Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

milan_rudi
post Apr 4 2020, 04:53 PM

3 posts

Hi there..
Sorry for jumpin

I just reading a couple pages back and found really nice discussion and recommendation for coffee itself..

I want to ask, is there any coffee bean that origin from malaysia itself?
Since i am foreigner who living here i just know that malaysia famous for ipoh coffee but when try to search the bean i couldnt found..
Is there any.?

Another one..
Is it possible for RM 1K to get proper espresso machine + grinder?? I know the question is asked all the time but really appreciate if someone can answer my question

Thanks

This post has been edited by milan_rudi: Apr 4 2020, 08:52 PM
milan_rudi
post Apr 4 2020, 09:50 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Apr 4 2020, 08:56 PM)
Famous local ROASTED coffee here is similiar to Singapore style which is the Hainanese style - dark roasted Robusta or Liberica varietal coffee which is then stirred into margarine/sugar to form shinny clumps of black gold. This is then ground and sold to our commonly found Kopitiams to be made into our classic Kopi'O drinks. So if you're looking to taste our local culture coffee - many famous brands across Malaysia but of course the "White Coffee" brand stands out, majority believe to originate from Ipoh region.

As for locally GROWN coffee, example is Muar, Johor which grows Liberica varietal beans (which locally are also referred to as Elephant beans). Also there is My Liberica company which does the full journey from growing to roasting to serving Johor Liberica varietals but without sugar/margarine additions during roasting and prepping it more similarly to current modern espresso/drip styles.
There is also an upcoming company - Sabarica located in Sabah that has brought together local coffee farmers scattered across the Mt Kinabalu region. They grow exclusively Arabica varietal and is actively still exploring new processing and bringing new varietals into Sabah.

I currently have the Sabarica grown coffee in our roastery ( both washed and honey process ). So if this is something that you would want to try, let me know!

As for your espresso machine question - sorry to say 1k won't get you anywhere worth for espresso making. More pain than gain. Just go with drip to expand your sensory until you're ready to splurge around 4k-5k for a decent proper setup
Hi Ymeng,

thanks for your respons. no wonder i couldnt find any roasted IPOH coffee bean.. as id like to drink black coffee without sugar so i think i dont want to try the stuff you mention about "IPOH Coffee" hehehe..
since im new into this coffee thing i would to try different type of coffee as i could.
so if you have some of local coffee bean could you PM me the link? if its around my budget maybe i would try..
i checked your link on your sigi but couldnt found the local coffee biggrin.gif..

as for espresso machine.
i used to drink black coffee since i was in highschool and become interest to know more from coffee world.
now i have manual hand grinder bought from my country and want to try and learn about espresso thing..
i read some couple pages back and some machine for under 1K mentioned.
like CM3605, ECP33.21 and etc.
i just wondering which brand who the most worth it to buy for that price. maybe you could give advise for this heheh

Thanks

This post has been edited by milan_rudi: Apr 4 2020, 09:51 PM
milan_rudi
post Apr 10 2020, 05:09 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Apr 4 2020, 08:56 PM)
Famous local ROASTED coffee here is similiar to Singapore style which is the Hainanese style - dark roasted Robusta or Liberica varietal coffee which is then stirred into margarine/sugar to form shinny clumps of black gold. This is then ground and sold to our commonly found Kopitiams to be made into our classic Kopi'O drinks. So if you're looking to taste our local culture coffee - many famous brands across Malaysia but of course the "White Coffee" brand stands out, majority believe to originate from Ipoh region.

As for locally GROWN coffee, example is Muar, Johor which grows Liberica varietal beans (which locally are also referred to as Elephant beans). Also there is My Liberica company which does the full journey from growing to roasting to serving Johor Liberica varietals but without sugar/margarine additions during roasting and prepping it more similarly to current modern espresso/drip styles.
There is also an upcoming company - Sabarica located in Sabah that has brought together local coffee farmers scattered across the Mt Kinabalu region. They grow exclusively Arabica varietal and is actively still exploring new processing and bringing new varietals into Sabah.

I currently have the Sabarica grown coffee in our roastery ( both washed and honey process ). So if this is something that you would want to try, let me know!

As for your espresso machine question - sorry to say 1k won't get you anywhere worth for espresso making. More pain than gain. Just go with drip to expand your sensory until you're ready to splurge around 4k-5k for a decent proper setup
QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Apr 10 2020, 02:34 PM)
Well, specialty coffee is somewhat also a craft. We're here to present our craft and derive satisfaction from the enjoyment that others received when drinking our coffee
Earn money also need to earn with "heart"  smile.gif
Hi bro ymeng, any update for this one? Hehe..
milan_rudi
post Jul 28 2020, 02:09 PM

3 posts

Edited, found it already..

Btw want to ask if any recommended roastery with price rm 25/ 200gr looking for single origin coffee..
Last time i have tried arabica estate, sf_trading for the roast to order type..
Else just some seller who only sell the coffee bean in package..

So far i have tasted,
Brazil santos,
Columbia supremo,
Guatemala SHB
Vietnam (from some seller called anniethen) roasted on feb bought in jun --"
Blue mountain kuching (i dont know where the origin thought.. but seller said its single origin)
Ethiopia Yigarcaffe
Toraja arabica,
Bali kintamani
Mount Ijen
Etc... I forgot already whats indonesia beans i have drink before..

Any recommended single origin beans except those list above and bugdet max 25 per 200gr?
Do let me know ya..
Usually i drink with v60 biggrin.gif

Thanks

This post has been edited by milan_rudi: Jul 28 2020, 03:19 PM
milan_rudi
post Jul 29 2020, 09:49 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jul 29 2020, 12:37 AM)
bro...there's more to it than just country/region ah...

different estates, different berries mix, different process (natural, honey, normal wash), different elevations, hill facing different direction, different rainfall, etc... then roaster roast them differently... you can get many flavors from a single region
Yes bro.. thats why im interesting to taste single origin than mix/blend..
I search on shoppe not many seller who sell the bean in range RM 20-30 per 200gr..
Most of them sell above RM 30 for 200gr..
I know also why this type of bean sometimes more expensive than blended one..
So i would to know if somebody in here knows a seller who sell it with decent price (my budget is 20-25 ringgits for 200gr hehe)
milan_rudi
post Aug 6 2020, 04:35 PM

3 posts

Hello again..

Just got my crm3605 yesterday and received english manual book today from seller..

I notice in the manual book there is option to stop brewing time automatically at certain times by press the coffee brew button but it doesn't mention how to adjust the time.. does anyone know how to adjust the timer??

Thanks
milan_rudi
post Aug 6 2020, 05:00 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(sunami @ Aug 6 2020, 04:55 PM)
press and hold the brew button till the desire second and let go..
i din get the english manual book wo...mine to share it?
Thanks bro..

Can bro.. i will upload later bro..

This post has been edited by milan_rudi: Aug 6 2020, 05:00 PM
milan_rudi
post Aug 6 2020, 07:20 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(sunami @ Aug 6 2020, 04:55 PM)
press and hold the brew button till the desire second and let go..
i din get the english manual book wo...mine to share it?
Here you go bro.. hope it can attached

Attached File(s)
Attached File  CRM3605_IM__2___2_.doc ( 217k ) Number of downloads: 21
milan_rudi
post Aug 9 2020, 06:18 PM

3 posts

Hi again..

Want to ask..
Is there any zd-12's user in here??
Im trying to find espresso grind size in this grinder..
First im trying with no2 in this grinder. i can only get 30 gr out for 18gr in within 25 sec with medium to dark roast beans..

So i try to replicate with light roast beans, but the results is very poor.. at 15 sec its already 40 gr out (18gr in).. so i go to setting no.1 but the result is not so much different.. 35gr out (18gr in) in 15 sec..
By any chance can we calibrate the grinder?? I tried to googling but no luck for zd12, mostly zd 15 or 17 the have video to calibrate it..

And kindly advise which roaster level that easy to extract for beginner like me?? I find some article that said light roast is in different level to if you want to use with espresso method or other words not suitable for espresso..

PS: my machine is crm 3605..

Thanks

This post has been edited by milan_rudi: Aug 9 2020, 06:20 PM
milan_rudi
post Aug 10 2020, 09:21 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(abel @ Aug 10 2020, 02:07 PM)
different bean u need different grind size , for espresso i suggest start from medium roast

u cant use 1 grind setting for all beans each time i change bean i need to adjust again the grind size
Thanks bro..
I notice about it too.. but from what i read light roast should be grind finer than medium..
While my medium/dark roast beans is using scale 1 still cant achieve 38-40gr out in 25-30 sec..
Thats why i wondering is it any wrong with my grinder.. can it calibrate? Hehe.. however the light roast beans is from my v60 brew and im waiting for medium roast blend to arrive hopefully can know what is the problem about my dialing
milan_rudi
post Aug 17 2020, 08:54 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(pierreye @ Aug 13 2020, 05:49 PM)
Too fast or too slow? If too fast, try to up dose. When I change from triple basket to double basket (IMS Pro 14g), I need to up dose up to 18.5g in order to get 30s for 1:2 ratio. Brewing at 16g will always extract below 25s no matter the grind size.
Too fast bro.. but i have tried add some washer to the burr.. i know this cz the seller told me that zd-12 sometimes might be lose the burr.. now got another problem hahahha..
Always channeling at the edge of porta..
I have use leveler/distribution toll or whatever you called and tap/untap before distributed it
Try with tamp at lvl5 grind scale, only can manage 10gr out (18gr in)
In 30 sec --"
Try without tamp lvl 5 grind scale also the coffee even not coming hahah
Try without tamp lvl 6 grind scale got 40gr out/18gr in in 30sec..
But when i looked up the puck there is always channeling at the edge

Do you know the trick to prevent it??

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Aug 14 2020, 01:07 AM)
Found another reasonably good coffee here.. Latin America, it's a blend so it's not exactly S.O.. Ordered early second week of August.. the kicker was the price; RM28 for 500g
[attachmentid=10553228]

[attachmentid=10553229]
I frothed less and because of that, had to add a little bit more milk than my usual routine.. by the way.. this is UHT milk.. nice?
I have ordered this beans also hahaha..good value for money

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Aug 14 2020, 01:10 AM)
This is WPM ZD-12.. Mod it properly, and your espresso grind may look something like this..
[attachmentid=10553230]
Is it grind setting for espresso bro??

My i know your mod??

This post has been edited by milan_rudi: Aug 17 2020, 11:25 AM
milan_rudi
post Aug 18 2020, 10:06 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(pierreye @ Aug 17 2020, 09:08 PM)
Try WDT or RDT technique to reduce channeling.
Thanks bro

I did try both techniques this morning..
And the result is amazing haha..
Can achive 40gr out in 25sec..
But still couple adjustment in here since i aiming 30 sec with 5sec infuse time..

QUOTE(missmataleo @ Aug 18 2020, 02:39 AM)
hi guys. im new in choosing espresso machine. if budget around 1k, is delonghi dedica a good espresso machine? or got other choice
I would recommend you crm 3605 bro..
I decide to buy this machine after see couple positive review in here for this machine..
But as the masters in here said better buy good grinder first before the machine biggrin.gif

milan_rudi
post Sep 6 2020, 05:54 PM

3 posts

Hi,
Anybody tried el salvador casablanca single origin??
Specifically from SOL roastery??

Is it hard to get proper shoot for this bean??
I have bought it and received today..
When i tried normal shot, 18gr in/40gr out i got best time at 28sec.
But i got salty taste for my espresso..

I googled it, it said because under extraction but i got window time..

Anyone mind yo share tips for it??

Before i can manage to get nice espresso (for myself at least) with sol blend from sol roastery..
And bought the single origin because want to try different bean hehe..

Thanks
milan_rudi
post Sep 10 2020, 08:19 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(abel @ Sep 10 2020, 03:50 PM)
salty ermm interesting .. normally under extract will towards sour
Yes.. i google it, usually i found under extract will be sour but mine is salty hahaha..
but somehow can find it the right receipt for it hahah

QUOTE(ycs @ Sep 10 2020, 04:23 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

just about to finish my el salvador single origin; quite oily beans, the puck becomes quite soggy; taste nice with milk
Mind to share the receipt for it bro??
Mine is 19gr in / 40gr out in 30 sec..
Taste still sour but it is still acceptable with my pallet...
I dont usually drink coffee with milk but will try later.. i still dont learn about frothing milk ahhahaa
milan_rudi
post Oct 17 2020, 12:35 PM

3 posts

Hii there..
Need your advise again..
Is there anyone know how we can get water tray cover only for crm 3601/3605??
Or gemilai doesnt sell spare parts only?

Thanks
milan_rudi
post Nov 1 2020, 12:44 AM

3 posts

Hi i need Sifu's advise for grinder here.
sorry if this one repost question.

i need to upgrade my grinder since my old grinder (wpm-z12) have problem. so i was thinking spend RM1K max for new grinder.
i use gemilai 3605 for espresso (2-3 cups/day) and sometimes do v60.

at the first time i was looking for higher version of my WPM like zd-15 or zd17N but when i searched on dankoff, i found that they have mignon manuale that with price RM1,350. i tried to google it and it has good review by some youtube channel.

and then when i tried to google another grinder brand found the cheap grinder OEM called Raccea Coffee Grinder only RM400 and has 60mm flat burr and also steeples.
https://www.carousell.com.my/p/raccea-coffe...der-1029816036/

any advise which better? maybe some of you have an experience using one of both grinder?

i would like to get eureka if this grinder is so worth it with that price, because i know eureka is one of well-known brand in coffee industry, but 60mm flat burr with only RM400, it is sounds interesting but seems this one OEM and i dont know what the built quality for this one, so need some couple advise from here.

Thanks Sifu
milan_rudi
post Nov 4 2020, 07:32 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Nov 3 2020, 05:17 AM)
Customer brought in the 80 model. I believe a cafe in KL is supposed to bring this in and for the life of me cannot remember which
How much is cost bro?

How about mignon manuale?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2191sec    0.22    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:37 AM