Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

chriscym
post Oct 16 2020, 07:01 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 16 2020, 05:54 PM)
Yes there will be a compromise in surround panning that you have to live with if your side (I believe you're doing 5.1.4 right?) surrounds isn't wider than your fronts and isn't angled properly. You may notice a "hole" in the soundstage when objects off screen pans from the middle to the left then to your surround left. It would sound as if the object has disappeared momentarily then re-appear again to your side.

Delays can help to a certain extent, but I'm not sure if Audyssey would do that for you. Your adjustment would probably need to be manually tuned. This is because Audyssey calculates delays based on time from a channel to where the mic is placed, in relation to the reflections in the room. It does not compensate for your speaker placement for object based audio.
Thanks for your advice once again. I am having a 5.1 setup for now. Atmos comes later, I need to setup the 5.1 properly first in this case.
sonerin
post Oct 18 2020, 07:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,465 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 16 2020, 07:01 PM)
Thanks for your advice once again. I am having a 5.1 setup for now. Atmos comes later, I need to setup the 5.1 properly first in this case.
A simple method, just take a long measurement tape and get your distance than put into the avr setting. Slowly adjust from there on
SSJBen
post Oct 18 2020, 04:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

user posted image

chriscym
Please don't use a tape measure. That's almost the dumbest way (besides eyeballing it) you can use to get speaker distance right. Only religious cable believers would do that. Distance is not actually distance in the AVR, it's actually called time delay a very long time ago.

The distance corresponds to how long it takes for sound to reach the MLP, in accordance to reflections, decay and ringing within the time domain of the room. An example, if the left surround speaker is 6ft away from your ears with a tape measure, you don't actually put 6ft in the distance setting on the AVR. You have to take in the reflections that will add to this time when it bounces to your floor, ceiling and side walls, it certainly will NOT be 6ft.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Oct 18 2020, 09:29 PM
chriscym
post Oct 19 2020, 11:33 AM

Enthusiast
760 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Oct 18 2020, 04:26 PM)
user posted image

chriscym
Please don't use a tape measure. That's almost the dumbest way (besides eyeballing it) you can use to get speaker distance right. Only religious cable believers would do that. Distance is not actually distance in the AVR, it's actually called time delay a very long time ago.

The distance corresponds to how long it takes for sound to reach the MLP, in accordance to reflections, decay and ringing within the time domain of the room. An example, if the left surround speaker is 6ft away from your ears with a tape measure, you don't actually put 6ft in the distance setting on the AVR. You have to take in the reflections that will add to this time when it bounces to your floor, ceiling and side walls, it certainly will NOT be 6ft.
Perhaps its best to have the AVR built in advanced Audyssey xt32 calibration software to do its job.
SSJBen
post Oct 19 2020, 03:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 19 2020, 11:33 AM)
Perhaps its best to have the AVR built in advanced Audyssey xt32 calibration software to do its job.
Audyssey does a decent job at it as long as you place the mic properly.

That means using a tripod or better yet, a tripod with a boom arm to hold the mic. Do not put the mic on pillows or boxes to level it until it reaches ear height as the mic will pick up the resonances from those surfaces (yes pillows DO NOT entirely kill sound, they still reflect them!).
GuyM
post Oct 22 2020, 10:33 AM

Regular
1,415 posts

Any place in PJ Subang to repair Bose sub?
sonerin
post Oct 22 2020, 06:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,465 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 19 2020, 11:33 AM)
Using the software is totally fine. Sometimes our mic placement or room sound which will throw off the measurement. So using a more old fashion way will be able to set it correctly. Anyway this is one of the question about doing manual calibration.
chriscym
post Oct 23 2020, 02:11 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

All sifu here, a bit confusing here about Impedance level setting in the AVR.

My speaker support Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms, do I need to set the AVR impedance to 6 Ohms? Default value of the Denon is 8 Ohms.
ben3003
post Oct 23 2020, 02:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,693 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 23 2020, 02:11 PM)

My speaker support Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms, do I need to set the AVR impedance to 6 Ohms? Default value of the Denon is 8 Ohms.
if got option to set then need to set to the speaker ohm.
ktek
post Oct 23 2020, 02:37 PM

wings wings
8,858 posts

elac set? no diff to use 6 ohm 8 ohm
SSJBen
post Oct 23 2020, 03:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 23 2020, 02:11 PM)

Do not touch the impedance switch. LEAVE it at its default 8ohms. Pretend the impedance switch doesn't even exist.

Reason is because when you switch the impedance on the receiver to 4ohms (or 6 or whatever it allows you), what you're actually doing is actively cutting the power by up to 50%. Why would you ever want to do that? The impedance switch is there on the receiver so that it can pass a UL rating.

A speaker's nominal impedance is just simplified rating. NO speakers on earth has a static impedance number. The impedance of a speaker goes all over the place, very dynamically based on the load and frequencies it is playing. Impedance is NOT a linear scale. 6ohms nominal generally means that is how low the speaker will go over the majority of frequencies it is capable of playing.
But if you constrict the power supply in the first place, it doesn't even matter if your speaker can hit 30hz flat on paper, it won't because there's simply not enough power for it to reach that low and hence you run into distortion.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Oct 23 2020, 03:55 PM
chriscym
post Oct 23 2020, 03:16 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Oct 23 2020, 02:22 PM)
if got option to set then need to set to the speaker ohm.
Thanks, I read this article https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-rev...8015/conclusion it says that don't change the Impedance , that is why I am confused

Editorial Note: Impedance Selector Switch - No matter how tempted you may be to do so, DO NOT change the default "8 ohm min" impedance setting of ANY AV receiver. All this does is starve your speakers of power, simply so Marantz could get 4-ohm certification (at a reduced power level) without making the receiver get too hot during their power tests. We have tested this 'feature' on virtually every receiver that offered it in the past and the results were always the same: the low impedance setting robs your speakers of power.
kevinlim001
post Oct 23 2020, 03:46 PM

Ethical Hacker
5,441 posts

apa avr u orang guna.. why my sendiri shiok sendiri avr no option for me to change impedance 1? lol
ben3003
post Oct 23 2020, 03:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,693 posts

ok its my bad, so better leave it as it is. sifu here more pro lol. i also don have avr that can set. maybe normally we see the power we see the matching ohm how many power can it produce to see whether the amp can drive the speaker or not.
SSJBen
post Oct 23 2020, 04:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,949 posts

Ohm/impedance = resistance.

Guna logic sikit, why would you want to match impedance when that resistance is not even linear nor a fixed number in the first place?

It's not rocket science.
sonerin
post Oct 23 2020, 05:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,465 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Oct 23 2020, 03:46 PM)
apa avr u orang guna.. why my sendiri shiok sendiri avr no option for me to change impedance 1? lol
Yamaha AVR has the option to change.
chriscym
post Oct 23 2020, 05:01 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Oct 23 2020, 02:37 PM)
elac set? no diff to use 6 ohm 8 ohm
Yes Elac Debut 5.2
sonerin
post Oct 23 2020, 05:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,465 posts

You don't need to change the impedance. Speaker (Ohm) is never constant. It will goes up and down as you use. It depends on the volume level. During some loud scene the ohm will be lowered so that the speaker can draw more power and during the more quiet scene, the ohm will maintain at nominal level. If you check your speaker specification it will state what is the lowest ohm the speaker can go.

chriscym
post Oct 23 2020, 05:05 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Oct 23 2020, 03:46 PM)
Denon AVC-x3700 , from the manual , there is a hidden setting that you can set by the following steps

1. Press and hold the main unit’s ZONE2 SOURCE and STATUS at the same time for at least 3 seconds.
“V.Format:< PAL>” appears on the display.
2. Press DIMMER on the main unit three times.
“Sp.Imp.:<8ohms>” appears on the display.
3. Press SOUND MODE or PURE DIRECT on the main unit to select the
impedance.
Can change to 8, 6, 4 Ohms
4. Press the main unit’s STATUS to complete the setting.
chriscym
post Oct 23 2020, 05:06 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

Thanks everyone for your input and valuable advice. Learn a lot from you sifus there

85 Pages « < 82 83 84 85 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0221sec    0.56    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th December 2020 - 12:53 AM