adriankhoo153
post Jun 10 2007, 09:20 PM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

Will be going there on this coming July..Hehe, hope for a nice aventure there
nitalice
post Jun 10 2007, 09:34 PM

11 posts

juichuan, I never eat the leg of that criket, the taste is at its body and head sweat.gif sweat.gif .

adriankhoo153, I just ask someone from Siem Reap (also in Phnom Penh) and they said not much rain during this month, so i hope you enjoy your trip.
adriankhoo153
post Jun 10 2007, 09:40 PM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

QUOTE(nitalice @ Jun 10 2007, 09:34 PM)
adriankhoo153, I just ask someone from Siem Reap (also in Phnom Penh) and they said not much rain during this month,  so i hope you enjoy your trip.
Wow, thanks for ur help dude. I will be going there July. Hope i get one good experince there. With breathtaking scene of golden Angkor Wat when sunset..wahaha laugh.gif
nitalice
post Jun 10 2007, 09:44 PM

11 posts

Yes, the best thing is that u will have a clear sky to enjoy a sun set.

have a nice trip
juichuan
post Jun 11 2007, 11:07 PM

LA-Little Angel
Group Icon
VIP
1,634 posts

QUOTE(nitalice @ Jun 10 2007, 09:34 PM)
juichuan, I never eat the leg of that criket, the taste is at its body and head  sweat.gif  sweat.gif .

lol.. i can skip the head part.
beebee
post Jun 12 2007, 03:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,091 posts

I'm planning to go there during mid January 2008, has bought the Air Asia tickets

Anything special during January?

Any cultural difference that we need to take note of?

This post has been edited by beebee: Jun 12 2007, 03:54 PM
nitalice
post Jun 12 2007, 07:49 PM

11 posts

Well, we dont have any local celebration in January but the good thing is that there is no more rain and the weather is consider the best through out the year (cold but not really cold it just that at night is possible for temperature to drop to 24 or 25c, like Malaysia).

So it is better to visit the temple when the temperature is not hot so you will not feel much tired. Usually is good for tourist from the West since we are in Asia so you wont feel any much different fro the weather.

Hope you have a nice time.
juichuan
post Jun 18 2007, 05:15 PM

LA-Little Angel
Group Icon
VIP
1,634 posts

my mum is hopping again soon. she is bringing a group this time. not sure if it is confirmed but will commence end of this month biggrin.gif
nitalice
post Jun 18 2007, 05:36 PM

11 posts

Wow it sound really interesting. I would like to say thank you to her for give a recommendation for the trip to Angkorwat.

All the best and wish everyone enjoy the trip. rclxms.gif
reddevil00
post Jun 18 2007, 07:34 PM

14 posts

hey i'm planning a trip to cambodia tis coming Nov.
would like to knw should i just visit Siem Reap or should i include Phnom Penh???
nitalice
post Jun 18 2007, 08:05 PM

11 posts

Am not sure the exact date u will visit Camboida. However if u will come to visit during water festival (23-25Nov) then I think you can visit Ankgorwat 3 or 4 days before 23 and visit Phnom Penh during festival then u can go back through Phnom Penh International Airport.

I would say u will not fell regret to visit both Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh during November even not the festival day because it is best time in the year as everyone has suggested (no rain and not hot).

If you come to Phnom Penh you can rent hotel at in front of the riverside which also near royal palace(u also can visit thge royal palace too, ticket 2usd/person) because the boat racing will be held at the river infront of the hotel. I am not sure about the price but if hotel near the river (not directly oposite the river) may cost around 10-20usd per room which depend on the demand.

U may also try Capitol guess house (very popular among backpack tourist) coz there are many foreign tourists there. So you may come back from Siem Reap by bus (capitol bus, cost 5-6usd Siem Reap to Phnom Penh) and the bus will stop at the station which there is also a guess house there. But Capitol guess house is quite far from the boat racing place which is in front of royal palace. it migh take you 20-30 to walk there i think.

Just my opinion, you may get some advice from those who used to travel to PP.
If u have any question, pls dont hesistate to ask in this forum.
thanks

Added on June 18, 2007, 8:10 pm
http://www.everyday.com.kh/services/maps/
You can get Phnom Penh and Siemreap map from here. You may ask me for any direction of Phnom Penh.

However, I cannot help for Siem Reap coz am a PP local sad.gif
Hope u can have a best trip in Cambodia, reddevil00.

This post has been edited by nitalice: Jun 18 2007, 08:14 PM
katopunk
post Jun 23 2007, 06:37 PM

United Pot Smugglers
2,342 posts

nitalice, it's great to have a PP local like you here to talk about your country. i've seen some pics on the net. awesome. i like this http://www.pbase.com/maciekda/cambodia2004

anyway, i'm heading there on 27 september. goin to stay at sunday GH. located at street 141. i know there's a market nearby street 141. what is the market's name? russei or tuol tom pong?
nitalice
post Jun 24 2007, 01:42 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(katopunk @ Jun 23 2007, 05:37 PM)
nitalice, it's great to have a PP local like you here to talk about your country.  i've seen some pics on the net. awesome. i like this http://www.pbase.com/maciekda/cambodia2004

anyway, i'm heading there on 27 september. goin to stay at sunday GH. located at street 141. i know there's a market nearby street 141. what is the market's name? russei or tuol tom pong?
katopunk, good to hear that you already has planned for trip to Phnom Penh.

Regarding your guest house, I am not sure about the place but I already check the street there. Actually I dont know how u book this guest house; however if you ask me for opinion, I would say that you better change the place since those area seem dark at night (it also near my friend house so I know how the place is).

If you look at the attached image, you will see the Olympic Stadium at the left hand side. This area usally dark at night not many house there (stadium and pagoda) it is a business area which is very crouded in day time but seem quite after 6 or 7PM.

I think you may probably think of another guese house area which is not quite far from your current booking which located at 107 street (in picture) which is also near a main street (Boulvard is usually refer to main street in Phnom Penh) which name like capitol ( i dont know the rest coz the capitot is the first in that area).

Or you may consider a guest house for back pack tourist (~ 3 - 7 usd) which located at Beoung Kak Lake which there are many tourist around the world there.

Another choice is looking for a guest house near the river side since most of the tourist attraction areas are located arounf river side and royal palace.

If you have an agent book an guest house for you, then u may ask them for guest house around capitol area or near the river side area.

If any of you want a big side of Phnom Penh map, pls dont hesitate to mail me (nitalice@khmermail.com) since I cant post here coz the image very big after I have combined each piece of map together and I also put some notes on the map which may help you.

Note: you dont have to send your real mail to me (to prevent for any spam if you are afraid) but just create any temporary mail to recieve mail form me.

Thanks

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
moodyday
post Jun 25 2007, 06:03 PM

33 posts

hello nitalice/ to everyone who have been to cambodia b4,

could u all mind to list down in details places of interest for siam reap and pp? i am interested to go backpack. if can, recommend the guesthouse also. (6D5N) or (7d6n) depends.
should i bring usd there or bring their local currency?

because as i read from the threat u all mentioned everything in usd.

thanks

This post has been edited by moodyday: Jun 25 2007, 06:05 PM
nitalice
post Jun 25 2007, 08:48 PM

11 posts

moodyday, I would say welcome to cambodia rclxms.gif

Regarding the interest place I think I can you of list of some place worths to visit although I am not so sure in siem reap (there are alway new place in siem reap for tourist every year).

In Phnom Penh:

- Royal Palace and National Museum (near each other)
- Wat Phnom ( the historical of started of Phnom Penh Capital City in 1400s)
- Tuol Tompuong Market (or Rusian Market) for souvenir products
- Psar Thmei Market (or New Market) but the price is usually overcharge so you better a good bargan skill or just look around and go to buy at Rusian Market instead which usally very popular among Tourists
- Soriya Shopping Center (near Psar Thmei) is the biggest shppoing mall in Cambodia (actually really small compare to mall in KL)
- Tuol Sleng Prison (S21 Prison) was the high school which had been used to touture about 20,000 people during Khmer Rouge (Pol Pot) regime ( U may visit and can witness the sad history of Cambodia people between 1975-1979

In Siem Reap:

- Beside visiting temple I think you can visit Chung Kneas ( by boat) to see the flooded village which people stay over water the whole year even the school.
- Baray ( A large lake) which was old as Ankor War era and used for irragetion
- Cutural Village which a good show regarding the culture of Khmer people

Regarding guest house, it is depend on your budget or preference which might range as low as 3 usd ( in PP)

However in Phnom Penh, I think you may consider capitol guest house or other hotel or gusest house near the riverside. If you arrive at Siem reap First then you ask the hotel in Siem Reap to arrage hotel in PP for you, just tell them the price range and area (like near River side which I would recommend)

Regarding the guest house in Siem Reap I hope people in this forum who used to visit there may able to give u some recommendation.

About the currency, you can use both local (riel) and usd. However if you want to use USD then it is better to bring small note (1,5 and 10) which is widely accepted than 20,50,100 unless you spend in large shop or pay for big amound of price over 20usd. The reason that large note is not popular because they fear of fake usd dollar, let say if they can sell 50usd and make profit of 5 to 10sud however what is a point if the note they got is fake and usually the fake note is the large note.

Travel between Siemreap and Phnom Penh, you can use boat, bus and plane. By boeat may cost you 25usd(1way), bus (5-6usd/one way), plane ( not sure 50-60usd/one way). If you enjoy the water then try boat (7am to 12pm) but no lunch provided (Tonle Sap Lake is really big during raining sean, it is like a sea) or you can use bus (7am - 12pm) which they might stop in half way to have lunch or WC. If you prefer bus I would recommend Mekong Express which is cleaner and better condition (only 1 or 2 usd different from other company).

Thanks and hope people in this forum can give some contributions.
TSfreshyyf
post Jun 26 2007, 08:23 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

Use USD indeed. You will get very confused with their local currency. Somemore, they can give you back change in their local currency even if you use USD.

Read the thread. I have recommended the Jasmine Guest House. But I think he raise the price already. Try to convince him that you are introduced by some Malaysians and he may give you discount rate. I have recommended many people to go there.

Backpack alone may be more costly. Try backpack in 4 persons. Everything is easier. The expenses there is very reasonable.
moodyday
post Jun 26 2007, 03:02 PM

33 posts

thanks nitalice and freshyyf.
would like to know is 6d5n there in siem reap and pp too long?
or i can discover everything which is less than 6d5n?

adriankhoo153
post Jun 26 2007, 04:56 PM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

Nice info..my trip is coming! Hehe.. After my HK trip on next friday dulu..hoho. So happy
katopunk
post Jun 27 2007, 01:05 AM

United Pot Smugglers
2,342 posts

Thank you nitalice for the informations on PP. i'm totally on my own. solo trip there. i'm on budget constraint also. taking roughly RM2000 to there. i suppose it's more than enough if i try to save on the expenditure.

actually i've booked the GH thru hostelworld. it seems like the GH got quite reasonable rating. http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.ph...-PhnomPenh-9223
i'm not sure but maybe i could try the GH at beoung kak lake area after the trip to kampot.

i'm on a backpack trip for 2 weeks in cambodia. PP (2 days)> Kampot (2 days) > PP (1 day) > Pursat (1 day) > Battambang (2 days) > SR (4 days). actually my initial intention i wished to visit more places like Sihanoukville, Kampong Chhnang, Kratie, Rattanakiri. but i'm afraid i don't really have the time to really explore the towns. so i changed my itinerary. that's why i plan to skipped Sihanoukville and etc. should i skip Sihanoukville? what is your advice?

oh ya, there is another thing i wanna ask does the train in cambodia still operational? i heard it only run once a week nowadays. i want to experience that too.

here's my email. neozanneti[at]hotmail[dot]com. thanks alot~!

This post has been edited by katopunk: Jun 27 2007, 01:06 AM
nitalice
post Jun 27 2007, 01:58 AM

11 posts

katopunk, nice plan, I have alrady send the map of Phnom Penh to you, i would say if I have enoug time i will try to combine the map of Shihanouk ville and Siemreap for you.

Regarding the guest house, I would prefer the beoung kak lake area the Sunday Guest House area as I have mentioned that it seem quite at night moreover if you think about price I think beoung kak lake even cheaper and many backpackers there.

However for hotel in Siemreap, I sugest you try freshyyf suggestion since I already have a nice experience with that guest house.

About your budget I would say it might be enough (depend of your expenditure preference though) but at least you make sure you have some to secure for any emergency( I dont want to mean that everything is expensive in Cambodia but just for secured). Regarding Visa card and master card may let you take some money in case you need but I think the service maybe only available at big city like Phnom Penh, Battambang, SiemReap or Shihanouk ville or any are which has ANZ Royal bank ATM service (it is a local alliance bank with ANZ australia).

Between Kampot and Shihanouk Ville, I would prefer Shihanouk ville since Kampot seem quite at nigh at not many choice of accomadation availlable even transportation unlike Shihanouk Ville since it is an international port of Cambodia like Port Klang I think. So i think I would recommend Shihanouk villed instead and you also can rent a boat to visit some near island as many tourists go there and dont worry about security as I think sleep at Army barrak on island with the rent like one bed and moskito net with 5usd per night i think.

However if you have large group then Kampot maybe Ok( I'm just afraid that you may feel boring in Kampot esp at night).

Regarding train in cambodia, it is a really funny train comparing to KTM drool.gif the speed is very fast (~20-30km/h) as it use coal and no toilet on the train so if you feel sth then you may go to the roof (I just kidding, I am not sure how people go to toilet too but it usually stop at station a long the way maybe every 2 or 3 hours). However some tourist really like travel by train coz they said it hard to find such old train right now ( what a poor country sad.gif ). Morevoer I think only 2 route available. One to battambang which will past Phnom Penh-Kampong Chnnang-Pusat. The secind one to Shihanouk Ville which will past Phnom Penh and Kampot.

Ok, I think it is too long already. If you have any doubt feel free to post here so everyone the experience in Cambodia.

Good luck,

Added on June 27, 2007, 2:01 am
QUOTE(moodyday @ Jun 26 2007, 02:02 PM)
thanks nitalice and freshyyf.
would like to know is 6d5n there in siem reap and pp too long?
or i can discover everything which is less than 6d5n?
I think 6d5n shuld be enough since I suggestyou may spend 4day in Siemreap and last 2 days in Phnom Penh because the first day if you travel with air asia then you will arrive at evening already (4.30 to 5PM).

This post has been edited by nitalice: Jun 27 2007, 02:01 AM

139 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0376sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:52 AM