Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Where to bring students for study visit in Johore?, Architectural course.

views

TSverz84
post Feb 2 2016, 10:54 AM, updated 9y ago

On my way
587 posts

Good morning fellow academicians and everybody.

I am a lecturer teaching Architecture in a local university in Sarawak.
We are planning to bring the students for a study visit in West Malaysia & we decided to go to Johore + Singapore.
Our aim for the visit is to give exposure to the students on urban surroundings.
I am not familiar with Johore but i do have some idea what to proposed for the Singapore trip.
If possible, we would like to have a good site for their project in Johore since our next project will focus on urban context.

Thus, i hope to get recommendations from fellow friends here about where can i bring the students for a good architectural trip. But not to forget about sustainability... biggrin.gif

Thank you for all your positive feedback.

This post has been edited by verz84: Feb 2 2016, 10:55 AM
alhelmy
post Feb 2 2016, 11:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,620 posts

QUOTE(verz84 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:54 AM)

We are planning to bring the students for a study visit in West Malaysia & we decided to go to Johore + Singapore.
Our aim for the visit is to give exposure to the students on urban surroundings.
I am not familiar with Johore but i do have some idea what to proposed for the Singapore trip.
If possible, we would like to have a good site for their project in Johore since our next project will focus on urban context.

Thus, i hope to get recommendations from fellow friends here about where can i bring the students for a good architectural trip. But not to forget about sustainability... biggrin.gif

Try Bangunan Sultan Iskandar, Bangunan Sultan Ibrahim and Masjid Sultan Abu Bakar. All beautiful buildings.

TSverz84
post Feb 2 2016, 11:09 AM

On my way
587 posts

QUOTE(alhelmy @ Feb 2 2016, 11:01 AM)
Try Bangunan Sultan Iskandar, Bangunan Sultan Ibrahim and Masjid Sultan Abu Bakar. All beautiful buildings.
Noted with thanks. We will put that in our consideration.
TSOM
post Feb 2 2016, 12:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

why Johor??

what about Yayasan Sabah in Kota Kinabalu??
TSverz84
post Feb 2 2016, 12:37 PM

On my way
587 posts

QUOTE(TSOM @ Feb 2 2016, 12:29 PM)
why Johor??

what about Yayasan Sabah in Kota Kinabalu??
Why Yayasan Sabah? Like i've mentioned earlier part of our trip also to Singapore. So the distance is not far
aka_kepep
post Feb 2 2016, 02:53 PM

a r c h i t o r t u r e d
615 posts

maybe u can try choosing sites within the sungai seget redevelopment vicinity. it has good urban context, plus the site challenges will benefit for the students, rather than having a straight forward site to design.
TSOM
post Feb 2 2016, 04:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

because I was told that Yayasan Sabah is an impressive piece of architecture. tongue.gif
Quantum Geist
post Feb 3 2016, 12:13 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

Try surveying Bandar Iskandar for the new gov center in Johor (got a lot of interesting buildings to see), for older structures in and around JB city it's mostly concentrated around the castle area in the city (although most older structures are hidden due to new road construction). There are a lot of abandoned shopping mall in JB, and one revived dead mall (now called Danga City Mall) if you want to talk about sustainability and the effect for ignoring it.

if possible get a local to guide you around.

This post has been edited by Quantum Geist: Feb 3 2016, 12:21 PM
Krevaki
post Feb 3 2016, 04:35 PM

Regular
1,282 posts

Have you talked to azarimy?
azarimy
post Feb 4 2016, 10:26 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(verz84 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:54 AM)

well, JB is currently under extensive development. i would say if u wanna visit here in 3 years time we'll have double the amount of things to show u than today biggrin.gif.

anyways, at the moment, one the things my fellow architects love about JB is about its colonial architecture. u see, unlike most colonial towns, johor approach to colonialism is unique: they embrace it rather than say "ini semua penjajah". the sultanate have a long history with the british in terms of partnership and collaboration, so instead of the usual "british architects doing what they want in malaya", johor had "malayan builders working collaboratively with british architects". so the architecture is more localized.

this is also evident the local johor culture. johoreans seems to love history and culture and they learned a lot from singapore. they dont bulldoze old buildings unless it cant be salvaged. they develop things around it. so the JB oldtown now is rife with adaptive reuse - things that 10 years ago we only read in european cities. so where colonial shoplots with dying businesses used to be, now grows vibrant hipster joints where young people love to hangout.

so i recommend spending a day in JB oldtown - plenty to experience and eat, and it's all within walking distance. the big shopping complexes are just next door, if the students need to go back to their comfort zone biggrin.gif.

also, there's also the massive development around danga bay-lido area. some has been completed, but plenty still yet to be completed.

but yes, u will need a local to guide u around. walking in smaller groups is better. if u need it, i can organize my student groups to take ur students around.
TSverz84
post Feb 11 2016, 09:36 AM

On my way
587 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Feb 4 2016, 10:26 AM)
well, JB is currently under extensive development. i would say if u wanna visit here in 3 years time we'll have double the amount of things to show u than today biggrin.gif.

anyways, at the moment, one the things my fellow architects love about JB is about its colonial architecture. u see, unlike most colonial towns, johor approach to colonialism is unique: they embrace it rather than say "ini semua penjajah". the sultanate have a long history with the british in terms of partnership and collaboration, so instead of the usual "british architects doing what they want in malaya", johor had "malayan builders working collaboratively with british architects". so the architecture is more localized.

this is also evident the local johor culture. johoreans seems to love history and culture and they learned a lot from singapore. they dont bulldoze old buildings unless it cant be salvaged. they develop things around it. so the JB oldtown now is rife with adaptive reuse - things that 10 years ago we only read in european cities. so where colonial shoplots with dying businesses used to be, now grows vibrant hipster joints where young people love to hangout.

so i recommend spending a day in JB oldtown - plenty to experience and eat, and it's all within walking distance. the big shopping complexes are just next door, if the students need to go back to their comfort zone biggrin.gif.

also, there's also the massive development around danga bay-lido area. some has been completed, but plenty still yet to be completed.

but yes, u will need a local to guide u around. walking in smaller groups is better. if u need it, i can organize my student groups to take ur students around.
Thank you very much for your feedback. Very much appreciated. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:07 PM