Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

qqmeng
post Jan 24 2018, 06:34 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

newbie here, just drop by and say hi.

got my Beville semi auto coffee machine and loving it... and only after getting the machine i realised i hv so much to learn.

anyway, great to know you all here.
qqmeng
post Jan 27 2018, 07:17 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

Nothing much there beside bunch of coffee lovers
qqmeng
post Jan 30 2018, 01:57 AM

Regular
1,092 posts

Ya... the flair expresso maker is interesting...
qqmeng
post Feb 4 2018, 08:36 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(Theoutspokenguy @ Feb 4 2018, 01:48 PM)
guys i just bought the nescafe barista machine. Its awesome but can anyone recommend me what is the right fresh milk to make cappuccino or latte?

Cold Milk? or what brand? UHT Milk? I am confuse

I bought Dutch Lady Purefarm low fat high calsium milk but it taste weird.

What is the right fresh milk to make the above?
You mean nespresso creatista? My fren has it, absolutely a good machine!
qqmeng
post Feb 5 2018, 11:05 AM

Regular
1,092 posts

I quick question:

For home use, how many of you actually use a knockbox?
qqmeng
post Feb 5 2018, 01:50 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Feb 5 2018, 12:34 PM)
I own a very beautiful JOEFREX Concept art Metal Base Knock Box with drawer... I thought it would be so convenient and space saving since I can put my Grinder on it.
While it saves space, and looks beautiful, I've only truly used it less than 10 times over the past 3 years  tongue.gif

All the hassle to emptying the drawer, washing up the drawer, wipe and air dry so the metal part got no water stain, then re-assemble the drawer... I find it easier to just knock the puck of at the inner side of my bin. So far the inside of the Brabantia bin still undented thumbup.gif

TLDR: Knock into Bin instead of Knockbox/drawer
LOL....
qqmeng
post Feb 5 2018, 01:51 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Feb 5 2018, 12:47 PM)
After years of using DIY knock boxes, got this about 6 months ago:

[URL=
http://www.lazada.com.my/plastic-coffee-ma...e-41050799.html]Plastic knock box via Lazada[/URL]

Compared to what I was using before, a huge improvement in terms of clean-up. I place a small plastic bag as a liner, then use the bar to hold the bag in place. Now when it gets full, just pop off the bar and remove the bag. My mom-in-law takes it home with her as organic fertilizer.
Sometimes i really wonder the value of the knockbox. ☺️ Anyway, tht is a beautiful knockbox.
qqmeng
post Feb 7 2018, 10:03 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

i just knock it at the side of the plastic bowl with one hand holding at the other side of it so it wont topple when i knock my porta against it.

Anyway... good to know tht many here actually dont use a knockbox. I used to think tht most coffee shld hv one to make you a complete coffee lover... haha i was so wrong
qqmeng
post Feb 8 2018, 12:39 AM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Feb 7 2018, 10:56 PM)
knockbox.. here is my 2-cents:

if you're using those sub-100gram, pressurized portafilter.. most likely your machine is not equipped with a 3-way solenoid valve and the coffee puck will mostly been wet/soupy.
thus it's much more easier to get rid of the wet/soupy puck.

it will be much harder to plonk out the dry coffee puck from a half-a-kilo portafilter. more so when the coffee puck is so stubbornly stuck on the heavy portafilter. it might dent most plastic bin or worst still, it may dent those expensive ims basket.

the rubber thingy on the knockbox is very helpful at absorbing the knock force..

it's a nice thing to have, especially if you're doing high volume work..

Ya, you have ur points there and thts why i m asking only the home user 😊
qqmeng
post Feb 8 2018, 03:01 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

I have seen cafe placing those pucks in their toilet... very interesting and it actually works.

qqmeng
post Feb 20 2018, 11:09 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(adamkhoo1 @ Feb 20 2018, 06:04 PM)
next time ask for less sugar or no sugar laa  brows.gif  mamak one haa always bancuh kaw2 manis. i not a coffee lover, other drink just fine for me. Can anyone help me with this info?actually, it is okay or not? https://youtu.be/Fq5mlIqCA-w
The was one time, i ordered in one kopitiam for “kopi siu tong” (kopi less sugar), tht guy noted and shouted to the kitchen “kopi yat bui” (kopi one glass). They just dont customise their drink to ur taste 😅

qqmeng
post Feb 23 2018, 10:25 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

My steam wand has got only one hole instead of 3 or more... i m using breville barista express.

Any major different between the no. of hole in the steamwand?

qqmeng
post Feb 24 2018, 12:19 AM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(chiucheng @ Feb 23 2018, 10:46 PM)
Im guessing more steam holes means more variety of steam directed at different angle, better rolling of milk?  Btw it could possibly be the limitation on lower powered steam as too many holes will further weaken the already weak steam, weakness of the design...?
I have no idea...
qqmeng
post Feb 26 2018, 06:01 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Feb 26 2018, 05:06 PM)

the keyword is spelled clearly... "breville"
cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif oh well.... i m new and they are still serving me great. still finding ways to preperly froth my milk sweat.gif
qqmeng
post Feb 28 2018, 03:26 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(d33pbluez @ Feb 28 2018, 09:36 AM)
Well, difference is one hole machine tend to have lower steam power then 3 hole. Even so the technique to rolling of both are different. With one hole you need to rely on the skill of beat up and wall hugging (Depending on the pitcher wall to give your milk a nice swirl to process for microfoam) while 3 hole, tend to be more beat up and milk tumble (Depend on the steam power to beat up the milk from below to give a nice milk tumble and roll to process for microfoam)

Yeah, i know is a weird term....that what used general to explain in layman term
I think thts the reason why i m still finding ways to froth the milk.

Thanks for the head up. I will try harder...... 😅
qqmeng
post Mar 7 2018, 11:39 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(nottyKitty @ Mar 7 2018, 03:36 PM)
What machine are u using to froth the milk?

I have made more than 200 cups in past 3 months, and can never get my damn most basic latte art of a heart shape!

Suspect is the pannarello wand on my machine making the damn foam thick!
I hv the problem too... but man, 200 cups in 3 mths shows ur passion toward latte art!

Hmmm maybe we shld try not to blow too much air into it. Will try that tmr and lets see
qqmeng
post Mar 7 2018, 11:40 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Mar 7 2018, 04:40 PM)
"thick foam" is an indication of over stretching in the initial stage.. too much air is injected into the milk.. your Arissto frother + wand(?) combo maybe is good for building 3D latte art..
Thx for the tips!
qqmeng
post Mar 16 2018, 06:51 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Mar 16 2018, 03:34 PM)
Congrats... this was the model that i initially wanted to get.. but ended up with 210s2. Hope you managed to get the grouphead rubber casket as well..
it takes time to learn about milk frothing.. the hissing sound; not too much(wand tip too high), not too little(wand tip too deep)..
by the way, you're using the 1-hole tip or 2-hole tip?
Frothing sound easy but its never easy.....

Now i think i get the frothing part as i managed to make a odd shape panadol .... and it is only odd shape panadol i can make now. Man..... latte art is soooo tough!
qqmeng
post Mar 18 2018, 09:08 AM

Regular
1,092 posts

Pitcher helps?
qqmeng
post Mar 18 2018, 03:01 PM

Regular
1,092 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Mar 18 2018, 01:56 PM)
I would say only for that extra 5-10% improvement but most pitcher will do fine

The lip helps to give you the right thickness so you can draw the exact thing you want (imagine paintbrushes - fat for thick strokes, fine for thin strokes)
But for frothing, any generic pitcher will work well enough
I see.... hmmm... maybe i shld try to play around few another few pitchers to see if it helps .... thx bro

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0422sec    0.50    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th July 2022 - 05:14 AM