Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

CallMeGucci
post Jan 10 2016, 06:29 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

What thermometer do you guys use? Can anyone recommend any?
CallMeGucci
post Jan 11 2016, 08:25 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Jan 10 2016, 06:37 PM)
RM10 thermometer from China gotten off Ebay. A little slow but works well enough for water temps
Are you using it for water or milk?
Water. Are you sure those cheap thermometers are accurate? From what i have heard, even the cheap IKEA water thermometer are horribly inaccurate. Btw i'm currently using my meat thermometer that cost around RM80 but i'm afraid of ruining it.

This post has been edited by CallMeGucci: Jan 11 2016, 08:26 PM
CallMeGucci
post Jan 18 2016, 09:41 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

Hey i've recently wanted to try some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans. Anybody can recommend me a good local roaster of this variety?
CallMeGucci
post May 10 2016, 09:59 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

Hey, can anyone explain how Auresso works? Is the "3 bags monthly" subscription a bag a month or 3 bags at one go? And is there shipping fees?
CallMeGucci
post May 11 2016, 03:13 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ May 11 2016, 12:57 PM)
Haven't tried them before, but from what I read, they send you 3 bags of (250/1kg) beans at one go, either at a Monthly or forthnightly basis.
So if you chose monthly, it will probably charge your Credit Card RM 160/140 every month, and send the 3 bags of beans on a monthly basis (all 3 bags in 1 delivery). NEXT FRESH COFFEE DELIVERY: JUN-02-2016.

Seems a bit pricey to me though, 750g for RM 160, though they do come all the way from Aus.
They don't clearly state it on their website though, so it is confusing for some of us. But when i went to their order page, it seems like you have to comment what beans you want before confirming your purchase, where it seems like your are only paying for the 3 bags. There are no indications that they will auto charge you, and if they do, there seems to be a flaw where you can't change the beans you want since there is no option for that. It comes down to about RM53 per bag, which isn't so expensive considering the current prices of local beans, unless you know of any roasters selling at a much cheaper price.

But what i'm really contemplating is that if you just buy 1kg of one type of bean, the price comes down to RM31 for 250g which is really cheap, only problem is that i consume about 250g in one or two weeks meaning the beans will be sitting for too long. But if they really do send 3 bags at a time, I might just get the 1kg bag instead.

QUOTE(lowkl @ May 11 2016, 01:11 PM)
Best to check with them. If they do indeed send the three bags in one go, then they are not selling a subscription at all. What would be the difference between that and an outright sale?
I have tried enquiring with them but am till waiting for a reply after 2 days, really poor service on their part.

This post has been edited by CallMeGucci: May 11 2016, 03:18 PM
CallMeGucci
post Jun 21 2016, 11:31 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

Hey guys i have a question that has been bothering me for a while now. Why does the coffee to water ration differ between brew methods?

For example, a french press might use 1:10 coffee to water ratio while filter tends to be 1:16 and espresso 1:2. Why is that? Isn't there a sweet spot for extraction, around 20%? And is the caffeine content in all the methods the same, assuming the same amount of ground is used?
CallMeGucci
post Jun 24 2016, 12:37 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(Dan430 @ Jun 22 2016, 06:29 AM)
Very good question!! you can call it the sweet spot of extraction for each different method is different in terms of variables (Pressure or gravity or manual brewing) also do remember the grind size as well. different method brings out different characteristic of the coffee.

Hope it helps but i don't think i help?  rclxs0.gif anyway just enjoy coffee the way you like it!! drool.gif  i always like to taste what the roaster taste notes are!! and thats my indication of how good a roaster is in duplicating each bag of beans!  rclxm9.gif
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't grind size, pressure and temperature affect extraction while water to coffee ratio affects the strength?

And yeah i know i should just do whatever taste the best to me but i am really curious about the science behind it all.

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jun 22 2016, 01:41 PM)
The problem with that comparison in the link is that it doesn't state the amount of ground coffee used. I am more interested to know if different brew methods contain the same amount of caffeine if the same amount of grounds are used.
CallMeGucci
post Apr 19 2017, 05:13 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(Crux_soon @ Apr 18 2017, 07:10 PM)
Anyone had any bad experiences with the Hario Mini Mill Slim hand grinder? The first unit I had the handle got stuck to the top nut, and my second unit the burrs got stuck together after only 2 months of use. I'm not sure if it's common for all these issues or am I just lucky enough to get two problematic units.
Other than the common problem of the bolt stripping at the top (which I promptly fixed), this grinder has been good to me especially after spending many attempts modding it. What do you mean by stuck together? Try closely inspecting the burrs individually? Any signs of deformation on the burrs themselves?
CallMeGucci
post Apr 22 2017, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(Crux_soon @ Apr 22 2017, 01:35 PM)
The spring is still there. I think I've found out what the problem was, the lower burr has a plastic core with two grooves that allow it to go through the shaft. I think the shaft's two 'extensions' must have screwed into the core, thus making it stuck. Problem found but can't be fixed I guess. :/ This is my second unit so I'm a little bit more wary on the hario mini mill now. It's been a rather bumpy experience since I've just started this coffee journey not too long ago.

Any ideas where to get Porlex at a good price?
I've actually heard of someone with the same problem you described. Does the mini mill come with a warranty? What beans were you grinding when it happened? It could be that the beans were too hard for the grinder. I wouldn't suggest getting a porlex actually. How do you prefer to brew your coffee?
CallMeGucci
post Apr 25 2017, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(frozen7 @ Apr 24 2017, 10:08 PM)
Wow. Thanks for your comments. I didn't thought of those you have pointed out.  rclxms.gif
I guess i will give it a try on Aeropress first. Perhaps get some hand on feel before purchasing.
Is this a good buy? Aeropress
I second the notion that Aeropress is the more versatile option. I actually own all three of the brewing devices you mentioned and often found myself using the pour over method the most. However, you should note that if you really love the body of a Vietnamese style coffee, the Moka or the french press will please you a lot better. Also, the Hario grinder that you mentioned is fantastic for a beginner but it quickly leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention some users have run into problems with its built quality. If I could start all over again, I would have invested in a good grinder from the start and not have to worry about upgrading, especially since grinder matters far more than the brewing method. That Aeropress is a good price, but it's often cheaper overseas, ie I got mine from Australia for AUD50 back when the exchange rate was 3:1.

Btw if you ever want to get a Moka pot, I do have one brand new 6 cup Bialetti, just note that '6 cup' really means '6 shots' or just 180ml of coffee.
CallMeGucci
post Apr 26 2017, 12:48 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(frozen7 @ Apr 25 2017, 06:32 PM)
May i ask if which one is more suitable for beginner since you have tried most of the brewing devices? Pour over method supposed to require more skill right?
The term suitability for beginners can be broken down into:
1) The ease of use.
The Aeropress takes this easily. It is easy to clean and incredibly hard to mess up, the forgiving nature of it is well documented. It is also the first real coffee maker I bought but come to think of it, I was using a Vietnamese Phin filter before getting it tongue.gif The pour over is very sensitive to grind size and consistency, as well as the importance of technique in pouring (which will most likely include getting a proper gooseneck kettle). The Moka is probably the hardest of the 3, requiring more attention and maintenance than the rest. The strongest reason to choose the Aeropress for beginners is that most would have an entry level grinder which pairs well with the grind size forgiving Aeropress.

2) The "teachability"
Brewing is very much a scientific and experimental process. Being able to understand the relationships between particle size, water temperature, turbulence, brew time etc. is important if you want to develop solid fundamentals. Again the Aeropress comes out top here. Being able to vary every single factor above independently makes it an amazing learning device. You'll be able to experiment with hot boiling water to 79 degrees water; from 1 min espresso grind brews to 15 min long brews. The pour over doesn't leave much room for experimentation other than through different pouring techniques. The Moka only allows you to experiment with a small range of grind size (as too fine will choke it and too coarse will be undrinkable) and the temperature of the water you start with.

In conclusion, the Aeropress is hands down the most suitable for beginners. But the pour over and Moka are also fantastic and there are people who swear by those. I find those to be more speciality brewing methods. But since I tend to prefer the clarity of Single Origins, I use my v60 the most. The Moka can only make concentrated and deep-bodied coffee, so imo is the least suitable for beginners unless that's the only thing you want to drink.

CallMeGucci
post Apr 26 2017, 10:42 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Apr 26 2017, 06:12 AM)
Just spoke to my neighbour about brewing methods and for their preferences and requirements i was thinking French Press. However, i was stuck when thinking of a good reasonably cheap grinder that pairs well. Most hand grinders do badly for coarse grind, right? Blade way too inconsistent.....

Not more than a few hundred ringgit please.
A few hundred is quite a large range tbf. But used Baratza Encore or a Lido should do it.

This post has been edited by CallMeGucci: Apr 26 2017, 10:43 PM
CallMeGucci
post Apr 27 2017, 09:52 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(junsuke @ Apr 27 2017, 04:37 PM)
Hi everyone,

I'm also considering on getting a grinder for pourover. I'm currently using a hario mini mill, but I'm constantly getting a lot of fines.

Have thought of upgrading. Anyone of you have any ideas between the Akira electric grinder, commandante hand grinder or precision hand ground?

Initially wanted to save up for the baratza sette, but reviews said it's not as good for filter as it is for espresso
Have you done the mods for the mini mill? At this budget, a hand grinder offers a much better value for the money. Also, will you ever upgrade to espresso in the near future? If yes, then it would be wiser to invest in a grinder that can do both.
CallMeGucci
post Apr 29 2017, 12:10 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(junsuke @ Apr 28 2017, 01:10 AM)
Hi there. Yeah I've already done the tape mod to the mini mill. It did reduce the fines... but nevertheless the fines are really affecting the cup.

I don't think I'll be going towards espresso so soon. Hence looking at the Akira or Comandante or precision.
At that budget I would recommend the Lido instead. There's no real point getting the akira or handground when for a few hundred more you can get something 10x better. And the greatest thing about it is the grind rate of 1g/second; which coming from a Hario, will cause you to slap yourself for not getting it sooner.
CallMeGucci
post Apr 29 2017, 07:05 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(junsuke @ Apr 29 2017, 06:07 PM)
Alright. Which Lido grinder are you referring to? How about the commandante? Heard that the uniformity of grinds is better than most like the lido.
Most Lidos are basically the same, except for the folding handle and finer adjustments, just go with whichever you can find in stock. The commandante made a huge mess in their initial release with quality control and left a bad taste in the mouth for most. Their customer service is also similar to Madebyknock and isn't really responsive. Another thing to note is the that they're harder to find and grinds slower than the lido. Another interesting project is the Helor 101 which is highly praised on HB. It's crafted from a single block of aluminium so technically there shouldn't be alignment issues.
CallMeGucci
post May 2 2017, 04:19 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(junsuke @ Apr 29 2017, 11:29 PM)
Okay thanks so much 😊 Do you perhaps have any idea where to get the lido or helor in malaysia? The ones which I can find are all from Singapore though.

Also have you personally tried either one?
Don't think anyone stocks it in Msia. You can get it from overseas. http://shop.shellgoatcoffee.com/shop/oe-li...coffee-grinder/ To get a quote for shipping to Malaysia, you have to email them.
I haven't tried either but plan to get the Helor soon and then maybe the Lido when I'm overseas.
CallMeGucci
post May 4 2017, 10:22 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(junsuke @ May 2 2017, 11:37 PM)
Have dropped them an email 😂 Saw another one by otten coffee in Indonesia.

Hmm maybe if you intend to get one, we could split the shipping and get one each?
Drop me a pm once you get a quote from them!
CallMeGucci
post Dec 20 2019, 12:03 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

Question for the espresso sifus: with a machine without preinfusion capabilities, am I supposed to time my shot from the second I pull the shot or should I shave off a few seconds to account for pre-infusion?
CallMeGucci
post Dec 20 2019, 10:07 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Dec 20 2019, 12:45 PM)
While I don't encourage using time as measurement about the quality of the shot, time is still a decent measurement stick for consistency.
I would time it from the point you start the shot from the button press/lever pull
Ah, I see. What would you recommend instead? I usually use a combination of weight and time to pull my shot but I've also heard that people use visual cues to know when to stop extracting.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2144sec    0.86    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th July 2021 - 12:13 PM