Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Yamaha AVR Thread v3.00, Discussions about Yamaha

views

Fusion
post Aug 14 2017, 11:42 AM

.:ATI:.
1,198 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 11 2017, 04:04 PM)
I find that YPAO flat is often times too much. The whole issue with YPAO flat is that it does full bandwidth EQing, which is not optimal. Also the fact that YPAO only has 1/6th octave resolution, trying to EQ the entire bandwidth is just not good enough. Then there's also the problem with the mics that is being supplied with the receivers, unfortunately for them - when it gets above 1khz, the mic becomes too directional and simply overcompensate for everything.

This is why I choose YPAO Natural where the highs are mostly untouched. I copy the Natural preset to Manual, drop anything else that is excessive (in my case, 2khz region).

Additionally, I know this is 'frowned' upon - but I engage "Enhancer" (not to be confused with the Enhanced DSP) mode as well for movies. To me it sounds bigger and gutsier for movies, very dynamic and punchy. It's only a subtle change, one that is good enough not to add distortion which is the case with many "enhancer" mode on a lot of other devices. Try it out with an open mind, you may be surprised.
That's because the BD450 is not a 4k player and thus can have incompatibility issues with Mode 1. This is the reason why all Yamaha receivers (as well as most other receivers from any other manufacturer) has Mode 2 set as the default to ensure compatibility with legacy devices.

Another example, I still have an old PS3 that I occasionally use with my backup RX-A850. If I set the A850 to Mode 1, the PS3 simply will not display anything. Only Mode 2 works.

But for all current-gen devices, if you want to have the full benefit of HDMI 2.1 with HDR or 4:4:4 cs, Mode 1 needs to be enabled. That's just the way it works.
intresting. i will go try out the Enchancer mode later today.

Even with YPAO set to natural, the entire EQ spectrum of 4khz and above and been increased by about 3db averagely. My ATC is already a very detail and revealing speaker yet the YPAO would still increase the highs.

i plan to recalibrate all the EQ for the speaker with my Umik this weekend.

i just watched The Great Wall yesterday. The atmos of in the show is really quite good. one of the better movies to showcase Atmos.

I shouldnt have watched this show in the KLIAV show last month. in comparison to the DLA-Z1, my JVC X5000 looks so dull an boring...sad.gif
SSJBen
post Aug 14 2017, 02:40 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Fusion @ Aug 14 2017, 11:42 AM)
intresting. i will go try out the Enchancer mode later today.

Even with YPAO set to natural, the entire EQ spectrum of 4khz and above and been increased by about 3db averagely. My ATC is already a very detail and revealing speaker yet the YPAO would still increase the highs.

i plan to recalibrate all the EQ for the speaker with my Umik this weekend.

i just watched The Great Wall yesterday. The atmos of in the show is really quite good. one of the better movies to showcase Atmos.

I shouldnt have watched this show in the KLIAV show last month. in comparison to the DLA-Z1, my JVC X5000 looks so dull an boring...sad.gif
Yes, YPAO loves to boost the treble range for some reason. My guess is that it boosts it enough so that it goes above the room frequency for flutter echoes which is filtered out with RSC.

Either ways, I get a +4db boost at 2khz with my Sierra towers which is equipped with ribbon tweeters. Ear bleeding stuff lol.

Yeah try Enhancer out, it works best with lossy codecs like the old vanilla DTS or DD 5.1. Lossless, not so much. Of course it depends on the mastering of the track as well.
sonerin
post Aug 14 2017, 03:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 13 2017, 08:17 PM)
I agree with u after certain length hdmi degrade but better quality or better grade hdmi wont have this problem. My experence with mode 1 even 3m or 4m low grade hdmi cable also doesnt work, either no display or both sound n display, n when i change to better hdmi cable it work like a charm. Secondly when use full hd bd player with good hdmi cable n mode 1 it totally doesnt work. My conclusion is mode 1 is definately for 4k useage, whether tv or projector.
Yes no doubt mode 1 is for 4k. The problem I have is the long cable which is 12 meters which is a HDMI 2.0 cable but those quality type cable. Is just reasonable type of HDMI and the video cannot be display with just audio only. I have no doubt the mode 1 can work with TV or projector.

SSJBen
post Aug 14 2017, 05:55 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 13 2017, 08:17 PM)
I agree with u after certain length hdmi degrade but better quality or better grade hdmi wont have this problem. My experence with mode 1 even 3m or 4m low grade hdmi cable also doesnt work, either no display or both sound n display, n when i change to better hdmi cable it work like a charm. Secondly when use full hd bd player with good hdmi cable n mode 1 it totally doesnt work. My conclusion is mode 1 is definately for 4k useage, whether tv or projector.
Currently there are only 2 types of HDMI cables, officially:

1) HDMI cables capable of 10.2gbps bandwidth
or
2) HDMI cables capable of 18.2gbps bandwidth

Officially speaking, there is no such thing as a labeled "HDMI 1.4" or "HDMI 2.0" cable. A "HDMI 1.0" cable made in 2007 can work with 4k30hz under a certain length (2-3m), I have one that I bought with my PS3 back then and I can verify that it works! I could call that a HDMI 2.0 cable and not many would bat an eye.

It sounds dumb when you think about people arguing over HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0 cable, because they are basically the same damn thing. It's funny when people go to a store and ask "do you sell HDMI 2.0 cables?" when in actual fact, almost no store in Malaysia carries a certified High-Speed 18.2gbps cable.
One can ONLY differentiate them if the cable is certified High-Speed (not suka2 labeled by a manufacturer) or if they test it out with high bandwidth content.

Back on topic with Yamaha receivers, when you enable Mode 1 the receiver tells the source that it expects a full 8-bit 4:4:4 at 4k60hz or 10-bit 4k60hz at 4:2:2 - thus if your source cannot provide that, it creates an incompatibility issue. This isn't ALWAYS the case, but as you have experienced - it can happen.
My HTPC defaulted to 1080p60 at first and I could not select 4k60 4:4:4 with Mode 1, I solved this by creating a "custom" 2160p resolution (Nvidia GPU here) resolution and force it to run in 4:2:2 at 10bit. So yes, a bit of work around is needed. But the point is, 1080p was detected as a default resolution with Mode 1 on my HTPC.
Dickong
post Aug 15 2017, 08:25 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Aug 12 2017, 01:38 PM)
yes it can
Bro.dont mind how u play music file from pendrive at avr usb port.tq
Dickong
post Aug 16 2017, 06:56 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

Need sifu help my A3060 left surround got popping sound even at mute, wiring i check ok n even swap to right spk right spk also got popping sound
SSJBen
post Aug 16 2017, 07:31 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 16 2017, 06:56 PM)
Need sifu help my A3060 left surround got popping sound even at mute, wiring i check ok n even swap to right spk right spk also got popping sound
Yikes.

Usually popping sound is caused by a dead transistor on the transformer. One last test to try, can you use the surround right speaker cable and hook it up to left surround post on the receiver, then connect it to a speaker? If popping noise continues, this confirms a dead transistor.
Dickong
post Aug 16 2017, 07:45 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 16 2017, 07:31 PM)
Yikes.

Usually popping sound is caused by a dead transistor on the transformer. One last test to try, can you use the surround right speaker cable and hook it up to left surround post on the receiver, then connect it to a speaker? If popping noise continues, this confirms a dead transistor.
I try that bro.n even take my right spk plus wire to hook to left output of avr also same. If the transistor dead take long to repair n got any service center in penang. First time buy AVR outside my home town got this problem moreover only 18days old

This post has been edited by Dickong: Aug 16 2017, 07:54 PM
SSJBen
post Aug 16 2017, 08:21 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 16 2017, 07:45 PM)
I try that bro.n even take my right spk plus wire to hook to left output of avr also same. If the transistor dead take long to repair n got any service center in penang. First time buy AVR outside my home town got this problem moreover only 18days old
Well it really sucks to hear that. Don't think there's a service center in Penang though.

Does the popping start the moment you turn on the receiver or after a while?
Dickong
post Aug 16 2017, 08:28 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

Actually the popping sound started 3days in use but thought it was something from the sound system. Getting louder by days n notice something wrong. Ya the popping sound start immedialy the on button. Is it serious n can i still use it for time being n no service center so have to take down all the way to kl
SSJBen
post Aug 16 2017, 10:34 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 16 2017, 08:28 PM)
Actually the popping sound started 3days in use but thought it was something from the sound system. Getting louder by days n notice something wrong. Ya the popping sound start immedialy the on button. Is it serious n can i still use it for time being n no service center so have to take down all the way to kl
Well I cannot be sure if it's the transformer causing the issue. Didn't take a look at it. The issue could also stem from the HDMI board, down to the op-amps. Really hard to tell.

I would advise not to play your speakers loud for the time being though.
Dickong
post Aug 17 2017, 05:54 AM

Regular
1,689 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 16 2017, 10:34 PM)
Well I cannot be sure if it's the transformer causing the issue. Didn't take a look at it. The issue could also stem from the HDMI board, down to the op-amps. Really hard to tell.

I would advise not to play your speakers loud for the time being though.
I will call up sc today n see what they can do n any chance of one to one change bcos less than 3weeks.

This post has been edited by Dickong: Aug 17 2017, 05:55 AM
sonerin
post Aug 17 2017, 11:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 17 2017, 05:54 AM)
I will call up sc today n see what they can do n any chance of one to one change bcos less than 3weeks.
The AVR need to be fix in Kelana Jaya HQ. Usually it will take about 1 - 2 weeks.
Dickong
post Aug 17 2017, 09:39 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Aug 17 2017, 11:09 AM)
The AVR need to be fix in Kelana Jaya HQ. Usually it will take about 1 - 2 weeks.
You r right need 1-2weeks. Since my set is under warranty n no sc in penang they will send courier service to collect from my house this coming saturday or coming monday. Actually i think can come tommorrow but i am not at home. But didnt mention 1 to 1 change
sonerin
post Aug 18 2017, 05:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Its unfortunate to have problem like this. My old Yamaha after I bought for few months also the transformer died and send back to repair with warranty. After that it has been working fine for 4 years.
Dickong
post Aug 18 2017, 07:46 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

I have been using AVR for many many years n many brand i never come across my avr break down even ex avr aldy 10+ years given to my friend with AC3 still kicking n my latest A2040 aldy 2years+ n also still kick n without any glitch. This is the first time i encounter problem can say unlucky or bad luck with this avr

This post has been edited by Dickong: Aug 18 2017, 07:49 PM
jeman
post Aug 19 2017, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

Anyone knows when is Yamaha having their warehouse sale this year?
Dickong
post Aug 19 2017, 02:48 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

Need urgent opinion, desa home offer me a 1 to 1 change for my A3060 but a display unit. Should i take up the replacement offer or send my set for repair at Yamaha sc.tq
truelife
post Aug 19 2017, 06:31 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(jeman @ Aug 19 2017, 01:25 PM)
Anyone knows when is Yamaha having their warehouse sale this year?
I am waiting for Harvey Norman clearance sale
truelife
post Aug 19 2017, 06:33 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Aug 19 2017, 02:48 PM)
Need urgent opinion, desa home offer me a 1 to 1 change for my A3060 but a display unit. Should i take up the replacement offer or send my set for repair at Yamaha sc.tq
In my opinion, I will set it for repair as I don't know the condition of the display set. The display set could be a rejected set by another customer.

This post has been edited by truelife: Aug 19 2017, 06:34 PM

30 Pages « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0244sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:35 PM