Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Electrical Installation Quotation, Are the prices reasonable?

views

TSkelvintt
post Feb 14 2016, 11:57 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
174 posts

Hi guys,

I got quoted recently (Jan 2016) for electrical installation jobs for my new house. All wirings are concealed. Are these prices reasonable (per unit)?

Power Points
- Lay new 13A power point with 2.5mm x 2 + Earth PVC cable c/w PVC piping concealed : RM105
- Extend 13A power point from existing points : RM60
- Lay air-cond/heater/oven/hob/hood point with 2.5mm x 2 + E PVC cable c/w 20A neon switch & PVC piping : RM285

Lighting Points, Etc.
- Lay new lighting/led/T5/T8 point with 1.5mm x 2 + Earth PVC cable c/w PVC piping concealed : RM55
- Lay new ceiling fan point with 1.5mm x 2 +Earth PVC cable c/w fan hook & PVC piping : RM68
- Lay new telephone point : RM180
- Lay new TV antenna point with 5C2V cable : RM180
- Lay new Astro point with RG6 cable : RM285
- Lay new Ethernet point with CAT5E cable : RM285
- Lay new fibre optic point from outside house (e.g. for Unifi) : RM500

Installations
- Install downlight/halogen/T5/T8 : RM20
- Install ceiling fan : RM45

Thanks a lot!! notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by kelvintt: Feb 15 2016, 12:02 AM
noien
post Feb 15 2016, 12:03 AM

Getting Started
3,115 posts

find others to quote again to compare

normal lighting installation cost rm10 and fan rm20-rm30
power point from db urs is ok.
qkumba
post Feb 15 2016, 12:56 AM

Getting Started
133 posts

Definitely abit overpriced
TSkelvintt
post Feb 22 2016, 04:29 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

Btw, cables are Megacable.
Richard
post Feb 22 2016, 05:06 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(qkumba @ Feb 15 2016, 12:56 AM)
Definitely abit overpriced
haha.. you seem like expert..

if only 8 nos. 13A socket total maybe 15 lights in the whole house..

you can do?

Bit of advice if doing new living room ask your wireman pull extra conduits from the main TV, central stereo to ceiling/wall satellite speakers..

Place the unifi main equipment in a store room or under the staircase with a cat5e cable to the wireless AP run cat5e from network switch to the main tv/central stereo console and anywhere else you might need it with a 13A socket nearby..

Place a 13A socket high level outside in case you need it..

man letrik
post Feb 22 2016, 07:25 PM

17 posts

My advice. Dont be too calculative. U willing to spend huge money on renovation. eletric the most important part. Anything wrong with wiring ur house will burn down cause of short circuir. Get licence contractor. Their price higher than normal indon or bangla guy or unregistered contractor. But u know u r safe . Because to certify test for new installation u need to run 3 test. Insulation test. Continuity test and earth resistence test.
Pricing are difference for everyhouse. We calculate the wire run from db box to point. 1 poinr from db to kitchen took 5 ' from ceiling to db 40' up ceiling and 10 ' down to plug point. Its took 50' wire lenght x 3 (life neutral n earth wire) 150' same 50m. 1 megacable cost u RM80 for 100m. 50m cost u RM40 not include cost of hacking plastering piping and labour cosr finally socket with difference brand like clipsal mk pdl and some cheap brand. So my advice pay the contractor the right price with their effoct and their experience and qualification.tq
TSkelvintt
post Feb 22 2016, 08:04 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(Richard @ Feb 22 2016, 05:06 PM)
haha.. you seem like expert..

if only 8 nos. 13A socket total maybe 15 lights in the whole house..

you can do?

Bit of advice if doing new living room ask your wireman pull extra conduits from the main TV, central stereo to ceiling/wall satellite speakers..

Place the unifi main equipment in a store room or under the staircase with a cat5e cable to the wireless AP run cat5e from network switch to the main tv/central stereo console and anywhere else you might need it with a 13A socket nearby..

Place a 13A socket  high level outside in case you need it..
The house plan has 45 lighting points, 25 13A points, 8 aircond/heater/hoob/hod points, etc. House is 2-storey, 24x70. Total quote is ~RM13k.

Thanks for your advices. My initial plan is to put the Unifi equipments on TV console in living room, then connect cat5e to upstairs family area, in case the wifi is weak at 2nd floor. But somehow, I feel those equipments will spoil the TV console view if put there. blink.gif
TSkelvintt
post Feb 22 2016, 08:05 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

*double post, deleted*

This post has been edited by kelvintt: Feb 22 2016, 08:20 PM
TSkelvintt
post Feb 22 2016, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(man letrik @ Feb 22 2016, 07:25 PM)
My advice. Dont be too calculative. U willing to spend huge money on renovation. eletric the most important part. Anything wrong with wiring ur house will burn down cause of short circuir. Get licence contractor. Their price higher than normal indon or bangla guy or unregistered contractor. But u know u r safe . Because to certify test for new installation u need to run 3 test. Insulation test. Continuity test and earth resistence test.
Pricing are difference for everyhouse. We calculate the wire run from db box to point. 1 poinr from db to kitchen took 5 ' from ceiling to db 40' up ceiling and 10 ' down to plug point. Its took 50' wire lenght x 3 (life neutral n earth wire) 150' same 50m. 1 megacable cost u RM80 for 100m. 50m cost u RM40 not include cost of hacking plastering piping and labour cosr finally socket with difference brand like clipsal mk pdl and some cheap brand. So my advice pay the contractor the right price with their effoct and their experience and qualification.tq
I'm not calculative but just afraid of being chop with high price since I don't know what's the market price. Thanks for your advice & sharing on megacable cost.

I somehow don't understand why the air-cond/heater point with 2.5mm cables (same as 13A points) is so expensive (RM285 vs RM105) while the difference is the extra 20A neon switch. Issit because it is 1-to-1 to the DB switch while 13A point can a few points share one DB switch?
qkumba
post Feb 22 2016, 09:33 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(kelvintt @ Feb 22 2016, 08:18 PM)
I'm not calculative but just afraid of being chop with high price since I don't know what's the market price. Thanks for your advice & sharing on megacable cost.

I somehow don't understand why the air-cond/heater point with 2.5mm cables (same as 13A points) is so expensive (RM285 vs RM105) while the difference is the extra 20A neon switch. Issit because it is 1-to-1 to the DB switch while 13A point can a few points share one DB switch?
U definitely seems being chopped to me
Richard
post Feb 22 2016, 10:25 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(qkumba @ Feb 22 2016, 09:33 PM)
U definitely seems being chopped to me
This is only one persons unqualified opinion based on cost..

Please base your decision on our electrical code of installation as there are many electrical accidents due to substandard cable sizing and wiring installation.. Electrical system is invisible and travels via electrical conductor and can kill you and burn down your home..

QUOTE(kelvintt @ Feb 22 2016, 08:18 PM)

rm45/100m coil for 1.5mm2 (allowed current carrying capacity 14.5A), rm55/100m coil for 2.5mm2 (allowed current carrying capacity 19.5A), rm110 for 4mm2 and so on..

3 runs of cables to complete a circuit i.e. Live(L), Neutral(N) and protective earth(E) with a mcb for thermal overload to protect the circuit.

You can link as many light points to one circuit within its allowable rating for 1.5mm2 or as many as 2 nos 13A sockets for 2.5mm2.

If you are doing residential wiring you must run 4mm2 pvc cable for water heater or air conditioner with a double pole switch. In addition there should be an individual RCD for water heaters..

The reason you pay more is for a competent wireman to supply and install according to our Malaysian guidelines for electrical wiring in buildings. Its for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.

and yes.. you can employ any bangla or indon worker to pull your wiring.. its just not as safe..

This post has been edited by Richard: Feb 22 2016, 10:37 PM
TSkelvintt
post Feb 22 2016, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(Richard @ Feb 22 2016, 10:25 PM)
This is only one persons unqualified opinion based on cost..

Please base your decision on our electrical code of installation as there are many electrical accidents due to substandard cable sizing and wiring installation..  Electrical system is invisible and travels via electrical conductor and can kill you and burn down your home..
rm45/100m coil for 1.5mm2 (allowed current carrying capacity 14.5A), rm55/100m coil for 2.5mm2 (allowed current carrying capacity 19.5A),  rm110 for 4mm2 and so on..

3 runs of cables to complete a circuit i.e. Live(L), Neutral(N) and protective earth(E) with a mcb for thermal overload to protect the circuit.

You can link as many light points to one circuit within its allowable rating for 1.5mm2 or as many as 2 nos 13A sockets for 2.5mm2.

If you are doing residential wiring you must run 4mm2 pvc cable for water heater or air conditioner with a double pole switch. In addition there should be an individual RCD for water heaters..

The reason you pay more is for a competent wireman to supply and install according to our Malaysian guidelines for electrical wiring in buildings. Its for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.

and yes.. you can employ any bangla or indon worker to pull your wiring.. its just not as safe..
Should I expect every air-cond/heater/oven/hob/hood point to have their individual RCD? Or how many can be shared?

The contractor said 2.5mm cables are sufficient for air-cond/heater/oven/hob/hood points. My largest air-cond is 2hp. Issit true?
Richard
post Feb 23 2016, 12:57 AM

Regular
1,083 posts

Ask your wireman to follow the guideline..

GUIDELINES FOR ELECTRICAL WIRING IN RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS.. from Suruhanjaya Tenaga Malaysia..

Just goggle it unless you have specific question i am also competent wireman since 2002..

Only water heater require individual RCD.. It trips automatically if there is a current leak.. Remember recent news those Japanese died in the bathroom? Thats' why..

2HP aircon starting and running amps.. 2.5mm2 is adequate but it must be single circuit to one aircon.. no sharing..
Strictly if follow code Suruhanjaya Tenaga (ST) requires 4mm2 but no enforcement.. so 2.5mm2 is ok..

that copper can actually carry 22-36Amps just careful a lot of China fake copper cables in the market.. easy to spot the weight difference if you are looking for it.. get a competent wireman/contractor..

get 3 quotations from others if your wireman looks more like a car/insurance salesman,,

This post has been edited by Richard: Feb 23 2016, 01:21 AM
man letrik
post Feb 23 2016, 02:00 AM

17 posts

If u really want to follow the regulation 100% than u have to spent more. Normally we follow basic safety requirement. For aircond individual line from db to point no sharing. 2.5mm max for 2hp still okay. Above 2hp to 3hp require 4mm amd so on......for power socket normal loop 2 to 3 just normal use...tv hifi dvd stand fan...small load. For kitchen 2.5mm for normal freezer rice cooker kettle but not exceedind 13A in total for long period. Oven 4mm required. Water heater prefer 4mm and extra ELCB earth leakage circuit breaker .double storey house prefer 2 db for isolating purposes and control and save on wiring cost. Earthing also important in installation and need to do properly n test.
man letrik
post Feb 23 2016, 02:01 AM

17 posts

If u really want to follow the regulation 100% than u have to spent more. Normally we follow basic safety requirement. For aircond individual line from db to point no sharing. 2.5mm max for 2hp still okay. Above 2hp to 3hp require 4mm amd so on......for power socket normal loop 2 to 3 just normal use...tv hifi dvd stand fan...small load. For kitchen 2.5mm for normal freezer rice cooker kettle but not exceedind 13A in total for long period. Oven 4mm required. Water heater prefer 4mm and extra ELCB earth leakage circuit breaker .double storey house prefer 2 db for isolating purposes and control and save on wiring cost. Earthing also important in installation and need to do properly n test.
Alexdino
post Feb 23 2016, 10:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,000 posts

my quotation from chinese guy

Attached Image

qkumba
post Feb 23 2016, 10:48 AM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(Alexdino @ Feb 23 2016, 10:03 AM)

Attached Image
Thats fair price. Doesnt mean cheaper have to be from indo or unqualified wire man or china cable or without proper testing.
Dont be fooled to pay more for the same thing
man letrik
post Feb 23 2016, 12:07 PM

17 posts

Im licence eletrical contractor. Normally i charged cliemt base on total material cost plus labour cost plus transport charges and get some reasonable profit.not necesarry base on points. Because im the boss and im the worker too. As long as i got job got salary for my staff and retain some profit for tax. That emough for me. So i agreed. It s depend to individual. Regardless of u r chiness malay or indian. U cant say others not good. Itd win win situation. U sabe budget we got business.
shelby_yong
post Feb 23 2016, 01:10 PM

On my way
550 posts

QUOTE(Alexdino @ Feb 23 2016, 10:03 AM)

Attached Image
if u are hardworking, u can install the fan yourself and water heater..

this 2 is very easy only..

TSkelvintt
post Feb 23 2016, 07:14 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(shelby_yong @ Feb 23 2016, 01:10 PM)
if u are hardworking, u can install the fan yourself and water heater..

this 2 is very easy only..
I plan to install ceiling fans myself. My toilets all have wall tiles, not sure I'll break the tiles or not if install myself.

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0210sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:46 AM