> Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

faiz293
post Jun 14 2021, 10:33 AM

Working from Home
593 posts

QUOTE(luvox @ Jun 12 2021, 03:27 PM)
[attachmentid=10908724][attachmentid=10908725]

Not bad, cheap & fresh bean. Ordered from shopee rm 29 for 500 gram include delivery fees. Sol coffee. I used to buy from beanshiper n found out fresh roasted bean much more cheaper at shopee. Can pull more coffee for frens
Drinking SOL until i tried milkyway and never went back.

SOL's is good taste, but somehow I still need to add sugar to bring up the taste. With milkyway, no sugar needed. BTW, i drink latte.
lowkl
post Jun 14 2021, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(imceobichi @ Jun 13 2021, 02:24 PM)
I don’t know about lowyat buddies

Many seem to be a fan of flair

It is a manual machine and can’t steam milk

Costing more than Rm1k

I rather go for a gemilai less than rm700 and whack the machine gao gao
Perhaps there legitimate reasons why there are so many avid fans of the Flair (I'm among them).

IMHO the main focus of an espresso maker should be on making espresso. In this respect the Flair excels. The ability to adjust pressure not just once, not just for each shot, but throughout each shot (known as pressure profiling) can only be found in machines costing multiple times as much. It is also portable and silent in operation. Once you have got your workflow optimised, it takes less than 10 minutes to pull a shot, from the moment you step into the kitchen and fill your kettle, to when you are sipping your beautifully crafted drink.

The importance of being able to steam milk really depends on you. With very good beans, roasted to your preference it may be preferable not to hide the full flavour profile by drowning it in cow juice.
CoffeeDude
post Jun 14 2021, 10:45 AM

Regular
1,335 posts

QUOTE(luvox @ Jun 12 2021, 03:27 PM)
[attachmentid=10908724][attachmentid=10908725]

Not bad, cheap & fresh bean. Ordered from shopee rm 29 for 500 gram include delivery fees. Sol coffee. I used to buy from beanshiper n found out fresh roasted bean much more cheaper at shopee. Can pull more coffee for frens
This Sol Coffee Roastery is very strange hmm.gif
Roasted coffee is cheaper than raw beans rclxub.gif

Roasted coffee 500g @ RM30
https://shopee.com.my/Single-Origin-(COLOMB...4544.5736983235

Raw coffee 500g @ RM35.90
https://shopee.com.my/100-ARABICA-Green-Cof...4544.5142972486
ycs
post Jun 14 2021, 10:51 AM

3,297 posts

QUOTE(faiz293 @ Jun 14 2021, 10:33 AM)
Drinking SOL until i tried milkyway and never went back.

SOL's is good taste, but somehow I still need to add sugar to bring up the taste. With milkyway, no sugar needed. BTW, i drink latte.
whats milkyway?
lowkl
post Jun 14 2021, 10:57 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(ycs @ Jun 14 2021, 10:51 AM)
whats milkyway?
user posted image

ycs
post Jun 14 2021, 11:05 AM

3,297 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Jun 14 2021, 10:57 AM)
user posted image
i tot some coffee brand laugh.gif
doppatroll
post Jun 14 2021, 11:07 AM

Enthusiast
877 posts

Is Milesto EM-20 a good espresso machine? Looking to buy one
kmleegwct P
post Jun 14 2021, 11:19 AM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(graphidz @ Jun 14 2021, 10:30 AM)
To each their own I guess? I'd rather take something more hassle but confirm can tahan some abuse than something that's cheaply made.

I'm no hardcore environmentalist, but if the machine broke down not repairable within a few months, that's a total waste and not environmentally friendly
My guess are you are referring to Milesto. You may be correct. There is not much information regarding these machine. Could Lowyat forumers please help to provide more info. icon_question.gif
faiz293
post Jun 14 2021, 11:44 AM

Working from Home
593 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Jun 14 2021, 10:57 AM)
user posted image
QUOTE(ycs @ Jun 14 2021, 11:05 AM)
i tot some coffee brand laugh.gif
Actually where do u guys get your beans from?

You can download the apps called beanshipper, they have a lot of nice beans there, including gesha.

Milkyway is the series from ghostbirdcoffee, its a local roaster.

Here u go, can get it from shopee as well.

https://shopee.com.my/product/136734939/205...49-1623642164.9

If u want other taste, can search for caramel popcorn, sold by JWC.

For espresso, i have a friend that highly recommend pink panther, also from JWC.
air
post Jun 14 2021, 11:44 AM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(imceobichi @ Jun 13 2021, 02:24 PM)
I don’t know about lowyat buddies

Many seem to be a fan of flair

It is a manual machine and can’t steam milk

Costing more than Rm1k

I rather go for a gemilai less than rm700 and whack the machine gao gao
Erm need to point out 2 things:

1. Gemilai which model cost less than RM700? And its thermoblock setup is not even decent to steam the milk properly as in steam volume I heard.
2. If you are serious about steaming milk properly, you will get a specialized milk steamer WPM MS-130T.

No point to bash a manual machine specialized for espresso, for the function they never promise you.

If you are trying to say Gemilai can do things a flair cant, what if I ask you:

1. Does Gemilai thermoblock able to maintain consistent temp on brewhead, during brew and steaming milk continuously? (even WPM K series semi-auto struggles)
2. Can a Gemilai adjust different pressure when doing espresso?
3. Is Gemilai 5KG+ consider portable enough to be move around without damage?

Dont even mention about the ease of cleaning/descaling/maintenance, & long term durability...

Flair Signature with PGK is a great tool for those who want to learn things as in Back2Basic... and of course it can produce very good espresso.
graphidz
post Jun 14 2021, 01:12 PM

F.A.T.E
1,393 posts

QUOTE(kmleegwct @ Jun 14 2021, 11:19 AM)
My guess are you are referring to Milesto. You may be correct. There is not much information regarding these machine. Could Lowyat forumers please help to provide more info. icon_question.gif
You could probably get more information from underground coffee forum or some Chinese forums though
zellleonhart
post Jun 14 2021, 03:18 PM

Stars stars stars
4,935 posts

QUOTE(CoffeeDude @ Jun 14 2021, 10:45 AM)
This Sol Coffee Roastery is very strange hmm.gif
Roasted coffee is cheaper than raw beans rclxub.gif

Roasted coffee 500g @ RM30
https://shopee.com.my/Single-Origin-(COLOMB...4544.5736983235

Raw coffee 500g @ RM35.90
https://shopee.com.my/100-ARABICA-Green-Cof...4544.5142972486
If you dip in the specialty coffee community a bit more, you'll know that not all coffee beans are the same. There are cheap, commodity grade green beans used by supermarket pre-ground brands and also specialty grade beans coming from a specific farm with good quality control; and anything in the middle.

The former costs only RM20-30 per 500g while the latter can costs RM60/200g or even up to RM150/100g depends on the rarity and many other factors.

As far as I know, SOL uses relatively low grade beans compared to other specialty coffee roasters, hence the price. Don't be fooled by their "Single Origin" label. Yes it's still single origin (meaning from a single country/region like Colombia) but it is not a high grade S/O.

The raw/green beans could be a different variant of colombian beens BUT on second thought I think it's also because green beans have less demand in the general consumer market.
raist86
post Jun 16 2021, 02:01 PM

Regular
1,565 posts

QUOTE(zellleonhart @ Jun 14 2021, 03:18 PM)
If you dip in the specialty coffee community a bit more, you'll know that not all coffee beans are the same. There are cheap, commodity grade green beans used by supermarket pre-ground brands and also specialty grade beans coming from a specific farm with good quality control; and anything in the middle.

The former costs only RM20-30 per 500g while the latter can costs RM60/200g or even up to RM150/100g depends on the rarity and many other factors.

As far as I know, SOL uses relatively low grade beans compared to other specialty coffee roasters, hence the price. Don't be fooled by their "Single Origin" label. Yes it's still single origin (meaning from a single country/region like Colombia) but it is not a high grade S/O.

The raw/green beans could be a different variant of colombian beens BUT on second thought I think it's also because green beans have less demand in the general consumer market.
as a roaster myself, i have to agree with what zellleonhart said here... the term S/O can be misleading especially to those who are not familiar. S/O not necessarily means high quality beans just as blends does not necessarily mean low quality commodity beans. It depends on the treatment, process and how anal the roaster wants to be.. I still hand sort my beans prior and after roasting and i also make sure my supplier knows to give me better quality beans. For that case, i actually don't mind paying a little more premium when they are able to pre-screen my beans. There's a big difference with the brew outcome when using 95% whole beans vs unsorted beans (with high majority of undeveloped / damaged green beans). We were like wtf happened during the roast process even though they are from the same roast batch.. haha

so far i just focus on general use beans ( won't say that they are commodity beans as the prices i'm buying from are definitely not cheap)... I feel higher quality specialty beans such as panama geishas etc would be a waste for now.. haha..
Lon3LyJay
post Jun 22 2021, 04:12 PM

39 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

just got this 3D printed.
as mentioned in many youtube and discord coffee (espresso) lover, the 9 needles WDT tools.
link : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4819617

Awaiting acupuncture needle to come far away from China.
anyone interested? because of minimum order, it has to be so many. I'll keep myself one, the other 5 will let go (if the needles can slot in XD)
lowkl
post Jun 22 2021, 04:21 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Lon3LyJay @ Jun 22 2021, 04:12 PM)

Awaiting acupuncture needle to come far away from China.
anyone interested? because of minimum order, it has to be so many. I'll keep myself one, the other 5 will let go (if the needles can slot in XD)
I got my needles locally via Shopee.

Acupuncture needles
Lon3LyJay
post Jun 22 2021, 04:27 PM

39 posts

QUOTE(lowkl @ Jun 22 2021, 04:21 PM)
I got my needles locally via Shopee.

Acupuncture needles
Yea, i have seen this and others in shopee and lazada, but most of it doesn't have 0.40mm x 75.
cause the inventor mentioned 0.4x75mm, so only from china has it... looking forward and hope it fit perfectly XD
daijoubu
post Jun 23 2021, 09:09 PM

Love Many. Trust Few. Do Wrong to None.
5,159 posts

Anyone seen the X Bar? It is Chinese made, and early sold iterations (on Taobao, JD) used to be known as MPXY 11C. Using CO2 cartridges or a manual/auto bike pump as pressure source, with ability to pressure profile. In a way it is similar to the Portaspresso Rossa PG.

Attached Image

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983068...ut_rewards_page

Using the CO2 you can pressure profile. But the concern of course is the cost of replacing those cartridges. I think it is very possible to refill refillable 8g cartridges with CO2 from Sodaxpress bottles (400g refill for RM40). 8g cartridge can last 2-3 shots, so RM40 refill should last you 100-150 shots. If you want to forgo the convenience and portability of the small cartridge, then you can opt to use an auto or manual bar pump, but it may be difficult to profile the pressure as accurately. The creators did say that they are looking to add as an upgradable kit in future an air reservoir that you can charge with a manual pump separately, and use (this sounds again very similar to Portaspresso Rossa PG).

There are several reviews of the production unit on Youtube. Mostly said that the taste is good, but you'll need to manage the thermals with preheating. Another pros is the standard 58mm portafilter compatibility, making this the cheapest entry point for a 58mm portafilter manual espresso machine with ability to pressure profile.

Anyone looking to pledge can use my link and we can share the rebates https://boost.pledgeboost.com/s/jjKS2ZrT

Edit: Adding youtube reviews

This post has been edited by daijoubu: Jun 23 2021, 09:14 PM
dante21
post Jun 24 2021, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

Hi All, hope everyone is doing good. Just bought my second machine upgrade from morphy richards to WPM KD270. Anyone using this? Hope can learn how to fully utilise the machine. Also, any suggestion on grinder below 1.5k. Appreciate your help.
graphidz
post Jun 25 2021, 12:21 AM

F.A.T.E
1,393 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

When I saw a review of this I thought, "it's that simple?". But it does seem like a really cheap way to get into espresso. It's not as hands on as something like the Robot or Flair, but for something more "automated" and easier repeatability, this could be it.

And the idea of a separate pressure reservoir or some sort is something that I wonder why it doesn't exist until now. Hopefully it'll be doable. Is there a variable pressure electric pump?
daijoubu
post Jun 25 2021, 08:23 AM

Love Many. Trust Few. Do Wrong to None.
5,159 posts

QUOTE(graphidz @ Jun 25 2021, 12:21 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

When I saw a review of this I thought, "it's that simple?". But it does seem like a really cheap way to get into espresso. It's not as hands on as something like the Robot or Flair, but for something more "automated" and easier repeatability, this could be it.

And the idea of a separate pressure reservoir or some sort is something that I wonder why it doesn't exist until now. Hopefully it'll be doable. Is there a variable pressure electric pump?
The creators are floating the idea of making the cartridge holder a reservoir of sorts where you can use a pump to fill it up and then you can use the air from there for the shots. Should be similar to how a Rossa PG Air functions.

But a variable pressure electric pump, I think that can be done by putting a regulator in between the pump and the X bar. Not sure how effective it is though.

I still think refilling the refillable CO2 cartridge using a sodaxpress bottle is the easiest method and I most likely will go that route after receiving the item, hopefully in september

347 Pages « < 342 343 344 345 346 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0278sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 3rd August 2021 - 09:29 AM