Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Angkor Wat, Siem Riep & Phnom Pehn, Cambodia experiences & attractions

views

??!!
post Jun 8 2007, 12:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

How bad is the rain in June?...will it mean i face risk of being stranded in a flood or get drenched while out in the ruins of Angkor?

Does it pour cats and dogs and for how many hours does the rain last?

am thinking of going last minute trip next 2 wks
??!!
post Jun 8 2007, 11:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

QUOTE(nitalice @ Jun 8 2007, 03:43 AM)

Since you have decided for the trip, I think trip during raining season will be a good choice if you don't mind flooded road (but I think in KL sometime the road also flooded when heavy rain came) because everything look green unlike hot season and as you know Angkor area are surrounded by big trees which are old as some temples.

Thanks lots for info.

Actually, I havent booked anything..just thought of going somewhere this June.
If the rain is really gonna spoil it all, i do Angkor another time.

if it floods, does it mean that i will be stranded ...i am thinking is it like out yr end monsoon kind of flood at east coast where one can get stranded/marooned for quite a while!
??!!
post Jun 8 2007, 06:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

juichuan n nitalice,

thx 4 the heads-up

air fare from spore with Jetstar..in Seam reap, out PP...RM 500

For those of you who have used the services of This Mr. Kunn of Jasmine Guesthouse ...
their package include driver cum guide-
does the guide bring us into the temples and explain/point out spots with explanation or just drop us off at entrance and wait for us?

Friends who used tuk-tuk driver cum guide dont go into the temple with them

This post has been edited by ??!!: Jun 8 2007, 06:38 PM
??!!
post Jun 28 2007, 04:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

Thx fpr the info!
??!!
post Nov 13 2008, 10:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

Anyone done Kg Phluk tour ?

I saw one full day tour , include lunch + local mkt visit for US$25, but the date not suitable for me
Other operators are charging US $55

Anyone has recommendation?
??!!
post Dec 20 2008, 12:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

QUOTE(yhtan @ Nov 13 2008, 04:44 PM)
i need help on this, planning to go there around end of june 2009, well me and my friend planning to siem reap, then proceed to phnom penh, the problem is how many nights i should stay in siem reap? and is there any transport from siem reap to phnom penh?
if any tour agent available in siem reap, i would really appreciate it
How many days in SR depends on what you like. I spend 4 days in SR...3 days doing the temples + 1 day Tonle Sap tour + shopping/ watch the world go by....

Transport SR to PP...by boat, flight or express bus..

Bus is popular choice..takes about 6 hours...see country side scenery along the way, half way stop ...see ppl selling fried insects, duck,etc.

No need get agent in SR...get Tuk-tuk driver ...book whole day US10-12 per day. Can engage guide for about US 20 -25 if u want. Not necessary for guide also can.
??!!
post Dec 28 2008, 10:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

Stayed near PP riverside where lots of tourist sites/ are within walking distance.

Chose a new outfit Volkemon Inn ..aircond room US$30 for double room.
Cheaper room at US$20 also avialable. Good location for food as well.
Run by scandinavian man ..good restaurant downstairs by same operator

There also cheaper alternatives.

Pix of room
here
??!!
post Dec 28 2008, 11:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

yeah..they don't have a web site as at last month when i was there.

can email Edvin( owner)at inninpp@yahoo.com,,its on st 104
, just next to the riverside

??!!
post Jan 5 2009, 05:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

I think better to spend 4 days in SR and 2 in PP.
SR has got more things to see and it's cheaper than PP.
??!!
post Jan 5 2009, 07:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

1 day to do the temples is not enuf.
Other than 1 day pass, there's 3 day pass.
1 day do small circuit, 1 day do big circuit'
1 more day do outlying temples. ...i m not a temple person , thot i would be templed out, but i wasn't
every temple is different.
1 more day do the tonle sap /fringing villages
In between that go watch aspara dance, try the food at old mkt area, go for massage

And of course shopping lah ....

??!!
post Jan 5 2009, 11:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

QUOTE(jasperchai @ Jan 5 2009, 08:17 PM)
wahh.. really really thanks...
tot i b bored in SR..
hear your advice makes me more excited for my trip...

massage got any place to recommend? do they do whole body?
n wat to shop in SR?? i know silk is famous n cheap there... anything else tt can be bought back as souvenir?
I too wasn't too enthusiatic about my Cambodia trip and had been diverted to other destinations until recently. Thought I better go before the masses spoil it all. I am so vowed over by the temples, but i am actually reading up on each of the the temples in details!!!

Souvenirs are the usual scarf...the local versions are made of cotton, called karma, The silk ones are much nicer and cost more...also ,made into handbags, baju ( there are some really gorgeous gowns made from silk at Artisan Angkor ) pillow/cushion cases..Silver objects are quite nice. Bronze and stone sculpture ...if u r into those things.

Massage is not as good as the thai ones..it's a milder version of the thai massage..yes they do whole body massages. There are a few in the same road at Pub Street..across the road from Blue Pumpkin ( i got addicted to the ice-cream here)..competition is fierce here , all will distribute pamplets and offers..u can check and decide. I tried a few diff one..more or less the same.

QUOTE(stimix @ Jan 5 2009, 09:01 PM)
I'm thinking of 2 day pass instead of 3 day...any discount on 2 day pass?  On 3rd day will be going to Tonle Sap...Going in Mar'09 school Holiday too...

Hotel - Mandalay Inn in Siem Riep (3N) & Holiday Villa in Phnom Pehn (2N)
Altho' I've read that Angkor Archaeological Park is 400 square kilometers, the extent of the temple complexes is mind boggling when experienced in the flesh

Don't have 2 day pass..I also thought 2 days is enuf..but since kena beli 3 day pass, i used it for outlying temples...luckily didn't miss it. We hike up a hill to get to the river of a thousand lingas ..Carved river bed with images of Hindu gods and lingas !!!

user posted image

user posted image

Some pix of the less visited temples...

Pre Rup..my fav.

user posted image

user posted image

Other images

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

??!!
post Jan 6 2009, 07:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jan 6 2009, 04:42 PM)
Wow that crystal clear river damn cool...OK no choice..just found out no 2 day pass too...I just worry if I took the 3 days pass, I can't goto Tonle Sap bcos I only hv 3days in Siem riep b4 heading to Phnom Penh..ANyway I also found out children below 12 exempted from paying.. thumbup.gif

BTW, how far is this river from Angkor Wat?....well better do more research now....another of my shoe string backpacking trip  blush.gif  biggrin.gif
If u buy the tickets (for the foll day) after 5 or 5.30pm u get into 1 of the spots to watch sun-set for free.

The river of 1000 lingas is known as Kabal Spean is about 30 km from Angkor Wat. Then hike 1.5 km ( about 1 hr) up a hill until u reach a waterfall and a river that provides water to the angkor region. The carvings that line the stream beds are said to purify the water before it fills the reservoirs of Angkor.

Part of the route is like laterite road, and the dust as u travel on the road makes it advisable not to use a tuk-tuk.

If u r not on a packaged tour, maybe u can do tonle sap on the morning before u go to PP..Take the afternoon bus ..about 12.30 pm or 1 pm.
2 reason, ...PP still do- able in 1 day...do all yr shopping in SR, ( cheaper )..and the Sun rise on the Great Lake is simply fabulous.I didn't know this until i've seen pictures taken by other travellers.
??!!
post Feb 25 2009, 10:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

With the good road condition between SR and PP, the boat ride is a no go in terms of comfort, safety, cost and sights.
This is the majority view of travellers which i find from my 'research' on the WWW.

Mekong Express stops at their office at the riverside. Mekong was going for US $12.
I stayed nearby when in PP but took another express at US8 per pax. They even pick us up from our inn in SR
It stops near the railway station which i think is near psar Thmei .
If you don't have large bags, it seems a walkable distance from riverside to hotel.

We walked from hotel near riverfront to wat phnom. and then stroll all the way to psar Thmei .

The bus is like our regular express bus.Take a lookie

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2a7go...feat=directlink

Edit : corrected order of sentences

This post has been edited by ??!!: Feb 26 2009, 12:25 AM
??!!
post Feb 26 2009, 12:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Feb 25 2009, 11:36 PM)
Tnx again Nitalice & ??!!  rclxms.gif ..very helpfull..@US$25, dun think will use the ferry  sad.gif ...& yes The Holiday Villa is the same HV group as the Jln ampang & also Subang Jaya ..their HQ. ..Location wise just across Psar Thmei & even nearer to the railway station..If Mekong exp stop at Railway station much better  rclxms.gif ..just opposite the hotel  thumbup.gif
Sorry, pal.
On reading back my post, I inserted the part on mekong Express and the meaning of my para has gone haywire.

I mean the bus I took stop at Railway Station.
Mekong stops at riverside.

If u want to take the one I took, I'll go bongkar my stuff..think I still have the ticket butt somewhere.

This post has been edited by ??!!: Feb 26 2009, 12:26 AM
??!!
post Feb 26 2009, 01:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

i stayed at Volkemon Inn, rooms from US 20 - 30.
Operated by Scandinavian who also run the restaurant on ground floor

..on St 104 at riverside, near where Mekong express stop.
Very convenient and clean...walk to many places of interest.

Pix of room

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vEAVC...feat=directlink
??!!
post Feb 26 2009, 02:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

stimix,

The express i took from SR - PP
Ponleu Angkor Khmer Transport Co.

It stopped along the way to pick up/drop passengers, but just 2 times. Anyway it was along the main road, no detours ,,so I didn't mind.

I shld have stopped at Railway station and walk straight to St 104.
But i asked a fellow passenger (Cambodian) who speaks some English, he told me to stop immediately after Friendship Brdg....
jialat. ohmy.gif end up lagi jauh!!! as u can see from the map.

This post has been edited by ??!!: Feb 26 2009, 02:45 PM
??!!
post Feb 26 2009, 04:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Feb 26 2009, 03:31 PM)
OK now getting clearer meaning just beside the TV3 station?...That maps u have really helps me a lot (& much better than those by canbypublication...too small to zoom-in) & I will update those interesting point of interest to the GPS maps I have currently.

The free GPS maps that I have have limited point of interests & even dun have the POI of Holiday Villa  doh.gif

For those going Cambodia & bringing GPSr, u can download latest free maps here (Jan'09) :

http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.p...=210&category=2

BTW, nitalice u hv similar Siem riep maps ha  blush.gif ..The one in my above link & the gps maps abit empty. or not visible upon zoom-in  blush.gif  notworthy.gif
Don't worry ...about getting lost. The roads are more or less in grids..quite difficult to get lost actually.

The canby publication one is quite good. can get free guidebook + map from the hotels and restaurants
??!!
post Feb 27 2009, 11:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

I've posted some info + pix of some of the spots covered while in cambodia here

and food matters there

Russian market is a bit like the huge weekend market place ( the name deludes me now !. ) in Bangkok...where the stalls are cramped like crazy as in here
Most of the souvenirs here are also avialable in SR which is cheaper. Just go for the experience.

My experience of makan places are

SR

Cambodian food ...fish amok is generally nice altho tried the same dish at diff place , the taste is different @ time.
Tried cambodian dishes while doing the temples. To save time, my lunches were taken at the restaurants near Sra Sang.
Cambodian food is good altho it's even more expensive than at Pub Street.

Also tried Cambodian at Dead Fish Tower. The steak is a real let down. Fish amok is good. Go for the 'strange' set-up and say hi to the croc at the back of the restaurant. nod.gif

Khmer Kitchen and Khmer Family at Pub street also have good and reasonable priced cambodian dishes.

While in PP, stumbled on 2 morning markets, saw a huge crowd at a shop selling noodles with pork...very good..very near to St 104 where we stayed.

Dinner at LemonGrass at riverside..serves thai and cambodian food. The thai food is really really good. Western food at Volkemon has got rave reviews ,but didn't get to eat there as they are not open for business when we leave for our walk-abouts. Lots of choices for makan at nice restaurants in PP along the riverside.

For local food, there's 1 to 2 streets of shops and stalls that sells all sorts of food and desserts for dinner. Think it is the place Nitalice described..few streets from the Central Mkt.. walk towards the riverside and follow the lights...that's how hubby and me discovered the place

??!!
post Feb 28 2009, 01:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

There's a boat trip(Isabella) that includes transport SR - PP ( n vice versa) and include stop-over to Kg Cham and few more spots.

Thought of doing that instead of bus SR-PP + Tonle Sap.

Didn't do due to cost and time factor
??!!
post Mar 10 2009, 03:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

Stimix,

Yes, if u buy tkt for Day 2 at about 5 ish pm on Day 1, u can get in 'foc' to see some of the temples. Don't forget, u have to bear transportation there which is about US $ 12 per tuk tuk. it gets dark quite early (compared to Msia) and u may not cover so much within the hour or so.

Speaking of the Co that's collecting the entrance fee, I read somewhere that only a very small portion of the fees goes back into the restoration and maintenance of the Angkor Temples..Funny how this can be allowed to happen??? And....apparently, the company is not even Cambodian!!! there's a huge luxurious hotel owned by the same co. which is near the hospital..can see while on the way to Angkor Park.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0516sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:54 PM