Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Standard ] · Linear+

> Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

eohl79
post Jan 3 2017, 06:08 PM

3 posts

Hi guys... if I have a budget of RM5k, what espresso machine should I consider? Exclude grinder.
1. Saw a Lelit PL91T which looks nice and compact...
2. NS Oscar II?

Upgrading from my Delonghi... sweat.gif
eohl79
post Feb 25 2017, 09:02 AM

3 posts

I would be interested to tag along if somebody is getting a BES920 bottomless portafilter...
eohl79
post Feb 25 2017, 09:09 AM

3 posts

Tried Aeropress vs V60, seems like with same grind setting and beans, Aeropress coffee seems a bit bolder, more body... but with V60, cup is cleaner, no bitterness and seems to accentuate the fruitness of current beans. I am leaning more towards V60 extraction now. Scratch head... both are paper filtered but why the difference? The way the grounds are soaked and pressure extracted in the Aeropress? Doing inverted method btw.

Kopi noob
eohl79
post Feb 25 2017, 08:20 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(kuluuluk @ Feb 25 2017, 12:49 PM)
Hello, as for areopress, I would recommend you to change the paper filter to metal filter (fine) as it will helps with brighter, and more body (the oil can pass through). The particles at the bottom of the cup, well that depends on grind size and your grinder too. All in all, I pick my albe metal filter anytime over paper.
Hmmm... never tried the Able metal filter before. Heard there is a corse and fine mesh. Might do one day... I do like my day to day coffee like Costa Rica Tarrazu Aeropress or French Press with more body. Just that it was my first time trying V60 and some Honduras Naciemento beans. Felt like lighter body did more justice highlighting the fruity flavors.

On the grinder, you mean capability of grinder to grind coarser - mid fine with less fine dust/grounds?
eohl79
post Feb 25 2017, 08:22 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(kucau @ Feb 25 2017, 07:10 PM)
no push extraction in v60 unlike aeropress. clean and light , i prefer v60 anytime especially for cinnamon or city roast for ethiopian / geisha bean. awesome!  flow rate/grind size  does effect v60 taste. try brew more than 4 min and u might "destroy" the taste.
Currently getting ~3:00 drip, porlex hand grind 20g, 200ml water... looks like a lot to learn about V60 lol
eohl79
post Mar 28 2017, 10:30 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(lalala_lalala @ Mar 28 2017, 08:51 AM)
Hi guys....ive been using lavazza quality oro for quite sometime...i like the taste...not too strong...however i would like to try something different....any suggestion? i never tried any fresh roasted before...whats the different between fresh roasted and the one sold at supermarkets?
Don't ask... try... may the flavor, smell and taste (also $$$) guide your choice
eohl79
post Apr 4 2017, 12:06 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(outdoorxplorer @ Apr 2 2017, 08:16 AM)
I am using a manual grinder from CrushGrind, it is "Brazil" a tabletop grinder and expecting its portable manual grinder "Columbia" to be delivered later this year.
What kind of coffee brewing method(s) are you using with it? How consistent are the grinds? How much dust?

I have a Rhino mini grinder but looks like the grounds are ok for Aeropress but notvdesirable for my V60. Too much fines which affects my pour over consistency. Am getting much better grind and consistency for pour overs with my Beville machine grinder.
eohl79
post Apr 25 2017, 06:09 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 25 2017, 12:17 PM)
Take your time...I'm still practicing after >10yrs smile.gif

...and still sucks at it...lol...

This one did yesterday but didn't froth properly...not smooth...but stable...Farmhouse milk...
user posted image
Wow very nice! Question sifu.... does the cup used makes a difference when doing Tulips latte art? I'm using a deep double wall glass. I just wonder if a shallower cup with rounder inner would be better. My tulips very cacat and still needs a lot of work. Really noob, only doing this for 4 months now. Basic heart easier la.

Attached Image
Attached Image
eohl79
post Apr 25 2017, 09:30 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 25 2017, 06:42 PM)
Simple tulips & hearts easy to pour, any cups also can...very fancy pour need more surface...shape not so important...just need more practice, and understand what went wrong so don't repeat..

PS...Your initial pours too fast/too early and one-sided...smashed the whites to the wall...

My cups...5, 5, 8, 10oz... all my recent pours from the tall blue mug... lol...
user posted image
Wow... ok will try, I can take 2 whites 2 blacks per day... so should be okay... just need to burn off that belly from all that milk. Thanks for the tips. Now understand how much hard work all the pro baristas need to put in for Latte art.
eohl79
post Apr 26 2017, 09:36 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Apr 26 2017, 10:26 AM)
The initial stage of pouring is only for mixing. The art part come towards the end when the beverage height is high enough on the cup that the lip of your pitcher can get close enough to allow the milk foam to "float" above the coffee instead of diving straight to the bottom
In that sense, a wider mouth cup reaches this stage earlier than a tall tulip cup

With that being said, you can do more complicated art using a wide mouth - rosettas, swans, multi layered wing tulips etc
On the tulip cup, you are limited to only a small amount of milk before you overflow so mostly tulips BUT there's no limit to your layers! I've seen a champion latte artist achieve 14 layers with a piccolo cup !
Wow thanks for the tips....

Looks like I was not doing the initial pouring right! Tried slowly pouring a slow steady stream of milk into the center, about 3/4 cup. Then started pouring out the so called art... wow turns out so much easier to float the foamed milk... this is crazy haha

More practice

Attached Image
eohl79
post Apr 28 2017, 11:49 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 26 2017, 10:45 PM)
good job

Now try swirling it...don't just pour into the middle...move it around...this will help with mixing...

Now you need to learn to tilt and "un-tilt" the cup as you pour.
Thanks for the tips, will try! Hands still shaky and not steady. Always come out with not enough milk for the tulips haha icon_rolleyes.gif

Been off my Latte for few days, just Aeropressing my Brew & Bread Guatemalan beans, Sumatra Mandheling beans in office and dripping Ethiopian beans at home. Too much black coffee not to waste! Espresso beans running low anyway...
eohl79
post Apr 28 2017, 08:41 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(locoroco2 @ Apr 28 2017, 02:49 PM)
I think he's referring to the label, labeling beans as espresso or drip is a recommendation from the roaster on how to bring out the flavor of the beans.
Yup! I like my light roast beans dripped, more on acidity, sugars, light body. Tried those for Latte before but to my tastebuds just doesnt jive well with milk... maybe ok for an espresso shot but not favourable.

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Apr 28 2017, 04:03 PM)
Really depends on the roaster and how much do they buy into omniroasts (same profile, can use for filter or espresso) but for me, I actually do a different profile for filter and espresso even for the same bean

Example if I keep the profile relatively fast and ending early, you will generally get a bean that is high on the acidity side. Brewed on filter with it's gentle extraction method and higher water:bean ratio, this translates to a delicious cup

Now take that same bean and pass it through a harsh 9bar extraction and compressed to a beverage of 30ml or less, you're going to get an overwhelming shot of sourness (almost solero or nano-nano) not to mention lower or sweetness and lighter in body

Always remember that acidity is the first and easiest to extract followed by flavor and sugars and finally body (coffee oils etc)

I will extend the roast time and end temp to mellow down the acidity and develop more complex sugars for espresso. Also means that most of the time you will get different taste from filter/espresso even on the same bean

Ok, go ahead and debate this  smile.gif
Wow enlightening!
eohl79
post Apr 29 2017, 07:21 AM

3 posts

A weenie bit better...

Attached Image
eohl79
post Apr 29 2017, 09:41 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 29 2017, 09:36 AM)
biggrin.gif

Much better mixing... now your brown isn't patchy like before...but it looks a bit strange like too thick...not sure if it's because your crema too foamy or you stretch too much...try to investigate this, but otherwise great job there...
Something wrong with my current batch of Farmhouse milk... a bit lumpy after steaming, got some big bubbles even after swirling in the pitcher. Taste and flavour ok though. About 2 weeks old. Never had it on my previous purchase. Let me go buy some newer ones.

Eh but also did a full machine descale recently...

This post has been edited by eohl79: Apr 29 2017, 09:43 AM
eohl79
post Apr 29 2017, 10:59 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(alucard_my @ Apr 29 2017, 09:47 AM)
Morning. At the background Breville BES-920XL. And the grinder? Breville smart grinder. It worked well in producing pretty uniform grinds...
Wow very nice! Almost have similar setup but.... cleaning the grinder is a PITA haha

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 29 2017, 10:45 AM)
Its turning to yogurt/cheese... biggrin.gif  ...still can be used but not for latte... just make sure it doesn't stink then you got bad bugs in it...

One crappy pour from this am...
user posted image
Ah damn... cheese

Still nice pour though

eohl79
post May 11 2017, 03:35 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(dominicpcl @ May 5 2017, 07:16 PM)
Hi, I'm a newbie. Bought myself a delonghi ec680 last christmas and modded the frother wand 2 weeks ago.
Still struggling with latte art. Please give me some pointers based on my latte art.
I want to get grinder (hand grind/auto) but on tight budget of RM400 and below.
My friend recommended hario skerton. I want to seek for other recommendations from all the sifus here.
Please help~
Wow... may I ask what mods did you do besides frother wand? You convert ur Delonghi pressurised basket to single wall?

I used to have the Delonghi Icona last year... used Porlex hand grinder for all my espresso shots. Was ok as using pressurized basket. But shot taste/flavour so so la. Ok with regular beans though.
eohl79
post Jul 13 2020, 09:44 PM

3 posts

Anyone knows a source for Baratza Sette 270 gearbox spare part unit? Need to replace my machine’s external burr ring as it is worn. Double shimmed already, coarse grind setting is already at 3 and producing too much fines/powder at this point. I do have the replacement center burr but that alone isn't enough. Checked PPP, Singapore and a few online websites - all don't have it. Asked Baratza US tech support and they referred me to the Indonesia importer which had parts in stock but unfortunately they do not ship to Malaysia.

Also, was looking at a replacement primary grinder in the range of rm2 to rm4k. Was looking at conical burr Niche Zero, flat burr Mignon Specialita and Atom 65mm. Any users here? Looking for consistency and something durable with good after sales service/spare parts. Usually do 2 cups in the morning and 4 cups at night for home use. Baratza after sales and service now seems crippled after the onslaught of Covid19...
eohl79
post Jul 14 2020, 01:58 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Jul 14 2020, 11:53 AM)
niche zero too new no idea on reliability... commercial class equipment usually very durable... but yeah spending >5k you want a good standing company to back it up

baratza is cheaply made I usually ask ppl to avoid...
Yeah despite some of the “good” reviews on Niche Zero, there isn't a track record for both company and their product. Imo it is a really expensive featureless Single dosing grinder. Sette also had rave reviews when it was new but later had reliability issues a year down the road. Baratza did have parts and made their units very serviceable though. Just that I have a feeling Pulp MY/SG not importing/supporting Baratza anymore.

Anyway, finally found my Baratza Sette spare parts from Stella-M Singapore:
https://stellar-m.com/
eohl79
post Jul 14 2020, 02:31 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(pierreye @ Jul 14 2020, 02:11 PM)
I own the niche zero for less than 3 months so can't said about reliability. So far in home barista forum, those already own the unit for around 2 years didn't really have any major problem with the mechanical parts. Only few initially had some drifting issue and sweeper arm which are resolved easily. So far no one ever mention the plastic gearing problem and hard bean that stall the motor doesn't strip the gear. So far my grind very consistent and no drifting for the past few months. Just weight and grind. No cleaning up to do after that. In fact I like Niche Zero simplicity and don't have to worry about any electronics stuff. It does only one thing and do it good.
Mind sharing:
1. Do you use the NZ for pour over, espresso or both?
2. What kind of beans do you grind? Light, medium or dark roast? High altitude hard beans?
eohl79
post Jul 15 2020, 09:14 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(pierreye @ Jul 15 2020, 08:28 AM)
I done some research on Niche Zero before purchase and I think the design discussion is buried in Home Barista  or CoffeeUK forum. It's using DC motor stepping down the speed to around 330 rpm using planetary gear. This also increase the torque like using lower gear in the car.

Found the review here:
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/wp-content/up...zero-review.pdf
Thanks for the insight on NZ!

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0324sec    1.03    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 12th August 2020 - 12:14 AM