Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Dell Dimension 4700 always freeze/hang, i suspect thermal/ram/cap problems.... (Hardware)

speedoom
post Dec 26 2006, 11:15 PM, updated 12y ago

Casual
Group: Junior Member

my friend Dell 4700 (year 2004/05) always freeze/hang since the 1st few months he got the pc
he already called dell, but problem not solved .... warranty over, so do not talk about it anymore
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

when his pc freeze, everything not responding including keyboard n mouse n have to restart......
at the back got 4 LED for diagnostic, when freeze all LED were green which mean no problem doh.gif (amber if got probs)

yesterday n today i went to to his house trying to fix n figure out the problems....
we open the casing, clean everything inside all fans including GC fan from dust, tidy up the cables, n then reformat n do clean windows installation back....but it still hang

2 things i notice , after few hours (1~2 hour) his side panel feel really hot, can fry egg summore, eventhough we're not running any games or extensive progs.
his 4700 only have 3 fans, 1 at PSU, 1 at GC n another 1 at the rear casing for procs, only got heatsink on top of the procs........
same with my Dell 4600 (diff maybe only motherboard etc n side panel , casing n placement same design with mine)

but the the rear fan for procs spin n feel quite slow, max 29xxRPM n the wierd thing is it sucks air shocking.gif rclxub.gif it should exhaust hot air right?
my 4600 fan spin n feel faster than his n it exhaust hot air whistling.gif

at the moment im quite the sure the problem is because of overheating, fan spin slow n doing opposite what it should sweat.gif

This post has been edited by speedoom: Dec 29 2006, 01:28 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
speedoom
post Dec 26 2006, 11:27 PM

Casual

look what i found...

1. Dell(tm) Dimension(tm) 4700 Fan Orientation

Recently, several online forums and web logs (blogs) have reported that the system fan on the Dell(tm) Dimension(tm) 4700 was installed incorrectly (backwards) from the factory.

While it is true that the fans are installed "backwards" in the system, it is wrong to say this was done incorrectly or by mistake.

The Dimension 4700 system shipped with an aggressive system configuration that required more direct airflow than previously shipped Dimension systems. For this reason, Dell engineering modified the airflow in the Dimension 4700 to support a cooling solution designed with the fan pulling air into the chassis. The air is pulled in through the back of the chassis and is directed straight to the CPU heat sink and CPU voltage regulator before finally passing by the hard drive and out the front of the chassis.

It is correct to say the airflow is backward compared to other Dimension systems. However, without this difference in thermal design, the Dimension 4700 system would not perform nearly as well

now i have no idea how to solve the prob sweat.gif
night killer
post Dec 26 2006, 11:37 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

change the faster fan canot? p 4 3.0 e was damn hot actually but dell was only got default casing of it i think maybe your fan was to slow that why hot like wat u say ... if see still canot u make the extension power to get the faster fan for it i think should be ok but remember clean the dust ...for 3 month time because when fan more fast the air more .. then the dust will be more faster get more also hahahah so just have a try
speedoom
post Dec 26 2006, 11:59 PM

Casual

QUOTE(night killer @ Dec 26 2006, 11:37 PM)
change the faster fan canot? p 4 3.0 e was damn hot actually but dell was only got default casing of it i think maybe your fan was to slow that why hot like wat u say ... if see still canot u make the extension power to get the faster fan for it i think should be ok but remember clean the dust ...for 3 month time because when fan more fast the air more .. then the dust will be more faster get more also hahahah so just have a try
change fan speed or change to another super better faster fan? tongue.gif
i dunno how to change the fan speed, no option in bios, can only see the fan speed when we run dell diagnostic prog. when running the test, the fan will adjust itself to fast ~2900rpm n slow ~1300rpm.......thats all n it pass the test sweat.gif

if see still canot u make the extension power to get the faster fan for it i think should be ok

i dont understand this part ??? blush.gif

i must say, eventhough he never clean his pc before but there was so little of dust inside n now after cleaning it's clean n clear wink.gif unlike mine, few months already full of dust cool2.gif

This post has been edited by speedoom: Dec 27 2006, 12:01 AM
speedoom
post Dec 28 2006, 09:02 AM

Casual

should he change or add fan??
at front,rear or side? to inhale or exhaust air?
rich8833
post Dec 28 2006, 09:13 AM

Look at my stars!

before adding any additional fan ...u hv to confirm if it is a ventilation problem..can u open up the casing and use a table fan to blow into the cpu. continue to use as normal and monitor if it hangs again..

biggrin.gif
speedoom
post Dec 28 2006, 09:46 AM

Casual

QUOTE(rich8833 @ Dec 28 2006, 09:13 AM)
before adding any additional fan ...u hv to confirm if it is a ventilation problem..can u open up the casing and use a table fan to blow into the cpu. continue to use as normal and monitor if it hangs again..

biggrin.gif
good idea rclxms.gif

now i need some prog that can strest test that pc for long period......... can suggest some?
btw , <3000rpm is't ok for fan?

viji278
post Apr 6 2009, 03:15 PM

Group: Newbie

May i know how much for dell Dimension 47100?

Added on April 6, 2009, 3:16 pmsoli typing error dell Dimension 4700

This post has been edited by viji278: Apr 6 2009, 03:16 PM
gunjack
post Aug 27 2009, 08:51 AM

Casual

im currently using my dell pc in air conditioner condition....may i adding more fan or not
gnush85
post Aug 27 2009, 09:07 AM

Customizy

confirm is air ventilation problem, the cool air in to cool down processor but never come out..if consider power supply to exhaust the hot air, it's not efficient, coz got alot blocking material and its fan is slow...
side window has place to add fan?coz i don't see any place could add any fan....
2900rpm is consider high speed, but when it running at that speed?lowest speed?temporary just let the side window open....
kira_mha
post Aug 27 2009, 09:48 AM

Getting Started

Can u make screenshot ur system temperature ?

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0726sec    1.33    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 04:08 AM