Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

calapia
post Jan 1 2018, 04:18 PM

On my way
683 posts

hi hi for espresso machine owner... wanna ask where do u get ur group head cleaning tablet and descaler?
calapia
post Mar 29 2019, 04:39 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Mar 29 2019, 12:39 PM)
Breville DB user here.

So, being a working dad of 3 (including an infant), ferrying them to school and back, doing all the house chores on our own (without any domestic helpers or parent's help), with only 4-5 hours sleep in total everyday, time to me is very crucial.

But, I will never let that 10 minutes of Coffee Prep time stop me from making that cup of coffee to super-charge the day! The quality of the cup matters too, that's why I chose fresh over pods, and choosing to brew my own instead of paying for coffee bots (conveniently located below my office building).

If you can spare just 10 minutes a day (inclusive of starting up the machine, weight/grind/tamp, put portafilter back into the grouphead, press 1/2 cups, rush to the fridge, pour fresh milk into pitcher, put in the thermometer - by this time espresso should be ready, flush the steam wand, steam the milk, wipe the steam wand, wash the thermometer, bump and swirl milk, pour milk skillfully into espresso hoping for some good art, [Coffee is done], take out the portafilter, flush the group head, dump espresso cake, rinse the portafilter and filter basket along with the pitcher, dry them up, brush the group head, wipe off remaining water off the machine). That is as compact as I can pack into my 10 minutes before getting the kids ready for school.

It is worth it!
hehe i am so like u.....it won't take long. plus i wash it also which like couple minutes extra... nothing beat own made good cuppa coffee... plus if u prefer a black, time got shorten also...
calapia
post Sep 8 2019, 09:21 PM

On my way
683 posts

Sorry hijack this post. I just got myself a new baratza encore last monday but found I can't tune much for my espresso making.... i tune till lowest but can't seems to match some bean. so thinking of wanna let go with a tiny bit off since I use like few times only. PM me for serious buyer.
calapia
post Sep 9 2019, 09:47 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Sep 9 2019, 06:21 AM)
Hmmm. Have you tried recalibrating the grinder? Can you share more details about the issue? The Encore is a tried and tested grinder, and can usually dial in an espresso, although may not be ideal.

What espresso machine are you using?

What beans are you having trouble with? Some beans just don't do well, for espresso especially.
Ya I was thinking to recalibrate it but this would mean losing default setting and not sure if this void any warranty. I ll google it out. If I found no seller then I ll recalibrate. Yesterday just found videos on such tutorial. I m using medium dark bean. Fresh one. It come out watery though I put hard tamp. I m breville user but using non pressurized porta.
calapia
post Sep 9 2019, 01:05 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Sep 9 2019, 11:24 AM)
Quite sure recalibration doesn't void the warranty. Generally if there are any non-user serviceable parts, the screws are covered with a security sticker. Don't worry about default settings; many grinders don't have any specific factory calibration per se.

If you are confident the beans are good, you can try a lighter tamp. Sometimes trying too much pressure causes channeling. The main purpose is to a level and consistently packed puck.

What's your dose weight?
I use 18gm.. but this time I try 22gm... to me the grind ouput looks medium fine... will try to recalibrate it since it wont void warranty. At least few more level to tune for espresso after recalibrate. Mini project...
calapia
post Sep 9 2019, 07:46 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Sep 9 2019, 01:16 PM)
At 18gm does the puck touch the shower screen when you lock the portafilter? You can check by locking locking it and immediately unlocking it. Ideally there should be no disruption in the puck.

How about after pulling the shot? Ideally there should only be a minimal indentation from the shower screen screwhead, and the puck should not stick onto the shower screen.
QUOTE(dwRK @ Sep 9 2019, 03:19 PM)
Yeah... and grind as fine until you can choke the machine... then work backwards...imho easier this way to fine tune
I must say baratza is good to let u do calibration.... in fact I found many online guide and some even offer upgrade by changing parts.. I did it already and yup it work and I can live with it.... now at setting 4 I can get good espresso ground..
calapia
post Jan 22 2020, 09:21 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(shaniandras2787 @ Jan 18 2020, 12:20 PM)
Ahh... fresh insight. I always thought that Starbucks would mess up less since they would have a more properly controlled roasting procedure as compared to sole-props.

I'll probably try a pack from the recommended suppliers and see how it fair (once i've run down my current supply, of course).

Speaking of which, just to survey. How much gram do you guys consume in a week - just needed a point to benchmark whether i'm consuming "normal" amounts.
like other forumer said try get fresh roasted one. you can get online and if you are skeptical about it then go to their shop. quite a few coffee cafe roast their own bean but don't really sell online...

some brand if you are in KL
PPP
NISY
103Coffee
VCR
RaFt
calapia
post Feb 18 2020, 10:41 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(highbury1913 @ Feb 13 2020, 09:05 PM)
Hey guys,

Getting into espresso making. Will be buying a Breville Bambino Plus soon. Anyone can recommend a grinder to go along with it? Thinking of getting the Breville Dose Control Pro.

I drink mostly Americano with the occasional Cappuccino.
QUOTE(Cloud2322 @ Feb 17 2020, 04:39 PM)
Looks like a good machine, but for that price point you could go for gaggia classic then modify the steam wand with a rancilio steam wand.

As for grinder, I'd suggest you invest a little bit more. Go for Sette 270 which is about RM1,900 more future proof
i would suggest to take advice from Cloud2322. i am BES870 owner and i have tried play around with bambino also at shop... it is a great machine with great steam wand but lack the weight....what i mean lack the weight is the usability of putting in and taking out the portafilter will be a hassle because the machine is light weight so you need to hold the machine to take out or put in the portafilter. then u will need extra grinder like Cloud2322 said... Sette 270 is a good one....

if you are budget conscious then get BES870 as start with everything in... else if got extra budget like Cloud2322 suggest get a good grinder.. sette will do a better job than breville dose control pro because sette is an espresso grinder... generally a large range grinder (means cover from coarse for filter coffee till espresso fine size) offer limited range for espresso dial.. espresso grinder is good if u stick to espresso only...
for the entry level espresso machine,.. try gaggia or rancilio. both using commercial size portafilter 58mm and personally i would prefer rancilio silvia .. it takes a bit to learn but its fun if u love espresso... u can google and read the review....

for sette official distributor is pppcoffee shop in bangsar...
for rancilio...official distributor is boncafe
for gaggia...i dunno.. tongue.gif

so far one thing to note.... you will see people/sales said... rancilio or gaggia those hand made la, from italy la etc etc.... which you won't find in normal harvey normal shop like breville.... so wats the diff... breville i understand is china mass made hence the cheaper price... and rancilio or gaggia probably really italy made... price wise... sure rancilio and gaggia more expensive cause you need to "invest" in another grinder.... but espresso wise.... both machines able to produce excellent espresso... i am in my third year probably fourth year using bes870...so far no issue. i make a dual shot espresso per day every day....

calapia
post Feb 18 2020, 10:44 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(Cloud2322 @ Feb 17 2020, 04:45 PM)
Sounds good!

Did you upgraded your oscar with opv kit?

I own a oscar 2 and eureka mignon, same setting bro.  rclxm9.gif

Thing is what do you want to know about coffee? More in-depth into crops and the bean processes?

The origin of coffee > Types of Crops > Types of Beans > Coffee Picking > Type of Processes > Roasting > Brewing > Tasting

That's the basic of it.
wah.... oscar 2 n eureka....i almost going into the rabbit hole to spend 10k on machine upgrades..... lucky my wife hold me out....... hahaha...
need to psycho myself a bit to hold out.... biggrin.gif
calapia
post Feb 25 2020, 11:01 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(klaatu08 @ Feb 24 2020, 04:40 PM)
Hi guy,

the following 4 expresso machines:-

Fully auto
- Saeco Lirika Standard
- De'longhi Authentica

Semi auto
- Breville Barista Pro
- Breville Barista Touch

Which one would you suggest for a 1st timer and why?

thank you
fully auto is one press done.... but if fully auto why not those capsule ? generally fully auto quite pricey but easy to use. quality wise... depend on ppl la..those coffee lover usually avoid fully auto..

semi auto is depend if you have time and passion for it... cause it takes time for the whole process (from grind to espresso to latte to wash ur stuff) to get your nice cup of coffee... quality wise...is good....

most ppl regret buying semi is the hassle..... they just want coffee... and simple to make...tats it... so depend on your liking

calapia
post Feb 28 2020, 09:53 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(klaatu08 @ Feb 25 2020, 11:23 AM)
I have tried the capsule coffee at my office, I prefer no capsule.

Currently, I have to measure coffee bean, grind, get some hot water and brew... it is almost the same as the semi-auto.  smile.gif

Initially, I only shortlisted the Breville Barista Pro and Breville Barista Touch, then I found the Saeco Lirika Standard and Delonghi Authentica where the price is between the Breville Barista Pro and Breville Barista Touch. And yes, fully auto is much more convenient which is one touch.

thank you for your input
i think the only downside with fully auto is the ability to customize e.g grind size, time and temperature... its one press and done.... semi auto, generally requires you to tweak a bit with every new bean (if you are changing everytime). for me, i got my bean from online and offline and various roaster. so each time new bean i ll need to tweak the grind size to get the optimum output... will get it right eventually after one or 2 espresso...
from the way u explain...semi auto is minus off the hot water part. the rest remains the same. measure, grind, tamp and time the extract. i usually dose 18g and 36g output as close as possible in 30 seconds

QUOTE(SticH @ Feb 25 2020, 01:33 PM)
where do you guys normally get your beans from?
online n offline. for me beanshipper, nisy, 103coffee, ppp, havent try perk though...
calapia
post Mar 2 2020, 01:46 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(reinloch @ Mar 2 2020, 01:33 PM)
Hi all, first time posting here.

I am currently considering which grinder to purchase for espresso. Anyone know where I can get a Compak K3 here and what is the estimated price? Thanks.
you can try https://collective.com.my/17-grinders

calapia
post Mar 5 2020, 03:28 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(reinloch @ Mar 4 2020, 07:01 PM)
Had a look at the Compak K3 Touch Advanced. The demo unit was not able to grind espresso fine until the top part was unscrewed and some cleaning was done and the burr recalibrated. Seems like I might run into this problem in the future if I buy this model. Anyone have used this model before and can share your experience? Much appreciated.
hm...i m not compak owner but a simple breville all in one owner. so far all grinder i know need maintenance after a while... e.g cleaning... i did clean mine as well... and even recalibrated mine. i recalibrated encore also....
calapia
post Mar 25 2020, 12:54 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(MyHobby @ Mar 24 2020, 06:52 PM)
First brew using the new portafilter basket...

Physical differences between the new and old portafilter
Old with truncated and new with straight wall.
Old can't really fit more than 20g, while the new old can hold up to 22g.

With no other changes made, the brew time changed from 27s to 21s. The "Marmite" I mean espresso :-) tasted a bit more sour, as expected... The rule of shorter brew sour x longer brew bitter applies herr. It's not really sour but can still taste a bit of sourness.
With that, I have a chance to grind the beans finer. To me, by theory finer grinding should give a stronger taste and more flavour, but am not sure. Anyone can share your opinion?

Nothing to show on the espresso. Here's the Latte from the same brew.

user posted image
i thought the rule is always the amount of grind u use (means how many gm), extraction time vs the standard double shot 30 seconds as reference?
18gm espresso to yield 36gm output in 30 seconds. this is regardless of grind size
calapia
post Dec 6 2021, 02:20 PM

On my way
683 posts

hello fellow coffee lover... been trying different bean for my espresso from different roaster for few years and only now i thought why not test SOL since so many ppl give good review and the price is consider cheaper. So i bought a pack Single Origin ( Ethiopia Haile G1 ) and they score it 90+.
they pack fast and ship fast also. when i receive the pack, its fresh roasted based on the printed dates. the main difference i notice is....there is no fresh coffee aroma unlike all of my previous purchase.. even after i open it, it doesn't have those nice coffee aroma.. is this normal ? or for medium roast it doesn't have such aroma? i bought medium roast from other roaster before and it smell good.... but this...no smell.. is smell a good indicator of bean freshness?

i did pull my espresso.... and it does manage to give me a good joe with lesser kick (i switch from dark to this medium)

SOL
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Pro...10394637114141/
calapia
post Dec 6 2021, 03:20 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Dec 6 2021, 02:41 PM)
Ummm...well some beans do have lighter aroma than others, although if it's fresh and well packed, it should still be clearly noticeable.

I guess if you are good with the brew, then should be good overall.
yea exactly on point.. i was like smelling like a rat hunting for the aroma when i got the box... but tarak coffee smell...
calapia
post Jan 5 2022, 10:05 AM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(akay877 @ Dec 28 2021, 08:15 PM)
Ya! I had similar experiences. I'd tried most of their top sales beans and the aroma is not overwhelming compared to other roasters (Previously my go to roaster was JWC, BEAM and Aitch but too exp to use as regular  laugh.gif ). But the shots was okay, no hint of stale / not freshly roasted coffee. Having a look at their beans, I would've guess they use less exp green coffee? Maybe?  confused.gif

But still gonna be my go to roaster for now.. You can't beat the price man...
hm... true true true.... those jwc, beam and others quite pricey at times ..rm50 or more for 250gm. i agree some will say quality beans with quality roast with meticulous effort and precision... and yes i had those and it does taste and smell great....
so ya! i am kinda mix and match. if there is good offer from platform, i ll maybe buy 1 or 2 else i ll hunt the cheaper one. so far abeans and 103 roastery have good deal also for big pack 1kg. now try other like SOL or even sin boon kee (SBK) lol.. last xmas sprezzaturacoffee have buy 1 foc 1 deal also...bought few as well.
calapia
post Apr 18 2022, 03:21 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(hwh1 @ Mar 28 2022, 08:16 PM)
Backflushed grmilai 3605 and the portafilter holder was burst and broken. Hmm.  Did it by watching YouTube. Not sure how it burst due to the pressure.Just got this machine 1 week ago sad.gif

Any suggestion where to fix this?

user posted image

user posted image

bring back to the shop u purchase for warranty? backflush should be quite standard maintenance and should not break the machine afaik.... and machine should be able to withstand the pressure also...
calapia
post Oct 18 2022, 02:17 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(serigala @ Oct 7 2022, 11:15 AM)
at last,some free time for me..been quite bz helping my partner in preparing for his Aeropress competition. thx god he managed to get 2nd place

for today..i,m doing an experiment.

Bentwood 63 vertical coffee Grinder VS DF64 with 64mm SSP MP burss
a RM14k grinder VS RM2k grinder
will be measuring the extraction yield and sugar content(Brix %) on each espresso
for now i will go for 20gm in,30-32gm out in 27-30 sec. Temperature will be set at 93c.
will be using medium roasted Single Origin Guatemala antigua Washed process. Roasted by Port Coffee Roastery 3 weeks ago.
hmm.gif camping on ur test result...kekeke been hearing the DF64... and now good you doing comparison..
calapia
post May 11 2023, 01:31 PM

On my way
683 posts

there is a video by david hoffman comparing Appartamento segment coffee machine. worth to hv a look if you looking at that price segment coffee machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kQ5WqjcU8
Mainly to choose is E61 vs normal one and HX vs boiler or dual boiler..

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2324sec    0.44    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:55 PM