118 Pages « < 58 59 60 61 62 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

AV Receivers/ Speakers/ Subwoofers, Discussion & Opinion

views

SSJBen
post Nov 24 2017, 07:28 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Nov 24 2017, 07:03 PM)
Thanks bro. notworthy.gif

My mind already set for RX V683 although the last time was V681. biggrin.gif

Why is it that the RX V583 and the RX V683 difference so much in terms of price?  hmm.gif
V683 has:

+ more video inputs (HDMI and component)
+ more pointless features (you can "bi-amp" with 683, by why anyone would do that on a puny amp like this is beyond me)
+ extra flexibility of connecting speakers, you can connect up to 9 channels although the receiver can only process 7 at any one time, however that gives you the flexibility to switch between say 5.1.2 in your main zone to 5.1 + 2.0 in zone 2. There's flexibility to setup systems in your house basically.
+ pre-out for zone 2
+ 12v trigger out
+ YPAO RSC vs ordinary YPAO

You pay for more features. Worth it? That's up to you decide if you need the extra features.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Nov 24 2017, 07:31 PM
TSjovigrunge
post Nov 24 2017, 07:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,607 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Nov 24 2017, 07:28 PM)
V683 has:

+ more video inputs (HDMI and component)
+ more pointless features (you can "bi-amp" with 683, by why anyone would do that on a puny amp like this is beyond me)
+ extra flexibility of connecting speakers, you can connect up to 9 channels although the receiver can only process 7 at any one time, however that gives you the flexibility to switch between say 5.1.2 in your main zone to 5.1 + 2.0 in zone 2. There's flexibility to setup systems in your house basically.
+ pre-out for zone 2
+ 12v trigger out
+ YPAO RSC vs ordinary YPAO
You pay for more features. Worth it? That's up to you decide if you need the extra features.
That's the thing. Desa Home Theater selling online for RM2067 for the V583 while the V683 was priced around RM2800. Almost RM700 price gap! rclxub.gif
SSJBen
post Nov 24 2017, 10:36 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Nov 24 2017, 07:46 PM)
That's the thing. Desa Home Theater selling online for RM2067 for the V583 while the V683 was priced around RM2800. Almost RM700 price gap!  rclxub.gif
Honestly speaking? Both receivers are poorly priced.

The Denon x1400h is a better buy at RM2k and does just as well as the v683/583.
TSjovigrunge
post Nov 24 2017, 11:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,607 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Nov 24 2017, 10:36 PM)
Honestly speaking? Both receivers are poorly priced.

The Denon x1400h is a better buy at RM2k and does just as well as the v683/583.
What is the Denon AVR-X1400H?

user posted image

Denon’s latest 7.2-channel mid-range receiver has an even more impressive set of features than its predecessor, the awesome Denon AVR-X1300W. Its snazziest new trick is support for Denon’s HEOS multiroom platform, allowing it to integrate seamlessly with wireless speakers such as the Heos 7 HS2 – as well as bringing a wider range of music streaming services to the table.

Denon claims to have upgraded audio performance with a new hi-res audio DAC, and has added support for the Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR video standards – the latter via firmware update. 3D audio fans get Dolby Atmos and DTS:X out the box, plus Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirPlay and Spotify Connect. All of this can be yours for the reasonable sum of £429.

Denon AVR-X1400H – Design and Connections

user posted image

Not a great deal has changed on the design front, but I’m not complaining. The AVR-X1400H is a good-looking black box with an elegant brush-effect fascia and discreet button layout. General build quality is solid – the bodywork is rigid and weighty and the knobs turn smoothly – but the moulded plastic trim surrounding the front sockets cheapens the look a little.

The AVR-X1400H’s reasonably compact size makes it shelf-friendly, although you’ll need to leave headroom for the flip-up Wi-Fi aerials on the back.

On the front, large volume and source-selection knobs flank the central display panel. The display is nice and wide, leaving room for all those long audio formats and sound modes. Below that sits a row of buttons for a seemingly arbitrary choice of functions, including tuner presets, zone 2 controls and Quick Select keys that jump straight to an input and saved settings.

Front connections include an HDMI 2.0 input, a USB port for music playback from memory devices, and a headphones output. There are five more HDMI 2.0 ports on the rear of the device and an ARC-enabled output. All of the HDMI sockets support 4K/60p, HDCP 2.2, HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG, the latter being added via firmware update in the autumn.

user posted image

Elsewhere, you’ll find a modest selection of sockets, perhaps reflecting the decreasing need for physical connections in an increasingly wireless world. There are two optical inputs but no coaxial ports, while analogue connections are limited to two audio RCA inputs, two composite video inputs and a composite output. Dual subwoofer pre-outs cater for bass heads, while an Ethernet port gives you a more stable alternative to the built-in Wi-Fi.

Denon AVR-X1400H – Features

Now found on all of Denon’s 2017 receivers, HEOS multiroom support lets you play music through the AVR-X1400H and an entire network of Denon speakers around your home.

And even if you don’t have any other Denon wireless speakers, you can use the HEOS smartphone app to stream music from Spotify, Tidal, SoundCloud, Napster, TuneIn radio, as well as your own NAS drives and PCs.

The AVR-X1300W could stream DLNA music and internet radio, but it was all conducted through the unit’s old-fashioned on-screen menus. Using the app is slicker, quicker and brings extra functionality to the table. It’s a great move.

If HEOS isn’t for you then AirPlay, Bluetooth and Spotify Connect provide other streaming options. Built-in dual-band Wi-Fi uses a dual diversity antenna system for robust error-free streaming.

With a rating of 145W per channel, there’s plenty of power in the tank. Seven discrete channels let you build a traditional 7.2 system or a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X system with two height speakers. Dolby Surround Upmixer and DTS Neural:X sprinkle some 3D audio magic on regular soundtracks.

Denon has switched to the new AK4458 32-bit DAC from Asahi Kasei, which offers improved resolution and dynamic range compared with less expensive options. Also under the bonnet is a DSP chip with four 300MHz cores and new circuitry for input switching and volume.

The Denon can also play hi-res audio via network and USB, including FLAC 192/24, WAV 192/24, AIFF, DSD 5.6MHz and ALAC 96/24.

Denon AVR-X1400H – Setup and Operation

Denon’s improved Setup Assistant makes life even easier for the uninitiated. It walks you through each stage of the process, including speaker connections, calibration, network setup and TV audio connections. The low-res text, graphics and black backgrounds still remind me of an old SNES RPG, but they’re easy enough to follow.

user posted image

The same goes for the setup menus – old-school in appearance but clear and thorough. Given the vast amount of features on board, the fact that Denon has made installation so simple is a real achievement.

You don’t have to manually calibrate the speakers, either – the Audyssey MultEQ XT room-correction system handles that for you. Using the supplied microphone and cardboard stand, MultEQ analyses the acoustic properties of your room and sets DSP filters to ensure the optimum tonal balance. The Denon takes readings from eight listening positions for the most accurate results, but you can stop after three.

The AVR-X1400H is also compatible with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App, which lets you customise the sound to suit your personal taste or correct specific problems. The catch is that it costs £19.99, so it’s for serious soundsmiths only.

The upgraded remote is designed for maximum simplicity. The buttons have been stripped down to the essentials, including a bank of input keys at the top and four Quick Select keys at the bottom. The volume keys are prominent, the direction pad is perfectly placed and there’s a handy HEOS key that fires up the multiroom playback. The plasticky build is a shame, but I can’t fault it for usability.

user posted image

Denon offers not one but two smartphone apps to control the AVR-X1400H. HEOS takes care of all the network streaming business, and does so with aplomb.

The app is split into three sections: Rooms, which controls your entire multiroom system; Music, which lets you select a streaming source; and Now Playing, where you’ll find playback and volume controls. The menus are logical, attractive and quick in operation.

user posted image

user posted image

When streaming music through the HEOS app, the Denon displays the relevant cover art and metadata on your TV. Its low-res fuzziness feels outdated in today’s hi-definition world, but they have a certain charm.

user posted image

Meanwhile, the Denon 2016 AVR Remote app handles the traditional AVR functions, allowing you to switch sources, control playback and explore setup options across a series of basic menus. It’s nowhere near as slick as the HEOS app but it covers all bases. Cleverly, you can switch between the two apps using an icon at the top of the screen.

Denon AVR-X1400H – Performance

Hooked up to the terrific Tangent Spectrum speaker system, the AVR-X1400H delivers more of the same sparkling sound quality as the AVR-X1300W.

As I’ve come to expect from Denon, it’s a refined, insightful performer, imbuing movie soundtracks with plenty of crystal clear detail. Play Rogue One on Blu-ray and voices are layered with texture, while the familiar clack of Stormtrooper boots and guns in Imperial corridors are crisp and precise.

user posted image

This keen attention to detail makes the on-screen action feel believable, no matter how otherworldly the situation. And when Saw Gerrera’s militants ambush Imperial forces on Jedha, the Denon’s natural clarity and poise makes the action easy to follow – there’s no congestion as explosions and blasters fill the room.

A skilled surround practitioner, the Denon pings effects between channels quickly and accurately. No matter how subtle the sound or which speaker it comes from, the Denon maintains its mesmerising clarity. Step up to Dolby Atmos or DTS:X tracks and the height channels are conveyed with similar lucidity.

It’s expressive and agile, with just enough bite to get the pulse racing. But Denon’s refined approach might disappoint those looking for a flat-out muscle fest – rival brands such as Yamaha offer a more boisterous sound, tackling the above scenes with greater vigour.

However, that’s not to say there’s no firepower behind the finesse. When the Death Star blows up Jedha City, the Denon has no trouble conveying the scale of the destruction. It builds a huge wall of sound as the tidal wave of rock thunders forward, backed by a mammoth rumble from the sub.

There’s clearly plenty of power under the bonnet, but with its smooth, measured approach it sometimes feels like the Denon is holding something back.

But these characteristics lend themselves beautifully to stereo music playback. From subtle hi-hats to vocal inflections, high-frequency detail flutters from the speakers, while the full-bodied mid-range makes vocals sound warm and emotional. It’s all reinforced by tight, punchy bass.

I played a wide range of tunes via HEOS, CD and Bluetooth and was consistently impressed by the Denon’s composure, warmth and agility.

Should I buy the Denon AVR-X1400H?

With its comprehensive feature list, polished performance and affordable price tag, the AVR-X1400H is yet another must-buy from a brand operating at the top of its game.

Support for Dolby Vision (and HLG eventually) alongside every other 4K flavour keeps the Denon future-proofed for years to come, while the addition of HEOS multiroom makes music streaming easier than its predecessor. It’s also a cinch to install and operate.

In terms of performance, its smooth, articulate sound is textbook Denon. It teases out plenty of detail and orchestrates multi-channel soundtracks with panache. There’s plenty of scale and power, too – but bear in mind that rival amps such as the Yamaha RX-V581 offer a bigger, more boisterous sound, if that’s what floats your boat.

But in all other respects, the AVR-X1400H is a killer amp that demands a place on your shortlist.

Verdict

Future-proofed features, stunning sonics and multiroom streaming make the AVR-X1400H an irresistible AV receiver, although Denon’s refined approach lacks the vigour of rivals.

Pros
*Tasteful design and robust construction
*Slick HEOS multiroom streaming
*Dolby Vision & HLG support
*Sparkling sound quality

Cons
*Rivals offer more power and vigour
*Low-res menus
*Remote build quality

Key Features
*Review Price: £429.00
*7 x 145W power output
*HEOS multiroom streaming
*4K/60p, Dolby Vision & HLG HDR support
*Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 and DTS:X decoding
*Dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirPlay, internet radio, Spotify Connect and DLNA

Score
Score in details
Performance 9/10
Features 9/10
Sound Quality 9/10
Design 8/10
Value 9/10

Overall 4.5/5

SOURCE

*Wow, impressive overall review! Current price: RM2151.00. Something to consider. hmm.gif
mymadmax
post Nov 25 2017, 09:40 AM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Nov 24 2017, 11:41 PM)

SOURCE

*Wow, impressive overall review! Current price: RM2151.00. Something to consider.  hmm.gif
You should really consider 2nd hand receivers. Your beloved yamaha https://www.facebook.com/groups/HTnHiFiOfMa...592110270850089 You get all the advance room enhancement features which will save you from future upgrades as they do a very good job.
TSjovigrunge
post Dec 12 2017, 12:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,607 posts

2018 Potential Target

AV Receiver = Yamaha RX V683 = RM2750
Bookshelf speakers = Q Acoustics 3020 = RM1180
Center Speaker = Q Acoustics 3090C = RM850
Subwoofer = SvS (still considering)

tvcat
post May 18 2018, 08:56 PM

Mr. Dumb Dumb
2,860 posts

Hello all sifu
i want to buy Denon AVR-X540BT
speaker 2 biji - NCA 51LW
sub - Yamaha YST-SW500
tv - Sony 4K

the avr can use or not?
my ear cacat so no need so good avr haha, very budget. thanks.
AVFAN
post May 18 2018, 09:30 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tvcat @ May 18 2018, 08:56 PM)
Hello all sifu
i want to buy Denon AVR-X540BT
speaker 2 biji - NCA 51LW
sub - Yamaha YST-SW500
tv - Sony 4K

the avr can use or not?
my ear cacat so no need so good avr haha, very budget. thanks.
i hv a x520BT.

can do - 4k, hdr.

but no dtsx, no ddatmos.

entry level, good euf.
tvcat
post May 18 2018, 10:28 PM

Mr. Dumb Dumb
2,860 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ May 18 2018, 09:30 PM)
i hv a x520BT.

can do - 4k, hdr.

but no dtsx, no ddatmos.

entry level, good euf.
thanks bro how much u bought?
AVFAN
post May 19 2018, 12:07 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tvcat @ May 18 2018, 10:28 PM)
thanks bro how much u bought?
rm1.3k, jan 2017.

540bt is successor to 520bt, i think.
tvcat
post May 19 2018, 07:27 AM

Mr. Dumb Dumb
2,860 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ May 19 2018, 12:07 AM)
rm1.3k, jan 2017.

540bt is successor to 520bt, i think.
Thanks bro
kabyss87
post May 22 2018, 06:35 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

Hey guys,

I wonder if it is possible to get a compact setup for tv usage as i wan really disappointed with the performance of current soundbar.

i've tested our various soundbar and to my surprise, those soundbar that floats around RM1k sounded bad compare to my 13 yrs old 2.1 Edifier speakers which cost about 400 bucks back then.

I really wanted the aesthetic of the soundbar (less expose wire, wireless sub) but i really feel that it wasnt worth it to pay that much for just some decent sounding speaker.

From my understanding after reading the thread, a common custom setup only requires the speakers + Amp only? or i'm missing anything important here. And can i get a decent setup for about RM1k with compact form factor (due to small living room space)

was imagining could get something like this.. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/psb-...soundbar-system but this is way out my budget.. XD

Please enlighten. Tqvm

This post has been edited by kabyss87: May 22 2018, 06:42 PM
SSJBen
post May 22 2018, 07:25 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(kabyss87 @ May 22 2018, 06:35 PM)
Hey guys,

I wonder if it is possible to get a compact setup for tv usage as i wan really disappointed with the performance of current soundbar.

i've tested our various soundbar and to my surprise, those soundbar that floats around RM1k sounded bad compare to my 13 yrs old 2.1 Edifier speakers which cost about 400 bucks back then.

I really wanted the aesthetic of the soundbar (less expose wire, wireless sub) but i really feel that it wasnt worth it to pay that much for just some decent sounding speaker.

From my understanding after reading the thread, a common custom setup only requires the speakers + Amp only? or i'm missing anything important here. And can i get a decent setup for about RM1k with compact form factor (due to small living room space)

was imagining could get something like this.. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/psb-...soundbar-system but this is way out my budget.. XD

Please enlighten. Tqvm
Unrealistic budget, even if you aren't expecting the PSB W3 setup. I mean, you korek your wall and make sure it fits perfectly to an in wall system already cost how much? sweat.gif

RM1k is simply too low to get a receiver + a pair of speakers.
The cheapest receiver that handles 4k passthrough, all the recent codecs at a SECOND HAND price is already around RM1k. A pair of speakers, the very cheapest second hand adequate bookshelf would run you around RM500.

So looking for new at RM1k? Not going to happen.
kabyss87
post May 22 2018, 10:38 PM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ May 22 2018, 07:25 PM)
Unrealistic budget, even if you aren't expecting the PSB W3 setup. I mean, you korek your wall and make sure it fits perfectly to an in wall system already cost how much? sweat.gif

RM1k is simply too low to get a receiver + a pair of speakers.
The cheapest receiver that handles 4k passthrough, all the recent codecs at a SECOND HAND price is already around RM1k. A pair of speakers, the very cheapest second hand adequate bookshelf would run you around RM500.

So looking for new at RM1k? Not going to happen.
that was just for an example. I am totally noob with custom audio setup, that is why any input from sifus like you would be a high value to me.. biggrin.gif

i'm not expecting anything fancy like korek wall or anything, as long as the speakers are slim enough for wall mount and it sounds good, i'm already very happy with it.. laugh.gif

but base on what you've mentioned, what would be the most realistic budget for a 2.1 setup?

Thanks for sharing bro
Ngto
post May 23 2018, 10:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,268 posts

Your soundbar doesn't come with subwoofer?
SUSjdgobio
post May 23 2018, 03:12 PM

Regular
1,010 posts

QUOTE(kabyss87 @ May 22 2018, 10:38 PM)
that was just for an example. I am totally noob with custom audio setup, that is why any input from sifus like you would be a high value to me..  biggrin.gif

i'm not expecting anything fancy like korek wall or anything, as long as the speakers are slim enough for wall mount and it sounds good, i'm already very happy with it..  laugh.gif

but base on what you've mentioned, what would be the most realistic budget for a 2.1 setup?

Thanks for sharing bro
Your best bet for under RM1k will be computer speakers (active speakers with their own built-in amplifiers). You will have to see what type of connections your TV has right now for external audio and make sure the active speakers are able to take that connection. You can use headphone out from your TV (not all TVs have this) or the RCA jacks (which are rare these days) or Optical out (most tvs have this but most PC speakers don't have it).

This is one good example I found at Mudah :
PSB Alpha

You can also find many new active speakers like Edifier, Thonet & Vander & others within your budget.

The downside of such systems is they are not scalable so you will not be able to add speakers, a subwoofer or an amp in most cases. But they serve the purpose of giving you much better audio than your TV speakers and most cheap soundbars.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the ad in Mudah just sharing what I found.
SSJBen
post May 23 2018, 05:49 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(kabyss87 @ May 22 2018, 10:38 PM)
that was just for an example. I am totally noob with custom audio setup, that is why any input from sifus like you would be a high value to me..  biggrin.gif

i'm not expecting anything fancy like korek wall or anything, as long as the speakers are slim enough for wall mount and it sounds good, i'm already very happy with it..  laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing bro
The suggestion I always give to new buyers is to do it in stages.

Buy the necessary things first:

- Receiver
- Pair of speakers
- Subwoofer

Then slowly after that, you can expand and add your center channel (or omit it entirely if you don't have a wide listening space), add a pair of surround speakers, add another sub.

For the receiver, entry level options include Yamaha RX v385 or Denon x540bt - new, they cost around RM1.3k or so. You can search the second hand market for last year or 2 years ago model that are higher end but for slightly more. It's the better option for now because receivers has not had any significant advancement in technologies since 2015. HDMI 2.1 support is supposed to be in this year's models, but from the looks for it - not likely.

Then for speakers, that's a subjective thing. It depends how much you want to spend and to an extent, how much space you have. You mention you want to wall mount, so your options are generally limited to speakers that are either sealed or have front firing ports. Because they have to "slim", it does mean that on their own they will pretty much have almost no bass. These Polks are o-kayish as an example.

As for a sub, that'll depend on your room space. I thoroughly believe in the saying that there no such thing as too much bass. There is only either good bass or bad bass. Get the biggest most potent sub you can fit in your space, buy it once and use it forever instead of buying a fart box and throwing it out the window within a year.
BOTAK_WAI
post May 23 2018, 06:36 PM

Blow Water First Class
3,813 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ May 23 2018, 05:49 PM)
The suggestion I always give to new buyers is to do it in stages.

Buy the necessary things first:

- Receiver
- Pair of speakers
- Subwoofer

Then slowly after that, you can expand and add your center channel (or omit it entirely if you don't have a wide listening space), add a pair of surround speakers, add another sub.

For the receiver, entry level options include Yamaha RX v385 or Denon x540bt - new, they cost around RM1.3k or so. You can search the second hand market for last year or 2 years ago model that are higher end but for slightly more. It's the better option for now because receivers has not had any significant advancement in technologies since 2015. HDMI 2.1 support is supposed to be in this year's models, but from the looks for it - not likely.

Then for speakers, that's a subjective thing. It depends how much you want to spend and to an extent, how much space you have. You mention you want to wall mount, so your options are generally limited to speakers that are either sealed or have front firing ports. Because they have to "slim", it does mean that on their own they will pretty much have almost no bass. These Polks are o-kayish as an example.

As for a sub, that'll depend on your room space. I thoroughly believe in the saying that there no such thing as too much bass. There is only either good bass or bad bass. Get the biggest most potent sub you can fit in your space, buy it once and use it forever instead of buying a fart box and throwing it out the window within a year.
good subwoofer(s) are going to cost him so much biggrin.gif
SSJBen
post May 23 2018, 06:51 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(BOTAK_WAI @ May 23 2018, 06:36 PM)
good subwoofer(s) are going to cost him so much  biggrin.gif
He wants slim on wall speakers, so a sub is basically compulsory. Different if he would just buy bookshelfs on stands or a pair of towers - which he could then just buy the sub later.
BOTAK_WAI
post May 23 2018, 10:20 PM

Blow Water First Class
3,813 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ May 23 2018, 06:51 PM)
He wants slim on wall speakers, so a sub is basically compulsory. Different if he would just buy bookshelfs on stands or a pair of towers - which he could then just buy the sub later.
i wonder if the sony ss series speakers still on shelf? else he should consider get a LCR setup with that and pair with denon/sony avr.

slim on wall speakers in my opinion not worth it.

118 Pages « < 58 59 60 61 62 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0212sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:23 PM