Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Home Defect Rectification Checklist, After vacant posession! Update With Pics

aaronpang
post Dec 21 2006, 10:42 PM, updated 7y ago

Cat Exterminator
Group: Senior Member

For all you first time homeowners and property investors, a guide to check your newly acquired property for defects and getting your monies worth out of your investment.

Part 1 - Introduction

After picking-up the keys to your new home/investment be it a house or condo, you should check for defects immediately and fill-out a defect rectification form.

Some developers will provide you with a standard form; others will just require you to list out the defects on a piece of paper and send it in.

The fist time I checked my first purchase the outcome was just a simple list of defects, BIG mistake!

Maybe the contractor just didn't bother with reading the defect list I painstakingly jotted down sad.gif Or maybe I didn't pay extra attention into detailing where the defects are located. When the rectification work was done the contractor didn't fix everything, only the very obvious flaws. doh.gif

I'm writing this for my second home, and I'll share what I've learned the hard-way!

PS: Mods I'm reserving a few posts for the remainder of this article and some pictures I hope it's all right!

One of the units mine is in the background laugh.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:21 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 21 2006, 10:42 PM

Cat Exterminator

Part 2 - What You Will Need

Besides a pen and paper you'll also find the following items useful:-

user posted image

1) Marker Pen
2) Masking Tape
3) Measuring Tape
4) Spirit Level
5) Torch Light
6) Stool
7) Digital Camera - camera not shown in photo for obvious reasons hmm.gif

I) Marker Pen & Masking Tape

Use the Marker Pen and Masking Tape to mark out areas of concern so that contractors doing rectification work can easily spot trouble areas.

It helps because it's mystifying to figure out where the defects are from the description on the defect list to an actual flaw on the house.

You can also scribble notes and express your displeasure on the masking tape so there is no miscommunication. smile.gif

II) Measuring Tape & Spirit Level

Use the Measuring Tape & Spirit Level to determine if there are any structural deviations with the room dimensions and walls. The sprit level also helps determine if doors and windows are properly vertical/horizontal. The spirit level also helps check walls and ceilings are horizontal and not slanted.

Trust me it's better than trying to visually confirm a slant with the naked eye.

III) Torch Light & Stool

A Torch Light and Stool is great for exploring nooks & crannies or highlighting those high out of reach places with masking tape. It's also a lot easier to carry around a stool than a 7'ft ladder.

IV) Digital Camera

Use a Digital Camera to document the defects with photographs, if there is any dispute or misunderstanding, this helps to demonstrate if defects have been fixed or overlooked by the contractor during rectification work.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:16 AM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 21 2006, 10:43 PM

Cat Exterminator

Part 3 - Defect Checklist What to Look Out For

Now that you've got all your defect hunting tools together here is what to look out for

1) Walls and Ceiling
2) Tiles and Floor
3) Doors and Window
4) Miscellaneous Fixtures
5) Leaky Pipes

1) The Walls & Ceilings

I'm referring to all Wall and Ceiling surfaces.

I) Cracks, Wavy and Uneven Surface.
It's pretty common and you should be able to see it quite easily.

Cracks on the Walls
user posted image

Sorry no pictures of uneven or wavy surfaces it was impossible to get it to show up in pictures.

II) Holes and Chips.
Holes and Chips on walls and ceilings are also another common defect and can occur due to accidental knocks and bumps or poor quality of materials used.

Oh gawd chips everywhere and not the kind you can eat doh.gif

Chips Everywhere around the Staircase Area
user posted image

Missing Plaster
user posted image

III) Fungus and Water Marks.
It can happen due to piping leakage or roofing defects. On the top floor the ceiling is covered in ceiling boards make sure the boards are not damaged or dirty.

Fungus & Water Damage
user posted image

More Water Damage
user posted image

Not a fungal or water mark but definitely an Indon mark vmad.gif
user posted image

IV) Others.
Lumps & Bubbles, Flaky Paint, Protruding Objects:- like nails, stray pipes, loose wiring & iron rods sticking out of walls and ceilings.

Exposed Metal Rod
user posted image

Window Frame Covered in Cement
user posted image

Poor Paint Job
user posted image

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:12 AM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 23 2006, 01:14 AM

Cat Exterminator

2) Tiles & Floor
The Tiles & Floor include kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, floor tiles and cornices.

Tiles - Missing/Cracked/Chipped/Slanting

Missing and damaged Tiles & Floor are easy to spot for defects. However it's not easy to check for hollow tiles which are due too little plaster underneath.

The danger is the tiles can come off or crack if not remedied. Tap on tiles and if they sound hollow mark it out as a defect anyway and get the contractor to fix it.

Also make sure that the joints between the tiles are properly filled in with plaster. If you notice deep gaps make sure they fill it in.

Gaps in the Wall Skirting
user posted image

Not many other defects on the tiles everything is fine as far as I can tell!

3) Doors & Windows

Doors and Windows are fairly easy to check. Ensure that doors and windows easily open and unobstructed. Check for shoddy workmanship like missing screws, damage and rust.

Also ensure that everything is properly installed and there are no large gaps between the door and window frames. It's also a good time to check for water damage since windows not properly installed will leak during heavy downpour.

Check also that rubber seals for the windows are intact.

Check the developer's inventory list for missing fixtures and accessories. You'll usually get a list of items that come with your home such as the number of electrical points, taps, sink, shower heads and etc.

Check the list thoroughly and make sure nothing is missing!

BEFORE:

user posted image

AFTER:

user posted image

Yup the sink was missing tongue.gif so was the wiring, seems some gawd damn thief carted away those items from our finished unit.

5) Leaking Pipes

Leaking Pipes are also easy to detect, check the exposed piping for leaks or walls where the pipes run through for water stains.

Query the developer on where the pipes in your unit are; in future it will help to prevent accidents due to accidental nailing or drilling. You don't want to hang a picture frame and puncture a pipe all in one go. tongue.gif

I'll end it here, I'll start inspecting more of the unit tomorrow and post extra pictures once I'm done.

Feel free to comment and suggestions/improvements are welcomed!

....More to come pictures being cropped and uploaded nod.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:17 AM
+Quote Post
Jenn77
post Dec 23 2006, 01:19 AM

Look Ma' Im Flyin! Gee~

AAron.. wheres the house, looks interesting.. Im looking for a double storey link also. drool.gif Btw, looking at the cracks on the wall, how do u think the contractor will help to solve the problem? AFAIK, the houses are build from sand bricks, not clay bricks. So u got to becareful not to nail anything on the wall coz it will just puncture and damage the wall.

This post has been edited by Jenn77: Dec 23 2006, 01:23 AM
+Quote Post
Civil
post Dec 23 2006, 01:34 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Jenn77 @ Dec 23 2006, 01:19 AM)
AAron.. wheres the house, looks interesting.. Im looking for a double storey link also.  drool.gif Btw, looking at the cracks on the wall, how do u think the contractor will help to solve the problem? AFAIK, the houses are build from sand bricks, not clay bricks. So u got to becareful not to nail anything on the wall coz it will just puncture and damage the wall.
Nice guide thumbup.gif
Anyway, your new house got so many defects ! May I know who's the developer?

+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 23 2006, 01:36 AM

Cat Exterminator

AAron.. wheres the house, looks interesting.. Im looking for a double storey link also.
Click this link for more details...

Basically it's Taman Puchong Utama Phase 10B!

Why don't you mention where is the location you're interested in and the budget you have?

Happy hunting and I hope this post would be useful when you got your own home sweet home thumbup.gif

Btw, looking at the cracks on the wall, how do u think the contractor will help to solve the problem? AFAIK, the houses are build from sand bricks, not clay bricks. So u got to becareful not to nail anything on the wall coz it will just puncture and damage the wall.
The cracks and defects the developer will repair because the house is still covered by the defect liability period which is 18month. biggrin.gif

Most likely they will cover it up with more plaster and paint it over. Clay bricks are expensive moneyflies.gif

Yeah I know where the pipes are cool2.gif I also know where most of the wiring are brows.gif

+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 23 2006, 01:52 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Civil @ Dec 23 2006, 01:34 AM)
Nice guide  thumbup.gif
Anyway, your new house got so many defects ! May I know who's the developer?
It's not that bad I'm a pest and looked at every nook and hole laugh.gif pictures are from one of two houses we purchased.

Most of the defects are fairly common. Minor cracks, chips and leaks are expected cry.gif it's not too bad.

It could be worse, I could have a slanting wall, broken tiles, deep holes, major cracks, indoor waterfall doh.gif etc...

The developer is Hillcrest S/B I think they are linked to Glomac since they have an address at Manara Glomac rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif just guessing here unsure.gif

Anyway the defects will be fixed by the developer blush.gif

Stay tuned for more pictures cool.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:59 AM
+Quote Post
Civil
post Dec 24 2006, 05:22 PM

Casual

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 23 2006, 01:52 AM)
It's not that bad I'm a pest and looked at every nook and hole  laugh.gif pictures are from one of two houses we purchased.

Most of the defects are fairly common. Minor cracks, chips and leaks are expected cry.gif it's not too bad.

It could be worse, I could have a slanting wall, broken tiles, deep holes, major cracks, indoor waterfall  doh.gif etc...

The developer is Hillcrest S/B I think they are linked to Glomac since they have an address at Manara Glomac  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif just guessing here  unsure.gif

Anyway the defects will be fixed by the developer  blush.gif
Stay tuned for more pictures  cool.gif
My parents bought a house from Hillcrest S/B also in Tmn Sri Gombak. Anyway, it was 20 years ago and the house has no defect when they bought it.

I have few of my friends telling me not to buy property from some of the delevelopers because of quality,defects, house not ready in time etc. Anyway, I forgot the name they mentioned.

This post has been edited by Civil: Dec 24 2006, 05:22 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 25 2006, 01:14 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Civil @ Dec 24 2006, 05:22 PM)
My parents bought a house from Hillcrest S/B also in Tmn Sri Gombak. Anyway, it was 20 years ago and the house has no defect when they bought it.

I have few of my friends telling me not to buy property from some of the delevelopers because of quality,defects, house not ready in time etc. Anyway, I forgot the name they mentioned.
Talam or Mayland or maybe MKLand there are just too many errant developers to keep track off...

You can google around especially Talam "Puchong Lestari" the houses are abandoned and those completed had quality issues. Not to mention Puchong Lestari is near a dumpsite. Stinks to high heaven when it rains user posted image

You can still drive by and see all the abandoned houses, really pity the owners.

You can also google for Mayland the defects in their apartments are totally shocking shocking.gif

Merry Christmas cool.gif

edit: BTW Don't worry about Hillcrest the defects aren't too bad it's minor and not entirely unexpected but the water stains really cheesed me off mad.gif

The important thing is to find all the defects and get it fixed thumbup.gif

edit2: Talams Many Problems

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 25 2006, 01:30 AM
+Quote Post
Civil
post Dec 25 2006, 01:22 AM

Casual

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 25 2006, 01:14 AM)
Talam or Mayland or maybe MKLand there are just too many errant developers to keep track off...

You can google around especially Talam "Puchong Lestari" the houses are abandoned and those completed had quality issues. Not to mention Puchong Lestari is near a dumpsite. Stinks to high heaven when it rains user posted image

You can still drive by and see all the abandoned houses, really pity the owners.

You can also google for Mayland the defects in their apartments are totally shocking  shocking.gif

Merry Christmas  cool.gif
TALAM CORP ! That's it!
Eh...I taught MKLAND was a good developer. The company seems ok what, sponsor there ..sponsor here.. sweat.gif

Just saw their project after LDP near the curve. Quite ok!

This post has been edited by Civil: Dec 25 2006, 01:23 AM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 25 2006, 02:29 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Civil @ Dec 25 2006, 01:22 AM)
TALAM CORP ! That's it!
Eh...I taught MKLAND was a good developer. The company seems ok what, sponsor there ..sponsor here.. sweat.gif

Just saw their project after LDP near the curve. Quite ok!
Metropolitan Square is a disaster for some of it's buyers... it's an MKLand Project not to mention the endless stream of complaints from owners of Armanee Terrace another MKLand project see here http://forum.armaneebuyers.com you'll have to register to read the forum.

On yeah and look here too http://propertymalaysia.blogsome.com/2005/...sales-strategy/

The management identified slow sales, delays in construction and provisions for late delivery charges as the main causes of the weaker financial performance.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 25 2006, 02:39 AM
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Dec 25 2006, 06:39 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

this is a great topic!

drawing from experience, it is a good practice for buyers to inspect the house personally, preferrably with the construction drawings approved by the architect(s) in hand the whole time. problems highlighted by aaron in this topic are mostly superficial, although it does make ur house look "cheaper" than what u've spent.

however, it is my experience that contractors sometimes could make such a huge error, for example, missing a floor beam! before applying for CF, usually architects will do a thorough inspection of each and every house in the development. but inspecting 500 houses in a week can be tiring, and even architects can miss such errors.

and do take extra care on "cracks". there are several types of cracks, most commonly are plaster cracks, which is virtually small matter and can just be patched with fillas and painted over. other cracks can be structural, which something u must pay attention to. it's very hard to differentiate even for the experienced.
+Quote Post
dreamer101
post Dec 25 2006, 10:13 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Real World Issues, Finance, Business and Investment House
Group: Elite

Hi,

How do you find out whether your new house will be flooded??

Dreamer
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Dec 27 2006, 03:56 PM

Mr.Dependable

and guys... dont forget bout termites!! i just bought a house in putra heights... the stairways and room wooden panel are filled with this critters! luckily also the house is under warranty. the exterminators came n spray. if that doesnt help, need to drill holes and inject pesticide into the ground... find out from ur developer wut land is ur house on. rubber estate or kelapa sawit. mine was k.sawit hence the termites... baskets!! rubber estates dont have such problems.... my developer is sime UEP.
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 28 2006, 02:02 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(chloelew @ Dec 27 2006, 03:56 PM)
and guys... dont forget bout termites!! i just bought a house in putra heights... the stairways and room wooden panel are filled with this critters! luckily also the house is under warranty. the exterminators came n spray. if that doesnt help, need to drill holes and inject pesticide into the ground... find out from ur developer wut land is ur house on. rubber estate or kelapa sawit. mine was k.sawit hence the termites... baskets!! rubber estates dont have such problems.... my developer is sime UEP.
chloelew good advice!

Ex estate but I don't know what kind of plantation it was!

However I got a cert from the developer that the ground has been treated by a pest control company for termite infestation rclxms.gif
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Dec 28 2006, 10:24 AM

Mr.Dependable

but do check ur house every 6months for infestation. check wooden panels... if u see a sand tunnel sort of like a wasp nest.... if u see those... call pest control ade... somemore i heard they can roam on ur walls.... feasting on wirings and cables... they wont eat ur wall bricks.sometimes u will see them coming out from ur wall power socket... damn scary.... and if ur roof also got infestation... call ASAP!

aaronpang, your house alot of prob le.... mine is just leaks, minor tweaks (sliding door cant open, some paint work and most serious..... termites!) who is ur developer?? must watch out...for my house, if its not for termites.... ill say my house would be quite perfect.... this is my house....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 29 2006, 02:32 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(dreamer101 @ Dec 25 2006, 10:13 AM)
Hi,

How do you find out whether your new house will be flooded??

Dreamer
Hi dreamer101,

I'm not 100% sure on a guaranteed method to check and predict the risk of flooding...

But I did make it a point to purchase my home on higher ground icon_question.gif it should reduce the risk of water flooding my home! I'll try to snap a photo!

Actually there is another source of information and that's to check with your insurance agent... they should be able to help on a personal basis.

I pestered my agent for the risk information on the surrounding area and property. I can't post the information online because she only showed it to me from her laptop.

Hi chloelew and azarimy,

Thanks for your feedback I'll incorporate it into the guide! TQVM! notworthy.gif

BTW chloelew that is a nice home you've got there thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 29 2006, 02:35 AM
+Quote Post
billytong
post Dec 29 2006, 10:13 AM

Lord Sauron

I would like to add on, if you have a chance, do check your house during or after heavy rain. Watermarks do not appear immediately. Best is to check every single spot. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Jan 3 2007, 03:46 PM

love your neighbour, help serve society

hi aaron, after u mentioned those defects to your developer, does the developer do what they need to do? my house got some painting problem (the door frame got white colour(paint from the wall)), and i want them to clear the mess for me since i don't want to waste money to buy a new paint. However, i dunno they will do last minute touch up or not lar, actually i haven't get the key yet but the door lock is not fixed yet so i just went inside the hse and see..
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Jan 3 2007, 05:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!

roof top leaking is important. during raining days, i will go up the manhole and take a look. A few leakage was found. The developer is now cutting cost on installing those materials, dont know what its called.. only brown paper or aluminium foils on the roof..
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 4 2007, 09:32 AM

Mr.Dependable

usually is aluminium foil. one is to prevent leaks and another thing is to reduce heat. we have to live with it. workmanship is not wut it was 10 years back. my parents house bout 26-30 years already.... no such thing as termites nor leaks even untill now.... new houses now is a risk itself.

stormchaser.... go to the developer office and fill up the form.they have to do it.

btw, guys... if u have recently bought a house.... and ur house location is quite famous for notorious house breakins.... or have alot of our indon frens, pls keep in mind dont always think of them entering ur house from the back or the front.... they are now coming in from the top. afew of my frens house in usj kena already.... so beef up security on the roof....just a reminder only..... smile.gif
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Jan 4 2007, 09:45 AM

anything we can do on the roof? some of my friends installed the metal pieces on top of their ceiling.. it will prevent, but i think it's very hot during sunny days.. what other things we can do?
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 4 2007, 10:59 AM

Mr.Dependable

add wooden beams..... usually in all roof, there is a 12" gap between wooden beams. so if u add another in between those 2 beams, the gap will be shorten to 6". ppl cant get in. ive added additional wooden beams already to my house. feel safer la... cause if ur out on a business trip and ur wife or gf only one at home.... those indon frens come from the top, then wut will happen? take things nevermind... if they hurt ur wife/gf cialat man.... local girls does look and taste better. prevention better than cure my frens..... price range is bout Rm1.5k-RM3k depending on how big is the house. but u better make sure ur house got no termites on the roof first b4 u do it. usually the contractor will check for u. if got termites they wont do wan.... ask u settle those ants first....normally la....

metal piece is also good... 100% secure but then sunny day, ur house will be like an oven! no need la.... very very much more expensive than wooden beam. price range is bout RM4k-7k or more....

but bear in mind, if ur house is still under warrantly from the developer and u do this adding beam thingy, ur roof warranty will be gone. meaning if roof leaking, u need to find back ur contractor which does the wood adding for u. developer wont cover... they got spies... alot of them... when i did mine, the developer contractor came n take pictures of my personal contractor doing my roof. its their proof... so cannot argue if have leaks. smart @ss.... hmm.gif hands.gif

This post has been edited by chloelew: Jan 4 2007, 11:06 AM
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Jan 4 2007, 11:11 AM

Enthusiast

normally how developer deal with those fungus mark on the wall? they jus repaint it?
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Jan 4 2007, 11:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!

i have motion sensor on top the roof and all the manhole are alarmed.. not 100 percent but better than none at all...

the aluminium foil paper on the roof were used now but b4 that i they they have an insulation material like cottons right ?
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 4 2007, 02:35 PM

Mr.Dependable

adrianocy, if u call the developer and tell them bobut fungus mark on the wall, they will just come n scrape it off n paint it back up. just thats not the way. u need to do certain treatment to the wall. usually fungus growth is the cause of leaks. check on it. ur wall is wet hence fungus growth. once u checked the leaks n repaired, treat the wall with anti fungus paint sealer then only paint over.

hackwire, motion sensor ar? so hi tech... must have cost u a bomb. i also wan sensor.... sad.gif no fundings.... haih....
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Jan 4 2007, 03:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!

not really, i nstalled 2 on the roof and its around RM 300 plus plus only...
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Jan 4 2007, 04:07 PM

hackwire, what type of sensor u r using? Rm300++ ok wor.. How does it work? When senses something then alarm activated? or ??
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Jan 4 2007, 04:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!

actually my alarm cost for all protection including grill and door cost not more than RM 1800. i add sensors for the roof as well..

i hack it and my house is fully protected with alarm now.at night i can switch on the roof sensor.

it detect movement and body heat.. my advise is to get the 360 degree sensor for the roof ...

This post has been edited by hackwire: Jan 4 2007, 04:49 PM
+Quote Post
??!!
post Jan 4 2007, 11:37 PM

Regular

QUOTE(stormchaser @ Jan 4 2007, 09:45 AM)
anything we can do on the roof?  some of my friends installed the metal pieces on top of their ceiling.. it will prevent, but i think it's very hot during sunny days..  what other things we can do?
the metal pieces u referred to ..zinc sheets?...placing them on roofs is a fire hazard
and will render your fire insurance void.

another way to secure your roof is to have timber strips across the roof truss, close enuf to prevent someone squeezing thru.
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Jan 8 2007, 04:29 PM

Enthusiast

this is my defects so far...look at those fungus !! is it worst?

hackwire..may i know wats da alarm brand? any contact for it?

??!! : do u hav any sample pic on the timber strips?

Attached Image
crack tiles at the master bathroom edge...imagine water flow into it.

Attached Image
fungus at master bedroom. location near to the window. i can see water stain mark from roof..suspect leakage

Attached Image
fungus mark enlarge

Attached Image
poor tiling work...internal empty

This post has been edited by adrianocy: Jan 8 2007, 05:09 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Jan 8 2007, 04:59 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(adrianocy @ Jan 8 2007, 04:29 PM)
this is my defects so far...look at those fungus !! is it worst?

hackwire..may i know wats da alarm brand? any contact for it?

??!! : do u hav any sample pic on the timber strips?
Hmmm better inform your developer about that cracked tile... could you tell us where is the fungus located inside the house or outside...? Near any windows?

If it's growing on outside then its expected coz the paint that the developers tend to use is the cheapo variety so fungus can grow on it after raining.

If it's on the inside typically the fungus will appear on walls and ceilings where there are piping/roof leaks... sometimes funguses will grow near window panes because there could be cracks or the window seal/frame is damaged and let moisture inside.

Any case get the developer to check the inside of your home for leaks and patch it because painting it over won't make fungal growth go away... the fungus will just reappear later user posted image

If it's on the outside of your house go buy some good quality paint with anti-fungal formula and repaint... ps remove the old paint and fungus first before repainting get the developer to do that.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Jan 8 2007, 05:03 PM
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Jan 8 2007, 09:34 PM

Enthusiast

i've edited my post pic wit description
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 10 2007, 11:22 AM

Mr.Dependable

timber strips price ranges between RM1.5k -3k. affordable la... if full zink metal... damn hot ur 2nd floor during noon time... and if fire break out, cannot claim insurance. kinda scary. if u have additional $$$, get an alarm but if its sensor alarm wut if rats and cats caught by the sensor? will it trigger the alarm? if it does... then prob also. oh well.. nothing is perfect... do wut is neccesary in ur view will be fine.

i just did the grill to my house. not those normal grill... its reinforced. thicker metal pieces and its not joined by welding. some places are.. but mostly the bars are all slide into each other. those normal ones... use car jack can pry open...this is safer but cost more... but wut the heck safety comes first... this friday will be doing the plaster ceiling.... my termites prob is still doing... haih.... big problem that one. then do he kitchen cabinet and wardrobe, lights and fan and thats it. maybe we can gang up to do some furniture shopping. can get mass discounts! LOL... just a thought..... biggrin.gif hahahaha

btw, my fren say ikea's wooden furniture no good. they are using chip wood so things get crack and broken very fast with our malaysian style. can anyone confirm this? thinking of getting my kitchen cabinet done by them... after my fren said this... kinda scared... does anyone of u have experience with ikea's furniture?
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Jan 15 2007, 12:30 AM

Enthusiast

chloelew...hows da plaster ceiling cost? how big is da area?
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 15 2007, 09:17 AM

Mr.Dependable

adrianocy, it cost me bout RM4k (ceiling+wiring+paint+install lights & fan).total size is bout 20'X18' (2 portions).
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Jan 15 2007, 10:54 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(chloelew @ Jan 10 2007, 11:22 AM)
i just did the grill to my house. not those normal grill... its reinforced. thicker metal pieces and its not joined by welding. some places are.. but mostly the bars are all slide into each other. those normal ones... use car jack can pry open...this is safer but cost more... but wut the heck safety comes first...
Just so everyone knows there are typically 3 types of grilles for homes:-

Steel RM8 to RM10 psq
Wrought Iron RM16 to RM25 psq. depending on design
Stainless Steel RM 40 and above psq. moneyflies.gif

Steel grilles are what you'll find in most homes and they are hollow so it can be easily cut or pried open using crowbars...

Wrought iron and stainless steel are harder stuff so it's difficult to bend or cut compared to iron grilles. nod.gif

The advantage of stainless steel is also low maintenance and rust resistance. You don't need to repaint every few years. thumbup.gif

There are also other stuff but I won't go there... the price's quoted is only an estimation but essentially stainless steel is the most expensive so mostly I see those in the homes of rich folks whistling.gif
+Quote Post
billytong
post Jan 15 2007, 11:00 AM

Lord Sauron

Let me tell you guys, even a house worth 1.6M still have over 600 defects if you check very cautionly.
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 15 2007, 11:26 AM

Mr.Dependable

ahhhh.... confirm sure have wan la... unless u build the house urself.... even that also sure got defects wan... human error....sure have wan....
+Quote Post
Tien Yun
post Jan 15 2007, 11:52 AM

yea i second to that statement .. human tend to make errors...
anyway chloelew regarding the ikea's kitchen set... i think using chip wood is kind of comman and whether it will be spoilt lies on the user ..
if u want to go for tougher materials u can go for solid wood ..
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 15 2007, 12:31 PM

Mr.Dependable

the design fella say ikea cabinet got 10years warranty. how sure am i on this statement i dunno. have to ask further on this....they have a wide sellection of woods.... u on budget, chip wood lo... u got $$$ solid wood lo.... price variance between RM6k-8k. installation charges is bout RM1k already for kitchen cabinet. transport charges is RM65 (i thought it was free!)oh well.... it all balls down to budget....
+Quote Post
billytong
post Jan 16 2007, 12:44 PM

Lord Sauron

QUOTE(chloelew @ Jan 15 2007, 11:26 AM)
ahhhh.... confirm sure have wan la... unless u build the house urself.... even that also sure got defects wan... human error....sure have wan....
A 1.6M house with a QA of 300-400K house? Something wrong with the developer.
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 17 2007, 12:47 PM

Mr.Dependable

also rememeber to check how many years of warranty left.... usually if new house, nobody stay b4... got time la... but still check on the warranty status. u dont wan to be caught off guard if something happens like leaks etc....
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Jan 18 2007, 01:09 PM

Cat Exterminator

Bad news no more photo updates from me... lost my camera and all the photos on Tuesday... cry.gif

Some thief broke into my car and stole my camera; I went out on Tuesday to take some pictures of the house then went to 1Utama for dinner. Barely a half hour after parking my car, it was broken into and my camera stolen cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

Oh gawd I feel so crappy right now.

user posted image

They smashed the rear window then took my camera which I hid under the passenger seat, I left it behind because I tot it would be safe from snatch thieves.

Incidentally several other cars are broken into that day besides mine. Is there no where safe these days?? vmad.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Jan 18 2007, 01:10 PM
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Jan 23 2007, 12:00 PM

Enthusiast

is dat a kembara or CRV?
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Jan 26 2007, 03:04 PM

Mr.Dependable

guys.. also wanna let u guys know, if detected termites... go straight to the baiting system. 3 methods are available, spray, drill and baiting. baiting system is the latest now.... cost abit more.... but at least its more promising than the spraying technique and more neat than the drilling method. pricing is bout RM2.5k-3k. 1 year free maintanence period.

problem la this termite problem.... knn sad.gif

bw, my house finish the paint n the ceiling ade.... planning to move in kitchen cabinets and wardrobe but scared become termite food. better settle the issue first.
+Quote Post
leenux
post Jan 26 2007, 07:02 PM

Casual

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Jan 18 2007, 01:09 PM)
Bad news no more photo updates from me... lost my camera and all the photos on Tuesday...  cry.gif

Some thief broke into my car and stole my camera; I went out on Tuesday to take some pictures of the house then went to 1Utama for dinner. Barely a half hour after parking my car, it was broken into and my camera stolen  cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

Oh gawd I feel so crappy right now.

user posted image

They smashed the rear window then took my camera which I hid under the passenger seat, I left it behind because I tot it would be safe from snatch thieves.

Incidentally several other cars are broken into that day besides mine. Is there no where safe these days?? vmad.gif
sad to hear that.. i can feel your loss. during puasa month, i parked in sg wang about buka puasa time for dinner with my fren. went bk to car and found pieces of glass around one side of my car. feared the worst - cos i left my bag with books inside and some pc stuffs. hope the thieves got smarter after reading 'how to zen up your life' while trying to BT without an installer cd. brows.gif

guard with motorcyle came after seeing me and when i asked 'mana u?'. he said 'semua buka puasa'. i diam diam after that.. no i c. doh.gif

back to topic, thanks.. your thread helped when my family checked out our new place. lucikly not much defect to report. cool.gif
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Jan 31 2007, 04:49 PM

If u guys don't mind, i want to Bump this informative thread to front..

haha... getting my new hse soon..... i'm ready with your method of rectification of house defect...
+Quote Post
chloelew
post Feb 12 2007, 10:46 AM

Mr.Dependable

storm,where ur house?
+Quote Post
suiteng
post Feb 13 2007, 05:12 PM

Hopeless President

Wow.. nice guide. Last time when I move in VP that time there's a large crack on the wall (near the ceiling) and there are *craps* on the floor. Damit.. why can't they just find a toilet!

It's all fixed up now. I wonder how they will react when I paste there "Remove crap". Hmm...

Added on February 13, 2007, 5:14 pmP/S: Perhaps this should go under the property subforum. Hmm..

This post has been edited by suiteng: Feb 13 2007, 05:14 PM
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Feb 13 2007, 05:19 PM

Enthusiast

yes..i agree...MOD, pls move to property talk forum, thanks
+Quote Post
kelvio
post Feb 14 2007, 10:36 AM

old guy

hmm i want to know if the contractor dont do their job properly,can we file a complain and get compensation???
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 14 2007, 11:30 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(kelvio @ Feb 14 2007, 10:36 AM)
hmm i want to know if the contractor dont do their job properly,can we file a complain and get compensation???
Yes you can, rightfully if the defects have been fixed there should be a letter between you and all parties agreeing to that fact... did you sign it? I believe its called joint inspection or something to that effect hmm.gif

If there are disputes better start documenting (take pictures) and build a case.

But there are rules to follow give your developer the time frame specified in your S&P I believe its 1 month for the defects and 2 weeks after that for follow-up work.

Please make sure you communicate everything to your developer in black and white...

After the 1 month and 2 weeks you can start writing to your developer and S&P lawyers (stake holders) to inform them that you intend to fix the defects yourself per the provisions in the S&P agreement for non-compliance of the defect rectification and attach a repair quote from a contractor specifying the repair costs.

Don't be afraid to complain and make noise, you paid hard earned money so you should demand nothing less than a perfect house thumbup.gif

edit: Sorry if I've left you hanging... its best you follow-up with your stake holder and developer and then decide on what to do after their feedback nod.gif

There is a provision in you S&P that allow the developer another 30 days to make good on the defects but I'm not a legal eagle... I'm unsure if you can just hire your own contractor during the additional 1 month period or after sweat.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Feb 14 2007, 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
sirxl
post Feb 15 2007, 02:14 AM

On my way

good guide. thanks...Now Im gonna fans, lights, bathroom fittings and fan. Where to find cheap good ones ? Its for my condo to rent out in Subang.
+Quote Post
??!!
post Feb 15 2007, 12:19 PM

Regular

QUOTE(kelvio @ Feb 14 2007, 10:36 AM)
If property bought from developer, the developer is obliged to make good the defects. You deal with the developer, not their contractors., as you have not contractual dealing with the contractors. The contractors are agents of the deveoper.

Inform the developer of the defects. If defects rectifications are not done in reasonable time, put them on notice that you will get your own contractors to do the rectifications if defects are still not attended to after expiry of the notice period. Enclose the quotes from your own contractors.
+Quote Post
KeNNy
post Feb 18 2007, 10:44 PM

Hello

aaronpang,

This guide is very useful. Although most of it seems like common sense, I like the elaboration of the details rocks.

You must have quite some experience with RE. By the way, what do you do with developers who don't do a good fix?

ie. You ask them to repair, and although they've done some work they still do a below average job.

The most common incident here is marble re-polishing.

This post has been edited by KeNNy: Feb 18 2007, 10:45 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 19 2007, 12:18 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(KeNNy @ Feb 18 2007, 10:44 PM)
aaronpang,

This guide is very useful. Although most of it seems like common sense, I like the elaboration of the details rocks.

You must have quite some experience with RE. By the way, what do you do with developers who don't do a good fix?
Hi KeNNy,

Thanks! If you disagree with the shoddy work quality done by the developer don't sign off on the joint inspection form... because it will let the developer off the hook. rolleyes.gif

Follow the steps above (Post 54) and inform the stakeholder regarding your unresolved issues and get your own contractor to do the work to your satisfaction. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(KeNNy @ Feb 18 2007, 10:44 PM)
ie. You ask them to repair, and although they've done some work they still do a below average job.

The most common incident here is marble re-polishing.
I'll be honest the word defect is used loosely and can be subjective in some cases.

For example if you don't like the manner in which the plaster is applied to your walls either it's wavy or lumpy but to the developer some level degree of error is acceptable.

It's the same with polishing of marble floors... shakehead.gif

However there are no clear definitions on what are the allowable/acceptable margins of error before it becomes a defect.
+Quote Post
zeist
post Feb 19 2007, 12:29 AM

Mr. Satria

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 23 2006, 01:14 AM)
2) Tiles & Floor
The Tiles & Floor include kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, floor tiles and cornices.

Tiles - Missing/Cracked/Chipped/Slanting

Missing and damaged Tiles & Floor are easy to spot for defects. However it's not easy to check for hollow tiles which are due too little plaster underneath.

The danger is the tiles can come off or crack if not remedied. Tap on tiles and if they sound hollow mark it out as a defect anyway and get the contractor to fix it.

Also make sure that the joints between the tiles are properly filled in with plaster. If you notice deep gaps make sure they fill it in.

Gaps in the Wall Skirting
user posted image

Not many other defects on the tiles everything is fine as far as I can tell!

3) Doors & Windows

Doors and Windows are fairly easy to check. Ensure that doors and windows easily open and unobstructed. Check for shoddy workmanship like missing screws, damage and rust.

Also ensure that everything is properly installed and there are no large gaps between the door and window frames. It's also a good time to check for water damage since windows not properly installed will leak during heavy downpour.

Check also that rubber seals for the windows are intact.

Check the developer's inventory list for missing fixtures and accessories. You'll usually get a list of items that come with your home such as the number of electrical points, taps, sink, shower heads and etc.

Check the list thoroughly and make sure nothing is missing!

BEFORE:

user posted image

AFTER:

user posted image

Yup the sink was missing tongue.gif so was the wiring, seems some gawd damn thief carted away those items from our finished unit.

5) Leaking Pipes

Leaking Pipes are also easy to detect, check the exposed piping for leaks or walls where the pipes run through for water stains.

Query the developer on where the pipes in your unit are; in future it will help to prevent accidents due to accidental nailing or drilling. You don't want to hang a picture frame and puncture a pipe all in one go. tongue.gif

I'll end it here, I'll start inspecting more of the unit tomorrow and post extra pictures once I'm done.

Feel free to comment and suggestions/improvements are welcomed!

....More to come pictures being cropped and uploaded nod.gif
Nice stuff, thanks for sharing. thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Feb 27 2007, 05:04 PM

Shall we get the key first then only list out the defect to them.. or we should avoid getting the key before the defect fixed??
+Quote Post
??!!
post Feb 27 2007, 05:24 PM

Regular

QUOTE(stormchaser @ Feb 27 2007, 05:04 PM)
Shall we get the key first then only list out the defect to them.. or we should avoid getting the key before the defect fixed??
Actually, legal possession would have taken place when the notice to take possession is issued, notwithstanding whether purchasers take physical possession or not.

If dont take key, how are you gonna check on the property and file a list of the defects, leh?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 28 2007, 10:26 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(stormchaser @ Feb 27 2007, 05:04 PM)
??!! is right take the key first...

Usually the developer's representative will make an appointment to show you around the house, whilst you're there with the rep remember to ask for the defect rectification form.

Also there will be an inventory checklist that the representative will ask you to sign. In that form there will be a list of things such as the number of taps, electricity socket, kitchen sink, etc.

Go through the inventory list with the rep. and make sure everything is present, installed and accounted for in the house before signing the inventory list.

BTW if your unit is a house with gates bring along a few good padlocks (2 should suffice) so you can lock the front and back gate!

Also when you submit the defect list, the developer will ask you for a set of the house keys so the contractor can enter and fix the defects. I know most folks don't like to give away house keys but you can change the locks later and install metal grilles with additional padlocks.

Go spot check and visit your house regularly during this period.

Good luck and show lah some pics of your new house nod.gif
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Mar 6 2007, 04:07 PM

Enthusiast

MOD...can u move this into property talk sub-forum?? thanks
+Quote Post
steven437
post Mar 6 2007, 04:49 PM

I'm crazy, do you?

I was wondering is Ikhlas developer ok tongue.gif was thinking to get a unit at bayan ikhlas at serdang tongue.gif

any comment on that area arr??
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Mar 7 2007, 03:05 PM

Enthusiast

is there anybody has a complaint template to send to developer as the 1st Defect works period has lapsed after 30 days. now already 2 weeks late from the agreed 30 days
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Mar 7 2007, 04:46 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(adrianocy @ Mar 7 2007, 03:05 PM)
is there anybody has a complaint template to send to developer as the 1st Defect works period has lapsed after 30 days. now already 2 weeks late from the agreed 30 days
I don't think there is a template however you can write to your stakeholders requesting to withold releasing the final 2.5% stake to the developer.

This should get the developers attention... I'll try to draft one for you if it will help!

No promises but hopefully if I've got the time...
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Mar 7 2007, 04:48 PM

Enthusiast

thanks aaron...appreciate ur help
+Quote Post
billytong
post Mar 7 2007, 05:59 PM

Lord Sauron

QUOTE(adrianocy @ Mar 7 2007, 03:05 PM)

draft a formal letter or a ask your lawyer to write for you

The letter should indicates CLEARLY that the contractor has FAIL to fix your defects. Tell them your intention to fix the remaining defects with your own contractor after 14 days from this letter issued & will claim the cost from the stakeholder fund. tongue.gif

Normally after the letter you will see a few more Indons come to fix your house. brows.gif It is because it is always cheaper for the developer's contractor fix ur house than your own. biggrin.gif After all they do not want you to claim that fund with your expensive contractor.

This post has been edited by billytong: Mar 7 2007, 06:00 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Mar 7 2007, 11:02 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(adrianocy @ Mar 7 2007, 04:48 PM)
thanks aaron...appreciate ur help
Hi adrianocy billytong is right just write a simple letter and threaten to fix it yourself. If ever the developer decides not to make good on the defects you can go ahead and get it fixed yourself.

You can find the sample letter I've promised here... I hope it helps!

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Mar 7 2007, 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Mar 8 2007, 09:39 AM

Enthusiast

Thanks again Aaron & Billy. Both of u reli care.
+Quote Post
??!!
post Mar 8 2007, 03:58 PM

Regular

When developer has failed to attend to your defects within the stipulated time, purchaser has to put the developer on notice that you will carry out the works yourself if they fail to do so within another 14 days' grace You also have to include a quote of how much it will cost you. Ensure that this step is adhered to. I believe this is a proviso stipulated in the Act.

While taking this step, pl make sure that you have actually spoken to the developer and not their contractor. In practice, there's no reason for developer not to attend to defects rectifications. This is becoz, the contract amount paid to contractors includes defects warranty to match the period stipulated under the SPA. Many unhappy episodes happen becoz sometimes, purchasers complain to contractor (usually the sub-sub contractor's men) they see on site...and ended up with some merry-go-round finger pointing and unattended defects,

This post has been edited by ??!!: Mar 8 2007, 03:58 PM
+Quote Post
ashburn98
post Mar 9 2007, 08:12 AM

Runaway train

Stumbled upon this thread. Very helpful.
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Mar 28 2007, 03:43 PM

Enthusiast

last weekend i joint inspection wit the developer and da contractor, they miss out so many defects dint do. doh.gif
ends up need to fill in da defects form again.
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Mar 28 2007, 04:37 PM

My defective list of 80 over items is fixed in 3 days.. i went to check myself lar... but they haven't call me to do inspection yet.. ahh... waiting waiting.. now have to wait for electricity..

Added:

And thanks aaronpang for the tips of rectifying defective in hse. I've done what u've taught...... thanks again..

This post has been edited by stormchaser: Mar 28 2007, 04:45 PM
+Quote Post
jasontmh
post Mar 29 2007, 10:18 AM

Getting Started

Sorry double post

This post has been edited by jasontmh: Mar 29 2007, 04:48 PM
+Quote Post
jasontmh
post Mar 29 2007, 10:21 AM

Getting Started

Ya, this thread very helpful. Not much defect on my house but my brothers' was quite bad. Crack, leak, patches etc. I've attached the pic rclxms.gif Can't wait to move in...

This post has been edited by jasontmh: Mar 29 2007, 04:50 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Mar 29 2007, 12:21 PM

Wow, nice hse, is it some where near anggerik? cheras? from taman connaught to taman bukit anggerik?
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Mar 29 2007, 01:26 PM

Enthusiast

jason. which one is urs and which one is ur bro's?
+Quote Post
jasontmh
post Mar 29 2007, 04:43 PM

Getting Started

Grey color is mine and the other is my brother. My brothers' house seems to have more cracks. Not that mine don't have but less... The houses are not in Kl they are in JB.Grey color is in Setia Indah and the other one is is Austin Perdana.
+Quote Post
kuanhong
post May 23 2007, 04:41 PM

QUOTE(hackwire @ Jan 4 2007, 04:48 PM)
actually my alarm cost for all protection including grill and door cost not more than RM 1800. i add sensors for the roof as well..

i hack it and my house is fully protected with alarm now.at night i can switch on the roof sensor.

it detect movement and body heat.. my advise is to get the 360 degree sensor for the roof ...
mind to PM me the details of the security company that u engaged? is it reliable?
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Jun 8 2007, 03:13 PM

Enthusiast

yes...me 2. pls PM me as well.
+Quote Post
binary
post Sep 10 2007, 02:45 PM

PreBeT_LaPok

finally, this thread pinned thumbup.gif . Big thanks to Mod.
+Quote Post
yewkhuay
post Sep 12 2007, 08:17 PM

I don't even belong here....

topic pinned !!! good job!!!
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Oct 17 2007, 12:42 PM

i agree... this thread should be pinned long ago... kekeke... thanks to this thread, now almost all people on the developer side knows me... submitted hundred over defects item to them... kekeke... btw, it just small items like 5 cents dirt on wall... i asked them to repaint ! kekeke....
+Quote Post
yewkhuay
post Oct 17 2007, 06:17 PM

QUOTE(stormchaser @ Oct 17 2007, 12:42 PM)
i agree... this thread should be pinned long ago... kekeke... thanks to this thread, now almost all people on the developer side knows me... submitted hundred over defects item to them... kekeke... btw, it just small items like 5 cents dirt on wall... i asked them to repaint ! kekeke....
u can submit as much as u can , but they will always left out some undone..... doh.gif
+Quote Post
marchkingdom
post Oct 25 2007, 11:50 PM

wow, this is just in time.

hello everyone! need some advice ..

I've submitted the defect list to the site supervisor, and now I found some more, can I submit again? will it "reset" my submission time? heheh...

ok, seriously, I may not be able to wait for all the defects to fix. If I ask my contractor to start renovation works (but do not affect the defect area, will this void the right that I have? Do I have to wait till the defect fix b4 do reno?
+Quote Post
yewkhuay
post Oct 26 2007, 12:03 AM

u can submit as many list as u can during the warranty period .... the additional list u submit will top up the previous one if they havent completed fixing the previous list....
+Quote Post
redken
post Oct 26 2007, 12:07 AM

- Private Unlimited -

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Oct 25 2007, 11:50 PM)
wow, this is just in time.

hello everyone! need some advice ..

I've submitted the defect list to the site supervisor, and now I found some more, can I submit again? will it "reset" my submission time? heheh...

ok, seriously, I may not be able to wait for all the defects to fix. If I ask my contractor to start renovation works (but do not affect the defect area, will this void the right that I have? Do I have to wait till the defect fix b4 do reno?
Why bother about fixing when u are planning a renovation alrady? Unless it's major, there is no point getting ur cents worth.
+Quote Post
marchkingdom
post Oct 26 2007, 12:21 AM

QUOTE(redken @ Oct 26 2007, 12:07 AM)
Why bother about fixing when u are planning a renovation alrady? Unless it's major, there is no point getting ur cents worth.
err..yeah, some is major. For example, I got a broken sewage pipe between upper floor toilet to ground floor sweat.gif
+Quote Post
redken
post Oct 26 2007, 10:39 AM

- Private Unlimited -

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Oct 26 2007, 12:21 AM)
err..yeah, some is major. For example, I got a broken sewage pipe between upper floor toilet to ground floor  sweat.gif
Try flushing it and see.
+Quote Post
marchkingdom
post Oct 26 2007, 11:51 AM

QUOTE(redken @ Oct 26 2007, 10:39 AM)
Try flushing it and see.
No need to flush, it's very obvious, there's a big hole there. I inspect it coze found the ground floor plaster ceiling got water spot around the monhole. climb open the manhole, found a broken piece of the pipe.

Even though my reno work is nothing to do with the toilet & that ground floor portion, I was concern if they will not fix it becoze I start do reno?

My contractor said probably I can start my reno next week. Shud I hold him?

+Quote Post
redken
post Oct 27 2007, 03:03 PM

- Private Unlimited -

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Oct 26 2007, 11:51 AM)
No need to flush, it's very obvious, there's a big hole there. I inspect it coze found the ground floor plaster ceiling got water spot around the monhole. climb open the manhole, found a broken piece of the pipe.

Even though my reno work is nothing to do with the toilet & that ground floor portion, I was concern if they will not fix it becoze I start do reno?

There arent suppose to be any manholes in your compound. I think the build ur house wrongly. U better ask for construction drawing and check.
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Oct 29 2007, 10:08 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Oct 26 2007, 11:51 AM)

Better to postpone the renovation work until your defects are finished otherwise there will be a blame game if anything gets broken or new defects crop up.

Also renovation will probably void your DLP and there will be finger-pointing between your contractor and the developer especially if surrounding parts of your house near the renovated area developes new defects or damage.
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Nov 9 2007, 10:45 AM

Yatta!

Thanks again aaronpang for the thread.

Just got my house handover and OMG, the workmanship is very bad. #%%$^^ developer nowadays.

Anyway, just want to ask what bad thing can happen for a hollow wall tiles. Just want to prepare myself to retort the stupid so called 'site manager' who give thousand and one excuses to repair when I meet him the first time.
+Quote Post
scorgio
post Nov 9 2007, 11:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(X-Zen @ Nov 9 2007, 10:45 AM)
Thanks again aaronpang for the thread.

Just got my house handover and OMG, the workmanship is very bad. #%%$^^ developer nowadays.

Anyway, just want to ask what bad thing can happen for a hollow wall tiles. Just want to prepare myself to retort the stupid so called 'site manager' who give thousand and one excuses to repair when I meet him the first time.
Construction material price went up.
Contractor employ un-skilled indon workers.
Inspection level not up to standard.
= Bad workmanship & finishing.

As for hollow wall tiles. It will crack when got hit at the hollow part.
Some might fall if the cement can't hold on to it.
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Nov 9 2007, 02:03 PM

Yatta!

QUOTE(scorgio @ Nov 9 2007, 11:54 AM)
Construction material price went up.
Contractor employ un-skilled indon workers.
Inspection level not up to standard.
= Bad workmanship & finishing.

As for hollow wall tiles. It will crack when got hit at the hollow part.
Some might fall if the cement can't hold on to it.
Yah you are right.

In a way it really make me think am I really picky and harping on small things or I really should ask for what was promised. I paid 300K for it but the site manager keep telling me that it is small problem only doh.gif

Anyway I realised my house got less power socket than what the S&P mentioned. Shall I ask for rectification or compensation?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Nov 9 2007, 07:20 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(X-Zen @ Nov 9 2007, 02:03 PM)

In a way it really make me think am I really picky and harping on small things or I really should ask for what was promised. I paid 300K for it but the site manager keep telling me that it is small problem only  doh.gif

Tell him if its such a small problem it should be not much trouble for him to fix it... vmad.gif

BTW dun waste your time talking to the site manager just submit the defect form and demand they fix it to your satisfaction.

Otherwise refer to here on the subject of stakeholders http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/423171 thumbup.gif

QUOTE(X-Zen @ Nov 9 2007, 02:03 PM)
Anyway I realised my house got less power socket than what the S&P mentioned. Shall I ask for rectification or compensation?
To me it's a defect and needs to be rectified by the developer at their cost hmm.gif

Compensation I'm really unsure what amount/quantum of money developers should pay for missing sockets...

Furthermore I don't think developers are obligated to pay, they're only contractually bound to fix defects... failing to fix the defect you can fix the defect yourself and deduct the difference from the stakeholders sum.
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Nov 12 2007, 06:49 PM

Yatta!

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Nov 9 2007, 07:20 PM)
Tell him if its such a small problem it should be not much trouble for him to fix it...  vmad.gif

BTW dun waste your time talking to the site manager just submit the defect form and demand they fix it to your satisfaction.

Otherwise refer to here on the subject of stakeholders http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/423171  thumbup.gif
To me it's a defect and needs to be rectified by the developer at their cost  hmm.gif

Compensation I'm really unsure what amount/quantum of money developers should pay for missing sockets...

Furthermore I don't think developers are obligated to pay, they're only contractually bound to fix defects... failing to fix the defect you can fix the defect yourself and deduct the difference from the stakeholders sum.
Ya i am preparing the defect list now, approaching number 40 doh.gif

Going to submit directly to the developer

I am going to ask them to fix.

The thing is I tried to befriend some of my future neighbour and band together for a greater voice against the developer but some of them like really don't care like that haha

too much money i guess

no wonder the developer treat us like sucker.

To all new house buyer out there, don't be shy to demand what is yours.

+Quote Post
ProX
post Nov 28 2007, 07:24 PM

Casual

I bought myself a house and it is going to be completed next year Apr/May. Thanks for the tip. Now i have more knowledge to check for defect.
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Dec 7 2007, 10:28 AM

Yatta!

Update - Developer is rectifying the house now after I wrote to them officially.

One of my new neighbour update me that the developer did put waterproof material below the upstairs bathrooms structure. I think they just spray some chemical.

So when my neighbour deliberately fill up the bathroom with water and cover the flow, the next day can see the ceiling below has significant water mark

Seriously, this is bugging me a lot.

Help - Anyone has experienced on this matter? Can this be consider a defect?

+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Dec 7 2007, 11:31 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(X-Zen @ Dec 7 2007, 10:28 AM)
Update - Developer is rectifying the house now after I wrote to them officially.

One of my new neighbour update me that the developer did put waterproof material below the upstairs bathrooms structure. I think they just spray some chemical.

So when my neighbour deliberately fill up the bathroom with water and cover the flow, the next day can see the ceiling below has significant water mark

Seriously, this is bugging me a lot.

Help - Anyone has experienced on this matter? Can this be consider a defect?
Your neighbour did good by performing a leak test to check for leaks... document it and inform the developer to get it fixed...

You should do the same thing too for your unit too because if the neighbour below you also complain after the DLP it's your unit that's leaking.

You're expected to do the honourable thing and fix it with your own money doh.gif moneyflies.gif
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Dec 7 2007, 11:42 AM

Yatta!

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 7 2007, 11:31 AM)
Your neighbour did good by performing a leak test to check for leaks... document it and inform the developer to get it fixed...

You should do the same thing too for your unit too because if the neighbour below you also complain after the DLP it's your unit that's leaking.

You're expected to do the honourable thing and fix it with your own money  doh.gif moneyflies.gif
Thanks aaronpang - will do.

Seriously buying house really a lot of work
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Dec 16 2007, 06:44 PM

Yatta!

Is cheap thin paint / unmatch paint job a defect?
+Quote Post
adrianocy
post Dec 17 2007, 11:47 PM

Enthusiast

yes. ask them repaint
+Quote Post
IceQTurbo
post Dec 31 2007, 01:36 PM

Getting Started

Anyone know any painter which is reliable n not so expensive on the labour charges??
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Jan 1 2008, 02:05 AM

Yatta!

aiyoh my house give me problem again.

really lousy la this developer

Now the wall cracked.

Told developer and they just plaster some white stuff (cement???) over the cracks?

Is this the proper way? What other way they should rectify the problem? Thanks
+Quote Post
b00n
post Jan 2 2008, 04:54 PM

delusional
Group Icon
Group: Staff

QUOTE(X-Zen @ Jan 1 2008, 02:05 AM)

Now the wall cracked.

Told developer and they just plaster some white stuff (cement???) over the cracks?

That's the only way they can do it unless you want them to knock down the wall and rebuilt the wall.
If not, they're just plaster it filling the gaps and all.

+Quote Post
??!!
post Jan 10 2008, 10:21 PM

Regular

Now the wall cracked.

You have picture to show?

If it is hair-line crack, then it's nothing serious structure wise ie...albeit it looks horrible.
Depending on the size of the cracks, usually a new coat of paint will kau-tim them

If it's a stuctural crack, then demand that the consultant engineer take a look and give you the
all clear after the rectification.

+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Jan 11 2008, 11:28 PM

Yatta!

QUOTE(??!! @ Jan 10 2008, 10:21 PM)
You have picture to show?

If it is hair-line crack,  then it's nothing serious structure wise ie...albeit it looks horrible.
Depending on the size of the cracks, usually a new coat of paint will kau-tim them

If it's a stuctural crack, then demand that the consultant engineer take a look and give you the
all clear after the rectification.
Let me try to snap some pics
+Quote Post
wanfumi
post Jan 31 2008, 04:50 PM

I would like to know if I can make a complaint to the developer regarding the design of the roof. The roof dont have a proper rain water piping and causing the rain water to fall directly to the ground instead to longkang. This causing a very bad erosion to the ground just beside the drain.

Clearly this is a design flaw but can i ask them to built a proper piping?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 4 2008, 01:17 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(wanfumi @ Jan 31 2008, 04:50 PM)
I would like to know if I can make a complaint to the developer regarding the design of the roof. The roof dont have a proper rain water piping and causing the rain water to fall directly to the ground instead to longkang. This causing a very bad erosion to the ground just beside the drain.

Is this a house or condo? Sorry I can't tell from the picture...

If its a condo complain to the condo management corp... citing erosion and common area property damage.

If its a house I'm not familiar with drainage and irrigation laws... so its difficult to comment.

Does your neighbour have a similar design... if they have a culvert and you don't complain to the developer.

If all the houses don't have culverts and you're under DLP is doesn't hurt to complain altho I'm unsure if the developer will act on it.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Feb 4 2008, 01:19 PM
+Quote Post
myhat
post Feb 18 2008, 08:50 AM

Enthusiast

if only u guys so bz and dun have time to do inspection...
plus dun want to waste time encountering different problem at different time, especially when u've done with all the renovation and suddenly problem occurs....
get an experts surveyor to do for you....

can PM me if need to contact one...

still....
this topic is really worth...
thanks to all the contributors...
your guidance is much appreciated
+Quote Post
crazyconsumer
post Feb 26 2008, 09:08 AM

Big Spender

To TS, maybe it's better to use post-it paper to show defects instead of masking tape. Because tearing off the tape, may cause paint damage or stains.
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 26 2008, 11:40 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(crazyconsumer @ Feb 26 2008, 09:08 AM)
To TS, maybe it's better to use post-it paper to show defects instead of masking tape. Because tearing off the tape, may cause paint damage or stains.
Hi crazyconsumer,

Thanks for reading and posting a good suggestion... Are you performing a DLP inspection if you are do share your experience? hmm.gif

I did use post-it notes initially but those kept falling off sweat.gif esp. if used outside the house.

Anyway the developer still had to repaint the area after fixing any defects... I won't sign-off if they didn't nod.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Feb 26 2008, 11:45 AM
+Quote Post
stormchaser
post Mar 4 2008, 02:25 PM

I have a question. Let say u own a unit in a condo at the highest floor. The ceiling is made in those conventional fibre/wood. If there's leaking on the roof top, who should responsible?
+Quote Post
cheefai7
post Mar 6 2008, 12:18 PM

Casual

QUOTE(wanfumi @ Jan 31 2008, 04:50 PM)

I am having the same problem with this one also for my double storey house. Do I really have to fork out money to fix this or can refer this to developer as a defect?
+Quote Post
mamba
post Mar 12 2008, 07:33 PM

Casual

wow!good thread! smile.gif
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Mar 13 2008, 03:58 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(cheefai7 @ Mar 6 2008, 12:18 PM)
I am having the same problem with this one also for my double storey house. Do I really have to fork out money to fix this or can refer this to developer as a defect?
My suggestion is put it down in your defect list and see if your developer will willing remedy hmm.gif

If they won't do it, demand a written explenation why?

After which if the developers reply is not to your satisfaction you could try using the stakeholders sum to rectify your erosion problem tongue.gif

Witholding Stakeholders Sum
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=423171&hl=

I don't guarantee any of these measures will work but do give it a try... any other forum members with better ideas or advice please help?? icon_question.gif

QUOTE(mamba @ Mar 12 2008, 07:33 PM)
wow!good thread! smile.gif
Thanks mate...

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Mar 13 2008, 04:10 PM
+Quote Post
cheefai7
post Mar 16 2008, 09:52 AM

Casual

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Mar 13 2008, 03:58 PM)
My suggestion is put it down in your defect list and see if your developer will willing remedy hmm.gif

If they won't do it, demand a written explenation why?

After which if the developers reply is not to your satisfaction you could try using the stakeholders sum to rectify your erosion problem  tongue.gif

Witholding Stakeholders Sum
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=423171&hl=

I don't guarantee any of these measures will work but do give it a try... any other forum members with better ideas or advice please help??  icon_question.gif
Thanks mate...
Har...you think i can do so? Cuz none of the other houses have such piping too. I can also demand for this kind of non-standard request?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Mar 17 2008, 10:06 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(cheefai7 @ Mar 16 2008, 09:52 AM)
Har...you think i can do so? Cuz none of the other houses have such piping too. I can also demand for this kind of non-standard request?
Honestly I don't know for sure, do try and let us know how the developer responds.

I've read some developers do heed their buyers grouses and attempt to fix such drainage problems... albeit in a half hearted manner shakehead.gif

See here http://www.realestate.net.my/forum/archive...-vp-1505_75.htm

Read the post "Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:17 pm"

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Mar 17 2008, 10:06 AM
+Quote Post
gunh
post Mar 23 2008, 06:05 PM

Casual

roof surrounding should have gutter and at the end of the gutter have a down pipe to the scupper drain...

QUOTE(cheefai7 @ Mar 6 2008, 12:18 PM)
+Quote Post
coolie
post Mar 29 2008, 10:55 PM

Casual

Also remember, do not let them do any other part of your house except the part where they're supposed to do. If they don't like you, you'll be in deep trouble with "fengshui".

You may not believe it but having a fork or knife hanging from your roof tied pointing down to where you're sleeping, it gives extreme bad effect even if you're not a believer. You won't see it since it's behind the ceiling. There are also other stuffs but ... all i can just tell you is becareful while purchasing a house from owner and when repairing your house. Don't be too fussy as the contractor can change your house environment with little alteration without you realizing it.
+Quote Post
yewkhuay
post Apr 27 2008, 08:04 PM

if just after the 18months waranty period n found crack on the wall, can we still claim from the developer?
+Quote Post
vin_ann
post May 19 2008, 03:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

i thinks shd be very hard to claim after over 18 months.

btw, FYI, S P Setia is giving 36 months warranty.
+Quote Post
realproperty
post May 29 2008, 12:55 AM

Getting Started

Selling Your Home - How to Review an Offer

If you have ever sold a home before, you know there is a lot more to an offer to purchase than merely the price the buyer is willing to pay. Other important factors that must be weighed carefully include a suitable closing date, financing, conditions and items which are to be included in the sale. It is a good idea to discuss all of these points with your real estate agent.

Click here for full article . Thank you. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
aiskacang
post May 29 2008, 12:22 PM

QUOTE(realproperty @ May 29 2008, 12:55 AM)

If you have ever sold a home before, you know there is a lot more to an offer to purchase than merely the price the buyer is willing to pay. Other important factors that must be weighed carefully include a suitable closing date, financing, conditions and items which are to be included in the sale. It is a good idea to discuss all of these points with your real estate agent.

Hi realproperty,

Thanks for this good website..It really helps me.... thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
copwits
post May 30 2008, 03:30 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 21 2006, 10:42 PM)
I) Marker Pen & Masking Tape

Use the Marker Pen and Masking Tape to mark out areas of concern so that contractors doing rectification work can easily spot trouble areas.

It helps because it's mystifying to figure out where the defects are from the description on the defect list to an actual flaw on the house.

You can also scribble notes and express your displeasure on the masking tape so there is no miscommunication. smile.gif Did u experience such thing after the developer repaired your defects i.e. stain left behind by your masking tape ??
That looks like a great idea. At least the developer would know where to search.

However I have some concern. Sorry if this sounds sorta pedantic, but would the masking tape leave any marks/residue once we or the contractor peel it off ? If yes, then we would have an extra cleaning work to do.. how leh? sad.gif Did you experience such markings after the repair is done ?

Btw, thanks for all your tips. It is very useful and informative. I am going to survey my own house soon and have prepared all the "ingredients" as you have mentioned. Hehe!

This post has been edited by copwits: May 30 2008, 03:31 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post May 30 2008, 04:26 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(copwits @ May 30 2008, 03:30 PM)
That looks like a great idea. At least the developer would know where to search.

However I have some concern. Sorry if this sounds sorta pedantic, but would the masking tape leave any marks/residue once we or the contractor peel it off ? If yes, then we would have an extra cleaning work to do.. how leh? sad.gif Did you experience such markings after the repair is done ?

Btw, thanks for all your tips. It is very useful and informative. I am going to survey my own house soon and have prepared all the "ingredients" as you have mentioned. Hehe!
Tiles are immune to masking tape... and I didn't have any problems peeling tape from painted surfaces.

The masking tape didn't leave any residue or paint flaking... maybe coz I choose the cheapo tape laugh.gif

Since the walls have cracks/damage the developer needs to remove the tape before starting repairs and repaint afterwards anyway.

Without any problems afterwards and the workman who did the repairs didn't complain.

If you're unsure about masking tape you could always try alternatives like PostIT notes for example. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: May 30 2008, 04:55 PM
+Quote Post
harrychoo
post Jul 21 2008, 02:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Can i know if condo/apartment that found water leaking problem from upstair unit, do we have the rights to ask the owner to repair it?

Or they have the rights to decide repair or not to repair despite it affecting the unit below them?

And who will pay the repair cost?

Thanks
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Jul 22 2008, 07:46 PM

Cat Exterminator

If the unit is under DLP write to the developer to fix it.

Otherwise report to the Management Company (MC) first and ask them to check for the source of the leak. If the source is from common property then it's the MC that needs to fix it.

But if the source of the leak is from the upstairs unit internal pipes (get black and white letter from the MC) then ask the owner of the offending unit fix nod.gif The cost of repairs is borne by the offending units owner.

Or if you're feeling generous you could offer to share 50:50 tongue.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Jul 22 2008, 07:49 PM
+Quote Post
MayWong
post Sep 4 2008, 03:27 PM

thanks for these tips.. really useful..
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Sep 11 2008, 06:18 PM

Yatta!

QUOTE(copwits @ May 30 2008, 03:30 PM)

used aaron pang idea.

no such problem rclxms.gif
+Quote Post
zacevox
post Nov 1 2008, 06:31 PM

voice of expression

is the vacant posession only start when the developer handle the keys to you?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Nov 3 2008, 10:25 AM

Cat Exterminator

Doesn't matter if the owner collects the keys now or 2 months later once the developer issues a letter informing to take vacant possession of the property the clock starts ticking.

There is a 14 days expiry from the notice for the owner to take VP or it's automatically deemed to have taken vacant possession.
+Quote Post
li_ping
post Nov 10 2008, 06:29 PM

The Lover

QUOTE(jasontmh @ Mar 29 2007, 04:43 PM)
Grey color is mine and the other is my brother. My brothers' house seems to have more cracks. Not that mine don't have but less... The houses are not in Kl they are in JB.Grey color is in Setia Indah and the other one is is Austin Perdana.
Wow very nice ler too bad it's not in KL
aaronpang: how are your house's defects now? rectified?
+Quote Post
kimyee73
post Dec 8 2008, 09:53 PM

Enthusiast

Wow, this is really useful. I submitted my 1st defect list a couple of weeks ago, only 18 items as starter. So far the developer corrected only those needing plastering or coat of paint, everything else still not rectified. Now I'm creating my 2nd list and plan to use aaronpang's BKM this time round.
+Quote Post
princess_autumn87
post Jan 1 2009, 11:07 PM

Glamorous diva-Ghetto arse

Dear Aaron,

SALUTE!!! great job. But i wonder are those big developed area as in the big project of thousands houses developer will really do all such repairing for us?

Added on January 1, 2009, 11:09 pm
QUOTE(realproperty @ May 29 2008, 12:55 AM)

tx heaps... great article... thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by princess_autumn87: Jan 1 2009, 11:09 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Jan 2 2009, 11:01 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(kimyee73 @ Dec 8 2008, 09:53 PM)
Wow, this is really useful. I submitted my 1st defect list a couple of weeks ago, only 18 items as starter. So far the developer corrected only those needing plastering or coat of paint, everything else still not rectified. Now I'm creating my 2nd list and plan to use aaronpang's BKM this time round.
Thank you and good luck with your new house thumbup.gif

QUOTE(princess_autumn87 @ Jan 1 2009, 11:07 PM)
Dear Aaron,

SALUTE!!! great job. But i wonder are those big developed area as in the big project of thousands houses developer will really do all such repairing for us?

Added on January 1, 2009, 11:09 pm

tx heaps... great article...  thumbup.gif
Developers are legally bound to honour the DLP otherwise you can repair it yourself and deduct the repair cost from the stakeholders sum.

See Overdue Defect Notice & Witholding Stakeholder Sum, Sample Letters

+Quote Post
princess_autumn87
post Jan 2 2009, 05:38 PM

Glamorous diva-Ghetto arse

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Jan 2 2009, 11:01 AM)
Thank you and good luck with your new house  thumbup.gif
Developers are legally bound to honour the DLP otherwise you can repair it yourself and deduct the repair cost from the stakeholders sum.

See Overdue Defect Notice & Witholding Stakeholder Sum, Sample Letters
great.. i have more then enuf headache from a developer GAMUDA BHD... serious no shit unethical blood sucker!!! mad.gif
+Quote Post
ajie
post Jan 21 2009, 11:02 AM

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Feb 28 2007, 10:26 AM)
??!! is right take the key first...

Usually the developer's representative will make an appointment to show you around the house, whilst you're there with the rep remember to ask for the defect rectification form.

Also there will be an inventory checklist that the representative will ask you to sign. In that form there will be a list of things such as the number of taps, electricity socket, kitchen sink, etc.

Go through the inventory list with the rep. and make sure everything is present, installed and accounted for in the house before signing the inventory list.

BTW if your unit is a house with gates bring along a few good padlocks (2 should suffice) so you can lock the front and back gate!

Also when you submit the defect list, the developer will ask you for a set of the house keys so the contractor can enter and fix the defects. I know most folks don't like to give away house keys but you can change the locks later and install metal grilles with additional padlocks.

Go spot check and visit your house regularly during this period.

Good luck and show lah some pics of your new house nod.gif
Regarding locking the front and back gate after finish the joint inspection, does it means that the developer needs to call us every time they want to fix the defects? If yes, then why bother giving them our house key while we can open the house for them everytime they call us? Mr aaronpang, any comment?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 2 2009, 02:45 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(ajie @ Jan 21 2009, 11:02 AM)
Regarding locking the front and back gate after finish the joint inspection, does it means that the developer needs to call us every time they want to fix the defects? If yes, then why bother giving them our house key while we can open the house for them everytime they call us? Mr aaronpang, any comment?
The passage is self explanatory.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Feb 2 2009, 02:46 PM
+Quote Post
jasondotcom
post Feb 9 2009, 07:51 PM

F**K RACISM

i have this 3 year old new house in my hands for about more than 6 months now. defects were noted in the first day and were listed and sent to developer. rectification works have been done but its still the same. person in charge keeps buying time taking me for a ride saying we will fix it next week. and when the time comes, it will be another "next week".

pestured zillions of times and some works were done. but soon, during the rainy season, the problems came back again and again. its been like half a year gone now coming to a year. leak got worst and stained the ceiling and caused really bad fungus to form all over the walls. this problem is luckily in the first bed room. we had to hv the door closed to prevent smell entering the house.

as time goes by, we kept being taken for a ride by the person in charge. wasted sooo much of my time giving reasons away from work to attend to my problematic house only to find out that the contractor they sent, could not fix the problem in that day as promised by the person in charge. once contacted, we were told that another person will have a look at it and promised to hv it fixed "next week". and the whole farking thing goes over and over again.

today i wasted another whole day of mine going up and down to my house for nothing. and its a working day some more. i now had enough of these games and would like to write an official letter to them. so tell me what shall i do or any template that i could follow. because if nothing is REALLY FIXED ONCE AND FOR ALL, i was thinking of some higher authorities like consumers tribunal or something to make things really big this time.

no more mr. nice guy. i had enough......

guys, please help.......
+Quote Post
ajie
post Feb 11 2009, 05:55 PM

guys.. how to know whether the crack is just the wall plaster or structural?
+Quote Post
gsrc
post Feb 19 2009, 10:39 AM

Casual

Thanks for sharing the tips, very thoughtful.
+Quote Post
ameenskywalker
post Apr 7 2009, 02:38 PM

Casual

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there is a professional property inspection services. One of these are Architech Center(http://www.architectcentre.com.my../services.html). Have anyone tried this kind of service before ?

I did called them and ask how much will cost, they said roughly 1500+5%gst for my type of house (22x75 link house, Setia Alam).
+Quote Post
meejawa
post Apr 12 2009, 11:01 AM

Casual

QUOTE(jasondotcom @ Feb 9 2009, 07:51 PM)
i have this 3 year old new house in my hands for about  more than 6 months now. defects were noted in the first day and were listed and sent to developer. rectification works have been done but its still the same. person in charge keeps buying time taking me for a ride saying we will fix it next week. and when the time comes, it will be another "next week".

pestured zillions of times and some works were done. but soon, during the rainy season, the problems came back again and again. its been like half a year gone now coming to a year. leak got worst and stained the ceiling and caused really bad fungus to form all over the walls. this problem is luckily in the first bed room. we had to hv the door closed to prevent smell entering the house.

as time goes by, we kept being taken for a ride by the person in charge. wasted sooo much of my time giving reasons away from work to attend to my problematic house only to find out that the contractor they sent, could not fix the problem in that day as promised by the person in charge. once contacted, we were told that another person will have a look at it and promised to hv it fixed "next week". and the whole farking thing goes over and over again.

today i wasted another whole day of mine going up and down to my house for nothing. and its a working day some more. i now had enough of these games and would like to write an official letter to them. so tell me what shall i do or any template that i could follow. because if nothing is REALLY FIXED ONCE AND FOR ALL, i was thinking of some higher authorities like consumers tribunal or something to make things really big this time.

no more mr. nice guy. i had enough......

guys, please help.......
Do 2 concurrent things. Send a complaint to the Kementerian (believe me they do read the letters), and cc the developer. Second, go to developer's office and ask to see the manager in charge. Usually the manager will assign a site-manager to manage the rectification, he's the "Dragger". Make a big fuss out of it, tell him you will give them free publicity in forums online. brows.gif

Some may drag you until the warranty period is over, then wash hand. I will personally roll up my sleeve and get even with them in these cases. When they know you're serious, they will do something. ALso, I'm sure this affects not only your unit?

I experienced this from a VERY REPUTABLE developer, but at least they acted quickly. Lessons learned.

+Quote Post
supercop12345
post Jul 17 2009, 05:23 AM

Thanks for sharing, very useful tips..
After reading your post, I realized I never check on the tiles to see if there's any hollow tiles, will do the 3rd inspection this weekend..
First round inspection, i snap photos for the developers without filling up the defects form, made mistake de...I post some here..
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image - How to fix this?
user posted image
user posted image

Second round, filled up the defects forms and send to them..

+Quote Post
shchoy
post Jul 17 2009, 02:20 PM

Getting Started

I agree that the Developer will usually take their time to complete the job.

I will usually get the contractor phone no. who's going to the job,
and then call them time-to-time to check on the progress!

user posted image
www.shchoy.com

This post has been edited by shchoy: Jul 18 2009, 03:00 PM
+Quote Post
DE.si.MON
post Jul 25 2009, 08:24 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Nov 3 2008, 10:25 AM)
Doesn't matter if the owner collects the keys now or 2 months later once the developer issues a letter informing to take vacant possession of the property the clock starts ticking.

There is a 14 days expiry from the notice for the owner to take VP or it's automatically deemed to have taken vacant possession.
Hi, Just wondering if the developer has the right to issues a letter informing to take vacant possession but they actually not even complete the whole unit.

No electrical plug points, No door knob, no basin, big hole on ceiling, and no etc (free items included - aircond, kitchen cabinet, ....).

Does that mean the clock start ticking when is not even completed. Where to file complain? Legal action?
+Quote Post
samquah
post Aug 10 2009, 09:52 PM

On my way

if ceiling not painted nicely, also considered defect?
+Quote Post
Joey Christensen
post Aug 11 2009, 01:13 PM

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

It's referred thereafter as a poor workmanship.

Regards, Joey
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Aug 12 2009, 06:04 PM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(DE.si.MON @ Jul 25 2009, 08:24 PM)
Hi, Just wondering if the developer has the right to issues a letter informing to take vacant possession but they actually not even complete the whole unit.

No electrical plug points, No door knob, no basin, big hole on ceiling, and no etc (free items included - aircond, kitchen cabinet, ....).

Does that mean the clock start ticking when is not even completed. Where to file complain? Legal action?
Usually when taking VP a rep from the developer will meet you at the house to go over the checklist of fixtures etc...

If any are missing complain on the spot and note it down as missing on the checklist.

At the same time you can also include the big holes etc... as a defect and get the developer to fix.

Free things, are those noted in your S&P?

QUOTE(samquah @ Aug 10 2009, 09:52 PM)
if ceiling not painted nicely, also considered defect?
Defect...? Definately yes... make them replace or repaint the ceiling board to your satisfaction...
+Quote Post
Interrupt
post Aug 24 2009, 02:09 AM

First of all, thanks to TS for useful sharing! It helps a lot, especially to me as a first time buyer.

Regarding hollow tiles, the site manager told me it is considered fine if the tile appear hollow at the corners. It's defect if any of the center part of the tile is hollow. He explained that a tile cannot be fully filled up with cement, or else it have no way for contraction when thermal changed which resulting the tiles to "explode". He says tiles should be 80% hollow. Is that true?

Any tips on how to check for uneven tiles? Uneven means a tile appear higher or lower than its neighbor. I expect 2'x2' porcelain tiles should be leveled with each another, as if I slide a 10 cents coin across the tiles, the coin will be able to cross the tiles without feeling anything in between, but they are not for my case. Sometimes I need to lift the coin when next tile is too high.

Thanks in advance for your kind sharing! smile.gif
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Aug 25 2009, 11:09 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Interrupt @ Aug 24 2009, 02:09 AM)
First of all, thanks to TS for useful sharing! It helps a lot, especially to me as a first time buyer.

Regarding hollow tiles, the site manager told me it is considered fine if the tile appear hollow at the corners. It's defect if any of the center part of the tile is hollow. He explained that a tile cannot be fully filled up with cement, or else it have no way for contraction when thermal changed which resulting the tiles to "explode". He says tiles should be 80% hollow. Is that true?

How does the site manager know the particular tile your complains about is properly filled? If the tile in question sounds hollow compared to the surrounding tiles chances are its defective.

Tiles maybe properly filled but can sound hollow because it's become unstuck due to dirty surface or didn't use right grouting mix.

From my experience living in previously rented house bits of floor tile snapped off near the edges because they're hollow.

Exploding tiles sweat.gif Usually occur because tiles are packed too tightly rather than too much grouting. There is a small space between tiles to accommodate expansion. If the tiles are installed too closely they don’t have space to expand and contract with temperature changes thus exploding.

The other complaint is tenting when the tiles start poping up... sweat.gif

QUOTE(Interrupt @ Aug 24 2009, 02:09 AM)
Any tips on how to check for uneven tiles? Uneven means a tile appear higher or lower than its neighbor. I expect 2'x2' porcelain tiles should be leveled with each another, as if I slide a 10 cents coin across the tiles, the coin will be able to cross the tiles without feeling anything in between, but they are not for my case. Sometimes I need to lift the coin when next tile is too high.

Thanks in advance for your kind sharing! smile.gif
I used a spirit level to check you can buy one for about RM15 or so..

user posted image

You can also use the spirit level to check if you have slanted walls... or crooked door frames.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Aug 25 2009, 11:11 AM
+Quote Post
Interrupt
post Aug 26 2009, 03:43 PM

Hi aaronpang,

Thanks again for your kind explanation! rclxms.gif Below I have a few follow up questions:

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Aug 25 2009, 11:09 AM)
Tiles maybe properly filled but can sound hollow because it's become unstuck due to dirty surface or didn't use right grouting mix.
Does this sort of tiles brings any side effect besides sounding hollow?

Sorry I don't really understand this one, would you mind to further elaborate? tongue.gif

user posted image

You can also use the spirit level to check if you have slanted walls... or crooked door frames.
Thanks! Will get one of this today!

Again, thanks a lot for your time answering my questions smile.gif
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Aug 27 2009, 12:26 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Interrupt @ Aug 26 2009, 03:43 PM)
Hi aaronpang,

Thanks again for your kind explanation!  rclxms.gif Below I have a few follow up questions:
Does this sort of tiles brings any side effect besides sounding hollow?
Sorry I don't really understand this one, would you mind to further elaborate?  tongue.gif
Thanks! Will get one of this today!

Again, thanks a lot for your time answering my questions smile.gif
Hollow tiles could crack if they're floor tiles or fall off.

QUOTE(Interrupt @ Aug 26 2009, 03:43 PM)

Sorry I don't really understand this one, would you mind to further elaborate?  tongue.gif
Tenting is when tiles bulge or pop out...

user posted image
+Quote Post
DarReNz
post Sep 18 2009, 05:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Popping floors make condo owners hopping mad
Hazlan Zakaria
Sep 18, 09
12:33pm

For Priya Satiaceelan and Chan Kok Hong, owning their respective service apartments in Puchong's prestigious The Heron Residency was a dream come true.

But their dream turned into a nightmare when tiles literally popped out of the flooring turning the once smoothly polished surfaces into a collection of jagged cracks and uneven see-saws barely 18 months after building was completed.

Priya 28, said that she received a call from her tenants on the morning of Aug 29 telling her that the floor of her unit was "popping up like a volcano."
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

http://malaysiakini.com/news/113181

This post has been edited by DarReNz: Sep 18 2009, 05:37 PM
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Nov 17 2009, 11:28 AM

Casual

Hi ! Can I ask the developer to rectify the defect even before key handover ?
+Quote Post
chamcham
post Nov 24 2009, 03:42 PM

Getting Started

First of all, thank you for this great forum. It is very helpful to me.
Developer used to make us new home buyer suffer with all the defects and part of us the "TIDAK APA" attitude.

I'll be doing my DIY new home inspection this week. Will post as soon as I've done capturing defects. :) Though, I hope not much defects.

Thank you everyone for the great contributions.
+Quote Post
chamcham
post Dec 4 2009, 01:42 PM

Getting Started

Not much defect except some major roof leaks and crack lines on certain rooms.
Very obvious hole on the cornice in bathroom. How can they missed this?? This is new house in BK.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mwchong
post Dec 7 2009, 03:13 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Aug 27 2009, 12:26 AM)
Hollow tiles could crack if they're floor tiles or fall off.
Tenting is when tiles bulge or pop out...

user posted image
Huh tat is nasty man, sad.gif Hope u get it repair soon.

Maintaining a house was never a easy job
+Quote Post
Awakened_Angel
post Dec 11 2009, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Aug 25 2009, 12:09 PM)

user posted image

it wont be sufficient if the guy wanted to see if his house is level with other house sweat.gif
level is for furniture and minor use

for larger thing, people would use what they coin "timbang air pipe" which utilise bernoulli`s concept...

take a garden hose... mark each end, and fill it with water.... then ask a guy to hold it at one end and another hold it at other end... and then from there you can estimate whether it is same level or not smile.gif
+Quote Post
morpheuzneo
post Dec 25 2009, 07:16 PM

Getting Started

Hi thread starter.. thank you for this very informative thread.

i had some issue from house purchase from a sub-sale.. (1st owner..)

the warranty is still valid.., but when all name transfer complete.. i found some defects.. (house was empty). After complaint to developer - they claim i cannot claim any defect.. only 1st buyer can complaint any defect.. but - defect liability period is over.

crap.., after getting the previous owner to complaint ( thanks to him), developer finally agree to so some repair to some of the complaint .

Complaint mainly on - cracks tile.., hollow tile.. botch mark.. (fungus) and other complaint.

What I worry - these complaint was previously found.. and developer said they already repair.. but their repair work were merely cover up work only.. - repaint the cracks..

after few month.. cracks appear again.. and this time appear wider.

what is the best remedy/repair for this problem..?

thank you.
+Quote Post
Singh_Kalan
post Jan 2 2010, 08:19 PM

Regular

Now the wall cracked.

Demolish the whole house, re-pile and re-construct, that's the proper way. But forget about it. No developer in their right mind gonna do this. The pile/soil settling will stop at certain level. just wait and see. Hopefully not by alot.
+Quote Post
cybersim2
post Jan 2 2010, 08:44 PM

Casual

I oso faced problem with my developer. I need to call them many times before they come to repair the defect. I'm getting tired oredi, wat shud I do ? They haven handover the key to me but the bank loan nearly disbursed oredi. sad.gif
+Quote Post
pilotHans
post Feb 18 2010, 03:23 PM

scuderia ferrari pit crew (" ,)

hi, i read the pages.....nice info and thanks for sharing......was always thinking that they must be a list of defect or checklist.....i think the issue is not many people know their rights, consumers here in malaysia seldom know their rights and some are to lazy to take the hustle to bug the developers/house seller......

FYI i've yet to buy a house by end of this year........but im planning to buy a subSale house/2nd hand....so would this apply too? can i complain to the owner or could we nego for low payment.........example asking price 330k.......due to some defects we ask around 310k hmm.gif or remain same price and ask the owner to fix defects like plumbing/fungus etc....or are we not entitled to do so........they must something i can do right........ hmm.gif
+Quote Post
areankim
post Feb 21 2010, 09:47 AM

"Live Life Cool"

i wonder if they really gonan fix all the thing we list out?

even to the smallest details? we have the right?
+Quote Post
JimJimKC
post Mar 29 2010, 02:06 PM

Getting Started

THanks Aaron for such great methods.. I've just got my house and label all defects with the tap and marker.

But not sure if it is because recent weather is too hot, just want to let u guys know dont use the tapes on outdoor or place that get sun alot. Glue will stick and hard to remove later.
+Quote Post
Chung80
post Apr 24 2010, 01:01 AM

Getting Started

This remind me how important to choose a good reputation developer.. sigh~

This post has been edited by Chung80: Apr 30 2010, 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
kelvyn
post May 1 2010, 03:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(pilotHans @ Feb 18 2010, 04:23 PM)
hi, i read the pages.....nice info and thanks for sharing......was always thinking that they must be a list of defect or checklist.....i think the issue is not many people know their rights, consumers here in malaysia seldom know their rights and some are to lazy to take the hustle to bug the developers/house seller......

FYI i've yet to buy a house  by end of this year........but im planning to buy a subSale house/2nd hand....so would this apply too? can i complain to the owner or could we nego for low payment.........example asking price 330k.......due to some defects we ask around 310k  hmm.gif  or remain same price and ask the owner to fix defects like plumbing/fungus etc....or are we not entitled to do so........they must something i can do right........  hmm.gif
What TS listed is for taking possession of completed houses from developers.

As for subsale house, it is more of "what you see, what you get". Of course, if you find defects, you can always ask the seller to rectify them first. Most of them would not. You can try. You never know.
Else, you can knock down their asking price.
+Quote Post
laowai
post May 31 2010, 02:56 PM

Casual

For those living in condos, what if there are pipe leaks causing neighbours walls/ceilings to have defect/leaks, who is responsible for repairs?

Developer or neighbour or pipes owner?
+Quote Post
X-Zen
post Jul 5 2010, 03:10 PM

Yatta!

QUOTE(Chung80 @ Apr 24 2010, 01:01 AM)
This remind me how important to choose a good reputation developer.. sigh~
my frens horror story from the so called reputable developer also scared me

same shoddy work

but they at least will come and rectify cuz scared name gone bad

i think the general workmanship has just gone done the drain
+Quote Post
skinny bear
post Jul 23 2010, 03:49 PM

How about crack outside the house?
For example, i purchase a corner unit and if have crack outside the wall will they repair it?
The unit is also a show unit with furniture, what will i look into? Is there any cons taking a show unit?
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Aug 6 2010, 10:55 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(skinny bear @ Jul 23 2010, 03:49 PM)
How about crack outside the house?
For example, i purchase a corner unit and if have crack outside the wall  will they repair it?
The unit is also a show unit with furniture, what will i look into? Is there any cons taking a show unit?
If you have a standard S&P without any additional caveats, cracks on your outside wall should be covered by developer.

My suggestion is to read your S&P properly... tongue.gif
+Quote Post
surf-it
post Aug 13 2010, 05:29 PM

Landlord

QUOTE(pilotHans @ Feb 18 2010, 03:23 PM)

FYI i've yet to buy a house  by end of this year........but im planning to buy a subSale house/2nd hand....so would this apply too? can i complain to the owner or could we nego for low payment.........example asking price 330k.......due to some defects we ask around 310k  hmm.gif  or remain same price and ask the owner to fix defects like plumbing/fungus etc....or are we not entitled to do so........they must something i can do right........  hmm.gif
For sub-sale. Talk to the owner before signing the S&P. Jote down the things to fix, and put them all into S&P.
+Quote Post
antzan
post Aug 13 2010, 06:31 PM

Getting Started

what if we build our own house and many defects?.How to claim the defects?Picture below as shown some major defects:( vmad.gif

a) Car pillar not align each other...
b) Toilet sink piping too long...
c) Window grill not straight
d) Gap between grill and window frame
e) Plaster wall not smooth,can clearly see the uneven during night time.

Need help in this matter urgently... icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

furthermore the buildup contract house is not being sign by him...haiyooo..major mistake lor...what to do..can we still claim the defects?
1.We just move in last 2 days ago...how do we know is 100% complete built?is it after we got the CF and all the defect is being rectify?
2.Can we hold his balance $$?
3.Can he take action legally on us due to that?
4.Can we claim late delivery penalty house>. Already late by 106days (start 1st pilling @ 16 Dec 09 - we move in @10th Aug 10)..still main gate not 100% complete...flooring panel cover 3 missing...sliding door frm dinning to kitchen not on site...sliding door to storeroom is not on site..

cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif icon_question.gif icon_question.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Added on August 14, 2010, 4:29 pmtoday finally hand over the uncompleted job list to main contractor...make him sign the letter of notice...with stated fully understand and accepted plus sign on it...$$ will only be release upon completion of work to the sastisfaction of owner.

Upon this complete..will issue the Notice of Defective List...again will hold the payment...

He got the guts to say can call Jabatan Penilaian to nilai his work of my house..told him 'good....ask him to verify with letter head and sign on it as need to get the CF'... he doesn't know that i'll then will make police report and MACC of it...for falsifying the job done....

This post has been edited by antzan: Aug 14 2010, 04:29 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
pingpang
post Aug 17 2010, 05:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(surf-it @ Aug 13 2010, 05:29 PM)
For sub-sale. Talk to the owner before signing the S&P. Jote down the things to fix, and put them all into S&P.
Yes, for subsale, we need to talk to the seller on the defects if there are still under warranty from the developer.
If possible, like surf mentioned earlier, put it in writing in the S&P Agreement so as to diffuse any arguments if any conflicts arises.

+Quote Post
PeterYeapCB
post Aug 21 2010, 11:05 AM

i also kena once, water leak from wall, really bad man!
+Quote Post
staygold
post Aug 31 2010, 02:32 PM

thanks for the post..so usefull
+Quote Post
sharzkey
post Sep 15 2010, 10:27 AM

Getting Started

agreed. useful thread.

reputable developer oso is crucial, to minimize 'mess'.

unless u r handyman type of person. do it by ur own after many time barking.
+Quote Post
stevensys
post Sep 27 2010, 10:08 PM

Getting Started

i learn alot.. thanks
+Quote Post
column3
post Oct 7 2010, 10:52 PM

nice info..Thank you for sharing...
+Quote Post
kampit_ikram
post Oct 15 2010, 11:58 PM

Getting Started

if u guys knows QLASSICS... n if u guys have the money... go for the developer with high ratings of QLASSICS...

+Quote Post
mohag
post Nov 20 2010, 10:11 PM

Hi.. nice info. Will be getting keys soon. Thanx
+Quote Post
furryfluffy
post Nov 24 2010, 08:29 PM

Pass That Exam!

Good thread. I produce my own defect report to submit to developer 1wk after the key handing over. Since I'm also in construction industry, I check defects in more details. Wonder if ppl would engage ppl like me to check defects -lol...
+Quote Post
mohag
post Nov 25 2010, 04:35 PM

QUOTE(furryfluffy @ Nov 24 2010, 08:29 PM)
Good thread. I produce my own defect report to submit to developer 1wk after the key handing over. Since I'm also in construction industry, I check defects in more details. Wonder if ppl would engage ppl like me to check defects -lol...
Hi, just wondering, do you mean you provide services to check for defect? And does this type of services exist in our shores? icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
jim800
post Nov 27 2010, 08:19 PM

very good info... thanks.. May i know anyone of you bought house from Metro Kajang before ? Any comment ?
Anyone of you have the defect list template ? Mind to share.

thanks
+Quote Post
furryfluffy
post Dec 3 2010, 07:09 PM

Pass That Exam!

QUOTE(mohag @ Nov 25 2010, 04:35 PM)
Hi, just wondering, do you mean you provide services to check for defect?  And does this type of services exist in our shores? icon_rolleyes.gif
I am in the construction industry. My first project during my intership was to supervise my director's own bungalow & i followed my GM to the bungalow everyday to check defects.

Then I was assigned with medium cost condominiums & later exclusive condominium projects (both well known but i'm not advertising whistling.gif )

So I know defects quite well tongue.gif

I do not provide this service as a business... but wonder if i can do this part time... laugh.gif

I produce my own report for both property that I bought. However, I believe anyone can do it... like this thread is quite informative on checking defects nod.gif
+Quote Post
Arkadeuz
post Dec 19 2010, 12:29 AM

This is a very good thread

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Oct 25 2007, 11:50 PM)

This question was asked way back earlier but I can't seem to find a direct answer (or maybe I've missed them, believe me.. I READ every post sweat.gif ). Could anyone please help RE-answer regarding this matter? icon_question.gif

......and I would like to know if let say I submitted 20 or so list of defect but the developer only manage to rectify half of them and keep dragging, empty promises bla bla bla and so on.. WHEN can I write a letter to the stakeholder to hold the 5%? Should I asked them (in writing) to explain why the rest aren't fix first and give them grace period (again) or should I just sent the letter to the stakeholder?

Thanks notworthy.gif

+Quote Post
furryfluffy
post Dec 19 2010, 03:55 AM

Pass That Exam!

QUOTE(Arkadeuz @ Dec 19 2010, 12:29 AM)
This is a very good thread
This question was asked way back earlier but I can't seem to find a direct answer (or maybe I've missed them, believe me.. I READ every post  sweat.gif ).  Could anyone please help RE-answer regarding this matter?  icon_question.gif

......and I would like to know if let say I submitted 20 or so list of defect but the developer only manage to rectify half of them and keep dragging, empty promises bla bla bla and so on.. WHEN can I write a letter to the stakeholder to hold the 5%? Should I asked them (in writing) to explain why the rest aren't fix first and give them grace period (again) or should I just sent the letter to the stakeholder?

Thanks notworthy.gif
If ur defects report has pic n had joint inspection with developer rep to acknowledge the defects, there will be less risks of dispute. Else any 3rd party (reno contractor) having worked in ur house, could be used to disclaim ur defects report. However, some developers r kind to rectify even if its after reno. Depends.

There is a timeframe to compleye the rectification. Check with ur developer. BTW, afaiac, retention sum only released upon completion of DLP.
+Quote Post
Arkadeuz
post Dec 19 2010, 10:18 PM

Thanks furryfluffy for a well explained answer thumbup.gif

and now, I hope I can get some help and point of view from the forummers. I was just about to sign my S&P Agreement today but because I've been doing some homework (this forum helps me alot), I made it a point to read EVERY single details of the agreement and I found this:

NOW IT IS HEREBY AGREED as follows:-

10. Vacant Posession

10.1 The parties hereto hereby agree, covenant and undertake that the Purchaser has prior to the execution of this agreement inspected and viewed the physical state and the condition of the said Property and the Purchaser is fully satisfied and accepts the same and and that the said Property is sold on "as is and where is" basis with the vacant possession

11. Condition And State Of The said Property

11.1 The said Property has been made available for the inspection of the Purchaser and the Purchaser has inspected the same prior to the execution of this Agreement. The Purchaser hereby declares acceptence of the state and condition of the said Property as the date of this agreement. The Vendor shall not be required and/or liable to carry any additional works whatsoever on the said Property.

I read and re-read and can't find anything related to the 18 months DLP. My questions are:

1. Isn't the DLP is a must in every SnP?

2. Is the SnP telling me that I will buy a house (still in construction progress) without any DLP?

3.I haven't sign the SnP yet but I've already paid the booking fees, If let say I decide not to proceed with signinig, can I get my money back?

4. The Real Estate Advisor (from the developer) told me to write a letter stating that I want DLP to be included in the SnP and she said they will comply hmm.gif .. Is this a valid/good move?

5. Any advice regarding this matter?

I never made any joint inspection of the house or whatsoever with the developer side. What I've done was just looking around the development area armed with a map with with highlited vacant units and choose which one I want, went back to the office and paid the booking fee. The house is not 100% ready by the way.

Help me please icon_question.gif .. I haven't sign the SnP yet but have put down my John Hancock in other documents. The SnP was the last document they hand-out to me...

P/S: Sorry Mr. moderator, although I have posted this question here , I really think it needs a topic of its own. ( I am hoping some expert and Lowyat can help clarify this matter) Need helps regarding S&P

This post has been edited by Arkadeuz: Dec 19 2010, 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
stevenkkt
post Dec 30 2010, 11:31 AM

On my way

Thanks alot for this thread, learnt quite a lot from this. Thanks again for sharing!
+Quote Post
mohag
post Dec 30 2010, 07:29 PM

QUOTE(jim800 @ Nov 27 2010, 08:19 PM)
very good info... thanks.. May i know anyone of you bought house from Metro Kajang before ? Any comment ?
Anyone of you have the defect list template ? Mind to share.
thanks
I bought a house from Metro. So far so good. I will be getting my keys on the 17th January.
+Quote Post
fmshadow
post Jan 7 2011, 02:55 PM

Informative thread!! thumbup.gif

Thanks for sharing the great info notworthy.gif

Just my 2 cents worth: Magnifying glass would be good too to ensure small little tiny defects being examined clearly. You may end-up hearing those DVL staff (who handle the joint-inspection with you) telling: "Where got?, Mana ada? Itu kotor saja, etc..." shakehead.gif sweat.gif

It's rather to be more cautious (a.k.a "Kiasu") than shouting for icon_question.gif later *lolz*
+Quote Post
jady
post Jan 17 2011, 04:08 AM

-----camology-----

The worst defect is leaking toilet. It happened to my cousin's house, upstairs toilet. The developer fix it for at least 3 times to solve it. Create a lot of mess, cos already move in.
+Quote Post
cenkudu
post Feb 4 2011, 04:10 PM

Enthusiast

just wondering is the 18 months warranty applicable to second purchaser? let say the first purchase sell the house within 12 months and there is 6 months left. got problem, my store concrete crack and sand has come out from there
+Quote Post
teoanne
post Feb 4 2011, 04:32 PM

Casual

i would like to know this too as i bought an under construction property from the subsale market

QUOTE(cenkudu @ Feb 4 2011, 04:10 PM)
just wondering is the 18 months warranty applicable to second purchaser? let say the first purchase sell the house within 12 months and there is 6 months left. got problem, my store concrete crack and sand has come out from there
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 8 2011, 02:24 PM

Cat Exterminator

Long time never visit this page... sweat.gif

Transfer of DLP really depends on how the property is sold. This is not legal advice but I'll try to share.

1) Sold by assignment.
Property sold by assignment can continue to enjoy the remaining DLP because the original S&P is still valid. Layman term is tukar nama.
Sauce: HBA read page 8.
Consent charges
When there is no separate title (individual or strata) the developer shall not withhold its consent to any intended sub-sale, transfer or assignment by the buyer to any third party and shall endorse such consent within twenty (21) days from the date of receipt of such assignment. The buyer shall pay to the developer for giving the consent an administration fee of RM500 or 0.5% of the purchase price, whichever is the lower.

2) Sold by direct transfer.
After individual property title is issued and property registered to the original owner name. The new buyer cannot claim DLP because the original S&P lapses. Basically the new owner is considered to have purchased the property on "AS IS" basis. Similar to what "Arkadeuz" posted.

10. Vacant Posession
10.1 The parties hereto hereby agree, covenant and undertake that the Purchaser has prior to the execution of this agreement inspected and viewed the physical state and the condition of the said Property and the Purchaser is fully satisfied and accepts the same and and that the said Property is sold on "as is and where is" basis with the vacant possession
11. Condition And State Of The said Property
11.1 The said Property has been made available for the inspection of the Purchaser and the Purchaser has inspected the same prior to the execution of this Agreement. The Purchaser hereby declares acceptence of the state and condition of the said Property as the date of this agreement. The Vendor shall not be required and/or liable to carry any additional works whatsoever on the said Property.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Feb 8 2011, 02:57 PM
+Quote Post
alfred liew
post Feb 14 2011, 04:28 PM

Casual

Dear Sifu,

i bought a subsale house from developer last year and i have checked the 7 pages only S&P that there is no warranty stated in the agreement and the house is sold as it is condition. the s&p lawyer is their lawyer.

however, i still keep the email from developer sales person promise that they will rectify all the major defects and i also filed in the complain letter 7 mths ago.

and now, they still didnt manage to fix the roof leaking after 7 mths and i havent take over the house as they want me to sign the acknowledgement letter of defects rectification during handling over. base on my neighbor feedbacks that they will not entertain buyer complain once they have signed on the acknowledgement letter.

is there anything i could do as i have paid my loan for 7 mths and i cant rent it out.

thanks

This post has been edited by alfred liew: Feb 14 2011, 04:30 PM
+Quote Post
aaronpang
post Feb 14 2011, 05:41 PM

Cat Exterminator

S&P are legally binding and it clearly states sold as is.

Since you've signed it basically means you agree to the terms and conditions.

Please consult a lawyer if you any legal avenues to persue.

+Quote Post
Koki
post Feb 16 2011, 03:00 AM

Head Editor of NasiLemakTech.com

This is a good thread.
I learned the hard way at first, my house at Seri Kembangan is with the worst renovation.
Tiles fell off the kitchen and the stairs, drips of greyish stuff on the floor (cement) and didn't check...
+Quote Post
drakenkorin
post Mar 6 2011, 10:59 AM