Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

OS moving os partition to ssd

views

TSinfernolu
post Feb 10 2016, 12:23 PM, updated 9y ago

18 posts

HI im going to get a new ssd and wish to transfer windows 7 on it.The question is, can i just copy the partition containing the OS and leave my other partition on my hdd with n (the rest of the files olike steam) there.
I suck at computers so pls advice what to do. Im scared and lazy to do clean install so pls advice what are the other alternatives
TQ icon_question.gif icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

wci98
post Feb 10 2016, 12:27 PM

Casual
417 posts

Use aomei software
TSinfernolu
post Feb 10 2016, 02:01 PM

18 posts

just copy the partition with the aomei software then done...? tq for reply

horns
post Feb 10 2016, 02:15 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(infernolu @ Feb 10 2016, 12:23 PM)
HI im going to get a new ssd and wish to transfer windows 7 on it.The question is, can i just copy the partition containing the OS and leave my other partition on my  hdd with n (the rest of the files olike steam) there.
I suck at computers so pls advice what to do. Im scared and lazy to do clean install so pls advice what are the other alternatives
TQ  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif icon_question.gif
normally ssd vendors provide migration tools for your convenience. first check out their websites for the latest version of such tools. read their how-tos and guides for more information. these tools are free, very simple and straight forward to operate, and will get the job done easily.

alternatively you can use cloning software like aomei, macrium reflect, etc.
abu.shofwan
post Feb 10 2016, 02:21 PM

Regular
1,455 posts

i used macrium reflex to clone my old vista-business laptop hdd to a new ssd to breathe new life to the old machine.
however, i cloned it on my desktop - i mean, i used my desktop (win10) to clone the two disks. not sure if you can clone a running/operating machine, though.
the process was relatively simple
after i took out the hdd from laptop and connected to the win 10 desktop, proceed to create image of the hdd. once got the image, disconnect hdd, connect ssd and copy the image to the ssd. had to readjust the size afterwards since ssd size is bigger than the hdd (ssd 240gb, old machine only 160gb)
but no issues afterwards
wci98
post Feb 10 2016, 03:46 PM

Casual
417 posts

QUOTE(infernolu @ Feb 10 2016, 03:01 PM)
just copy the partition with the aomei software then done...? tq for reply
Aomei software got option to move os to ssd.

TSinfernolu
post Feb 10 2016, 08:29 PM

18 posts

ok thanks guys
unitron
post Feb 12 2016, 02:21 PM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

Why nobody asked one of the most important question.

Is the new SSD capacity more than the old HDD or vice versa ?

I couldn't migrate my OS from old HDD to SSD because the SSD capacity was smaller. End up I just clean installed on the new SSD.

Also the old HDD got some bad sectors or not ? This might cause the migration to fail.
sHawTY
post Feb 12 2016, 02:32 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

Clean installation is much much better than migrating the OS
dcheah
post Feb 16 2016, 03:07 PM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

It actually depends on your current configuration of the partitions of the HDD. If your HDD have 2 partitions, mostly likely the OS is installed into [C:] drive. If this is the case then you can use "CloneZilla" method to clone the [C:] drive to your new SSD drive.

Assuming the SSD is smaller in capacity than your HDD, you may need to manually copy/backup your data to the SSD once you are able to boot from SSD.

If your HDD only have a single partition & the capacity is larger than the SSD, a clean install is best.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:59 PM