Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

lowkl
post Jan 10 2016, 09:40 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(kenlui @ Jan 9 2016, 02:24 PM)
U would probably want to raise your budget. A good grinder can easily cost RM2.5k by itself, and almost the same for a machine, maybe a lil more.
So in your opinion, what would be the minimum initial setup?
lowkl
post Jan 10 2016, 01:55 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(razorkid @ Jan 10 2016, 10:06 AM)
Saw others mentioning some china brand grinder. Are they any good? Any recommendation.
Google reviews of "600N" and balance it against the fact they cost 20% of a European branded grinder.

Also, what's your preferred brewing method? If only espresso using unpressurized portafilter, I would guess your needs are pretty high standard; then maybe not good enough.
lowkl
post Jan 11 2016, 03:50 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

Peoploids,

Just in case you did not know:

Café Malaysia 2016 will present the largest gathering of coffee and tea industry players to showcase equipment, machinery, accessories and various supplies and products for the perfect one-stop platform for industry professionals. Wake up and smell the abundant business opportunities in the growing regional and international counterparts.

Event details
Venue: MATRADE Exhibition & Convention Centre (MECC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Date: 14 - 16 January 2016

lowkl
post Jan 11 2016, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(wadthehellz @ Jan 11 2016, 04:05 PM)
Traders & Business visitors  shocking.gif what about home user visitor?  rclxub.gif
Thursday & Friday are for trade visitors; Saturday is for anyone.

lowkl
post Jan 11 2016, 11:28 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(wadthehellz @ Jan 11 2016, 10:55 PM)
yea try bought 1! hope it ships come then i no need buy my zd-16 dy LOL dreaming rclxub.gif
Not there anymore! Hope they honour their advert & give it to you at the earlier price.....
lowkl
post Jan 19 2016, 11:21 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 19 2016, 10:18 AM)
Coffee beans are exempted from GST right?
Btw, how fast do you guys normally finish your 250g/500g/1Kg beans?
At 14gm per cup, 500gm gives 35 doses. At 3 cups a day, that's about 12 days... just in time before the beans go stale.

lowkl
post Jan 20 2016, 11:10 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

Just got a batch of beans from LeBistro Coffee

Attached Image

According to their website, "As its name implies, LeBistro Freshly Roasted Beans are only roasted upon order and customers typically receive the coffee within 3 days after roasting. The coffee beans are professionally roasted in micro batches using the Diedrich Roaster imported from the United States, with the roasting time and temperature carefully adjusted for each batch to create a consistently perfect roast. After roasting, the beans are packed in one way valve bags and immediately shipped to the customers."

I placed my order on 11 January, and according to the label, they really did roast it on order and shipped it the next day!! However, they send via regular POS Malaysia package mail, so it took 4 days to arrive.... still crazy fresh!!

Attached Image

Pulled 3 shots yesterday.... very very pleasant. I'm not a super sophisticated coffee geek, so can't analyse the taste, but everyone in my home appreciates it. Crema on the Poemia was also very nice.

And the kicker? Only RM36 for 500gm ... no delivery charges for even a single bag order!

This post has been edited by lowkl: Jan 20 2016, 11:17 AM
lowkl
post Jan 20 2016, 05:26 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 20 2016, 03:15 PM)
How i wish i could get an espresso but due to budget and space constraint, i can't.
Have to enjoy my French Press & Moka Pot for now. biggrin.gif

Heck, even in office i cant make coffee using fresh milk and have to resort using condensed milk because there's no fridge and the pantry's super far.
You MUST try Aeropress.... it is still my favourite method anywhere outside home. Super convenient, makes really really good coffee, easy to clean up, very forgiving in terms of technique, one of the cheapest .... At my wife's office, I can even brew at her cubicle (cleanup at the pantry of course); just that the two minutes on the Hario Skerton attracts some attention! That, and the wonderful aroma..... !!

For milk, try the packet UHT milk... full cream seems better than the "fresh" type, IMHO. No need to refrigerate, the small packet makes about 2 decent lattes.
lowkl
post Jan 20 2016, 11:09 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(sabahan62 @ Jan 20 2016, 08:47 PM)
Hi,

Since I have seen so many members here talking about freshness of the roasted beans, how about doing home roasting?

Wondering anyone here has ventured into roasting green beans? Like using Gene Cafe roaster or other brand? Or even using a pop corn maker to roast like I saw on YouTube. Btw, where to buy green beans?
Finally! Someone interested in the same thing, and asking the same question!

I've been interested in trying out some home roasting as well; not quite using a popcorn maker but to use one of those halogen turbo ovens sitting on a simple motorised stirrer.

But the big problem seems to be getting the green beans! It seems such raw coffee beans can only be imported into Malaysia with an AP (another crony enriching mechanism) so getting them direct from Sweet Maria's is out. I have found a couple of importers but they all do only wholesale... so unless I commit to at least many kilos of beans they are not interested.

I have raised this topic on this forum before, with zero responses. Perhaps we can raise some interest and if we find a few more like-minded individuals we can buy a sack of beams to experiment....
lowkl
post Jan 21 2016, 05:20 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jan 21 2016, 02:54 AM)
coffee needs to degas for few days to achieve its peak after roasting.
store bought roasted on 21st Jan 2016 and home roasted on same day not going to make yours any fresher. Home roasting you can nail down the time its roasted but I yet to come across studies that 1hr diff makes great diff.

home roasting makes sense if one cannot get access to "fresh" beans by that I mean beans that have degassed for over few days. many tried to consume their beans with 14-15 days after their roast date.

many times home roasters is doing it out of passion more so than freshness of beans.
You forget two other factors.... control & cost.

If you control the roast, you can try out different roast profiles using the same beans. It would be nice/interesting to try out different profiles to see what suits your personal preference instead of the roasters. The other thing you can control is the blend since most green beans are effectively single origin when purchased.

The other factor is the cost. Getting consistently freshly roasted beans in turn mean two things: premium services and small quantities. Premium services because not all coffee beans sources cater for aficionados ; eg all regular store-bought beans from supermarkets don't have roasted - on dates. Small quantities because unless you are a heavy consistent coffee drinker (or pull shots for more than one person like I do) it is difficult to finish a large bag before the tail end gets stale. Therefore, small bags. Small, frequent and fast supply means high transport costs.

Both these factors mean substantially higher prices. Roasting at home means you can guarantee freshness by roasting exactly what you consume, exactly when you want/need it, exactly how you like it. You buy green beans in bulk (by the kilo) as they can keep easily for 6 months to a year without significant degradation. You aren't paying some courier company RM 6 every 2 weeks to move a paltry 125gm or 250gm bag a few km, or the parking fees/petrol/car maintenance costs incurred when you drive to the few stores that stock beans with Roast by dates.

Thus ends my geek rant....
lowkl
post Jan 21 2016, 11:18 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jan 21 2016, 09:46 AM)
Too bad I have access to place where I can blend my own beans (over 30 kinds of greens) and control roast temp to try out different profile. Then again quality of beans may not be as good as those single origin sourced by say Intelligensia. Transport cost not much as its like 5 min drive away or 20 min walk.

Even I don't do so I can get shipment in free of charge thanx to the country I am in, roast dates on those just under 3 days usually. Hard to control even if i do roasting, new job last min travel plan screw up consumption rate. If one can discern the taste between 7 day old vs 4 day old great, otherwise it's more psychological.

There are pros but what you stated seems like a stretch.
Not "too bad" but "d*mn lucky". You must admit your circumstances do not represent the vast majority of us coffee geeks. If getting good roasted coffee was so easy I doubt I would consider home roasting (.... well, maybe still).

Seems this discussion has brought out someone who has begun this journey a while ago. That's a huge plus.....
lowkl
post Jan 26 2016, 04:25 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Bigboyz @ Jan 25 2016, 07:31 PM)
Guys, any idea where can I get those fancy shot glass with measurement?
I use a lab glass beaker .... 150ml. Cheap (RM12 each plus delivery charges), strong (heat-resistant borosilicate glass) accurate measurements (if you are targetting where the marks lie), and so very cool. The only thing about the 150ml is that it is slightly too tall for the Poemia, so have to tilt it slightly when putting in under the portafilter... should have gone for the 100ml.
lowkl
post Jan 26 2016, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 26 2016, 05:15 PM)
Where can i get the French Press filter mesh? I only want the mesh and the hardware shops which i asked dont have it.
Mine's starting to rust because i didnt wipe it dry.
Please share the brand of French Press so that we will *NOT* get it!

I thought all should be pretty much rust-proof; I think Bodum is, at any rate.....
lowkl
post Jan 27 2016, 07:33 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jan 27 2016, 01:02 PM)
Mine is some cheap China french press only  blush.gif unlike you all who have much much deeper pockets..
Personally I think this forum is a little too preoccupied with crazy expensive equipment.

As for the French Press, perhaps getting a set from Ikea would be more cost effective than hacking a new mesh. The 1 liter model goes for RM 59 while the 0.4 liter is just RM 27.90. Was just at the Cheras branch... tons of stock.
lowkl
post Jan 28 2016, 01:02 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Kclee2002 @ Jan 28 2016, 12:55 PM)
Bg kurangkn kos kperluan harian,Krjn akn,antaranya,liberalisasikn AP bg prod prtanian trpilih trmasuk biji kopi mentah,daging #Bajet2016

Saw this on kopitiam, does this mean we will be able to import raw beans without AP in the near future?
According to The Star's ongoing report on the revised budget, Mr 2.6 billion announced "- 3. To reduce cost of living, Govt to liberalise APs for agricultural products including coffee beans and meats".

So what does "liberalise" mean? Why not just say "eliminate"? Does it just mean more cronies get APs?

lowkl
post Jan 28 2016, 01:09 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(aranny2001 @ Jan 28 2016, 09:28 AM)
I have problem with weak crema, got my fresh bean from my espresso lab, bean is fresh, around 2 weeks old.

i got myself with a unpressurised basket. using my hand grinder to grind to the finest(took really long time to grind it though) , tamp it and pull the shot. Surprisingly it over tamp at the first time.

Second time adjust the grind about 1/4 turn from finest to course, tamp at the same pressure. this time still under tamp, the coffee came out too fast with very weak crema.

Im expecting myself to get a nicr crema like tiger stripe, but fail to do so, but havent give up yet. My machine is Delonghi ecov 311, since the Delinghi EC 155 wit upf can do a nice crema tiger stripe, i believe my machine can do it too.

Any idea what will be the problem? is it because of my coffee not properly grind enough? feel like wanna get an electric grinder.. tiring of grinding with my arm... lol
[attachmentid=5927155]
Possible you have channeling: water going through cracks in your coffee grounds due to uneven tamp or overdosing.

Not that I actually know this from experience: I use pressurised (with very light tamp), and a low dose so no chance of this happening....
lowkl
post Feb 1 2016, 10:01 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

An article to science up your Federal Territory Day.....

The Science Behind a Good Cup of Coffee
lowkl
post Feb 2 2016, 10:33 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:23 AM)
I had a cup of Coffee Bean's house blend coffee and it was terrible. Not that im a snob but it was the most tasteless and watery cup of coffee i've ever got from a cafe.
I think we all get spoiled by preparing our own coffee, using equipment we are familiar with, great beans, fresh grinds, tuned to our preferences.

That being said, have to admit most of the chain coffee houses make atrocious brews. I believe most of their baristas don't care two hoots about the stuff they peddle.
lowkl
post Feb 10 2016, 12:33 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(AzrinRain @ Feb 10 2016, 12:18 PM)
Good day folks, was wondering what digital scales do you use and where do you purchase them?

Many sites point to this one (American Weigh Scales AMW-SC-2KG Digital Pocket Scale) and i like the look and portability of it.

Unfortunately, the shipping is a bomb.
Hopefully fellow coffee lovers here could lend me a hand.
I use this:

AWS Blade Digital Pocket Scale.

Advantages:
- it's so small & fits with my Aeropress/Hario Skerton travelling kit
- can recalibrate, though this requires a calibration weight (which costs almost as much as the weighing scale itself!)

Disadvantages:
- Not good for pourovers .... too small. Readout & buttons can be obscured by the coffee server
- design of the weighing platform allows liquids to seep in.
- base was not 100% level. I added a few felt tabs to compensate.

Previous to this was using cheapo kitchen weighing scale. However, did some calibration checking... can be off by 5 gm (depending on the weight of the container)!! Hence not good for weighing out doses.
lowkl
post Feb 10 2016, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(AzrinRain @ Feb 10 2016, 12:57 PM)
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Yeah, it's quite small, melikes!
But the platform size is about 7x7cm, i'm guessing the readout will be obscured by the Aeropress and/or my 8cm mug.
How often do you feel the need to re-calibrate the scale?
For inverted Aeropress is just nice.

I think your mug should be OK if it has a relatively flat bottom (not with a deep concave bottom).... the readout & buttons swing out a bit, so should be still easily accessible.

I haven't got the calibration weight yet, so now have been using it for about a year without recalibration.

I found this calibration weight - 500gm on Lelong which would work, for RM39 + RM8 shipping.

24 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2088sec    0.63    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 3rd August 2021 - 08:31 AM