Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages « < 41 42 43 44 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Milky Way Shooting Group, (Discussion, Outing, Photo Sharing)

views

bdrc
post Oct 11 2021, 10:23 PM

Regular
1,623 posts

Some new spam from last Fri:

user posted imageStarry night by Rico Lee (asdgraphy / momento.R), on Flickr

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

DennisMay
post Oct 12 2021, 03:13 AM

Getting Started
73 posts

omg.... what a view!
maiself
post Jan 12 2022, 09:59 PM

Pro Surfer
1,325 posts

Hi guys

I am newbie here and very impressed with the pictures you guys shared

I got an old camera Panasonic Lumix GX1 with pancake 14mm F2.5 .. will it be enough as a start..?

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by maiself: Jan 12 2022, 10:13 PM
Loseeker
post Jan 15 2022, 11:49 AM

Apa Macam
760 posts

QUOTE(maiself @ Jan 12 2022, 09:59 PM)
Hi guys

I am newbie here and very impressed with the pictures you guys shared

I got an old camera Panasonic Lumix GX1 with pancake 14mm F2.5 .. will it be enough as a start..?
user posted image

user posted image
Yes, it is a good start. I've started milkyway shots with kit lens before. Just that you need to know the right setting and right timing. Now is not the month for milkway shot. Need to wait till may at least. Jun july and August are the 3 best month for milkyway shots.

Recommended setting for your gear

SS: 17Sec (according to the 500 rule, if u don't know what is 500 rule, google it)
aperture: F2.5 ( maximum)
iso: 3200 (or the highest u can tolerate the grain it will produce, usually for MFT, I won't go over 1600).

Loseeker
post Apr 29 2022, 10:01 AM

Apa Macam
760 posts

Hi guys, Jalan Susu Season is back. This one taken this morning at 1am. Right outside my house.

user posted imageDSCF4698 1 by Apa Macam, on Flickr
maiself
post May 5 2022, 06:57 PM

Pro Surfer
1,325 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ Apr 29 2022, 10:01 AM)
Hi guys, Jalan Susu Season is back. This one taken this morning at 1am. Right outside my house.
user posted imageDSCF4698 1 by Apa Macam, on Flickr
Nice 1

darksideofthemoon
post May 11 2022, 11:50 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

This thread has given me the motivation to go get a wide fast len and go see stars ....😅
powerwoot
post May 12 2022, 07:41 AM

èźšćŽŒçš„ ubuntu
2,877 posts

Macam syiok taking stars, want to try but do not have companion to do so. Can a viltrox 23mm able to do the job?
post May 12 2022, 02:23 PM

Regular
1,426 posts

I am very curious.... is it the most important aspect of shooting milky way is i need to be in a very dark area far from town or other light polution only to manage to snap pic of it?
Loseeker
post May 13 2022, 12:23 PM

Apa Macam
760 posts

QUOTE(darksideofthemoon @ May 11 2022, 11:50 PM)
This thread has given me the motivation to go get a wide fast len and go see stars ....😅
Which camera you're having right now ?

QUOTE(powerwoot @ May 12 2022, 07:41 AM)
Macam syiok taking stars, want to try but do not have companion to do so. Can a viltrox 23mm able to do the job?
If you have companion of course is better. But if you wait for companions to be available, then you might never make it. Viltrox 23mm of course can take milkway photo because of the f1.4. But it will be quite zoomed in. I suggest wider you go wider. Try to get the Samyang 12mm f2 (Manual focus version) if you don't want to spend too much money on a new lens. But first, try with your viltrox 23 first to get a taste of milkyway photography.

QUOTE(0300078 @ May 12 2022, 02:23 PM)
I am very curious.... is it the most important aspect of shooting milky way is i need to be in a very dark area far from town or other light polution only to manage to snap pic of it?
The most important aspect of shooting milky way is getting the right LENS (and the camera that goes with it), second is the right settings (SS, ISO and Aperture). Of course, it would be the best to avoid area with a lot of light pollution. But If you cannot get out of city area, you can still snap milkyway photo if you can find a dark parking area/playground nearby your house, you can still snap some good milkyway photos. I took the following milkyway photo when I was in Kota Kinabalu (Capital of Sabah) june last year.

p/s: Oh yeah, of course, you need to know where to point your camera. And also, the night sky has to be cloudless and moonless. ohmy.gif

user posted imageDSCF0664 by Apa Macam, on Flickr

This post has been edited by Loseeker: May 13 2022, 12:39 PM
darksideofthemoon
post May 13 2022, 10:38 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ May 13 2022, 12:23 PM)
Which camera you're having right now?
Just found that my Nikon D80 is dead after two years hybernation in my dry cabinet, when I took it out recently.😑

So I just got another second hand D7100, that comes with a VR18-200mm for a decent deal, last weeks.

I am sourcing for a second hand Tokina 11-16mm F2.8. for this purpose. Any advise or comments about this lens and the camera will be greatly appreciated.

I need to check out my tripod also. I think the last time that my tripod seen daylight was at least 10-15 years ago. 😁

This post has been edited by darksideofthemoon: May 13 2022, 10:42 PM
Loseeker
post May 14 2022, 10:49 AM

Apa Macam
760 posts

QUOTE(darksideofthemoon @ May 13 2022, 10:38 PM)
Just found that my Nikon D80 is dead after two years hybernation in my dry cabinet, when I took it out recently.😑

So I just got another second hand D7100, that comes with a VR18-200mm for a decent deal, last weeks.

I am sourcing for a second hand Tokina 11-16mm F2.8. for this purpose. Any advise or comments about this lens and the camera will be greatly appreciated.

I need to check out my tripod also. I think the last time that my tripod seen daylight was at least 10-15 years ago. 😁
Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is the BEST choice you have. But sadly, it's also the only choice for Apsc dslr. It used to be in my wishlist for my D7000 along with Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and Nikon 105mm f2.8. A used copy made a lot of sense. You can just get the mark 1 version (tokina made a few successors to this) which was well received for it's high optical quality in order to bring the cost down further. nod.gif
darksideofthemoon
post May 14 2022, 10:36 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ May 14 2022, 10:49 AM)
Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is the BEST choice you have. But sadly, it's also the only choice for Apsc dslr. It used to be in my wishlist for my D7000 along with Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and Nikon 105mm f2.8. A used copy made a lot of sense. You can just get the mark 1 version (tokina made a few successors to this) which was well received for it's high optical quality in order to bring the cost down further.  nod.gif
Thanks for letting me know I am heading in the right direction. And I will be sourcing for the first generation of the Tokina 116 lens, I have checked the cost of the second gen and it's still a bit stiff and less available in the second hand market.

I hope I can contribute some photos in the near future 😜
bdrc
post May 18 2022, 02:11 PM

Regular
1,623 posts

Of recent shoot:

user posted imageChin Swee Temple by Rico Lee (asdgraphy / momento.R), on Flickr

user posted imageChin Swee Temple by Rico Lee (asdgraphy / momento.R), on Flickr
bananajoe
post May 26 2022, 05:54 PM

PhotoPhag
563 posts

If you have companion of course is better. But if you wait for companions to be available, then you might never make it. Viltrox 23mm of course can take milkway photo because of the f1.4. But it will be quite zoomed in. I suggest wider you go wider. Try to get the Samyang 12mm f2 (Manual focus version) if you don't want to spend too much money on a new lens. But first, try with your viltrox 23 first to get a taste of milkyway photography.
The most important aspect of shooting milky way is getting the right LENS (and the camera that goes with it), second is the right settings (SS, ISO and Aperture). Of course, it would be the best to avoid area with a lot of light pollution. But If you cannot get out of city area, you can still snap milkyway photo if you can find a dark parking area/playground nearby your house, you can still snap some good milkyway photos. I took the following milkyway photo when I was in Kota Kinabalu (Capital of Sabah) june last year.

p/s: Oh yeah, of course, you need to know where to point your camera. And also, the night sky has to be cloudless and moonless.  ohmy.gif

May i know what kind of lens will you recommend (3rd party lens for Budget reasons) ?

Loseeker
post May 26 2022, 11:24 PM

Apa Macam
760 posts

QUOTE(bananajoe @ May 26 2022, 05:54 PM)
May i know what kind of lens will you recommend (3rd party lens for Budget reasons) ?
that has to depends on what system you are using right now. But for apsc mirrorless, the first recommended choice would be the Samyang 12mm f2. If you're using dslr, then the recommended lens would be the tokina 11-16 f2.8. Both these lenses are 3rd parties which available for most of the major mounts (Canon, nikon, sony, fuji, oly)
bananajoe
post May 26 2022, 11:34 PM

PhotoPhag
563 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ May 26 2022, 11:24 PM)
that has to depends on what system you are using right now. But for apsc mirrorless, the first recommended choice would be the Samyang 12mm f2. If you're using dslr, then the recommended lens would be the tokina 11-16 f2.8. Both these lenses are 3rd parties which available for most of the major mounts (Canon, nikon, sony, fuji, oly)
Thanks for sharing. I am using D750. So tokina is recommend for this ?
powerwoot
post May 28 2022, 07:48 PM

èźšćŽŒçš„ ubuntu
2,877 posts

p/s: Oh yeah, of course, you need to know where to point your camera. And also, the night sky has to be cloudless and moonless.  ohmy.gif

nice, thanks for the suggestion. I am using fuji xt30 with the 23mm at f/1.4, generally it is working, I am able to get the starry shots quite clear for the first step but If I try to take any foreground such as tree top, the background will be blurry and I have difficulty to make a whole clear in the frame. It won't be a problem if I took shot direct to the open sky.
darksideofthemoon
post May 29 2022, 02:08 AM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(powerwoot @ May 28 2022, 07:48 PM)
nice, thanks for the suggestion. I am using fuji xt30 with the 23mm at f/1.4, generally it is working, I am able to get the starry shots quite clear for the first step but If I try to take any foreground such as tree top, the background will be blurry and I have difficulty to make a whole clear in the frame. It won't be a problem if I took shot direct to the open sky.
Try take two photo and merge using software. See if the results is good.
Loseeker
post May 30 2022, 05:38 PM

Apa Macam
760 posts

QUOTE(bananajoe @ May 26 2022, 11:34 PM)
Thanks for sharing. I am using D750. So tokina is recommend for this ?
D750 is full frame. The tokina 11-16 I've recommended was for apsc dslr camera such as D7200. For Full frame such as your nikon D750, you should look at Tokina 16-28 f2.8. But for Full frame, you has much more choices depending on your budget. Other than the Tokina, one of the most expensive options would be the Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Sigma 14-24 f2.8 and Nikon 17-35 f2.8 and Sigma 14 f1.8 (prime). If you are on low budget, you can look at samyang 14mm f2.8, which is even cheaper than tokina but it is a manual lens.

QUOTE(powerwoot @ May 28 2022, 07:48 PM)
the 23mm is too zoomed in for what you want to achieve. If you don't want to get the samyang 12/viltrox 13, then perhaps you can do like what darkside said, take 2 photos, one focus on the sky and the other focus on the foreground and stack them in photoshop

44 Pages « < 41 42 43 44 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0228sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 2nd July 2022 - 04:03 PM