Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

kevinlim001
post May 31 2021, 05:14 PM

Ethical Hacker
5,737 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ May 29 2021, 04:51 PM)
For Denon X8500H owners, it seems the 8K board is out. New model will have 8K build-in, calling it X8500HA

Not sure what is the upgrade price for MY, anyone has the price, do advise smile.gif

US price is 600 bucks
This is the board information

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-rece...hdmi-8k-upgrade

Further reading here

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/20...or-new-formats/
finally.. been hearing this for sometime but totally have no idea if Malaysia dealer is going to do the upgrade for malaysia customer...
also are they going to provide a HDMI adapter to fix the hdmi issue like 6700h or 4700h?
VeeJay
post Jun 1 2021, 01:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,497 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ May 31 2021, 05:14 PM)
finally.. been hearing this for sometime but totally have no idea if Malaysia dealer is going to do the upgrade for malaysia customer...
also are they going to provide a HDMI adapter to fix the hdmi issue like 6700h or 4700h?
The 2020 models would get the HDMI adapter kit

user posted image

https://www.denon.com/en-us/hdmiadapter

Whereas x8500h get the board changed hence its renamed to X8500HA

kevinlim001
post Jun 1 2021, 01:48 PM

Ethical Hacker
5,737 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jun 1 2021, 01:34 PM)
The 2020 models would get the HDMI adapter kit

user posted image

https://www.denon.com/en-us/hdmiadapter

Whereas x8500h get the board changed hence its renamed to X8500HA
yup correct.. but my wondering point is:
x8500h board is to upgrade 4k to 8k to ensure that x8500 throne remains
so the problem here is if the x8500ha board possesses the same flaw like 6700h or 4700h that require another external adapter to fix?
Ivan_T
post Jun 9 2021, 11:10 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

Need some advise here on AVR. My current Onkyo TX-NR646 just went dead with no sound and thinking of getting a replacement unit.
My budget is just around rm4k-5k max, which will be the best AVR that I should consider at this price point?
I have basically narrow down to Yamaha RX-V6A, Denon AVR-X2700H & Marantz SR5015. The most affordable one is definitely the Yamaha.
I only need 7.2 channels since I'm having 5.1 speakers setup with bi-amp for the front. I'm also looking at the one giving better quality for 2 channel stereo music since I don't have a stereo amp.

Any suggestion on these 3 models, are these the best at this price? Any other models should be considered?
ktek
post Jun 10 2021, 09:14 PM

워터파크
9,858 posts

QUOTE(Ivan_T @ Jun 9 2021, 11:10 PM)
Need some advise here on AVR. My current Onkyo TX-NR646 just went dead with no sound and thinking of getting a replacement unit.
My budget is just around rm4k-5k max, which will be the best AVR that I should consider at this price point?
I have basically narrow down to Yamaha RX-V6A, Denon AVR-X2700H & Marantz SR5015. The most affordable one is definitely the Yamaha.
I only need 7.2 channels since I'm having 5.1 speakers setup with bi-amp for the front. I'm also looking at the one giving better quality for 2 channel stereo music since I don't have a stereo amp.

Any suggestion on these 3 models, are these the best at this price? Any other models should be considered?
denon & marant pick either one newer and came with the most hdmi port/ bt wifi/ design u like.
recommend to use fat power cord from server psu
sonerin
post Jun 12 2021, 12:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,551 posts

Go with Yamaha and you won’t regret it
cyclone2
post Jul 15 2021, 05:58 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

Hi,

I'm planning to change my height speaker. Any good recommendation of Atmos height speakers? Currently eyeing on SVS elevation or Kplisch Atmos speaker. Hope this atmost height can pair new set of speaker later, as planning to change my front L/R, center and Surround Speaker as well at later stage and also subwoofer as well.

Basically is to change new set of speaker la... just wanna start with atmos height and subwoofer 1st.

Anyone using Polk Audio HTS woofer? I mainly 90% movies and 10% music. was thinking Polk audio or SVS woofer.

This post has been edited by cyclone2: Jul 15 2021, 06:01 PM
SSJBen
post Jul 15 2021, 06:24 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,142 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2 @ Jul 15 2021, 05:58 PM)
Hi,

I'm planning to change my height speaker. Any good recommendation of Atmos height speakers? Currently eyeing on SVS elevation or Kplisch Atmos speaker. Hope this atmost height can pair new set of speaker later, as planning to change my front L/R, center and Surround Speaker as well at later stage and also subwoofer as well.

Basically is to change new set of speaker la... just wanna start with atmos height and subwoofer 1st.

Anyone using Polk Audio HTS woofer? I mainly 90% movies and 10% music. was thinking Polk audio or SVS woofer.
I think you have your priorities wrong.

You should change your front LCR first before anything else if you're intending to change your entire sound system setup. I'm using SVS elevations, they are good height speakers but to be very frank they don't add very much to the experience. In fact I think they're overpriced and on hindsight I'd rather use cheaper in-ceiling speakers instead. Point is, changing your height speakers won't make you notice much of a difference (if any at all) to your overall soundstage.

Unlike height speakers, changing the LCR can amount up to a day and night difference. So place your budget here first is my advice.

As for the sub, there is no contest between a the Polk HTS 10 and a similar sized SVS 10" sub which SVS does not have. The closest is the SB1000 Pro and that blows the Polk HTS10 out of the water, not even a fair fight.

My opinion is that the most optimum way of upgrading is (assuming you continue to use your current set of speakers):
Subs (yes multiple) > minidsp 2x4HD > LCR > then whatever you want after that.

Don't just upgrade because your heart tells you to, upgrade using logic and common sense. You save and learn more at the end of the day.
kevinlim001
post Jul 15 2021, 07:41 PM

Ethical Hacker
5,737 posts

Just don't get onkyo for the time being.. the company lately seems undergoing business changes... their customer service sucks also.. 😕.. the 3 that you had listed are reasonable.. myself I m using Denon x2000 the entry audyssey capable unit but limited by future upgrade as they don't allow preout except for zone 2

This post has been edited by kevinlim001: Jul 15 2021, 07:43 PM
kevinlim001
post Jul 15 2021, 07:50 PM

Ethical Hacker
5,737 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2 @ Jul 15 2021, 05:58 PM)
Hi,

I agreed with SSJBen that if you r planning to upgrade LCR you should focus on that first.. that is where most of the sound come from.. others are just addition.. you got a nice ceiling or reflection speaker which do maybe 10% to 30% of the movies playback but you are not happy with your primary which do 80% of the job.. you want to reconsider bro..

This post has been edited by kevinlim001: Jul 15 2021, 07:50 PM
voscar
post Jul 15 2021, 11:46 PM

Regular
1,109 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Jul 15 2021, 07:41 PM)
Just don't get onkyo for the time being.. the company lately seems undergoing business changes... their customer service sucks also.. 😕.. the 3 that you had listed are reasonable.. myself I m using Denon x2000 the entry audyssey capable unit but limited by future upgrade as they don't allow preout except for zone 2
Sifu, time to get AVR-A110 anniversary edition
kevinlim001
post Jul 16 2021, 01:19 AM

Ethical Hacker
5,737 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Jul 15 2021, 11:46 PM)
Sifu, time to get AVR-A110 anniversary edition
wait a boss.. let me do some saving first.. by the time i got my money ready maybe denon is launching A1000 anniversary edition brows.gif
cyclone2
post Jul 16 2021, 12:14 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Jul 15 2021, 06:24 PM)
I think you have your priorities wrong.

You should change your front LCR first before anything else if you're intending to change your entire sound system setup. I'm using SVS elevations, they are good height speakers but to be very frank they don't add very much to the experience. In fact I think they're overpriced and on hindsight I'd rather use cheaper in-ceiling speakers instead. Point is, changing your height speakers won't make you notice much of a difference (if any at all) to your overall soundstage.

Unlike height speakers, changing the LCR can amount up to a day and night difference. So place your budget here first is my advice.

As for the sub, there is no contest between a the Polk HTS 10 and a similar sized SVS 10" sub which SVS does not have. The closest is the SB1000 Pro and that blows the Polk HTS10 out of the water, not even a fair fight.

My opinion is that the most optimum way of upgrading is (assuming you continue to use your current set of speakers):
Subs (yes multiple) > minidsp 2x4HD > LCR > then whatever you want after that.

Don't just upgrade because your heart tells you to, upgrade using logic and common sense. You save and learn more at the end of the day.
QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Jul 15 2021, 07:50 PM)
I agreed with SSJBen that if you r planning to upgrade LCR you should focus on that first.. that is where most of the sound come from.. others are just addition.. you got a nice ceiling or reflection speaker which do maybe 10% to 30% of the movies playback but you are not happy with your primary which do 80% of the job.. you want to reconsider bro..
Ok noted on you guys advice..... originally was eyeing on Polk Audio signature series... then saw new launching model Reserve series...

But since now cant do audition, tat's why thinking to get height speaker 1st... then maybe i should opt for subwoofer for now 1st.
kevinlim001
post Jul 16 2021, 12:58 PM

Ethical Hacker
5,737 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2 @ Jul 16 2021, 12:14 PM)
Ok noted on you guys advice..... originally was eyeing on Polk Audio signature series... then saw new launching model Reserve series...

But since now cant do audition, tat's why thinking to get height speaker 1st... then maybe i should opt for subwoofer for now 1st.
yup get your subwoofer too if you havent got it.. surround and ceiling can come later..
Skylinestar
post Jul 16 2021, 01:00 PM

Mega Duck
9,332 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2 @ Jul 16 2021, 12:14 PM)

just keep on doing research, save the money, and buy the LCR that you wanted. preferably all LCR be the same speakers. once done, buy the same speaker for surround use. icon_idea.gif

for the subwoofer, you get what you pay. big driver with reliable power amp not cheap.
cyclone2
post Jul 16 2021, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Jul 16 2021, 12:58 PM)
yup get your subwoofer too if you havent got it.. surround and ceiling can come later..
QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Jul 16 2021, 01:00 PM)
just keep on doing research, save the money, and buy the LCR that you wanted. preferably all LCR be the same speakers. once done, buy the same speaker for surround use. icon_idea.gif

for the subwoofer, you get what you pay. big driver with reliable power amp not cheap.
I already got a subwoofer..... been using more than 8 yrs... so thinking to upgrade to 10" or 12"....to pair with my Denon X3700H

Just wondering if using dual sub, 1 8" and another one 10" or 12" whether can match o not...haha hmm.gif hmm.gif

Ya i know the LCR should be the same brand.....
Skylinestar
post Jul 16 2021, 01:28 PM

Mega Duck
9,332 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2 @ Jul 16 2021, 01:25 PM)
I already got a subwoofer..... been using more than 8 yrs... so thinking to upgrade to 10" or 12"....to pair with my Denon X3700H

Just wondering if using dual sub, 1 8" and another one 10" or 12" whether can match o not...haha  hmm.gif  hmm.gif
u need to do lots of measurement and fine tune. if possible, don't. the 8" will end up distorting badly.

not just same brand but same model icon_idea.gif
SSJBen
post Jul 16 2021, 01:55 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,142 posts

Just wondering if using dual sub, 1 8" and another one 10" or 12" whether can match o not...haha  hmm.gif  hmm.gif

How big is your room? That is a key component to know on what sub size to get.

You can match different sized subs yes, but you will need measurement tools to gain match and time align them properly. So a calibrated measurement mic (UMIK-1 for example) is mandatory. You will also need quite a bit of time to do this, not a 10 minutes job.
cyclone2
post Jul 16 2021, 02:33 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Jul 16 2021, 01:28 PM)
u need to do lots of measurement and fine tune. if possible, don't. the 8" will end up distorting badly.
not just same brand but same model  icon_idea.gif
Will see how.....

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Jul 16 2021, 01:55 PM)
How big is your room? That is a key component to know on what sub size to get.

You can match different sized subs yes, but you will need measurement tools to gain match and time align them properly. So a calibrated measurement mic (UMIK-1 for example) is mandatory. You will also need quite a bit of time to do this, not a 10 minutes job.
I will be using at living room, currently from TV to sofa around 14x10 based on my current setup. was thinking 10" sufficient to cover, or just get the 12".

In fact my living room size is about 22x10.

SSJBen
post Jul 16 2021, 02:54 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,142 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2 @ Jul 16 2021, 02:33 PM)
Will see how.....
I will be using at living room, currently from TV to sofa around 14x10 based on my current setup. was thinking 10" sufficient to cover, or just get the 12".

In fact my living room size is about 22x10.
You have to account for the entire space, whatever your living room is open up to (dining area for example). Bass lengths are very long, so you can't just calculate based on the area where the sub is at. 22x10 is on the average side, you may want ported subs instead (PB1000 Pro).

107 Pages « < 102 103 104 105 106 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0260sec    0.60    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 2nd August 2021 - 02:22 AM