Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Yamaha AVR Thread v3.00, Discussions about Yamaha

views

SSJBen
post Aug 16 2017, 08:21 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 16 2017, 07:45 PM)
I try that bro.n even take my right spk plus wire to hook to left output of avr also same. If the transistor dead take long to repair n got any service center in penang. First time buy AVR outside my home town got this problem moreover only 18days old
Well it really sucks to hear that. Don't think there's a service center in Penang though.

Does the popping start the moment you turn on the receiver or after a while?
SSJBen
post Aug 16 2017, 10:34 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 16 2017, 08:28 PM)
Actually the popping sound started 3days in use but thought it was something from the sound system. Getting louder by days n notice something wrong. Ya the popping sound start immedialy the on button. Is it serious n can i still use it for time being n no service center so have to take down all the way to kl
Well I cannot be sure if it's the transformer causing the issue. Didn't take a look at it. The issue could also stem from the HDMI board, down to the op-amps. Really hard to tell.

I would advise not to play your speakers loud for the time being though.
SSJBen
post Aug 21 2017, 02:01 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 20 2017, 10:37 AM)
Hopefully after repair no more other problem have to pray hard bcos my home town away from sc very troublesome.
Fingers crossed for you bro. It truly sucks for a flagship receiver to have simple issues like these.
SSJBen
post Aug 23 2017, 03:13 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 23 2017, 02:45 PM)
Today call sc to to make sure they have receive my set n later one gentleman call me n confirm receive n even told me the digital board problem n will have to order part n will keep me in touch, forget to ask him why can happen since its very new. I think no chance to get it back bfore this month end.
Digital board problem is quite a vague term... could mean the HDMI controller, could mean the input/output connections, could mean the digital EI amp hmm.gif

Well at least you got a confirmation.
SSJBen
post Nov 6 2017, 04:20 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Nov 5 2017, 10:07 AM)
Anyway still waiting for Dolby Vision n HLG firmware upgrade. I think should be out very soon
Yamaha rep on AVS says December 2017.
SSJBen
post Nov 13 2017, 04:27 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(physdude @ Nov 12 2017, 08:17 PM)
I am using a Yamaha RX-A1060 with 3 KEF LS50s and a KEF HTB2 subwoofer for what is currently a 3.1 setup. I have just finished setting up everything after moving here so it is time to get the rear speakers now. However, I am worried if the A1060 can effectively power all the speakers if I get another LS50 pair for that purpose. The system works pretty well right now and it doesn't sound underpowered at all though every review indicates that the LS50s are very power hungry. Or should I go with a Q100 pair which should be timbre matched?
The better timbre match is actually the Q150/Q350 instead. The Q100/Q300 sounds nothing like the LS50 IMO.

Anyways to answer your question. Yes the LS50s are inefficient speakers, a 1060 at 5 channels driven puts out around 90-100 watts at 8ohms 20hz-20khz full bandwidth (rough calculation from me based on the stupid "JEITA" specification, whatever the hell JEITA means) at under 0.1% THD.

90 watts for most people, is enough. But wattage is related to how far you sit from your speakers, how loud you play and how big your room generally is (although room size is less important in comparison to the sub). If you are going to be doing things like "multi-stereo" for 5 channels at reference volume (good bye your ears) regularly where you sit like 20 ft away from your speakers, then no - 90 watts isn't going do your speakers any justice. You may even hear distortions and worse, clipping.

But there's more to just wattage for "power" as a measurement. Transients and clean delivery is also a factor in determining sound quality, especially when it comes to dynamics and the low end. The Aventage receivers has a fairly decent topology and they do well enough for their intended purposes. But Yamaha do have a hard limiter on their amps (which is why you'll rarely hear or see a Yamaha amp be hot enough to fry an egg) which in some cases, can indeed hurt dynamics.

Amps aren't super expensive now a days though - you have good quality amps at a considerably decent price like the Emotiva BasX line. So my suggestion is, get your rear speakers and hook it all up to your receiver. Hear how it sounds, hear if it's enough to hit your intended SPL, then decide if you need an external amp. Remember, you are also crossovering the sub-bass to your sub which takes the majority of power requirements on the LS50s.

TLDR; The worst decision you can make in this hobby is to buy everything at once and then realize you don't need the extras. Do it one at a time.
SSJBen
post Nov 15 2017, 05:41 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(physdude @ Nov 15 2017, 12:57 AM)
Thanks so much for a very informative post! I don't listen to my music very loud as I mostly listen to classical music and also because I sit fairly close to the speakers. For the movies, a tiny bit of distortion in the loud scenes will probably not matter that much (clipping, of course, will be very bad). Hence, I think the 1060 will probably be sufficient for me. Thanks for the info about the Q100 not being timbre-matched. I think I might just about splurge for the additional LS50 pair and see how it works out.
No problem, good luck!

Love the LS50s too. Great speakers.
SSJBen
post Nov 23 2017, 04:20 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Nov 22 2017, 11:34 PM)
To do hard reset press main n ? I forget aldy.anyone can recall please input.tq
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Nov 23 2017, 04:20 PM
SSJBen
post Jan 10 2018, 04:25 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Updated through USB, zero issues for me. Make sure you download the file from the correct region. The MD5 hash for US, EU and Asia firmware is DIFFERENT.
SSJBen
post Jan 22 2018, 04:45 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Jan 22 2018, 01:20 PM)
Guys is it possible i request for a 1 to 1 change for my AVR  since under warranty n in the spate of 5 months break down 3 times. Problem is the volume go crazy it will crank up by itself to max volume n after that the avr just turn off itself. My worry is it might spoil my spk. Aldy send to yammy sc n each time after repair come back will last about 1month n the symtion come back.
It seems that there might be something wrong with not just with the AVR itself, but also your internal home wiring?

Ask Yamaha directly for a 1 to 1 exchange. I don't think asking a forum will give you an answer in regards to warranty issues.
SSJBen
post Jan 22 2018, 05:29 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Jan 22 2018, 05:25 PM)
Bro.i call just now n they on line chat n check with my avr data n confirm my avr problem not my wiring n even i play stereo with my pre n power amp no problem at all.
Then ask them how is it that they fix it 3 times and problem still occurs. Ask them to give you a full diagnostic report instead of just vague responses.
SSJBen
post Jan 23 2018, 07:49 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(allycat @ Jan 23 2018, 05:30 PM)
Hi,
I'm a newbie to Yamaha avr. Been using Denon all the while since starting home theater.

My current Denon 3311 just had a problem that may be not economical to repair. So after looking around, I got an offer for a Yamaha RX-A860 at RM3300. I know this is a 2016 model but I don't mind.

Is this a good offer?

After reading through this forum, I noticed many forummers experienced many hardware problems. So are Yamaha AVRs really that problematic?

As a comparison, my Denon 3311 is 8 years old n this is its first problem.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
@bolded
I think that's a poor deal. Should never get an A800 series for more than RM3k, they are basically just a mainstream V600/700 series on drugs (the 700 series is not available in our region).

You read more hardware problems from Yamaha in Malaysia because Yamaha is the no.1 best selling company for AVRs in this country, BY FAR. Like, you could combine Pioneer+Onkyo AVR sales in the last 3 years and it would still pale in comparison to Yamaha. So obviously, more products sold = more opinions = more complaints. The percentage of Yamaha AVRs in this market simply dwarfs the others.

Similarly if you read US sites like AVS, you'd see there are more Denon complaints than ANYONE else because why? Denon owns the large share of the market there. Go to UK forums like AVF, then you'll see that Pioneer gets the most heated discussions.

So don't just look at one side of the discussion when it comes to reliability.
SSJBen
post Jan 25 2018, 12:16 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(allycat @ Jan 24 2018, 10:19 PM)
Thanks for the advice.

Any recommendation for my budget of rm3000?
If you don't mind second hand, I think RM3k can net you atleast a Yamaha RXA1050 if you look around.

Here's an RXA2040 for RM2950 - https://www.facebook.com/Actsessory/posts/1585594064864397
SSJBen
post Feb 7 2018, 03:42 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Harddisk @ Feb 6 2018, 09:20 PM)
Any YSP-2700 user here? Wanna ask about sound test from this site,  https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/tools/

My sub is silent when it reaches LFE test. Is it normal?
Yes it's normal. Your sub only consists of a 5" woofer, in a cabinet barely the size of a 3 ft stool with amplification that doesn't even breach 150w RMS. So of course it's normal that the sub does not even try and play LFE content hence you hear nothing, which I account it to be a smart design.
Trying to play 20hz content with a sub that small is just asking for trouble.
SSJBen
post Sep 6 2018, 03:15 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 11:07 PM)
I just to check out the right AV receiver for longer lifespan as support most of audio standard if possible. My options limited to 5.1 only as limited space for more speakers. But hardly to find 5.1 AV receiver supported for Atmos, so far i found Onkyo 474 and Pioneer 832 (no available in Malaysia).
Huuuhhh?? rclxub.gif
You do understand that Atmos costs money for manufacturers to put onto their receivers right? Dolby collects royalty for it.

Also, what do you mean by only high-end models support Atmos? Yamaha's own RXV585 (which is a 7.1 receiver) which is their middle range receiver in their mainstream RXV series supports Atmos. You don't have to go for an Aventage to get Atmos if that's what you were assuming?

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 07:15 PM)
So far atmos feature available on high end model only, unsure worth for investment as I can't find any movie contents with atmos in the market yet.

Concerned that atmos contents may not able to process by other Dolby audio system and muted. Ended up for another investment just bcos of atmos. sweat.gif I guess it won't occur since 7.1 contents compatible with 5.1 speakers system.
There are literally HUNDREDS of movies in Atmos now, I find it surprising that you said you have not found a single one.

I think you are mistaken about something here. Atmos is just object audio metadata put ontop of a lossless Dolby TrueHD track. If the receiver cannot decode Atmos, then the receiver will simply just play the TrueHD track. This goes the same for DTSX tracks as well - which the receiver will just play DTS-HD MA instead. You just lose the object audio, which is already pre-mixed into the standard lossless TrueHD/DTSHD track.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Sep 6 2018, 03:16 PM
SSJBen
post Sep 7 2018, 04:58 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

If you are going to keep worrying, you're never going to get anything.

Guess what? All receivers are/were already outdated because not a single one of them supports HDMI 2.1 which is set to be the standard come 2019 and 2020.
SSJBen
post Dec 21 2020, 06:00 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Dec 21 2020, 01:14 PM)
yamaha rxv4a new model. come 5.2ch and 8k hdmi port
front panel is 1 big knob only. unlike earlier shapes
It's only 5.1, not 5.2. The other sub output is internally Y connected to the first sub output. There is no stereo bass output nor can you individually EQ each sub on the V4a, so you can't call it 5.2.
SSJBen
post Apr 5 2022, 04:42 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Apr 4 2022, 01:51 PM)
Is there any different in front n rear atmos settings like elevation, overhead and dolby enable spk.tq
Home release atmos tracks are mastered for overhead speakers. But because Atmos also supports front and rear height elevation/presence location which is used in commercial theatres, setting it to elevation/presence in the receiver will tell it to process any height effects to be properly placed for front and rear height presence speakers.

That's pretty much the difference, they will sound exactly the same assuming your presence speakers are mounted properly to begin with.

Do not use dolby enabled setting unless you're using those silly upfiring speakers.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Apr 5 2022, 04:43 PM
SSJBen
post Apr 7 2022, 11:46 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Apr 7 2022, 11:02 PM)
Actually i am using in ceiling for atmos but lately some vibration on the ceiling board, so i change to dolby atmos speaker ( KEF Q50a ) but i put up as front elevation n rear elevation instead of up firing. Question is for rear height can it be place as side height instead of rear height.
Yeah they can be placed on side walls and work as rear heights.

The key to wall mounting height speakers is angle.
SSJBen
post Apr 8 2022, 08:34 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Apr 8 2022, 03:29 PM)
Which is better side height or rear height, presently i am using rear height but feel like not enough oomp but at the same time ask opinion first before shift to side height n dont want to simply drill extra hole, moreover this Kef keyhole is very hard to put in bcos small n double holes
Can you show a pic of your room?

Like I said, it's all about angles. In order to be within Atmos specifications, the distance and height will be what determines the angle of the speaker when mounted.

So without any dimensions knowledge of your room, I can't tell you which would be better.

6 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.22    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:45 PM