
Hi guys, i'm not really a hardworking guy on doing regular car wash and waxing. My fiancée just got a x50 blue color so need some recommendation here.

Meguiar's NXT car wash
PG Quick Shine Clay Kit

After some reading here & youtube review, Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax(blue) caught my eye, easy to use & fast application compare to traditional wax.

My plan on x50 car care:
biweekly NXT car wash
HCW every month

Questions:
3.Can I pair HCW with A1216 cleaner wax? If yes, the correct order should be cleaner wax first then HCW ?
4.Can I use HCW on the black plastic trim on the bumper. It does have carbon fiber texture but I believe thats fake one?? Please refer photo below
5.Can the HCW apply on ceramic coating? Got an offer RM499 4 layers ceramic coating with 3 years warranty, can't visit the shop due to EMCO.

Thanks in advance  notworthy.gif

1. Weekly basic wash, or any wash at all, should go with soap, as washing with water alone might leave u swirl mark, and washing weekly is great.
2. HCW i used to use on my car, u only need to do it every 3 months or so, when u see water beading is weakening. I suggest u try out Cerakote Graphene Spray Coating, it works better and better water beading. I did a side by side comparison. Newer technology too. Also, HCW tends to leave streaking mark, making buffing a hassle, less so for turtle wax but its there. I dont get any with Cerakote's, application is effortless. Same thing, u dont have to apply every month, only when water beading is weakened.
3. Cleaner wax first then spray coating defeat the purpose of having spray coating. just choose 1. wax and spray coating does not bond to each other.
4. Clay is okay, but polish only when u think u need to. every polish makes your clear coat thinner, and u get to polish roughly around 10 times out of the life time of your vehicle only before u send for respraying.
5. Protect your car asap once u got it
6. Spray coating is safe on any surface, but it wont last as long on plastic trim or any other surface compared to paint, it is created to bond with your clear coat. find proper plastic trim coating if u need, but for carbon fiber texture part is tricky, safest is with spray coating though.
7. Spray coating can go on ceramic coating, but first, there is no such thing as 4 layers ceramic coating, the most is 2 layers, any more and it doesnt bond. this info is abundant if u google it. this is just marketing gimmick from detailers, also for RM499, u most probably gonna spend more shortly after and go with another better coating. This issue has been brought up many times by consumers and detailers alike, for RM499, they need to polish your car, prep it properly which take hours, apply 4 layers of coating which take 1 hour each layer (2 workers), and they charge u RM499? Imagine how much is the coating cost them, most probably China made RM20 per bottle stuff, which u can get from shopee, and u can guess the quality of it. u might wanna ask them who gives the warranty, and what the warranty covers. Do u need to pay for maintenance and how much does it cost? Dont get me wrong, ceramic coating is great, but get a proper one, otherwise u gonna spend RM499, and then spend more in other detailing shop because the only way to remove them is to send to detailing shop.

Anyway, congrats on your new car rclxms.gif rclxms.gif if u dont want to spend too much, just use spray coating and wash regularly and u r good, if there are too much swirl mark or scratched and u cant take it, send for polishing, which will not cost a bomb, but if u want more protection, go for better coating, otherwise avoid it altogether.

Just my 5 cents

newhouseowner
post Jul 5 2021, 09:57 PM

Casual
379 posts

QUOTE(crixalisrox @ Jul 4 2021, 09:53 PM)

Meguiar's NXT car wash
PG Quick Shine Clay Kit

My plan on x50 car care:
biweekly NXT car wash
HCW every month

Questions:

Thanks in advance  notworthy.gif

mostly faujc99 already answered you, but i just did some corrections:
Point 2: Usually people face streaking because either they used too much or wrong way. Just follow the instruction at the back of the bottle and use little, you should good to go. I don't have streaking issue while I'm using it. If you encounter streaking, put your car outside, let the rain did the job for you since almost everyday also raining.

Point 3: i did many combo jobs in the past, i also shown in this thread, you can search my post to read/view it. if you have left over cleaner wax and wanted to finish it, yes definitely because the gloss level that HCW can't give you. Since it is cleaner wax, the order you mentioned is correct. If reversed, it will remove some of the HCW. FYI, cleaner wax has cleaning agent inside it. It will clean the surface while you wax it. The other scenario did combo is because you have some paste wax like ultimate wax which is expensive for instance. I also had video in this thread which you can referred to. My experiment shown me that the combo work very well on my 2 cars which were in very different environment and both yield the same result which was 20+ week it still didn't to give up brows.gif

Point 4: something is wrong on the statement that you only can polish around 10 times in the lifetimes of car. To be more specific, if he referring to rotary polisher on some incompetents' people hand, I'll agree to. If on the dual action (DA) polisher, it is totally different story. Take my car as an example, if i factor in compounding stage, my car 4 years+ went through more than 10 times compounding and polishing stage, can you tell my car clear coat is thinner by anyway?

The video just shot yesterday. Bro christ14 in this forum can verify it because he saw my car before. Bear in mind that it is not high end coating but rather just some half baked products laugh.gif

This post has been edited by newhouseowner: Jul 5 2021, 10:00 PM
crixalisrox
post Jul 5 2021, 10:07 PM

On my way
548 posts

Thanks for your great sharing. Didn't notice the brand cerakote at all, gotta check it out.

Kinda agree with the coating shop marketing, probably will just spray coating myself.

1 more question, how do u guys protect your door step/sill? The black plastic part that will get dirty easily. Wipe with water won't really clean it, any product that can protect & make cleaning easier?

faujc99
post Jul 6 2021, 09:00 AM

Getting Started
153 posts

QUOTE(newhouseowner @ Jul 5 2021, 09:57 PM)
mostly faujc99 already answered you, but i just did some corrections:
Point 2: Usually people face streaking because either they used too much or wrong way. Just follow the instruction at the back of the bottle and use little, you should good to go. I don't have streaking issue while I'm using it. If you encounter streaking, put your car outside, let the rain did the job for you since almost everyday also raining.

Point 3: i did many combo jobs in the past, i also shown in this thread, you can search my post to read/view it. if you have left over cleaner wax and wanted to finish it, yes definitely because the gloss level that HCW can't give you. Since it is cleaner wax, the order you mentioned is correct. If reversed, it will remove some of the HCW. FYI, cleaner wax has cleaning agent inside it. It will clean the surface while you wax it. The other scenario did combo is because you have some paste wax like ultimate wax which is expensive for instance. I also had video in this thread which you can referred to. My experiment shown me that the combo work very well on my 2 cars which were in very different environment and both yield the same result which was 20+ week it still didn't to give up  brows.gif

Point 4: something is wrong on the statement that you only can polish around 10 times in the lifetimes of car. To be more specific, if he referring to rotary polisher on some incompetents' people hand, I'll agree to. If on the dual action (DA) polisher, it is totally different story. Take my car as an example, if i factor in compounding stage, my car 4 years+ went through more than 10 times compounding and polishing stage, can you tell my car clear coat is thinner by anyway?

The video just shot yesterday. Bro christ14 in this forum can verify it because he saw my car before. Bear in mind that it is not high end coating but rather just some half baked products  laugh.gif
on point 2: not everyone is a pro like u, and yes we have taken note about that, i noob only. streaking happens to many beginners but not all, this guy never uses HCW, thats y he ask, so i suggested him something that can avoid altogether rather than put car outside bla bla bla and bla..., so whats wrong? or just wanna prove u sifu level? Have u tried Cerakote spray coating? I tried both, so i recommend based on my experience, u should too then u can give more feedback, otherwise how u gonna correct people? u dont even know the product yourself.

on point 3: a lot of famous youtubers/detailers already did videos to cover this topic of combining wax with spray coating, and coating with spray coating, they explain with facts and chemical compatibility, not simply from what "my eye see it works great", i lazy wanna elaborate more. HCW or any good spray coating can last 20+week on its own, depending on prep work and application method. but if your method works for u, great.

on point 4 : as for the "AROUND 10 times polishing", u need to find in dictionary what is "around", and i say it in general terms. He is not asking for compounding/polishing/rotary polisher/dual action bla bla bla... generally, every car's clear coat thickness and hardness are different, they behave differently when u polish, of course u so pro u should know, or u dont? dont just talk about your car, he asked the question, this is about his car, not yours. u dare to guarantee his car can last 10 polishing? u buy him new car if it doesnt? god knows along the years where and who is he gonna send his car for what type of detailing, how many levels how they gonna cut his clear coat, considering he is not a pro like u? and yes again we know u pro, but no need to call others incompetents. clear coat goes thinner after polishing is a common sense and its an undeniable fact, what u trying to argue and prove here? that your car clear coat very pro also? if u dunno this, use a thickness gauge and see how your balls shrink the next time u do polishing, or u dont have 1? thinner clear coats reduce the depth of your paint color as well. these are very detailed info of which i think he is not asking, so i gave very general answer, he just wants to do simple maintenance to care for his paint for goodness sake.

on YOUR video: have you done torture tests and pencil hardness tests side by side with different budget of coatings? Do u even know the difference between low and good quality coatings? since u pro, are u implying that low and good quality coatings are of the same level? Have you spoken to those regretted using cheapo coatings? u know for sure what coating are they using that u compare yours to them? are u gonna guarantee any cheapo coatings gonna work and last? if not u sponsor him go redo? how many cars have you done full detailing before? and is it necessary to put lol in the end to mock people? what did i type up there that offended u so much, i dont even know u? but if there is any, I apologize here, my intention is just to give my 5 cents to him in a simple and general way, and avoid him from making costly mistakes.

When it comes to car care, everyone has different experiences/motivation/dedication/persistence, and as long as it works for u, great, share your experience, boast your sifuness all u want, but no need to criticize others. pro or not, everyone continue learning as technology and products are updated from time to time. if u want to criticize/look down on others with sarcasm, u will get it back, then u dont complain. cheers
faujc99
post Jul 6 2021, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
153 posts

QUOTE(crixalisrox @ Jul 5 2021, 10:07 PM)

Thanks for your great sharing. Didn't notice the brand cerakote at all, gotta check it out.

Kinda agree with the coating shop marketing, probably will just spray coating myself.

1 more question, how do u guys protect your door step/sill? The black plastic part that will get dirty easily. Wipe with water won't really clean it, any product that can protect & make cleaning easier?
welcome.

door steps are extremely difficult to take care, what u mean by dirty is actually water mark. the only best way is to way it regularly, and make sure its dry after washing. leave water on it until it dries itself, then u get water mark after certain amount of time u dont wash it.

other than water mark, another issue is the plastic trim slowly turning greyish, some u can even notice after a few months. best plastic trim protection by far is also from Cerakote, its called Trim Coat. its a ceramic coating wipe. they give 2 years warranty but u need to ask them how to apply properly, wrong application and its not gonna look nice on new car. but do note that it doesnt help 100% on water mark issue,it helps because of its hydrophobic property but dont expect 0 water mark. it makes cleaning much easier and protect your plastic from becoming greyish also. make sure buy original with warranty card, i know some selling in shopee without warranty card
sk41
post Jul 6 2021, 12:51 PM

On my way
601 posts

guys, how do you fix minor scratches at front windshield?
freak mishaps during heavy rain
hawker umbrella blown away & hit my windshield

newhouseowner
post Jul 6 2021, 08:06 PM

Casual
379 posts

QUOTE(faujc99 @ Jul 6 2021, 09:00 AM)
on point 2: not everyone is a pro like u, and yes we have taken note about that, i noob only. streaking happens to many beginners but not all, this guy never uses HCW, thats y he ask, so i suggested him something that can avoid altogether rather than put car outside bla bla bla and bla..., so whats wrong? or just wanna prove u sifu level? Have u tried Cerakote spray coating? I tried both, so i recommend based on my experience, u should too then u can give more feedback, otherwise how u gonna correct people? u dont even know the product yourself.

on point 3: a lot of famous youtubers/detailers already did videos to cover this topic of combining wax with spray coating, and coating with spray coating, they explain with facts and chemical compatibility, not simply from what "my eye see it works great", i lazy wanna elaborate more. HCW or any good spray coating can last 20+week on its own, depending on prep work and application method. but if your method works for u, great.

on point 4 : as for the "AROUND 10 times polishing", u need to find in dictionary what is "around", and i say it in general terms. He is not asking for compounding/polishing/rotary polisher/dual action bla bla bla... generally, every car's clear coat thickness and hardness are different, they behave differently when u polish, of course u so pro u should know, or u dont? dont just talk about your car, he asked the question, this is about his car, not yours. u dare to guarantee his car can last 10 polishing? u buy him new car if it doesnt? god knows along the years where and who is he gonna send his car for what type of detailing, how many levels how they gonna cut his clear coat, considering he is not a pro like u? and yes again we know u pro, but no need to call others incompetents. clear coat goes thinner after polishing is a common sense and its an undeniable fact, what u trying to argue and prove here? that your car clear coat very pro also? if u dunno this, use a thickness gauge and see how your balls shrink the next time u do polishing, or u dont have 1? thinner clear coats reduce the depth of your paint color as well. these are very detailed info of which i think he is not asking, so i gave very general answer, he just wants to do simple maintenance to care for his paint for goodness sake.

on YOUR video: have you done torture tests and pencil hardness tests side by side with different budget of coatings? Do u even know the difference between low and good quality coatings? since u pro, are u implying that low and good quality coatings are of the same level? Have you spoken to those regretted using cheapo coatings? u know for sure what coating are they using that u compare yours to them? are u gonna guarantee any cheapo coatings gonna work and last? if not u sponsor him go redo? how many cars have you done full detailing before? and is it necessary to put lol in the end to mock people? what did i type up there that offended u so much, i dont even know u? but if there is any, I apologize here, my intention is just to give my 5 cents to him in a simple and general way, and avoid him from making costly mistakes.

When it comes to car care, everyone has different experiences/motivation/dedication/persistence, and as long as it works for u, great, share your experience, boast your sifuness all u want, but no need to criticize others. pro or not, everyone continue learning as technology and products are updated from time to time. if u want to criticize/look down on others with sarcasm, u will get it back, then u dont complain. cheers
Oh you butthurt, I see. So be it.

ZzZzz...
post Jul 7 2021, 11:15 AM

Art of Sleeping
1,773 posts

Hi all sifu, nice active group here...

i just got my car less than 2 week...
just realize there's minor scratch as below photo (not sure is it due to my careless car wash sweat.gif ), anyway to remove it without polish?

p/s: ignore the dirty, just caught my car in rain yesterday

user posted image
newhouseowner
post Jul 7 2021, 06:09 PM

Casual
379 posts

QUOTE(ZzZzz... @ Jul 7 2021, 11:15 AM)

just realize there's minor scratch as below photo (not sure is it due to my careless car wash  sweat.gif ), anyway to remove it without polish?

user posted image
Nope. Some more need machine, hand application quite challenging.
G-CooL^_^
post Jul 8 2021, 11:11 PM

Getting Started
180 posts

Hi Sifus, how do you wash microfiber towel ?
What detergent u all using ?

This post has been edited by G-CooL^_^: Jul 8 2021, 11:11 PM
electron
post Jul 8 2021, 11:22 PM

Regular
1,328 posts

Note about HCW usage, a little goes a long way.
You are misting the panel not spraying.
Don't just spray head on. Move/flick/turn your wrist/arm when pressing the trigger.
Too much and it will streak, but it is not difficult to prevent that.
2-3 spray for the bonnet/roof, one spray per door panel
The product is activated and spread with water.

Just like what Meguair's said, they wanted to help you save money, so use sparingly
newhouseowner
post Jul 9 2021, 11:00 PM

Casual
379 posts

QUOTE(G-CooL^_^ @ Jul 8 2021, 11:11 PM)
Hi Sifus, how do you wash microfiber towel ?
Front loading machine preferable, set temperature below 40C, used liquid detergent type. Don't hang under direct sunlight. Recently I used Daia smart blue cap, quite ok. Actually dedicated microfiber detergent is preferable but I haven't found yet in Malaysia.
Quazacolt
post Jul 10 2021, 07:16 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(faujc99 @ Jul 6 2021, 09:00 AM)
and is it necessary to put lol in the end to mock people? what did i type up there that offended u so much, i dont even know u? but if there is any, I apologize here, my intention is just to give my 5 cents to him in a simple and general way, and avoid him from making costly mistakes.

When it comes to car care, everyone has different experiences/motivation/dedication/persistence, and as long as it works for u, great, share your experience, boast your sifuness all u want, but no need to criticize others. pro or not, everyone continue learning as technology and products are updated from time to time
chill bro... i don't think there was any "lol" being made here? notworthy.gif
he shared his opinions, then it is up to @crixalisrox to determine and decide himself.

for X50 carbon fiber textured plastic, it is just that, fake textured plastic. so just treat it as any normal plastic trims and apply any coating/LSP products as you wish.

=edit=
woah maximum tagging of 5 members reached

QUOTE(sk41 @ Jul 6 2021, 12:51 PM)
glass polish, ideally get from reputable brand as cheap ones may leave permanent damage/haze on your windscreen.

QUOTE(newhouseowner @ Jul 6 2021, 08:06 PM)
Oh you butthurt, I see. So be it.
sifu also chill ya notworthy.gif

just realize there's minor scratch as below photo (not sure is it due to my careless car wash  sweat.gif ), anyway to remove it without polish?

no way without polish.

have some patience, and try to stick to hand polishing as it is sitting on an edge and machine polishing may burn off your clearcoat and god forbid paint.
done that mistake on my sister's new car however seeing as i did more good correcting the damage on that area resulted of a fender bender at the parking lot scraping a pillar, all is good.

QUOTE(newhouseowner @ Jul 7 2021, 06:09 PM)
Nope. Some more need machine, hand application quite challenging.
i would think machine being more challenging unless you have small tool for very small spot correction and that would be a lot of budget as you'd typically want bigger machine for quicker (that's usually the purpose of machines ya? lol) overall car usage / coverage

so in that sense i'd disagree and side more on just going by hand for small spot corrections, involving an edge of curve of a car surface.

QUOTE(G-CooL^_^ @ Jul 8 2021, 11:11 PM)
how do you wash microfiber towel ?
multiple soakings /intervals between Vanish powder, and dishwashing liquid.
All hand wash, indoor drying.

and typically soak for 3-4ish days, as modern LSP tend to last longer, they tend to cling/stick on your cloth too...
same goes for modern day pollution bangwall.gif
ZzZzz...
post Jul 10 2021, 10:59 AM

Art of Sleeping
1,773 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jul 10 2021, 07:16 AM)
no way without polish.

have some patience, and try to stick to hand polishing as it is sitting on an edge and machine polishing may burn off your clearcoat and god forbid paint.
done that mistake on my sister's new car however seeing as i did more good correcting the damage on that area resulted of a fender bender at the parking lot scraping a pillar, all is good.
hey bro, thank alot for ur expert advice notworthy.gif

btw, if using two bucket hand wash without grit guard is it okay? any correct method to do so?
i'm trying achieve less item to carry during car wash
Quazacolt
post Jul 10 2021, 03:49 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(ZzZzz... @ Jul 10 2021, 10:59 AM)

btw, if using two bucket hand wash without grit guard is it okay? any correct method to do so?
i'm trying achieve less item to carry during car wash
No right or wrong, depends on your preference, requirements.

Grit guards are meant to ward off dirt recirculating in your cloth.
So if you prefer to have less dirt getting back on your car potentially scratching it, use lo.

On other hand, if not bothered, can just clay/polish every few months, don't use grit guards also won't die. (Majority of outside car wash also never use)

Personally I use, but I wash once every few weeks/months, 1 year less than 5-6 wash or so.
Dirt does get accumulated and the wash mitt/sponge will get very dirty
celciuz
post Jul 10 2021, 03:55 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(sk41 @ Jul 6 2021, 12:51 PM)
freak mishaps during heavy rain
hawker umbrella blown away & hit my windshield
How bad is it? If it traps your finger, well unlikely to remove...I mean these hawker stall umbrella are huge and I guess might be quite deep.

user posted image
Does it get caught by finger nail? If no, those wax with lots of fillers might be able to cover it up (but its not permanent and temporary only).

794 Pages « < 716 717 718 719 720 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0372sec    0.52    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:42 PM