Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Coffee Lover v.2 Thread, Let's Share!

views

4lt4ir
post Mar 7 2019, 11:32 AM

{--} 7
1,397 posts

QUOTE(Shiitake @ Mar 7 2019, 11:31 AM)
Intro to basic barista skill at Eciatto Academy located in Cheras.
Thank you. Was it expensive? What did you like most about the course?
Shiitake
post Mar 7 2019, 11:35 AM

Forum Troll
1,249 posts

QUOTE(4lt4ir @ Mar 7 2019, 11:32 AM)
Thank you. Was it expensive? What did you like most about the course?
It was RM90, but i joined for two classes including basic latte art with total of RM190
To be honest I don't like the class at all.
Maybe because i attended on Saturday. During that time some big company sent their staffs for training, so it was hard to ask question and practice.

This post has been edited by Shiitake: Mar 7 2019, 11:35 AM
ymeng85
post Mar 7 2019, 12:22 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(ycs @ Mar 7 2019, 10:14 AM)
why dont you upgrade and sell off your rocket? brows.gif
Lol..I wish

A roastery has a lot of other equipment to top up. No budget already haha.

But honestly the Rocket R58 we have is really awesome. We could power through 100+ cups in 3-4hrs just using reservoir tank
The tank placement is also much better than LM as it's non-interrupting. You can continue to pull shots while another person is pouring water from the top

LM has their water tank beneath the drip tray so a much bigger task

Of course in a home setting, that's not a priority. Just get something that you feel for. The quality is already all there once you reach that level so just pick something you enjoy using/looking at daily biggrin.gif
Keng
post Mar 7 2019, 02:33 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(faiz293 @ Mar 7 2019, 10:29 AM)
Thanks! I've opened up the grinder n will find the part later from hardware shop.

I'm sure it will last long. I dont have a high budget since i'm the only person in my whole family who is willing to spend thousands on drinks.
Remember to 'loosen' the grind setting as not to jam it when you switch it on the first time. Then slowly tighten it until you hear the burrs rubbing. Try to adjust the shim until the burrs rubbing is close to 0-value so that you won't accidentally go past this!
Tikietic
post Mar 7 2019, 05:28 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(Keng @ Mar 7 2019, 02:33 PM)
Remember to 'loosen' the grind setting as not to jam it when you switch it on the first time. Then slowly tighten it until you hear the burrs rubbing. Try to adjust the shim until the burrs rubbing is close to 0-value so that you won't accidentally go past this!
Eerrr... When it physically rubs, wouldn't that be too late already?!
Tikietic
post Mar 7 2019, 05:34 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(ymeng85 @ Mar 7 2019, 12:22 PM)
Lol..I wish

A roastery has a lot of other equipment to top up. No budget already haha.

But honestly the Rocket R58 we have is really awesome. We could power through 100+ cups in 3-4hrs just using reservoir tank
The tank placement is also much better than LM as it's non-interrupting. You can continue to pull shots while another person is pouring water from the top

LM has their water tank beneath the drip tray so a much bigger task

Of course in a home setting, that's not a priority. Just get something that you feel for. The quality is already all there once you reach that level so just pick something you enjoy using/looking at daily  biggrin.gif
What's not to love the R58?
- Dual boiler
- Rotary pump
- PID
- e61
- Plumb-able

Used to eyed a similar configured machine by expobar(via taobao) back then.. much cheaper than the rocket..
Keng
post Mar 7 2019, 06:28 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Mar 7 2019, 05:28 PM)
Eerrr... When it physically rubs, wouldn't that be too late already?!
For a short moment its fine coz the contact surface that are touching each other is very small, not enough to jam or cause big damage. This is a norm when calibrating grinder for a number of model after taking them apart for cleaning or for other reasons.
genghishkhann
post Mar 8 2019, 03:16 PM

2 posts

Hi Guys I am planning to buy an electric burr grinder for home use. I mainly do pour over and french press occasionally.

I was quite stern in either Baratza's encore and sette until I read about the Taiwanese's Feima/Tiamo

Anyone here have experience with any of the grinder mentioned above? please give me your two sense or recommendation.

Currently, I have the Hario Skerton hand grinder - not so consistent grinder and getting real tired of grinder manually.

This post has been edited by genghishkhann: Mar 8 2019, 03:16 PM
rytopa
post Mar 8 2019, 05:14 PM

0 posts

Navigating the feima/tiamo grinders can be really tricky. What you should be trying to get is the Fuji Royal grinder series. These are bigger burrs, zero retention, crushing style which can really make good brew and perfect for pour overs. if you familiar with TB below is the link. the keyword is 小富士电动鬼齿 , the feima series look simliar but its only 60MM burrs vs 70mm++

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=5706.1...c3-71d13faabde0
genghishkhann
post Mar 10 2019, 07:17 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(rytopa @ Mar 8 2019, 05:14 PM)
Navigating the feima/tiamo grinders can be really tricky. What you should be trying to get is the Fuji Royal grinder series. These are bigger burrs, zero retention, crushing style which can really make good brew and perfect for pour overs. if you familiar with TB below is the link. the keyword is 小富士电动鬼齿 , the feima series look simliar but its only 60MM burrs vs 70mm++

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=5706.1...c3-71d13faabde0
thanks! thats helpful. I realise the brand is called 'koonan' thought it's Fuji Royal?

rytopa
post Mar 11 2019, 02:52 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(genghishkhann @ Mar 10 2019, 07:17 PM)
thanks! thats helpful. I realise the brand is called 'koonan' thought it's Fuji Royal?
Fuji Royal is by itself is a japanese brand. The model which is most suitable for home use is fuji royal r220, however its very expensive and hard to find 220V model, the cost is easily 700 USD.

As Fuji Royal R220 is a very very old model, there are clones of it appearing in the market, specifically in TB under 小富士电动鬼齿. These clones are labelled under different brands, but if you notice, they all look alike, which most probably means its more like OEM + their own branding.
d33pbluez
post Mar 11 2019, 05:14 PM

On my way
559 posts

QUOTE(Tikietic @ Mar 7 2019, 06:34 PM)
What's not to love the R58?
- Dual boiler
- Rotary pump
- PID
- e61
- Plumb-able

Used to eyed a similar configured machine by expobar(via taobao) back then.. much cheaper than the rocket..
Haha.. me used to eye on expobar end up modding my Oscar laugh.gif ...wish i add in PID and LED that would be cool sweat.gif but sadly no expert help me in this area.....scare later i short the whole house biggrin.gif like what happen to my PID in my rancilio silvia v3

This post has been edited by d33pbluez: Mar 11 2019, 05:17 PM
lacoste41
post Mar 12 2019, 12:36 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Sifu, looking for an advice on grinder and espresso machine with milk frother recommendation. Will be using it to make good latte, espresso & cappucino.

Any suggestions of what model to buy to produce good latte? My budget is around rm3k. Thanks in advance
genghishkhann
post Mar 12 2019, 01:06 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(rytopa @ Mar 11 2019, 02:52 PM)
Fuji Royal is by itself is a japanese brand. The model which is most suitable for home use is fuji royal r220, however its very expensive and hard to find 220V model, the cost is easily 700 USD.

As Fuji Royal R220 is a very very old model, there are clones of it appearing in the market, specifically in TB under 小富士电动鬼齿. These clones are labelled under different brands, but if you notice, they all look alike, which most probably means its more like OEM + their own branding.
Do you have any experience using them? If so how are they comparing to feima/tiamo 600N.

rytopa
post Mar 12 2019, 01:32 PM

0 posts

I had experience with the fuji royal clone, really easy and good to use, at this price point, its impossible to find another which excels as much in brew.

I have no experience with the 600N, but from what i have seen, the 600N suffers mainly from small motor issues, alot of issues arises from weak motor. filter coffee tend to be harder to grind generally, so not a good idea to use a smaller motor. 100-150 watt vs 250 watt(Fuji).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJ6SbdQG5E&t=619s

totoro latte
post Mar 13 2019, 04:38 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

hi! why did i not stray into this section sooner!!!!

i love coffee!! any good suggestion for coffee machine? home use only

would love those with steam feature to froth and warm up my milk

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
ymeng85
post Mar 14 2019, 12:12 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(lacoste41 @ Mar 12 2019, 12:36 PM)
Sifu, looking for an advice on grinder and espresso machine with milk frother recommendation. Will be using it to make good latte, espresso & cappucino.

Any suggestions of what model to buy to produce good latte? My budget is around rm3k. Thanks in advance
If you just scroll a few pages back, we literally just discussed this topic smile.gif
Including guidelines on choosing your machine, some brands as well as links
junbecks
post Mar 19 2019, 08:24 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

Hello everyone.
I'm new to this thread, but not new to coffee. Been learning about coffee from other sources not realizing lowyat would also have a thread.

Would you believe it I read through 240 pages in 3 months. Haha.

My current brew methods:

Bialetti Kitty,
Mainly for breakfast and weekends

Dolce Gusto,
For weekends
This one was a wedding gift so may as well use it once in awhile. Although I don't buy the pods with milk since I buy my own milk. Not eco friendly since it uses plastic pods.

Aeropress
For work due to obvious reasons.

Grinders:
Imitation hand grinder. Bought for 10 sgd. It's good enough for now. Will upgrade later.

Milk:
Using hand held frother bought online. Heat milk till 60oC. Froth milk till I get microfoam. Not perfect, but enough for mouth feel.

Beans:
Currently trying different beans each time. So whenever I pass by a shop with beans I've never tried before, I'll get a packet.

My current experiment,
is using half full cream milk and half water. Sifu at this barista academy I went to, was able to foam it perfectly, haha. I'm still learning.

Hope to share more with you guys later.
akay877
post Mar 21 2019, 09:52 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

Anyone got a good deal for Oscar 2? or is 4300 the cheapest so far?
cschuang
post Mar 25 2019, 08:22 AM

Getting Started
104 posts

Hi all coffee lovers,

I'm letting go my Mazzer Mini Doser coffee grinder in a very good condition, pls PM or whatsapp me if u r interested. Pls see ads on mudah:
https://m.mudah.my/view?ad_id=73866063&shar...&share_to=other

Enjoy ur coffee!
Cheers.

364 Pages « < 240 241 242 243 244 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 PM