Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Yamaha AVR Thread v3.00, Discussions about Yamaha

views

teop
post Mar 19 2016, 12:08 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(bombaday @ Feb 20 2016, 04:19 PM)
Noted. Usually Yamaha sellers might bundle the V579/V679 with SPK160 at a lower price. So far these are the packages I have seen in Harvey Norman, Senheng, etc or online websites. Where else I might able to find Yamaha re-seller?
You might want to try Gemfive for the v697 for RM2019 after RM280 coupon if they still have stock. You might want to call desa home (kepong/lowyat) to confirm availability to avoid disappointment.

For spk160 you can try vbiz.com if you can self-collect, otherwise the transport cost will significant. They sell a range of yamaha products. Just remember that the prices shown is before gst. Prices have gone up since I bought from them at RM2109.40 inc. gst.
teop
post Sep 24 2018, 12:47 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Sep 6 2018, 09:46 PM)
Sorry for misleading, should rephrase Atmos found on those higher models (7.1 and above)
Hardly walk in into video shop as dont have disc player and source for video contents from internet
Usually the video file name will stated the content type and no aware any "atmos" on the filename, i guess without atmos if not stated.

Yup, i did research after my posts. Before the research, concerned that the new receiver investment may not able to last longer if atmos movie limited for atmos receiver. that is what happened recently that latest video source cannot pass thru my old receiver. sweat.gif that why i play safe and though of atmos in the first place.
beside of space, actually i limited myself to minimize the investment of AV, that why stick to 5.1 setup only.
because family always come first and planned for some other investment too.
I bought Yamaha 485, the rear surround speaker can be configure as "virtual front cinema". at least can use the speaker for other purposes. smile.gif
You need to check the specs of the file to be sure if atmos is supported, can't just rely on the filename.

I have to say that video formats seems to be worst offenders when it comes to backward compatibility!! Audio not so much. I won't worry that the audio format will go obsolete as much as video format. With atmos you now have practically 360° coverage, well except for your bottom!! I see diminishing returns have with more channels and not very practical for normal homes.

The good thing with smaller spaces is that your speakers can be smaller too!! You won't need as much power and cost less. Sure your front and center can be beefy, but your other speakers can be cheap. Those are for effects only anyway. Heck you can get away wth RM50 2-4inch speakers.

If budget is a concern then get 2nd hand or older generation. Heck by chance I got into atmos setup and have been enjoying it since. No regrets. Nevermind that I don't have dts-x, most use atmos anyway. No hdr or dv? My tv don't support them and can't afford to change. But I'm still enjoying what I have!! Audio tech is pretty stable the way I see it and video at this point it is a never ending race. People on a shoestring budget will have to play on a different level.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0802sec    1.15    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 02:10 AM