Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

DrLimYG
post May 16 2017, 10:30 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 16 2017, 06:34 PM)
You didn't mention budget...but since you're looking at Bezzera & Rocket... I recommend just go for these class of machines... you won't go wrong. Forget about PID them starter machines. Remember to include at least RM 2k for grinder.
what about Oscar II, perfect choice for beginner based on price vs performance ? but heard the brew head rubber gasket need frequent replacement compared to other HX model..
DrLimYG
post May 17 2017, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 16 2017, 10:49 PM)
Sure...same class of machines...

Rubber gasket will need changing once in awhile depending on usage...typically 1-3 years...newer machines may be using silicone gasket and they last longer...they are not that expensive to replace...

I doubt anyone has changed the gaskets for Oscar II yet...where did you hear this from?
I heard it from one of the reputable dealer for oscar II machine, they also service the machine in house. according to the boss, the original gasket of oscar II is not durable at all, customers with heavy usage need to replace it every 1 to 2 months. the replacement cost is cheap, but the hassles to bring the machine so often to service really headache. Now they offering 3rd party aftermarket gasket for the Oscar II, can last much longer than the original version. You can also google customers' review on oscar II, many complaint on the leaking brew head... but it can be solved easily nevertheless, good news is, the rest of the machine is very hardcore and built to last.

DrLimYG
post May 18 2017, 04:11 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(Bigboyz @ May 16 2017, 02:36 PM)
Actually pid not really necessary for hx. The appartmento definitely more sexy
couldn't agree more the sexy rating especially when Rocket Appartamento meets Eureka Mignon thumbup.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

DrLimYG
post May 18 2017, 04:24 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(dominicpcl @ May 18 2017, 04:16 PM)
Thanks bro~
I'll def try it out, but first.. I need to get myself a reliable scale.
Can consider TANITA KD192 available at Aeon Mid Valley 2nd Floor, directly imported from Jepun. thumbup.gif

DrLimYG
post Aug 9 2017, 09:39 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(locoroco2 @ Aug 9 2017, 07:20 PM)
Sometimes the information in search results could have been outdated and or not being updated to reflect the latest trend or supplier info etc, that's why we tend to ask again hoping new info is available, it's not that we didn't google, just that we r not sure we need to copy and paste the google results here before we ask again the question for more awesome new info in order to prove we did google before we ask again the same question and avoid imprisonment for repeated attempt..
agree! actually whenever we ask the same thing over and over again, there might be someone in the universe possess new information willing to answer the same question again, and then everybody benefited from it! it's a good practice! but in malaysia forum before ask again i suggest to prove innocent by showing search result! cheers! biggrin.gif
DrLimYG
post Aug 17 2017, 11:06 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Aug 17 2017, 10:54 AM)
That's true in a way

From a roaster's viewpoint, if you're ordering 1kg of the same bean, I am definitely OK to provide discount vs when you're ordering in 200g bags
So if you can pool up a group of people and do it as a single order to us, easily achievable

Subcriptions can give you the same benefit but lock you down constantly each month for a fixed time. If anybody bails out in the middle, the organizer has to suck up the extra grams

I anybody's up to organizing and just sending me a single order + single address, I can quote a lower price and even savings from postage  biggrin.gif
Have u ever consider selling your fresh bean thru Lazada? that would be awesome! thumbup.gif
DrLimYG
post Aug 18 2017, 11:35 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(tishaban @ Aug 17 2017, 10:47 PM)
I go through 1kg in about 2+ weeks (about 4 lattes per day) which is not ideal but I've lived with it for the past year or so. The coffee arrives within 1-2 days of roasting so a bit too early, and by the time I finish it, it's past the peak.
The ideal for me would be 500g every week.
QUOTE(SonnyCooL @ Aug 18 2017, 01:25 AM)
wah so much .... i take 4 capo perday, 200 gram last me around 1 week ...... what really costly is i drink 1 ltr milk perday ... tongue.gif
Bro, since you all drink more than 4 cups a day can you confirm this statement : "Coffee could fight off erectile dysfunction..coffee helps unkink penile helicine arteries blood vessels that deliver blood to it.." ? shocking.gif

DrLimYG
post Feb 14 2018, 03:52 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

Anyone using auto dripping machine that does roasting raw beans, follows by grinding, and boiling water, and dripping all automatic?
DrLimYG
post Feb 15 2018, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Feb 14 2018, 04:08 PM)
Wow! Haven't even heard of its existence! Including roasting? Can please point to any available info?
was referring to this one:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

DrLimYG
post Feb 25 2018, 01:42 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Feb 24 2018, 05:25 PM)
lol. I think we have a bunch of Nestle keyboard warriors come and spam this group
the nestle capsule black coffee taste so terribly bitter, really giving coffee a bad impression for first timer who think they getting a good deal rclxub.gif
DrLimYG
post Mar 6 2018, 09:14 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

anyone tried roasting beans using microwave oven? how's the result and settings like?
DrLimYG
post Mar 6 2018, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Mar 6 2018, 09:31 PM)
Hi,
Just tried this milk today.. It tasted a little more creamier than the pink-box variety. This is UHT recombined milk and it froth well and able to hold the microfoam for the whole duration the drink is consumed (~30mins).
The microfoam does have this silky sheen to it.. The pricing is really attractive, even amongst its peers(aka UHT). So for cafe owners or home users who would like to explore cheaper alternatives that won't hurt the pocket/wallet/P&L, you may give this a try.

And it stores(and aged) like UHT too.. 
[attachmentid=9637926]

Am sure the word "Barista" sure catches some attention here.. lol
Where to get this professional pack? Any grocer to recommend?
DrLimYG
post Mar 7 2018, 11:36 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Mar 6 2018, 10:49 PM)
Haven't tried, but really don't think it will work. Won't the microwave heat up the water in the bean first, but only until 100°c? For roasting to hit first crack, you'd need the internal bean temperature to get close to 200°c. At some point when the water evaporates off, the oils may start to heat up, but should be pretty uneven.

Is there any write up saying it will work?
can follow these instructions : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZY5-Vlb5wQ

let's play in office! rclxms.gif
DrLimYG
post Mar 7 2018, 03:37 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Mar 7 2018, 12:09 PM)
My jaw dropped so hard I have a bruise on my chin!

Have to research this more. Just thinking of putting in a metal-based stirrer in an operating microwave oven sends all sorts of alarm bells ringing.

Sorry but looks like a good way to void a microwave oven warranty. If you try it, please share your experience!
my office need a new microwave oven badly, so.... brows.gif
DrLimYG
post Mar 7 2018, 03:54 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Mar 7 2018, 02:29 PM)
I don't think that's really microwave. Looks more like using the convection feature of the microwave
If real microwave mode, metal inside there is a big no no. Don't blow up the house!  sweat.gif  sweat.gif

Also, if you think of how microwaves work (stimulating water molecules), it doesn't really matter so much on stirring anymore since it's cooking inside out rather than outside in
The fact that they need to stir proves that they are providing heat from outside the bean and therefore the need to make it evenly distributed
The microwave oven in the video is panasonic NN-GD692SMPQ, does not offer a convection feature, meaning you can't do oven baking / roasting with it... biggrin.gif I think they need to stir it as the heat generated from each individual beans is not exactly the same, so as to evenly transfer the heat from hotter bean bean to hot bean bean... laugh.gif
DrLimYG
post Mar 7 2018, 04:02 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Mar 6 2018, 10:49 PM)
.... Won't the microwave heat up the water in the bean first, but only until 100°c? For roasting to hit first crack, you'd need the internal bean temperature to get close to 200°c. At some point when the water evaporates off, the oils may start to heat up, but should be pretty uneven.
QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Mar 7 2018, 02:29 PM)
Also, if you think of how microwaves work (stimulating water molecules), it doesn't really matter so much on stirring anymore since it's cooking inside out rather than outside in
The fact that they need to stir proves that they are providing heat from outside the bean and therefore the need to make it evenly distributed
A quote from coffeegeek forum: "coffee roasting is a lot like the principles involved in flavor enhancement achieved in cooking -- browning, toasting, roasting, grilling and concentrating flavors, and especially, caramelization of sugars. All involve the application of heat to reduce moisture and raise the temperature of food above the boiling point of water (way short of burning and charring). Microwave ovens are good at heating the water in food items to the point boiling occurs and the fans in them pull a slight vacuum and speed up moisture loss which at some point the absorption of microwave energy is concentrated to raise the temperature of any oils present (oils actually absorb microwave energy better than water) and achieve the higher heat associated with flavor enhancement. "
DrLimYG
post Mar 7 2018, 04:18 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Mar 7 2018, 12:09 PM)
Sorry but looks like a good way to void a microwave oven warranty. If you try it, please share your experience!
QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Mar 7 2018, 04:09 PM)
I have no doubt microwave can heat up the beans...but i still cannot wrap my head around the metal moving parts inside a running microwave
That's the part that makes me doubt if it really was microwave at all....

Unless no metal is used?
I have read about someone experience from decade ago, here's the quote:

"Using a small amount of beans and only 700 watts wasn't all that bad. I've done one pound with a 1200 watt oven and went to 20+ min. with a good stir about every 3 min. (I'd guess the stir time pauses would stretch the roast a bit and I'm of the, 20+ min...).

Like in other roasting methods, you need to pay attention to time and temperature, or at least be good at bean color and oil sheen. I don't really know, but it seems like microwaves roast coffee beans fairly evenly throughout the entire bean. Of course towards the end, even more so than other kinds of roasting, things heat up very fast and maybe the trick is to be very observant and pull the beans a minute or so before the color profile you're after, which is a little more critical I'd say than other methods. With high power microwave ovens, remember, fire is just around the corner! More reason to be outdoors with an electrical fire extinguisher at the ready, too! "

i think need to source for a good portable fire extinguisher first...

DrLimYG
post Mar 30 2018, 04:02 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(luvox @ Mar 26 2018, 06:04 PM)
Where is this place?
there u go https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2...ffed-by-robots/ thumbsup.gif
DrLimYG
post Mar 30 2018, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

What is your favourite cafe in klang valley (specific branch) and why? pls recommend one!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2394sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:04 AM