Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Audiophile Lounge, Audiophile Lounge to chit chat

views

justone
post May 17 2019, 07:45 PM

justone
1,066 posts

Gonna try out the sp2000 once its around town here... pretty skeptical on the improvements compared to already exceptional sounding sp1000.
Ameerzs
post May 21 2019, 10:14 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

QUOTE(harry_croft84 @ May 15 2019, 09:58 PM)
My new baby just arrive

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
how it compare to hd800s
harry_croft84
post May 22 2019, 11:59 AM

Getting Started
69 posts

QUOTE(Ameerzs @ May 21 2019, 10:14 PM)
how it compare to hd800s
I never try hd800s yet. I'm consider newbie in audiophile world.

For short, I would say Edition XX sound very smooth. Not sure how to explain this.
The bass not to boomy(others would say lack bass). For me the treble is detailed but no being sibilant. I would say its a neutral headphone.

Ameerzs
post May 22 2019, 12:22 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

QUOTE(harry_croft84 @ May 22 2019, 11:59 AM)
I never try hd800s yet. I'm consider newbie in audiophile world.

For short, I would say Edition XX sound very smooth. Not sure how to explain this.
The bass not to boomy(others would say lack bass). For me the treble is detailed but no being sibilant. I would say its a neutral headphone.
What dac u use
harry_croft84
post May 22 2019, 12:43 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

QUOTE(Ameerzs @ May 22 2019, 12:22 PM)
What dac u use
dragon fly red + tidal Hifi/Master.
Lurker
post May 31 2019, 01:30 AM

L U R K I N G
Group Icon
Elite
4,285 posts

user posted image

back on sales guys!
Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier
youngy
post May 31 2019, 11:38 PM

Casual
389 posts

QUOTE(harry_croft84 @ May 15 2019, 10:58 PM)
My new baby just arrive

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Been eyeing that for awhile... Got kena kastam?

QUOTE(Lurker @ May 31 2019, 02:30 AM)
Just gotten mine. Set alarm at 1am just to purchased it. rclxm9.gif
harry_croft84
post Jun 1 2019, 08:53 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

QUOTE(youngy @ May 31 2019, 11:38 PM)
Been eyeing that for awhile... Got kena kastam?
Just gotten mine. Set alarm at 1am just to purchased it.  rclxm9.gif
Got bro. mine tax + fee = ~RM350
Currylaksa
post Jun 3 2019, 09:04 PM

Regular
1,616 posts

QUOTE(Lurker @ May 31 2019, 01:30 AM)
WTF disappear so fast shocking.gif
youngy
post Jun 4 2019, 12:21 AM

Casual
389 posts

QUOTE(Currylaksa @ Jun 3 2019, 10:04 PM)
WTF disappear so fast  shocking.gif
It took 5 hours to sold out for this round. Last time it was like less than an hour if not mistaken.
Lego Warfare
post Jun 4 2019, 12:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,302 posts

price went up by $50 if i'm not mistaken. That's why It took longer.
youngy
post Jun 4 2019, 11:14 AM

Casual
389 posts

QUOTE(Lego Warfare @ Jun 4 2019, 01:39 AM)
price went up by $50 if i'm not mistaken. That's why It took longer.
Yeap... they increased the price but it is still worth it. Hah
G_KeN
post Jun 6 2019, 11:53 AM

~~Cheers love <3~~
1,453 posts

QUOTE(youngy @ Jun 4 2019, 11:14 AM)
Yeap... they increased the price but it is still worth it. Hah
eh my friend bought a used unit at a price higher than retail price because of the hype.

at the end of the day, he was disappointed with the amp because it sounded almost the same as jds labs atom = transparent amp with no coloration whatsoever = not a good choice for quite a number of 'bright' sounding headphones like the HD800/S and the Focal. Its transparency is its own Achilles heel because it exposes the flaws of the headphones too (and no headphones r perfect).

I personally tested it at his house too for comparison n i kinda agree with his assessment. I mean its not like that they cant drive those headphones well, its just that ive heard better thru those type of headphones better with other amps. Even the 'veiled' sounding HD650 sounded better on similarly priced hybrid tube amps or OTL tube amps.

It's an amp that is overhyped by the community for being 'the only amp you'll ever need' or 'flagship killer' when it doesnt really do anything special, to be honest. Its a flat but bright-ish sounding amp, that excels in all 'objective measurements' in which most of the measurements' differences cant be discerned with our own ears lol. Is it a great USD500 amp? Yeah. but is it an amp that punches way above its price point? urmm.. not too sure about that one.

But as always, synergy is the key. If u have bright headphones like those from the hifiman, beyers, fostex, hd800/s, focal elex, etc, i think u should try other amp if u want to reduce ur chance getting permanent tinnitus laugh.gif

so yeah, if u want a 'budget' thx 789 and has a pair of headphones that dont require too much power like the HD660S, get the jds labs atom instead. From there, u can decide whether or not u want to upgrade to thx789 because their sound is similar except maybe thx789 is slightly better in terms of technicalities (but not by much).

This post has been edited by G_KeN: Jun 6 2019, 12:05 PM
TSjoshuachew
post Jun 7 2019, 11:00 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

user posted image
Sony WM-1Z > DHC Symbiote SP Silver with 0.76mm 2 pin > Vision Ears VE8

user posted image
Sony WM-1Z > DHC Symbiote SP Silver with UE IPX > Ultimate Ears UE Live
ahmadfaizadnan
post Jun 7 2019, 11:12 PM

Casual
429 posts

https://shopee.com.my/Singxer-SDA-2-DAC-NOS...7231.2207711708

Wonder if anyone ever tried/has this at home. Any comment on the sound?
youngy
post Jun 8 2019, 12:28 AM

Casual
389 posts

QUOTE(G_KeN @ Jun 6 2019, 12:53 PM)
eh my friend bought a used unit at a price higher than retail price because of the hype.

at the end of the day, he was disappointed with the amp because it sounded almost the same as jds labs atom = transparent amp with no coloration whatsoever = not a good choice for quite a number of 'bright' sounding headphones like the HD800/S and the Focal. Its transparency is its own Achilles heel because it exposes the flaws of the headphones too (and no headphones r perfect).

I personally tested it at his house too for comparison n i kinda agree with his assessment. I mean its not like that they cant drive those headphones well, its just that ive heard better thru those type of headphones better with other amps. Even the 'veiled' sounding HD650 sounded better on similarly priced hybrid tube amps or OTL tube amps. 

It's an amp that is overhyped by the community for being 'the only amp you'll ever need' or 'flagship killer' when it doesnt really do anything special, to be honest. Its a flat but bright-ish sounding amp, that excels in all 'objective measurements' in which most of the measurements' differences cant be discerned with our own ears lol. Is it a great USD500 amp? Yeah. but is it an amp that punches way above its price point? urmm.. not too sure about that one. 

But as always, synergy is the key. If u have bright headphones like those from the hifiman, beyers, fostex, hd800/s, focal elex, etc, i think u should try other amp if u want to reduce ur chance getting permanent tinnitus laugh.gif

so yeah, if u want a 'budget' thx 789 and has a pair of headphones that dont require too much power like the HD660S, get the jds labs atom instead. From there, u can decide whether or not u want to upgrade to thx789 because their sound is similar except maybe thx789 is slightly better in terms of technicalities (but not by much).
May I know which output you and your friend tested on the THX amp? Heard that the SE output does a similar job as JDS atom as you mentioned.

The reason I joined the drop was because I wanted to try out 4 pin XLR output.

Hope it won't disappoint me. sweat.gif

There is no reason for me to go for JDS Atom since I'm currently owning a Chord Mojo.

Thanks for the head ups though! Much appreciated. notworthy.gif
G_KeN
post Jun 8 2019, 04:04 PM

~~Cheers love <3~~
1,453 posts

QUOTE(youngy @ Jun 8 2019, 12:28 AM)
May I know which output you and your friend tested on the THX amp? Heard that the SE output does a similar job as JDS atom as you mentioned.

The reason I joined the drop was because I wanted to try out 4 pin XLR output.

Hope it won't disappoint me.  sweat.gif

There is no reason for me to go for JDS Atom since I'm currently owning a Chord Mojo.

Thanks for the head ups though! Much appreciated.  notworthy.gif
both SE and balanced. balanced more power than SE. SE on thx still a bit more powerful than jds labs atom but wont make much of a difference if you r listening to easy-to-drive headphones like Senn HD660S. the main takeaway here is that they both share similar sound signature that is flat with a bit of tilt to bright (due to how transparent the amp section on both). that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the headphones that you r going to pair it with. they produce sound that the headphones r meant to sound like, n that includes exposing the flaws of the said headphones. which is why if u go to upper echelon of the head-fi gears, most people dont really bother with 'transparent flat sound' because they dont necessarily equates to better music enjoyment. most high end users tend to go for that exotic tube amps to 'mask' the flaws of the headphones. additionally, most higher end headphones have 'bright' sound signature with the exception of very few models.

the balanced output of the THX 789 is not fully balanced. it uses some sort of converter for it. but still, balanced or not, the performance is based on the topology of the amp. some balanced amps have SE output but they r there for convenience only n u can only get the full performance out of the balanced output/input. some SE amps only have SE output but can produce sound better than balanced amps from balanced output. thx 789 is one of very few amps that does not sacrifice too much of the SE output despite having 'balanced' output. so there's that.

chord mojo has a decent dac section, but the amp section leaves a lot to be desired. jds labs atom, liquid spark, magni 3 (all usd100 each) r all amp units, n they all have better amping capabilities in comparison with amp section of the mojo. sold my mojo a couple of years ago because i dont want to deal with their battery replacement laugh.gif . because once the battery is dead, u cant use it even if u connect it to ur laptop/pc via usb because it uses more power than usb power.

This post has been edited by G_KeN: Jun 8 2019, 04:07 PM
justone
post Jun 12 2019, 10:37 PM

justone
1,066 posts

QUOTE(joshuachew @ Jun 7 2019, 11:00 PM)
user posted image
Sony WM-1Z > DHC Symbiote SP Silver with 0.76mm 2 pin > Vision Ears VE8

user posted image
Sony WM-1Z > DHC Symbiote SP Silver with UE IPX > Ultimate Ears UE Live
how that VE sounds compared to UE live?
dayojah
post Jun 12 2019, 10:48 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

Do you have a figure for the amplifier output resistance?
Headphone treble balance is affected by this.
G_KeN
post Jul 5 2019, 09:17 PM

~~Cheers love <3~~
1,453 posts

ooof that verum1 thread on headfi.. how convenient of them to just delete the posts and locked the thread lmao

149 Pages « < 145 146 147 148 149 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0299sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:59 AM