Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

touristking
post Oct 10 2020, 11:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 10 2020, 02:51 AM)
So u mean get the cheapest cable that I can find , after all there makes no difference in sound quality?
Unless you have a very high resolution music system costing quite a bit of money, I don't think you likely to hear any difference with normal AV setup.

touristking
post Oct 10 2020, 06:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Oct 10 2020, 11:34 AM)
as far as i know... no.. but normally due to the space constraint in car they wont put thick cables but at home u can put thick cables
OFC is good but there are many other tech and plating that can be chosen.. cables alone can lead to many discussion.. sweat.gif
Right. Some can cost 10K and can look like a python snake. And some swear by it and some think it's snake oil.

touristking
post Oct 11 2020, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 10 2020, 05:54 PM)
In my experience, people who swear by it do not like to discuss about the cables they bought. Ask them a question about it, all they say is "it depends on your system, it depends on your ears, it depends on your setup, it depends, it depends, it depends if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow".

rolleyes.gif

If people want to buy cables because they look nice, go right ahead. It's like jewelry. A diamond is still after all, just carbon lol. But don't go around preaching those cables as if they do something different to the sound.
I can only say I do hear a difference in sound in some setup. Can't say it's better or worst.

I personally using the not-too-expensive QED Silver something with my small Krell amp. Can't be bother with anything more expensive.

touristking
post Oct 11 2020, 11:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Oct 10 2020, 12:37 PM)
aim for purity only. dont mix 2 material
Purity can be a big word for some people. It could mean neutrality or transparency and that is another can of worms for them.

touristking
post Oct 15 2020, 11:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 14 2020, 09:24 AM)
Upfring Atmos modules are stupid, period.

They can work in only a very specific condition:

- Your ceiling is FLAT and is REFLECTIVE (problem 1)
- Your ceiling must be no higher than 12ft, optimally it should be 8-10ft.
- You must sit in ONE location only, that means if you have guests, well too fucking bad for them.

@problem 1
You generally want your room to be controlled acoustically, that means having acoustic absorption. The L/R fronts and center speakers are a million times more important than the heights, so just because upfiring speakers requires the ceiling to be untreated and reflective, you'd then have to compromise on the most important speakers in the system? Do you see how stupid that sounds?
With that, people can get carried away and start listening to the notes instead of the music or soundtrack. A sure sign of that would be, people start viewing the exact same part of a movie over and over again to to see whether the notes are same or difference with different speaker/placement etc.

touristking
post Oct 15 2020, 03:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 15 2020, 07:31 AM)
Main take away is that people need to understand that spending RM5k on a pair of speakers just for the L and R gives them much better sound quality than squeezing RM5k into some half-assed Atmos setup. I've personally been through this and I can objectively show the differences in graphs and room measurements to prove it.
I do believe you are right, having been with people who are into high end HiFi and have also heard some costing 500K. To get good sound, and I am sure that includes Atmos, one will need to have a dedicated room.

touristking
post Oct 15 2020, 04:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 15 2020, 08:33 AM)
A dedicated room is indeed preferred, because you can control the variables. The right amount of absorption, the right amount of diffusion, the seating configuration, the sub placement (which is vitally important), all that requires a dedicated room. I built one myself just to have these kind of luxuries.
so who get the sweet spot seat? Can get pretty lonely in an empty room.

touristking
post Oct 16 2020, 03:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 15 2020, 10:09 AM)
Wait, why would you have to be alone? You can have multiple seats in a dedicated room and optimize sound for all the seats.
Generally speaking, with sound, there is a spot that have the best. I am assuming from a Hifi standpoint.

touristking
post Oct 24 2020, 06:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,551 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 23 2020, 04:52 PM)
Fortunately it comes with Audyssey Low Frequency Containment band which I find it handy  tongue.gif  according to the manual its written. Anyhow i dont really listen to music too loud on max about 55 the volume, dont want to mess with my neighbours  tongue.gif

Audyssey LFC™ solves the problem of low frequency sounds disturbing people in neighboring rooms or apartments. Audyssey LFC™ dynamically monitors the audio content and removes the low frequencies that pass through walls, floors and ceilings. It then applies psychoacoustic processing to restore the perception of low bass for listeners in the room. The result is great sound that no longer disturbs the neighbors
Never heard it but it sort of sounded like Voodoos to me. So I could be wrong

Personally I only use my REL subwoofer for music and you can definitely feel the low frequency. If I can't feel it, then the subwoofer is not working or poorly integrated with the non-full range speaker.

This post has been edited by touristking: Oct 24 2020, 06:31 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.71    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th December 2020 - 01:29 AM