Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Microsoft Windows 10 (V.2)

views

audiocool
post Jan 29 2016, 08:53 AM

On my way
586 posts

Being running for a week on Windows 10 in my machine. But dislike about the cortana, Windows store.. So decided to change to Windows 10 LTSB version. This is the version without cortana and Windows store.

audiocool
post Aug 7 2017, 01:25 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 7 2017, 12:27 PM)
yes bro, it's that simple for w10 uefi mode install. i'm not trolling lol

actually i use the same since w7. make sure bios settings are set up correctly for legacy or uefi (e.g. for uefi bios, you set secureboot on; csm off; fastboot on; for nvme ssd as boot drive, you will need uefi bios)

you can try out and see if it works for you. just create one and boot with bios boot menu. (just testing, don't go install the os. you can exit anytime)

my w10 install process is still more or less the same every time:
1. create usb stick as described previously;
2. since all my data are in different drives so i just reboot the machine, press the mobo-specific key to bring up boot option menu and select the usb stick to proceed;
3. use diskpart > clean to clear everything in the os drive;
4. continue w10 installation as usual.

edit: very sorry it's my mistake! i just realized all this while i use only FAT32-FORMATTED BOOTABLE USB.

EXFAT-FORMATTED USB PREPARED USING THE ABOVE METHOD DOESN'T WORK AT ALL! the way i used before was to split the much larger install.wim into pieces, and used dism to install w10 :/
I'm using Win 10 at the moment.. If I would like to use Win 10 in UEFI mode.. Is that means I have to format all my existing hard drive..

I have 1 SSD, 3 hardisk. All in MBR partition.

Any steps to follow ?
audiocool
post Aug 9 2017, 09:07 AM

On my way
586 posts

possible to change bootable SSD drive to GPT first while remain all my 3 existing hardisk in MBR... After re-install Windows 10 then only change to GPT ?
audiocool
post Aug 9 2017, 01:07 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 9 2017, 12:26 PM)
yes you can do that. however if you planned to reinstall the os, you can perform a fresh install with uefi mode directly. there is no need to do conversion.

for a clean install in uefi mode, it's better to disconnect all hdds first to avoid mistakes. create a bootable usb stick with fat32 format, then boot into bios and make sure all uefi-related bios settings are set up properly. finally shut down the system and boot it up and choose bootable usb stick as boot drive.

edit: there is an additional step that i always do when i do clean installs: once booting into windows installation screen, press shift+f10 to bring up the command prompt, run diskpart > select target disk > clean to clear everything on that disk if it's a used disk. this gets rid of everything from the target disk, including all those multiple system partitions involved if you performed multiple w10 upgrades before, and reclaim those free space.

when you perform the above, if you don't disconnect your hdds like i suggested, then make sure you triple check that you are selecting the correct target disk.
Thanks mate.
audiocool
post Aug 10 2017, 08:49 AM

On my way
586 posts

any sifu here know how to backup the Windows 10 activation key so that after format hardisk again, we can just restore it.
audiocool
post Aug 10 2017, 07:58 PM

On my way
586 posts

i tried to use diskpart during win 10 installation, but it end up created a few unuse partition.

step i did:
diskpart
select disk 0
clean

audiocool
post Aug 10 2017, 09:06 PM

On my way
586 posts

because my disk previously is MBR. i can only change to GPT during installation of Windows 10.

after i issue above command, the disk become unallocated and i choose then click next windows 10 installation begin.

it created additional reserved and recovery partition.
audiocool
post Aug 10 2017, 11:48 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 10 2017, 10:13 PM)
ah if that's the case then of course smile.gif w10 installation will create additional system partitions to support operations of the os. these are system partitions, not meant for users.

by now your os disk should be a gpt disk. to confirm that it's a gpt disk, goto disk management click on the os disk and select its properties > volumes. the partition style should be identified as guid partition table (long name for gpt)
last time when i'm using MBR , i dont have such as additional partition for Windows 10....

Not sure this is the nature of UEFI Windows and GPT????
audiocool
post Aug 11 2017, 08:46 AM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 11 2017, 12:10 AM)
er previous windows also have system partitions. however they are not visible in file explorer, but you can see them in disk management.

if you don't mind, can you please take screen shots of your disk management and file explorer? actually i don't quite get what you mean. are you saying that these partitions are shown in file explorer?
When I'm using MBR and during Windows 10 Setup Screen, normally I choose format, and it did not popup any message such will creating any recovery partition or whatsoever message. I check in disk management, there is not additional partition is created.

After finished 1st installation in Windows 10 using GPT.. I purposely re-setup Windows 10 for 2nd time, that's the time I saw there created at least 2 additional partition. since I already convert to GPT during 1st Windows installation..
So I choose "Format" option, it is formatted with no error. When I tried to click "next" to begin the installation, then it have message at bottom, so sort like Windows cannot install in following drive..

In order to go through, I have to goto Diskpart again, do the following
Select disk 0
clean exit

After above, installation only can proceed but it created with additional partition.
audiocool
post Aug 11 2017, 12:00 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 11 2017, 11:43 AM)
the partitions layouts are different for (w10 + mbr) and (w10 + gpt)

from your description (w10 + mbr), it's like you didn't do diskpart > clean, but selected the largest partition to format, and proceeded after that. there was no additional system partitions created because w10 reused system partitions that have been created previously by w7. (there is at least a system-reserved partition from w7 installation)

for the 1st w10 installation using gpt, at least 2 system partitions created during the process. this is automatic by default if the disk is blank and the user doesn't set up these partitions manually. during the 2nd (w10 + gpt) installation, i think you chose to format one of the system partitions that is too small to install os, hence the error. (the size should be 450mb; it's the recovery partition; the other one which is sized about 99mb is efi system partition, which cannot be formatted with ui) by right you should select the remaining unallocated free space instead for w10 installation.
I plan to do it another time where by I will take out my SSD. Connect the SSD via (USB->Sata) cable and hook up with my laptop. Goto Disk Management, format it to GPT and set the size to full since it is only 120GB and purely for OS purposes.

After finished above steps, plug it back to my desktop PC and proceed windows installation. If I choose my SSD and click "Next", will it create also the additional partition ?

Oh ya, if I create GPT partition, which file system should I use ?
Because in order for thumb drive boot in UEFI mode, file system supported is Fat32 or ExFat. Is that mean my SSD also need to choose Fat32 or Exfat ?
audiocool
post Aug 14 2017, 11:43 AM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 11 2017, 12:39 PM)
.. you actually don't need to do that. the ssd is already a gpt disk. partition type (gpt, mbr) and format (ntfs, fat32, exfat) are different things bro. for w10 and uefi to work, you need those system partitions. setting it up to use full disk for user is pointless because during w10 installation it will tell you to reorganize the disk so that system partitions needed can be created again.

use ntfs for your os disk.

btw the thumb drive must be formatted with fat32, not exfat. it's my mistake to tell everyone that exfat worked. it doesn't for w10 installation with uefi.
which mean that installation of Windows 10 in UEFI mode will create additional 3 partition (2 recovery partition and 1 EFI partition) ? And this cannot be avoided?
If yes, how to do so.

I encounter another issue that I bought a 3TB hard drive. I initliazed it in Windows 10 - Disk management.
I created additional 1 unused partition.
Possible to avoid this as well ?

This post has been edited by audiocool: Aug 14 2017, 11:51 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1004sec    0.28    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:45 PM