Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

ymeng85
post Jan 9 2016, 04:11 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 9 2016, 12:03 AM)
I'll upload some content in this first post once i have spare time.
Continued from previous thread here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2524627
V2! Let's keep it going rclxm9.gif thumbup.gif
ymeng85
post Jan 10 2016, 04:11 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(skylinelover @ Jan 10 2016, 11:48 AM)
lel is starbucks freak consider as coffee kaki laugh.gif icon_idea.gif
In general most members here don't treat Starbucks as real coffee. They are more like coffee flavoured syrup/sugar drinks company haha
However you are most welcomed to stay and read and hopefully we will successfully brain wash you over to the dark side icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by ymeng85: Jan 10 2016, 04:12 PM
ymeng85
post Jan 10 2016, 06:37 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(CallMeGucci @ Jan 10 2016, 06:29 PM)
What thermometer do you guys use? Can anyone recommend any?
RM10 thermometer from China gotten off Ebay. A little slow but works well enough for water temps
Are you using it for water or milk?
ymeng85
post Jan 12 2016, 09:53 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(wadthehellz @ Jan 11 2016, 11:46 PM)
Yea thanks  rclxms.gif
Yea they removed the link  shakehead.gif yea I also hope they will do that rclxms.gif
I did it on a Poemia once. It was RM88 on Lazada.
Next day they cancelled my order without notice. Called up their service number and they just give me the excuse of "Out of stock, but feel free to buy from another seller if you like" mad.gif
I hope you get it this time though bro thumbup.gif
ymeng85
post Jan 17 2016, 12:19 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Jan 16 2016, 01:35 AM)
Hi fellow coffee lovers,

Been struggling with GERD for almost 3 years now. Wife and doc advice to stop coffee completely for now until I fully recover.
Had some discussion with wife, and she think its best I let it go completely.  cry.gif So it's with a heavy heart I'm letting go my Breville Home Barista Set:
Sad to hear that bro, from one coffee lover to another. Hope your machines find themselves a good owner. I see a very well maintained setup. Good luck with the sales as well as your health
ymeng85
post Jan 19 2016, 11:13 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(CallMeGucci @ Jan 18 2016, 09:41 PM)
Hey i've recently wanted to try some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans. Anybody can recommend me a good local roaster of this variety?
I still have some Yirgacheffe in stock. Will PM you separately
ymeng85
post Jan 19 2016, 02:05 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 19 2016, 01:16 PM)
You have only one point which is water close to boiling temperature is most suited for coffee and i believe most if not all the members in here knows it already.
I think what we want to know is what makes the machine so special other than reheating the water just for instant coffee?
Spot on bro. Along the same lines, a temp controlled kettle like the bonavita/buono is even better cos you could do pourovers too after a while
ymeng85
post Jan 20 2016, 09:54 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(PegasuS87 @ Jan 20 2016, 02:26 AM)
Hi everyone, im new here smile.gif
been using delonghi ec155 with krups gvx2 for almost 2 years. Thinking to upgrade for both of it and i need some advice from sifu here.
😊😊😊
Welcome!
Upgrade in which direction? I assume espresso right? Budget?
ymeng85
post Jan 20 2016, 03:17 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(PegasuS87 @ Jan 20 2016, 02:27 PM)
yup espresso. i love latte smile.gif
upgrade to something like eureka mignon and ns oscar. around that budget.
is that good?
I like the way you think! Go for it
But since you are ready to splurge on a good grinder, the latest comparison by socraticcoffee is showing that the SmartGrinder is a serious performer even when placed next to the coveted Malkhonig EK43

user posted image

This is a comparison done on espresso level grind settings. Just look at that particle distribution curve for uniformality

This post has been edited by ymeng85: Jan 20 2016, 03:41 PM
ymeng85
post Jan 20 2016, 03:59 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(PegasuS87 @ Jan 20 2016, 03:51 PM)
sry i dont really understand the graph, it shows the smart grinder was the best?
is it durable compare with mechanical machine?
It's more on consistency of grind. The graph can be a good indication of uniformity but we don't know how it will perform across different grind settings
As for durability, commercial grinders would probably outlast it since there's still plastic parts within the grinder. But the cost is 10x difference
You are looking at home use or cafe?
ymeng85
post Jan 20 2016, 05:02 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(PegasuS87 @ Jan 20 2016, 04:23 PM)
home use ....hek hek hek ~
i was hoping that this upgrade would last for at least 3 to 5years....so durability is my main concern
is it possible for this price range? ohmy.gif
If you're a 1-2 cup a day person, it will easily outlast that duration thumbup.gif

ymeng85
post Jan 20 2016, 05:52 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 20 2016, 05:49 PM)
I did consider an Aeropress before but i like my coffee with some "dirt" and residue in it. I feel im getting a bolder taste (without filter medium) and that's why i opted for both the Moka Pot and French Press.
Aeropress with a metal filter can also get you that
ymeng85
post Jan 21 2016, 09:29 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(sabahan62 @ Jan 20 2016, 08:47 PM)
Hi,

Since I have seen so many members here talking about freshness of the roasted beans, how about doing home roasting?

Wondering anyone here has ventured into roasting green beans? Like using Gene Cafe roaster or other brand? Or even using a pop corn maker to roast like I saw on YouTube. Btw, where to buy green beans?
Wow, lots of interested roasters. Good to see the direction that Malaysians are heading to in specialty coffee
I'm actually a home roaster that started with a popcorn popper, moved to a Gene Cafe and now have a proper commercial drum roaster on the way. Overall I've been roasting for almost 2 years now.
I have a thread here on Lowyat offering roast on demand beans to help sustain my hobby/learning/potential career change biggrin.gif . Don't want to pollute this thread with sales, PM me separately if you're interested or questions

Anyways, Gene Cafe is a decent home roaster to start with but the main heartburn is the lack of thermal logging to allow you to properly profile your roasts. This influences consistency and makes it more trial/error to recover a bad roast (underdevelopment, overroasting). However, it's not too costly as a start on your journey to learn about real coffee roasting
As for green beans, there's no actual way around things. AP is the ugly monster that continues to want to block your way. Without one, I mostly get from eBay and also SweetMarias when friends or family travel but it's not getting very economical now with the USD rate as well as the measly quantities you can bring in (too much and customs is going to get alerted)

QUOTE(lowkl @ Jan 20 2016, 11:09 PM)
Finally! Someone interested in the same thing, and asking the same question!

I've been interested in trying out some home roasting as well; not quite using a popcorn maker but to use one of those halogen turbo ovens sitting on a simple motorised stirrer.

But the big problem seems to be getting the green beans! It seems such raw coffee beans can only be imported into Malaysia with an AP (another crony enriching mechanism) so getting them direct from Sweet Maria's is out. I have found a couple of importers but they all do only wholesale... so unless I commit to at least many kilos of beans they are not interested.

I have raised this topic on this forum before, with zero responses.  Perhaps we can raise some interest and if we find a few more like-minded individuals we can buy a sack of beams to experiment....
If you have found a local importer willing to sell in bulk I don't mind sharing
Halogen turbo ovens may work well but make sure you can hit 250C and you might want to figure out how much thermal energy is available - that influences what is the quantity you can roast per batch

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 21 2016, 09:00 AM)
How do you guys plan to roast the beans? I know of heating them until they caramelize till they pop in the frying pan but this will cause inconsistent color.
Btw, i just got my Brazilian coffee and im loving it!
The pan method is pure conduction heat. In this case, lots of agitation is require to make sure there's no burnt spots. Also, you may risk hitting first crack fast and the outer layer roasting too quickly compared to the inside. This can cause very bad under-development and gives you a grassy/herby taste to your roast. Development is very important for sweetness especially for espressos
ymeng85
post Jan 21 2016, 09:37 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(maxguy @ Jan 21 2016, 09:07 AM)
good morning coffee lover!
Nice! What beans are you drinking today?
ymeng85
post Jan 21 2016, 09:49 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jan 21 2016, 09:46 AM)
Too bad I have access to place where I can blend my own beans (over 30 kinds of greens) and control roast temp to try out different profile. Then again quality of beans may not be as good as those single origin sourced by say Intelligensia.

Even I don't do so I can get shipment in free of charge thanx to the country I am in. Hard to control even if i do roasting, new job last min travel plan screw up consumption rate. If one can discern the taste between 7 day old vs 4 day old great, otherwise it's more psychological.

There are pros but what you stated seems like a stretch.
show off! tongue.gif
ymeng85
post Jan 21 2016, 10:15 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(maxguy @ Jan 21 2016, 09:59 AM)
thanks bro, bought online coffee blend smile.gif
Ahh....v60 needs a good single origin laaa... haha
ymeng85
post Jan 21 2016, 01:11 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Jan 21 2016, 12:14 PM)
Was interested back when it was launched...
Am using Breville now, but have to temporarily give up coffee, posted my setup here for sale:

user posted image

WTS Breville Espresso Set

Perhaps when my condition gets better, hopefully within a year's time, I can convince my wife on the OscarII.

That said, still having doubts selling off my Breville. I've done some survey in my neighbourhood forum, seems like quite a number of people interested on "take-away"/ Grab and Go Espresso based drinks... could turn it into small business instead of getting rid of the machine cause I can't drink.
Good idea. Some popup markets would be good places to setup too
Or even a coffee truck!
ymeng85
post Jan 22 2016, 11:20 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(luvox @ Jan 22 2016, 09:56 AM)
Simonelli Oscar plus ZD 16. This is my current setup. Im using it for past 9 months & they are still good for my every morning latte.
[attachmentid=5881516]this is old photo taken july last year, newbie photo
Getting my own Oscar sooooon....can't wait!
Have you checked your pressure before? Is it @ 15bars and did you do any OPV mods to bring down to 9bars?
ymeng85
post Jan 24 2016, 12:08 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(maxguy @ Jan 23 2016, 09:29 PM)
thanks ymeng85 smile.gif
Anytime bro. Let me know how it tastes to you too
My WhatsApp/PM is always open to coffee haha
ymeng85
post Jan 24 2016, 12:10 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(PegasuS87 @ Jan 23 2016, 07:29 PM)
wow...  drool.gif  drool.gif

And it stated comes with anti vacuum valve, dont know whether can mod opv like previous version or not.
Isn't the antivac more of a convenience feature rather than performance? It's so that you can turn on the machine and walk away versus having to purge the steam to get the boiler to actual real brew temp?

28 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0266sec    0.89    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th July 2021 - 12:15 PM