30 Pages « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Yamaha AVR Thread v3.00, Discussions about Yamaha

views

sonerin
post Apr 19 2018, 02:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Safe to say that with low volume that you are currently using is not going to be much issue. Timber matching is saying to use same brand and model of speaker to have same sound signature. See you in FB
gkl83
post Aug 31 2018, 09:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

Hi guys, I planned for Yamaha RX-V485. Is it worth to go? About the Atmos, as heard some receiver can be upgrade via firmware. Not sure can be done on 85 series.
sonerin
post Aug 31 2018, 06:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 09:44 AM)
Hi guys, I planned for Yamaha RX-V485. Is it worth to go? About the Atmos, as heard some receiver can be upgrade via firmware. Not sure can be done on 85 series.
If you want atmos get the version that has it. Don’t hope for firmware upgrade
gkl83
post Aug 31 2018, 07:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Aug 31 2018, 06:52 PM)
If you want atmos get the version that has it. Don’t hope for firmware upgrade
So far atmos feature available on high end model only, unsure worth for investment as I can't find any movie contents with atmos in the market yet.

Concerned that atmos contents may not able to process by other Dolby audio system and muted. Ended up for another investment just bcos of atmos. sweat.gif I guess it won't occur since 7.1 contents compatible with 5.1 speakers system.
sonerin
post Aug 31 2018, 09:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 07:15 PM)
So far atmos feature available on high end model only, unsure worth for investment as I can't find any movie contents with atmos in the market yet.

Concerned that atmos contents may not able to process by other Dolby audio system and muted. Ended up for another investment just bcos of atmos. sweat.gif I guess it won't occur since 7.1 contents compatible with 5.1 speakers system.
There are plenty of low end models had atmos. No offence but majority of movie since 2017 are atmos or dts x content. Sound format are all backward compatible. Not sure what is your concern.
gkl83
post Aug 31 2018, 11:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Aug 31 2018, 09:16 PM)
There are plenty of low end models had atmos. No offence but majority of movie since 2017 are atmos or dts x content. Sound format are all backward compatible. Not sure what is your concern.

I just to check out the right AV receiver for longer lifespan as support most of audio standard if possible. My options limited to 5.1 only as limited space for more speakers. But hardly to find 5.1 AV receiver supported for Atmos, so far i found Onkyo 474 and Pioneer 832 (no available in Malaysia).

This post has been edited by gkl83: Aug 31 2018, 11:08 PM
SSJBen
post Sep 6 2018, 03:15 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 11:07 PM)
I just to check out the right AV receiver for longer lifespan as support most of audio standard if possible. My options limited to 5.1 only as limited space for more speakers. But hardly to find 5.1 AV receiver supported for Atmos, so far i found Onkyo 474 and Pioneer 832 (no available in Malaysia).
Huuuhhh?? rclxub.gif
You do understand that Atmos costs money for manufacturers to put onto their receivers right? Dolby collects royalty for it.

Also, what do you mean by only high-end models support Atmos? Yamaha's own RXV585 (which is a 7.1 receiver) which is their middle range receiver in their mainstream RXV series supports Atmos. You don't have to go for an Aventage to get Atmos if that's what you were assuming?

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 07:15 PM)

There are literally HUNDREDS of movies in Atmos now, I find it surprising that you said you have not found a single one.

I think you are mistaken about something here. Atmos is just object audio metadata put ontop of a lossless Dolby TrueHD track. If the receiver cannot decode Atmos, then the receiver will simply just play the TrueHD track. This goes the same for DTSX tracks as well - which the receiver will just play DTS-HD MA instead. You just lose the object audio, which is already pre-mixed into the standard lossless TrueHD/DTSHD track.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Sep 6 2018, 03:16 PM
tbcheese
post Sep 6 2018, 04:21 PM

Casual
311 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Aug 31 2018, 11:07 PM)
Yeah for some reason Yamaha's 7.1 channel AVR are perfectly happy running in a 3.1.2 config while the same is not extended to their 5.1 range. Maybe it's the price range which does not justify including the Atmos license or that the 3.1.2 setup is such a compromise on listening experience that it is not worth adding the support for.

Understand that you have space limitations but I have seen and experienced "rear surround" speakers mounted on the ceiling above the listening position. It's not ideal but it works.
gkl83
post Sep 6 2018, 09:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Sep 6 2018, 03:15 PM)
Huuuhhh??  rclxub.gif
You do understand that Atmos costs money for manufacturers to put onto their receivers right? Dolby collects royalty for it.

Also, what do you mean by only high-end models support Atmos? Yamaha's own RXV585 (which is a 7.1 receiver) which is their middle range receiver in their mainstream RXV series supports Atmos. You don't have to go for an Aventage to get Atmos if that's what you were assuming?
There are literally HUNDREDS of movies in Atmos now, I find it surprising that you said you have not found a single one.

I think you are mistaken about something here. Atmos is just object audio metadata put ontop of a lossless Dolby TrueHD track. If the receiver cannot decode Atmos, then the receiver will simply just play the TrueHD track. This goes the same for DTSX tracks as well - which the receiver will just play DTS-HD MA instead. You just lose the object audio, which is already pre-mixed into the standard lossless TrueHD/DTSHD track.

Sorry for misleading, should rephrase Atmos found on those higher models (7.1 and above)
Hardly walk in into video shop as dont have disc player and source for video contents from internet
Usually the video file name will stated the content type and no aware any "atmos" on the filename, i guess without atmos if not stated.

Yup, i did research after my posts. Before the research, concerned that the new receiver investment may not able to last longer if atmos movie limited for atmos receiver. that is what happened recently that latest video source cannot pass thru my old receiver. sweat.gif that why i play safe and though of atmos in the first place.

QUOTE(tbcheese @ Sep 6 2018, 04:21 PM)
Yeah for some reason Yamaha's 7.1 channel AVR are perfectly happy running in a 3.1.2 config while the same is not extended to their 5.1 range. Maybe it's the price range which does not justify including the Atmos license or that the 3.1.2 setup is such a compromise on listening experience that it is not worth adding the support for.

Understand that you have space limitations but I have seen and experienced "rear surround" speakers mounted on the ceiling above the listening position. It's not ideal but it works.

beside of space, actually i limited myself to minimize the investment of AV, that why stick to 5.1 setup only.
because family always come first and planned for some other investment too.
I bought Yamaha 485, the rear surround speaker can be configure as "virtual front cinema". at least can use the speaker for other purposes. smile.gif
SSJBen
post Sep 7 2018, 04:58 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

If you are going to keep worrying, you're never going to get anything.

Guess what? All receivers are/were already outdated because not a single one of them supports HDMI 2.1 which is set to be the standard come 2019 and 2020.
tbcheese
post Sep 8 2018, 08:20 PM

Casual
311 posts

Picked up an A880 today.

Don't like the remote. It's rubberised which means it'll get sticky in the future and doesn't seem to allow quick select of source. It has to scroll through it.

HyppTV box still causing issues with ARC.

Set up process is better compared to my old RX-V465. Need to run in before commenting on the sound.
sonerin
post Sep 12 2018, 07:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Yamaha launching new processor CX-A5200
teop
post Sep 24 2018, 12:47 AM

Getting Started
84 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Sep 6 2018, 09:46 PM)
Sorry for misleading, should rephrase Atmos found on those higher models (7.1 and above)
Hardly walk in into video shop as dont have disc player and source for video contents from internet
Usually the video file name will stated the content type and no aware any "atmos" on the filename, i guess without atmos if not stated.

Yup, i did research after my posts. Before the research, concerned that the new receiver investment may not able to last longer if atmos movie limited for atmos receiver. that is what happened recently that latest video source cannot pass thru my old receiver. sweat.gif that why i play safe and though of atmos in the first place.
beside of space, actually i limited myself to minimize the investment of AV, that why stick to 5.1 setup only.
because family always come first and planned for some other investment too.
I bought Yamaha 485, the rear surround speaker can be configure as "virtual front cinema". at least can use the speaker for other purposes. smile.gif
You need to check the specs of the file to be sure if atmos is supported, can't just rely on the filename.

I have to say that video formats seems to be worst offenders when it comes to backward compatibility!! Audio not so much. I won't worry that the audio format will go obsolete as much as video format. With atmos you now have practically 360° coverage, well except for your bottom!! I see diminishing returns have with more channels and not very practical for normal homes.

The good thing with smaller spaces is that your speakers can be smaller too!! You won't need as much power and cost less. Sure your front and center can be beefy, but your other speakers can be cheap. Those are for effects only anyway. Heck you can get away wth RM50 2-4inch speakers.

If budget is a concern then get 2nd hand or older generation. Heck by chance I got into atmos setup and have been enjoying it since. No regrets. Nevermind that I don't have dts-x, most use atmos anyway. No hdr or dv? My tv don't support them and can't afford to change. But I'm still enjoying what I have!! Audio tech is pretty stable the way I see it and video at this point it is a never ending race. People on a shoestring budget will have to play on a different level.
Dickong
post Mar 18 2019, 09:10 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

I upgrade my avr firmware few days back but seem this firmware got bug bcos randomly no sound or if skip chapter also some time no sound before i upgrade the firmware nothing of this happen. my question is how can i revert back to the previous firmware.tq
Harddisk
post Mar 19 2019, 01:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,880 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Mar 18 2019, 09:10 PM)
I upgrade my avr firmware few days back but seem this firmware got bug bcos randomly no sound or if skip chapter also some time no sound before i upgrade the firmware nothing of this happen. my question is how can i revert back to the previous firmware.tq
2 of my devices can't browse my DLNA instead.
Dickong
post Mar 20 2019, 05:02 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

Problem solve by reverting to previous firmware n a very big thanks to Mr. Chia from yamaha service center
Harddisk
post Mar 20 2019, 05:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,880 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Mar 20 2019, 05:02 PM)
Problem solve by reverting to previous firmware n a very big thanks to Mr. Chia from yamaha service center
You carried your AVR to service centre or can do it at home?
Dickong
post Mar 20 2019, 05:50 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

QUOTE(Harddisk @ Mar 20 2019, 05:23 PM)
You carried your AVR to service centre or can do it at home?
I do it at home by following Mr Chia ( from Yamaha service center) instruction n luckily i still keep the previous firmware in my pendrive so as to downgrade the firmware but now the information setting there keep bugging us to upgrade the newer firmware but i just ignore it
I have to thank mr chia for the fast response n help he provide me.

This post has been edited by Dickong: Mar 20 2019, 05:54 PM
kskoay
post Aug 15 2019, 10:06 AM

On my way
659 posts

QUOTE(tbcheese @ Sep 8 2018, 08:20 PM)
Picked up an A880 today.

Don't like the remote. It's rubberised which means it'll get sticky in the future and doesn't seem to allow quick select of source. It has to scroll through it.

HyppTV box still causing issues with ARC.

Set up process is better compared to my old RX-V465. Need to run in before commenting on the sound.
this model is entry level for Aventage range, right? how much you bought it?

i wonder will there be any significant improvement compare RX-V685 and A880....

This post has been edited by kskoay: Aug 15 2019, 03:21 PM
sonerin
post Aug 16 2019, 09:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(kskoay @ Aug 15 2019, 10:06 AM)
this model is entry level for Aventage range, right? how much you bought it?

i wonder will there be any significant improvement compare RX-V685 and A880....
Yes a lot different

30 Pages « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:17 PM