Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Yamaha AVR Thread v3.00, Discussions about Yamaha

views

SSJBen
post Apr 10 2016, 03:22 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(ccschua @ Apr 10 2016, 03:17 PM)
aventege : has anyone flashed to the new firmeware 1.77. is it stable and will the radio station go away ?
Zero problems here with 1.77. I don't use the radio station, but testing it out everything works just as before.
SSJBen
post Apr 11 2016, 05:54 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(silentsunami @ Apr 11 2016, 05:43 PM)
Sorry noob question here, how to you copy the REW file and which software u use to edit?

Another question, if i manually edit the distance, YPAO will take the manual edit distance or the one generated by YPAO? thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
Quite long to explain, so check these 2 guides:
https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/10/09/yam...advanced-topic/
https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11/14/yam...advanced-topic/

If you edit the distance after you did YPAO, then the receiver will just follow the edited distance. If you measured the distance before doing YPAO, then YPAO will correct it to what it thinks is correct.
Either way, the distance setting is actually "delays". Having an exact distance from your tape measure to your MLP is not always the best because you will have to account for internal filters, especially more so for the subs. YPAO takes these internal filters from your speakers and subs, then calculate the delays.

Of course if YPAO gives you something stupid like your center channel being 20 feet away when the actual distance is only 10 feet, then you know something is wrong. But if it's within the distance of 1-2 feet from your tape measure, I generally suggest to stick with the YPAO calculation instead.

SSJBen
post Apr 13 2016, 02:54 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(sensual1127 @ Apr 12 2016, 11:58 PM)
Sorry to disturb you again, can share where you get the UMIK-1 and Radioshack SPL meter?  confused.gif  confused.gif
UMIK1 I bought from ebay, second hand.
Radioshack SPL meter just go radioshack and buy.
SSJBen
post Apr 17 2016, 03:36 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

No it should not be in sync because you're not in a perfect symetrical or asymetrical room.
When you see frequency charts by manufacturers, they are measured in an anechoic chamber, not in a you know... practical room. So getting different measurements is absolutely normal.

Your graphs don't seem too bad, there aren't very huge 'hills' or 'valleys'. The whole band looks pretty gradual except for the roll off at the 200hz area. Should you be bothered? Well, ask your ears if it the EQ sounds bad or not first.
SSJBen
post Apr 20 2016, 03:30 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(stanleyh86 @ Apr 19 2016, 12:35 PM)
Hi guys, i have a unit of RX-V379 still remain unopen and im wondering which speaker i should match with. Can give me some advice?

i wondering is NS-P20 okay? or any other? although i have it remain unopen now.

my living room size about 6.4m x 4.5m and connecting to open area dining area about 3m x 3m. i guess it is big but i just sit on the sofa infront of my tv cabinet which shud be like 3m to 4m away from my TV and Speaker. please advise. thank you.

budget for speaker maybe below RM700, is it too low? i dunno which worth the value.

purpose shud be movies and some music. maybe gaming too by connecting laptop and using wireless keyboard and mouse.
If you absolutely need to go for a full set of budget speakers, then at the very least go for the NSP40. The P20 is very tinny sounding, even if your seating distance is only 3m.

RM700 is a bit too low for a decent quality 5.1 setup.
Why not just get a pair of speakers and do stereo first? Add more when you have a bigger budget. I've been recommending the Sony SSCS3 for a while now and I think they're still an extremely good price-performance floorstanders. A pair would cost RM1.2k, so if you can stretch that RM700 budget towards that, I absolutely recommend you do so.

Then in the future, get the center channel (CS8) and get a sub. A 3.1 setup is already pretty compelling as long as you have a decent set of front LCR speakers. ONLY then, you start to look at your other options.

A full set of NSP20 will sound like shit in comparison to a pair of Sony SSCS3 without a sub btw.
SSJBen
post Apr 20 2016, 10:28 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(stanleyh86 @ Apr 20 2016, 09:21 PM)
Hi, thanks for your advise, appreciate that however now that i ady have the NS-P20 with me which still remain unopen like i said before. so if i really go for sony sscs3 then i have to sell this ns-p20. wad kind of price i can sell, it is totally new still in the box.

the thing is i still wish to get 5.1 which left right front speaker and back two surround + 1 subwoofer. If RM700 is too low but RM1200 only allow to get 2 floorstanders then how much i have to pay for a 5.1 speaker and match with RX-V379?
Not sure how much you'd be able to sell it. RM600 maybe? I don't really know.

I know you have a pretty decent space to setup a 5.1 system, but are you sure there aren't any boundaries to the SL/SR positions?
All these speaker matching with AVR talks is quite dumb to be very honest with you. What? Are they physical organic creatures that needs to mate with one another or something? If a pair of speakers is deemed "warm", does that mean one have to find an AVR that is not equally "warm" then? It's stupid audiophile talk. What matters is power, reliability, features and price.

You can use your NSP20 to get a 5.1 and you don't have to spend another dime than what you already have (okay maybe some cables and a pair of stands perhaps). It all depends on how picky you are with sound, how much better you want. For me personally, RM7-10k is about just enough for a decent 5.1 setup. So it varies from person to person.

My suggestion remains; get the best Left + Right + Center speakers you can get first, then get a competent sub (not a toy sub), THEN decide on the surround speakers.
SSJBen
post Apr 22 2016, 12:30 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Well if anything, you can always use the NSP20's L/R and SL/SR as front height presence and/or rear height presence in the future when you get a more comprehensive setup.
SSJBen
post Apr 24 2016, 04:12 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(stilo10 @ Apr 23 2016, 03:31 PM)
I never ever mentioned that a floorstanders are better than a bookshelf! Actually, I was guided by some of the pros to use floorstanders for movies. So I went auditioned for the same series of bookshelf and floorstander speakers, I do indeed noticed that the soundstage was much wider by using floorstanders. Reviews and opinions are just guidelines, go for audition and judge by your own ears and if any speaker type sounded good to you, then just stick with it. I've tried using satellite, bookshelf and floorstander speakers by using the same avr and my personal preference would be floorstanders for movies.
It all depends on room size IMO.
Putting a 6 ft floorstander in a 10ft x 10ft with an 8 ft ceiling room is not going to sound better than using a pair of bookshelves in the same series.

QUOTE(Masculine @ Apr 24 2016, 08:46 AM)
Which is better to have if I were to start 2 floor standing speaker (jbl arena 180 or sony ssc3) in a small room?
Yamaha A-S301 or RX-V479?

Listening to 95% music (ALAC file from my iphone) I have apple tv...

Home theatre sound is not important to me... But its ok to have... High quality audio for music is very important to me...

Advice please.  Thank you
If you have zero desire for HT in the future, get the intergrated amp + floor standers. But make sure your room accomodates the floorstanders, if not then go for a higher-end series of bookshelves instead.

SSJBen
post Apr 25 2016, 04:48 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(stilo10 @ Apr 24 2016, 09:54 PM)
well, to elaborate it's not just about the room size, there's also other factors like whether the room is enclosed or an open space and etc... My point is on the emphasis of the characteristics of the floorstanders. The advantage of a floorstanders is not only in bass extension but in overall output even above the crossover frequency. The reason why some small subwoofer/satellite systems don’t sound full or well blended because lack of low enough extension to blend in with the sub at the crossover frequency and lack of sufficient output at and above the crossover frequency. Floorstanders also tend to offer increased sensitivity, meaning they play louder with the same applied wattage than their bookshelf counterpart (same series). The floorstanders will usually also have more output capability above the range where the subwoofer stops producing bass.

Go audition for a pair of bookshelf speakers and floorstanders of your liking side by side to determine that for yourself. It is most important that you choose a speaker that you feel sounds accurate and pleasing to you in your listening environment.
Of course, the entire room dimensions and shape are important too. As is the room material, the floors, walls and ceiling.

My point stands, place properly sized speakers in its room counterpart. If money is no object and one would like to place 6ft high, 3 ft deep tower speakers in a 800 cubic ft. room when the MLP is like 4 ft away, well be my guest. In a more realistic world, that kind of stuff doesn't apply.

Everything else you said are very valid points however. But I'm just driving home my opinion that one should try to put speakers in a room where its size would make sense.
SSJBen
post Apr 27 2016, 05:15 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(ccschua @ Apr 26 2016, 09:33 PM)
after weeks of using the Yamaha A850 adventage series, I am very satisfied with the sound quality. the stereo speaker is B&W 602 S2 and the surround is yamaha A194.

digital music ss served by synology DS416 via cat 6 and video by dedicated HTPC with graphics card. control via android galaxy.

the downside is only the speaker terminals which is barely desktop grades.
Same here. For my bedroom setup, the A850 has been pretty much awesome. I have some niggly nitpicks about it, but otherwise love it.

Passes 4k @ 4:4:4 at 60p, so it's been great for HTPC usage too for me.
SSJBen
post Apr 29 2016, 05:22 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Masculine @ Apr 29 2016, 02:37 PM)
Finally pulled a trigger on Yamaha AS301 and JBL arena 180.... Was waiting for SSCS3 but out of stock and my finger can't wait already...

Now finger cross... hopefully everything is ok
and buyer remorse seeping in....
All should be fine. Just remember not to put the JBL 180s too close to the back wall and sidewall. General rule of thumb is that you want around 2-3 feet off the side wall, about 1-3 ft' off the back.
Experiment with toe-in angle, you don't need to go crazy by toe'ing in all the way directly to your ears.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 180s just fine.
SSJBen
post May 5 2016, 03:58 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(ehklee @ May 5 2016, 09:50 AM)
Guys,  after few months of trial.  I finally got this resolved.  Just wanted to share with you how I resolved this issue.    At first I thought it's my Bluray player Bitstream setting.  I did as per what recommended, but my Bluray player still transmit PCM audio quality to my receiver (for DTS -HD Master bluray).  I tweaked the bitstream setting more than 10 times and tried on few Bluray discs,  it was still the same outcome. 

Yesterday,  I gave it another trial.    Careless me,  I observed the Incoming HDMI Video Resolution from my Bluray is only 480p.  I wondered why.  Then I went back to my Bluray player Video setting then only realized the setting was locked to 480p.    I immediately changed to Auto and tested.  The video signal changed back to 1080p.    I immediately replay the Bluray discs,  finally my receiver managed to detect the DTS-HD Master audio signal.   

Lesson learnt.  I was too focus on the Audio Setting without going through the Video Setting.    So the key take away is,  Audio and Video settings come hand in hand.  Im a happy man now.  My next aim is to get a better quality Front speakers (as my receiver comes with free NSP20 speakers).    cool2.gif
Good that you finally figured it out.

Welcome to HT, where the upgrade bug will hit you time after time. icon_idea.gif
SSJBen
post May 6 2016, 08:17 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

...Or Sony SSCS5 and SSCS8. RM699 + RM499 respectively.
SSJBen
post May 11 2016, 04:01 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(m3lover @ May 11 2016, 02:24 PM)
Hi Sifu,
Just bought RX-V579, previously was using onkyo TX-SR Series (pair with Jamo s606), and using my PS3 to play bluray movies. I realize the AVR never show the DTS-HD indicator ? My ps3 had set to multi channel.... any idea ?
PS3 fat or PS3 slim?

Only PS3 slim and later models can support bitstream of DTSHD and DDTrueHD. You also make sure that you have to select bitstream, instead of LPCM.
SSJBen
post May 11 2016, 05:00 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(m3lover @ May 11 2016, 04:54 PM)
PS3 slim... when i check the audio status show multichannel from the PS3... is the AVR have the DTS indicator ? sorry 1st time using Yamaha AVR and im a beginner only  smile.gif
I assume you're talking about movie.
It's been explained many times how to bitstream from the PS3 - http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/...-playstation-3/

Yes, if a DTS track is played, then the DTS indicator will show up on the AVR itself and on-screen if you have the GUI enabled.

Tip: Some blu-ray movies requires you to select the appropriate track from the menu before the audio format is changed.
SSJBen
post May 11 2016, 05:20 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(m3lover @ May 11 2016, 05:09 PM)
Hi, thanks a lot for your reply.. i will try it tonight. Don't have the time really go and explore the AVR yet. So far i only use the YPAO to tune the speakers. During the YPAO process my subwoofer blast very loud but when playing movies i cant feel the power. I manually change the Crossover 80Hz, -2db.... the Front Left, Right, Center, & surround had set it to +2db or +3db. Any others setting that i need to take care beside this ?
What sub are you using?

No, you don't just set your volume levels + whatever and forget it. You use a SPL meter to double check the volume, so that all your speakers are within 0.5-1db difference if not the same. You +2, +3 like that and you'll eventually find out you'll have volume inbalance.

Yamaha receivers are famous for sending a low voltage from its sub pre-out. So you generally want to have a higher gain on the sub itself, then hopefully have YPAO give you a negative result on the sub level. Then after that, you + whatever db you want without going above 0db all the while making sure not to have the bass obnoxiously loud.

Remember, a good subwoofer will rarely exaggerate bass. If there isn't bass, then there isn't bass, end of story. Unlike the cheap toy subs where anything that has volume, it blasts away like a psycho on drugs.
SSJBen
post May 11 2016, 05:59 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(m3lover @ May 11 2016, 05:40 PM)
I have a Jamo S606 + SUB250 Home Theater system connecting to Yamaha RX-V579 (previously was using Onkyo TX-SR508). Don't think so I'm that level yet to use SPL meter to measure those dB. For now whichever speakers that i fee not that loud i will manually adjusted. I also feel like my speakers were inbalance as when i was watching movie, i have to turn on the volume quite high only can hear the effect + voice. It is true, whatever movies or music that i played the bass was not that loud.
An SPL app is free. An actual SPL meter is like RM60, there's no reason not to use it no matter if you're a beginner or a 40-years veteran in HT.

The problem with what you're doing by "I don't hear it loud enough, plus more db!" is that you're simply increasing volume yet the balance start to go way off because YPAO has already applied an EQ for your system. You may not hear it with the one source you try to "calibrate" your levels for, but then when you jump to another, all of a sudden there will be a drastic volume inbalance.

Also, are you sure you did YPAO correctly? May be stupid to ask, but how did you place the mic? Was the room as quiet as possible? Is the mic positioned at the MLP?

The problems you are describing sounds like a system which is inappropriately calibrated, from distance (delay) to levels to the sub trim.

Lastly, you have to remember that volume is not linear, it's logarithmic.

*EDIT*
If all else fails, then all I can think of is that your sitting position is in a null. You will have to do a subcrawl to find the best position for the sub then.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: May 11 2016, 08:17 PM
SSJBen
post May 11 2016, 07:51 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

This year Aventage receivers has one very redeeming update that I like though: sub-EQ down to 16hz.
It's the only reason why I won't go for a 3050 right now, unless it is like stupidly cheap. tongue.gif
SSJBen
post May 17 2016, 05:03 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(stilo10 @ May 16 2016, 01:03 PM)
Yammy all the way!!!  thumbup.gif
Not all the way. I prefer Anthem tbh, if only they aren't so freaking hard to get.

That said, I just wish Yammy fixes the niggly issues they still have lingering around like Dolby codecs having a 5db gain boost over DTS/LPCM, or like have their phono pre-outs sending a higher voltage, or like their surround pre-outs having a higher voltage output. Sub EQ down to 16hz for this year's Aventage models will be a Godsend though! thumbup.gif
SSJBen
post May 17 2016, 05:30 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(WhiteFlag @ May 17 2016, 05:10 PM)
hi all sifus, when u setup the surround sound system, is it a must to buy original dvd/bluray in order to get the surround data from the disc itself.

if i connect to pc and play some .mkv, .avi, .rmvb file, would i still be able to get srround sound?
Not a must, but the best audio comes from Blu-ray discs.
Of course you can find remux or pure iso rips on the internet, how or where that's up to you to figure out. No piracy talk here.

mkv, avi, and rmvb are just containers, not codecs. You can have an mkv file, but the content could only have PCM 2.0 audio mixed in. So it depends on which version you find. If you want surround, you obviously need to get one with DTS or DD encoded at the very least.

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0287sec    0.08    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:42 AM