Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

kenlui
post Jan 9 2016, 02:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(linkinawe @ Jan 9 2016, 12:48 AM)
Hi all, I thinking to get a home use coffee machine and grinder, my budget is around Rm2.5k max for both.

Can anyone give some suggestion ?  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
U would probably want to raise your budget. A good grinder can easily cost RM2.5k by itself, and almost the same for a machine, maybe a lil more.
kenlui
post Jan 10 2016, 02:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Jan 10 2016, 09:40 AM)
So in your opinion, what would be the minimum initial setup?
4-5k, or maybeu could have a lookmat china brands as suggested. Not to familiar with those.
kenlui
post May 2 2017, 06:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

Anybody familiar with this brand 2elle elissa?

Friend got a display unit for sell at a really good price, a search online didnt yield many results though
kenlui
post May 2 2017, 11:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 2 2017, 09:33 AM)
Looks nice... how much?
Was offered 2K, but only 6 months warranty.
kenlui
post May 2 2017, 05:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 2 2017, 03:03 PM)
Awesome price bro... get it quick... wink.gif
Will do but can't get much information online other than from the official site.
kenlui
post May 2 2017, 08:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 2 2017, 05:45 PM)
Looks like a rebranded Bezzera with some customization... can't be sure just looking at photos... have not looked at machines for a while now...

These semi-pro machine all worked about the same with commercial parts...no worries... my machine and I are celebrating our 11 years soon...

Get a good grinder with it too...it's mandatory biggrin.gif
I already got a Compak K3 2 years ago, been serving me faithfully.
kenlui
post May 3 2017, 06:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(siauann @ May 3 2017, 02:44 PM)
2k is a good price. u have any idea its a single boiler or a heat exchanger machine?
Still not sure, cant seem to be able to find any information online. Will be heading over to my fren's cafe to check it out soon.
kenlui
post May 4 2017, 06:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 3 2017, 07:14 PM)
That's a HX machine, with e61 group head, with separate boiler and brew pressure indicators...

"Should" be using pressure-stat for boiler temp / pressure control, with anti-vacuum valve, yada yada...

Should out performs the Oscar...but much longer time to heat up and stabilize...
Much longer means how long?

My current machine is a el cheapo delonghi, which takes only less than a minute to heat up. If it takes long to heat up then I might have to miss my morning daily cup then
kenlui
post May 31 2017, 08:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

Finally this has arrived.

Attached Image

Still getting used to the more powerful steam wand. Anybody knows why why i'm getting a less silky milk compared to my old delonghi? There is only very minmal foam on the top of milk, temperature is actually already higher than the 50-60 degrees range. I'm thinking it's my angle issue.
kenlui
post May 31 2017, 09:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(Dan430 @ May 31 2017, 09:36 PM)
Nice!! Congrats!!  rclxm9.gif  drool.gif

Time to make some good coffee!! on the milk you need to inject air earlier and then make the milk swirl. that will give u better foam, also adjusting the angle. 1-2 practice you will make it eventually!!

@luvox yeah i think @d33 must be mistaken or maybe he have special source?! brows.gif  icon_idea.gif
My milk was ady swirling, maybe not enough air? haha.. will watch some youtube and try.
kenlui
post Jun 1 2017, 09:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(blahbleh @ May 31 2017, 10:40 PM)
Fuhhhhhh.....mine to share what's the total damage and where did you purchase these beauties?
Bought the grinder 2 years back from eciatto from 2k++, as for the coffee machine, it's a special deal from a friend who is in the coffee line as it was a display set, so I can't disclose the price but let's just say it was really worth it.

QUOTE(d33pbluez @ Jun 1 2017, 07:59 AM)
Single hole wand ? Generally single hole wand you need to have good angle for the swirl and air intake, You need to control the steam knob too else the milk will heat up pretty fast even before you get a good froth leaving only hot milk. It is all hit and miss until you perfect it with practise.
Just checked, it's a 2 hole wand actually.

Wand is a bit loose though, don't know if that affects. My friend ask me to tighten it myself but can't seem to tighten it. Will probably get it checked during the 6th month service.
kenlui
post Jun 1 2017, 10:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Jun 1 2017, 10:14 PM)
Good for you! Now go enjoy making many many cups of delicious coffees  thumbup.gif
The usual beans that I used taste much better now haha.. in fact I think I overdid it as it tasted a bit sour, still need some getting used to.

Grind size is already quite fine but I'm just getting minimal crema, can it be the beans?
kenlui
post Jun 1 2017, 10:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jun 1 2017, 10:34 PM)
Water not hot enough...?
Machine ady heated for >15 mins prior to use, in fact on my first setup the coffee tasted better, time taken to heat up was shorter than 15 mins though
kenlui
post Jun 2 2017, 02:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jun 1 2017, 11:02 PM)
What do you mean by that?...vs delonghi?
Nope not comparing to delonghi. First time when using machine, time from startup to coffee extraction was shorter than subsequent times.
Can it be due to over heating milk?

QUOTE(flowerhorn @ Jun 2 2017, 01:16 AM)
What is the roast date of the beans? Could be old beans hence less crema. Make sure you distribute and tamp properly to avoid channeling. Sourness could be attributed to under extraction or water temp too low.
Roast date was mid may which I think is still quite new.
kenlui
post Jun 2 2017, 07:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Jun 2 2017, 03:10 PM)
What's the roast level?
I hope you didn't accidentally pick up filter roast beans to use as espresso  biggrin.gif
Nah I think it's medium roast, I got it from bean shipper, espresso roast subcription.

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jun 2 2017, 03:16 PM)
I know what you mean...lol...
Nah...they can steam whole day without affecting brew temp much...

Do you have a thermometer, and did you try it out in KL?

You're not really a newbie per se... lol... just new to HX so now on the steep end of this new learning curve... smile.gif

Did you flush and immediately pull the shot? This E61 may need a rebound time after flushing...people play with flushing & rebound to vary brew temperature...  biggrin.gif

So your first order of business is to establish... heat up time / flush time / wait time, before 1st brew, then flush / wait time for subsequent brews...
U mean flush the steamer or the group head?

I do on the steamer, and almost immediately start brewing. As for the group head, nope, I dont run it prior to brewing.
kenlui
post Jun 2 2017, 08:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jun 2 2017, 08:04 PM)
The group head... the E61 typically has a flush and wait routine before brewing... but varies from machine...
how long do u suggest waiting?
kenlui
post Jun 3 2017, 10:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jun 2 2017, 09:30 PM)
it depends...

First thing first...establish flash-boil with your flushing...it's an indicator it'll get hot enough for brewing...flush until no more flashing... then is a matter of waiting long enough to get back to temperature...try 10s if sour, try 20s and so on...

If no flash-boil, you may need to warm up longer...

Edit: some bed time reading...

https://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html
Today's coffee tasted much better today, made 3 cups as I had guests around. I flushed, waited for about 15-25 seconds in btw each cup. The last cup tasted best, sourness was gone, and I waited the longest which is about 25 seconds if I remember correctly. Will continue experimenting. I assume this applies for the machine only, so for different beans it doesnt matter right?
kenlui
post Jun 3 2017, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jun 3 2017, 10:45 AM)
Some beans like it a bit hotter/cooler...some likes a hump temperature profile... lol...

Welcome to the world of HX thumbup.gif

Edit: depending on machines...and time between cups...subsequent cups may not need or a shorter flushing and waiting... just have to experiment...
Sounds like a hit & miss scenario to me.
kenlui
post Jun 3 2017, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

How often do u guys clean your group head with the cleaning tablets? and for grinder as well. my grinder is 2 years old and has never been cleaned internally nor serviced.
kenlui
post Jun 3 2017, 11:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,379 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jun 3 2017, 11:06 PM)
Some ppl do it weekly otherwise monthly. Really depends on how much coffee u drink. You should back flash daily before turning off machine.

As for grinder will do it monthly. Open it up and clean out the burr. You may have to readjust
Monthly? Woah.. that's a bit too frequent right?

Googled up the DIY cleaning video for my grinder and managed to take it apart, cleaned it but wasn't able to remove all 100% of the coffee powder but I'm satisfied with the final work, forgot to take pics of it though.

I only make max 2 cups a day, so I think back flushing weekly is fine.

This post has been edited by kenlui: Jun 4 2017, 12:40 AM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0218sec    0.35    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:47 PM