Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Audiophile Lounge, Audiophile Lounge to chit chat (Hi-Fi)

views

youngy
post Apr 24 2016, 09:02 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Hi Sifus!

I want to ask something regarding CD songs converted to FLAC files.

I've converted the songs via EAC software recommended by fellow forumer and played the songs via Foobar2000.

What I've found out comparing to Spotify Premium is that the converted songs (eg. Hotel California by Eagles) is more louder and sharper but the lower volume instrument is not separated well comparing to Spotify Premium.

Is it something to do with the equalizer in Foobar200 player?
I do not know how to play with the equalizer because it's all in numbers instead of Bass, Treble & etc.

Bass is softer in Spotify hence the background instruments are easier to be heard?

Hope sifus will give me some insight on FLAC files. notworthy.gif
Too much to learn... haha

PC -> Cayin C5 DAC/amp -> Hifiman 400i

youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 10:05 AM

Casual

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Apr 25 2016, 09:23 AM)
Many possibility.

Loudness war. The songs are mastered too loudly. Lack of dynamics is a downside.

Btw, Spotify Premium is playing 320kbps mp3.

And the Hotel California, I wonder if its the same master version.

Foobar 2k by default doesn't enable the equalizer. It's best if you leave them off, unless you know which band you specifically wanna boost/subdue.

If softer bass translates into clearer instruments, is your gear/headphone too bassy perhaps?
I'm using Hifiman HE-400i. Not a basshead headphone.

Have yet to try it with Beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm). Maybe will try it tonight.
Might sound different due to DT880 provides lesser bass compares to HE-400i.
Highs are more fatiguing I guess.. haha

Background instrument got covered up by vocal which does not happen on Spotify using the same Headphone and Portable DAC / AMP.

Maybe Cayin C5 DAC is not that good for FLAC files... haha

Thanks for the feedback though. Appreciated it! notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by youngy: Apr 25 2016, 10:19 AM
youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 10:43 AM

Casual

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Apr 25 2016, 11:27 AM)
Yeah. HE-400i shouldn't be a bass monster.

Cayin C5 Dac is fine. FLAC files are universal stuffs, so a modern DAC should be cool with it.

Did you try reset the Foobar2k setting to default? Just to eliminate any weird stuffs going behind.

Oh ya, at the Foobar2k output, which one did you choose? Would be alright if you use WASAPI (Event/PUSH). ASIO sometimes is a little bit buggy.

Try other songs, maybe see if the problem is consistent across all songs?
Hmm... I did not do any settings on Foobar2k. Just played songs on it right after ripping it through EAC.

I'll try modern songs like Adele, Linkin Park etc. Maybe the quality of the Eagle's songs are not that good because it's recorded with old technologies.

Might be wrong about it though...

Thought of trying Tidal but during the Tidal Sound quality test, it's really hard to differentiate between Hi res & 320kbps. Found out the only way to know if it's Hi res or not (for me), it's through the background instruments.

Maybe gears are not powerful enough... hehe
youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 01:28 PM

Casual

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Apr 25 2016, 11:51 AM)
Adele is... well, loud. Lacks dynamic in the songs. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Adele

If you can't differentiate the quality, then it's alright. You can't listen to what you can't hear, right?

Background instruments... hmmm.. that depends on the tracks itself. If the song is well produced and mastered, you should hear the background instruments more clearly.

Or perhaps, you wanna try another amplifier? Since you're using HE400i on a portable amplifier.
Hmm... I think the next upgrade will be Aune X1s DAC to combo with Cayin C5 DAC/AMP. Don't wanna spend so much because I want to get a CD player (Marantz) end of this year.

Not sure if Aune X1s can connect to Marantz or not but should be okay... haha... haven't do my research just yet.

Any DAC to recommend? Around 1.3k budget. If out of topic... please ignore my question... hah

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 25 2016, 01:00 PM)
Old technologies generally are reliant on master tapes, which is fully analog. Modern recordings might have more fancy equipment used for the recording, but the master recordings are generally severely compressed and released in lossy format. So in the end good quality releases are more likely from those old classics which are released in lossless and even high res format. 
Tidal Hifi is pretty great, actually. Have been using it for a while now, when I'm out and about
I see I see... but Desperado by Eagles at the beginning of the song have grain noise on the background... I thought Spotify converted the song badly... but CD also got the noise...

You subscribe to Hi res audio at Tidal?
How is the apps and song library?
Thought of switching as well but don't know worth it or not.
Double the price of Spotify.

youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 02:31 PM

Casual

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Apr 25 2016, 02:58 PM)
Go directly to CD player, or whatever that yields the most improvement. Don't stuck in the mid-fi purgatory forever. It won't help your wallet or your enjoyment, just because the gears are different.

I'd highly recommend you to look at the Chord Mojo. It really saves you a lot of time and money if you plan to listen mostly on your computer, phone or other sources. Do check it out. The sound quality is very, very capable and amazing. thumbsup.gif
Hah! I think I can settle with CD sound quality. Just need to spend money on a good CD player.

Yes, I have a brief moment with Chord Mojo at Starspicker. Just like 2 minutes listening. From what I heard, the songs hits more harder and my Cayin C5 DAC/AMP.

Can Chord mojo connect directly to CD player like Marantz?

It cost alot though... haha

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 25 2016, 03:04 PM)
Yes, Tidal Hi-Fi. It's very convenient for listening when I'm outside (car, hotel, etc), as well as when I want to try something first before purchasing the HiRes version of it. But no idea about the library etc, never used any music streaming service before since all the others are not lossless.
+ 1 to both biggrin.gif
I think you have a great gears playing through Tidal HiFi cuz I need to concentrate alot to hear the differences on my Cayin C5 and Hifiman HE-400i. rclxub.gif

youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 02:56 PM

Casual

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Apr 25 2016, 03:35 PM)
user posted image

You probably can connect it via the COAX or OPT port.

Go find one and listen to it longer. You'll be rewarded greatly.
Oh... I think can connect to to Marantz

I tried connecting my Cayin C5 DAC/AMP to my dad's Marantz through COAX but it does not work. Cayin Coax is out though...

Hmm... Where can use CIMB to pay as installment? Starspicker got installment but Maybank only...

Thanks for the input! notworthy.gif
youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 05:26 PM

Casual

QUOTE(konpaku @ Apr 25 2016, 06:06 PM)
BUY BUY BUY
Relax my friend... Haha...

I think Chord Mojo is better than X1s + Cayin C5 DAC/AMP combo but the price is quite high... LOL

Still got alot of time for me to think about it... innocent.gif
youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 07:31 PM

Casual

QUOTE(kimsim @ Apr 25 2016, 06:54 PM)
Definitely are better.
BBB virus all the time here
If money is not an issue... why not... but sadly... haha
Will be selling of my DT880... then will buy Aune X1s.. hehe

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Apr 25 2016, 08:18 PM)
So really need the a high tech ear phone or gadget to check the different ?
Haven't expose to high end gear yet.. so can't answer that... lol...

But you can try it yourself to see whether you can hear it or not.

test.tidalhifi.com

youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 07:36 PM

Casual

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 25 2016, 08:28 PM)
Have a look:

NPR sound test

I can tell the difference out of my iPad, which you'll agree isn't exactly a high quality sound reproduction device.

Some just have more sensitive ears than others, others have trained their ears to spot subtle difference, the luckiest among us hear absolutely no difference at all, and can be happy with Apple earbuds wink.gif
Latest Xiami earbud compare to Samsung earbud got alot if difference wor... bass really muddy with Samsung earbud...
youngy
post Apr 25 2016, 08:47 PM

Casual

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 25 2016, 09:39 PM)
Bundled in earbuds are usually throwaways, when it comes to sound quality. For convenience sake, can la
Get something like Xiaomi... and you'll be blown away... haha

It's cheap... doesn't break your bank... recommended it to one of my friend and he is in love with it.. hah

This post has been edited by youngy: Apr 25 2016, 08:48 PM
youngy
post Apr 26 2016, 10:39 AM

Casual

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 25 2016, 08:28 PM)
Have a look:

NPR sound test

I can tell the difference out of my iPad, which you'll agree isn't exactly a high quality sound reproduction device.

Some just have more sensitive ears than others, others have trained their ears to spot subtle difference, the luckiest among us hear absolutely no difference at all, and can be happy with Apple earbuds wink.gif
The sound test are really good. Makes me questioning myself whether I need to buy expensive gears or not. Haha... It's hard to tell between 320kbps & uncompressed... rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by youngy: Apr 26 2016, 10:56 AM
youngy
post Apr 26 2016, 09:53 PM

Casual

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 26 2016, 07:54 PM)
You're luckier than me, you've got no excuse to spend money on expensive gear anymore. Sadly, I got all 6 right sweat.gif
So... can't spend money is a good thing or bad? haha

Interesting video to share regarding Lossless & Lossy files.

There are 2 parts. I'll just post 1... brows.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoiiKZkcHME

This post has been edited by youngy: Apr 26 2016, 09:57 PM
youngy
post Apr 27 2016, 09:25 AM

Casual

QUOTE(echineko @ Apr 27 2016, 04:05 AM)
Good for your bank balance, might or might not be good for your enjoyment of music tongue.gif
Well, the reason I buy gear is to improve the sound quality, for my personal enjoyment of the music. If there comes a point where I don't perceive an increase in SQ, I wouldn't consider getting new gear. It's fun to play with equipment, but that's not really the point of the hobby, right? It's all about the music biggrin.gif Just enjoy what you can la
I think I'll continue to upgrade... Must be something with the equipments instead of my EARS!!! Haha

Btw... are there any headphones that sounds like DT800 with better overall sound quality? I kinda like the sound of DT880. T1 perhaps?

I do agree that listen to music is an enjoyment but cannot differentiate between uncompressed and 320kbps is really bugging me....... doh.gif

This post has been edited by youngy: Apr 27 2016, 11:39 AM
youngy
post Apr 27 2016, 10:23 PM

Casual

QUOTE(konpaku @ Apr 27 2016, 01:01 PM)
have you tried the Sennheiser HD700?
Hmm... have not try Sennheiser HD700... Will give it a try since you mentioned it's kinda similar with DT880.

Thanks!
youngy
post May 26 2016, 09:50 AM

Casual

Finally got the green light to buy Mojo. rclxms.gif

Will use mainly at desktop. Hopefully it won't disappoint me cuz the price is quite high... devil.gif
youngy
post May 26 2016, 02:48 PM

Casual

QUOTE(kimsim @ May 26 2016, 10:54 AM)
Mojo good for you, my mojo works fine with little thing biggrin.gif
user posted image
Had a brief moment with Mojo during my visit at Starspicker. All I can say it's quite powerful. Will listen to it again before making my purhcase. Hehe.

QUOTE(echineko @ May 26 2016, 11:11 AM)
Very unlikely, but the same rule applies for the Mojo as all audio gear, when possible, listen thoroughly first before buying. Don't buy blindly if you have a choice.

Edit: Unless you're like some people la (*cough*Joshua*cough*) , then you can just try whatever for fun tongue.gif
Yes... I'll listen to them before purchasing. Most likely I'll love it cuz I'm using Cayin C5 Dac/amp now... haha

QUOTE(kahtsin @ May 26 2016, 01:40 PM)
If your focus is only using it for desktop then I recommend you to get a proper desktop amp+dac stack.  Unless you wanna bring it along everywhere you go then the Mojo is your bff. I too plan to get the Mojo for my Sony and desktop, so tell me how it is after using it! psps: be careful of your battery life yo
Which proper desktop Dac +amp would you recommend? I've thought about going for a proper desktop Dac + amp but sometimes it's good to have a portable Dac/amp. Can bring along to test headphone... haha

This post has been edited by youngy: May 26 2016, 03:11 PM
youngy
post May 27 2016, 11:21 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Kaerna @ May 27 2016, 11:41 AM)
I always liked the DT880 better than the HD650, considering I listen to mostly modern pop songs and rock. While the HD650 itself is good, it isn't an automatic buy for headphone around that price range.
Intersting... Never heard HD 600 or HD 650 but I owned DT880. I like DT880 takes on Adele's vocal & acoustic songs. Bring the best out of DT880 but what surprises me is Hotel California by Eagles... sounds kinda boring with DT880... hmm.gif

Thought of upgrading to HD 650 if anything happens to my HE-400i.
youngy
post May 27 2016, 12:12 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Kaerna @ May 27 2016, 12:46 PM)
It all depends on your preference and song choices in the end.

For me, owning both before, I'd say the DT880 is more exciting and fast paced, while the HD650 is more laid back and relaxing.
Ah... I see... Didn't have the chance to try out HD 650. Will take note on the differences. notworthy.gif

QUOTE(echineko @ May 27 2016, 12:49 PM)
If you liked the DT880, look at the DT990 first, and then maybe the T1. The higher priced model might not even be your fave, I know some people were happy to stay with the 600 ohm model of the DT990.

But I think the house sound is a real thing, I know I preferred the flagship Beyerdynamic over the Sennheiser flagship(s). Ultimately try, play your kind of music (from your own sources if possible), make an educated decision.

You won't go wrong. Popular opinion is just that, an opinion biggrin.gif

Edit: It may be worth noting that rock and classic rock is a big part of my playlists, I'm not a huge female vocals fan. Guitars sound awesome with the T1  tongue.gif
Yes... I like the sound signature of DT880. Actually I tried DT990 as well before I made my purchased. Eventually I went for DT880. Bass on DT990 is really too much for me. Don't know why people complaint about the bass on DT880. I thought it was good.

I like the sound of T1 as well... but but... 5k... haven't reach that level yet... haha

Sadly I gotta sell off my DT880. Can't afford to keep it. Spend too much money in this hobby... haha...

Now Mojo is coming as well... haha... Will stop at Mojo...

Oh well... that's what I said after purchasing HE-400i... haha

Interested in TFZ series 3 now devil.gif

This post has been edited by youngy: May 27 2016, 12:18 PM
youngy
post May 27 2016, 01:37 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Lurker @ May 27 2016, 02:03 PM)
i got a dt880 600ohm for sale,
tak laku wehhhh....
I sold off my DT880 250ohm for RM700. Just 3 months after purchasing it due to upgraded.

Maybe because yours is 600ohm. Need to buy DAC/amp to drive it. Some don't wanna spend too much.

Good luck anyhow!

This post has been edited by youngy: May 27 2016, 01:46 PM
youngy
post May 27 2016, 03:09 PM

Casual

QUOTE(wildwestgoh @ May 27 2016, 03:27 PM)
I went straight to T1 from DT231 sweat.gif
Once the poison cut deep, it punches through wallet... real deep.
Why are you going for planar now? DT880 can't do for the bass already?  hmm.gif
Had a great deal for HE-400i. He-400i is more musical than DT880 and sometimes DT880 can sound alil fatiguing. Gaming wise, HE-400i preforms better than DT880.
Can't listen both together... So gotta sell it and it made me sad sad.gif

DT880 is my first step for greater things to come... and it will be missed...

Agree with you.. once you step your feet too deep... you'll never stop... just keep on spending... haha devil.gif

This post has been edited by youngy: May 27 2016, 03:10 PM

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0888sec    1.75    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 08:14 AM