Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

Ivan_T
post Nov 22 2017, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(timetokill @ Oct 5 2017, 08:53 AM)
Hi all. I have a set of Boston Acoustic CS 2310 5.1 small bookshelf speakers set.  I would like to get an AVR for it. Mostly use it for movies, and mixed use like TV. Sometimes music but very rarely. It will be in our living room which is about 130sf, but it is open to the dining area and stairways.

Budget not much. So would not opt for too many features. Won't upgrade as long as they still work. Focus will be getting an AVR that can drive these tiny speakers effortlessly. Can anyone give me a recommendation on AVR please?
One of the budget AVR that I would recommend is Onkyo NR646, it is an older model and if you are lucky you can get a new set at RM2k, or a demo/used set at ~RM1.5k. The overall performance is quite impressive especially for movies, support 4K (HDR) video pass through, all HD audio formats (including ATMOS & DTS:X) and 192khz/24bits audio files. It comes with AKM 32 bits DAC even though that might not contribute to the actual audio experience.
Ivan_T
post Nov 23 2017, 01:58 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(sonypshomer @ Nov 22 2017, 02:04 PM)
yes if i had a choice i could've chosen 646, since it's already EOL hard to get already i also afraid that no more firmware update supported. during 11.11, 11st sold that for only RM1.8K with voucher can get more discount.

I settled for 656, did firmware update, onkyo included not just DTS-X but also Dolby Vision, BT2020, HDLG, HDR10 infact everything that 676 has. 656 has 8 HDMI in and  only 7 on 676.

646 and 656 are also more expensive and 676  rclxub.gif
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/prod_clas...ource=globalnav

One obvious difference is the remote is more simpler & light than old onkyos

Yes.. hard to find new set of 646 due to EOL but there should be no issue with support. The latest firmware already provided the support for all the features you have mentioned, there is no diff with 656. Btw, I read somewhere that the volume level on 656 need to be set much higher to achieve the same level loudness, not sure it is true or not.

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Nov 22 2017, 02:50 PM)
So much you paid for your ONKYO NR 656 after max RM300 coupon discount?  hmm.gif
Can you try to click the site below, why one of the seller selleing it for RM4399? So obvious difference than the rest which cost around RM2443 - RM2599?  shakehead.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=TX-NR656&rl...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Besides the budget, why do you prefer the ONKYO brand?  hmm.gif

I owned a DENON but handled it FOR FREE to my bro in law who owned an ONKYO before but already kaput. So my confidence on ONKYO a bit low.  sad.gif
My question back to you is why not Onkyo? Both the Denon and Onkyo are reliable brands. Denon is now owned by US company and Onkyo acquired Pioneer. You can't say Denon is better than Onkyo, whether you like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz or any other brands AVR is all up to individual, go for audition choose the one that suit your taste and budget. I have recommended NR646 because it is value for money with its performance.
Ivan_T
post Nov 23 2017, 10:27 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Nov 23 2017, 06:04 PM)
I'm caught between Yamaha RX V583 or RX V683. Any thoughts? hmm.gif
If you have already narrowed down to these 2 Yamaha, then of course the better choice is V683 and it performs quite well, strong bass as I remember during a demo. The V583 is the low end budget AVR.
Ivan_T
post Jun 9 2021, 11:10 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

Need some advise here on AVR. My current Onkyo TX-NR646 just went dead with no sound and thinking of getting a replacement unit.
My budget is just around rm4k-5k max, which will be the best AVR that I should consider at this price point?
I have basically narrow down to Yamaha RX-V6A, Denon AVR-X2700H & Marantz SR5015. The most affordable one is definitely the Yamaha.
I only need 7.2 channels since I'm having 5.1 speakers setup with bi-amp for the front. I'm also looking at the one giving better quality for 2 channel stereo music since I don't have a stereo amp.

Any suggestion on these 3 models, are these the best at this price? Any other models should be considered?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0746sec    0.62    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th August 2021 - 08:05 AM