Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Carbon steel wok

views

TSimbibug
post Dec 23 2015, 09:40 PM, updated 9y ago

Regular
1,670 posts

Where can I buy a carbon steel wok around pj/kl? Its all stainless steel ones being sold nowadays in shopping arcades.

I've found the diamond/ceramic/marble coated cookware were not durable despite their high price, the coatings could still be scratched and come off although not as easily as teflon non-stick cookware. And there are concerns about heavy metals leeching into food.
foohoa
post Dec 23 2015, 09:46 PM

Enthusiast
976 posts

the non-stick pan is durable, if u use non steel cookware, and wash as just normal sponge, not the green type
TSimbibug
post Dec 23 2015, 09:51 PM

Regular
1,670 posts

QUOTE(foohoa @ Dec 23 2015, 09:46 PM)
the non-stick pan is durable, if u use non steel cookware, and wash as just normal sponge, not the green type
No, the problem is not due to improper use. Teflon non-stick is useless in asian cooking where high heat is necessary. Ceramic/marble coated cookware were better but still wore out despite reasonably good care. A well seasoned carbon steel wok is much better for daily use for frying.
jeckyl
post Dec 24 2015, 06:23 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 23 2015, 09:51 PM)
No, the problem is not due to improper use. Teflon non-stick is useless in asian cooking where high heat is necessary. Ceramic/marble coated cookware were better but still wore out despite reasonably good care. A well seasoned carbon steel wok is much better for daily use for frying.
i agree but can't help you. Got my wok from my hometown up north.
Normal steel wok work better for asian cooking. Faster to heat up and more versatile.
jeckyl
post Dec 24 2015, 06:27 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 23 2015, 09:51 PM)
May I suggest you go to some of the larger open air market like in Pudu. Ask around and see if they sell it there. Else ask the boss or the aunties around there for recommendation.

My wok is not carbon steel. Not aluminum too. Dunno what allow but it is medium weight and doesn't rust. Colour is gray.
TSimbibug
post Dec 24 2015, 07:54 PM

Regular
1,670 posts

QUOTE(jeckyl @ Dec 24 2015, 06:27 PM)
May I suggest you go to some of the larger open air market like in Pudu. Ask around and see if they sell it there. Else  ask the boss or the aunties around there for recommendation.

My wok is not carbon steel. Not aluminum too. Dunno what allow but it is medium weight and doesn't rust. Colour is gray.
Yeah I'll have to go to markets or small hardware stores and ask around.
Your wok might be anodised aluminium. It cannot be seasoned like carbon steel cookware but is somewhat non-stick.
Andy0625
post Dec 24 2015, 08:02 PM

Certified Newbie
3,906 posts

100% sure tesco have it.
j2rags
post Dec 25 2015, 06:39 PM

2 posts

PJ try Old Town Jalan 1/19 and 1/12. They have a few shops here selling all kinds of cooking paraphernalia and plastic ware. I am pretty sure you will find what you are looking for (and more) here. :-)

Cheers...do post an update on whether you were successful or not.

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 23 2015, 09:40 PM)
Where can I buy a carbon steel wok around pj/kl? Its all stainless steel ones being sold nowadays in shopping arcades.

I've found the diamond/ceramic/marble coated cookware were not durable despite their high price, the coatings could still be scratched and come off although not as easily as teflon non-stick cookware. And there are concerns about heavy metals leeching into food.
TSimbibug
post Dec 31 2015, 12:01 PM

Regular
1,670 posts

Some info on avoiding ceramic/diamond/marble coated woks - they cannot last for asian style cooking even with careful use of bamboo/wooden spatulas and avoiding metal objects for cooking/cleaning. They will scratch and peel.

Ceramic cookware still use teflon type coatings, its stated right in the features of the Korea King brand " Non-Stick Coating " which is basically some sort of ptfe coating. Swiss Diamond states on its websites that its products uses ptfe.
Korea King
http://www.cosway.com.my/promotion/redempt...R9739&R9738.htm
Swiss Diamond
https://www.swissdiamond.com/about-us/faqs#...n-ptfe-and-pfoa

QUOTE(j2rags @ Dec 25 2015, 06:39 PM)
PJ try Old Town Jalan 1/19 and 1/12. They have a few shops here selling all kinds of cooking paraphernalia and plastic ware. I am pretty sure you will find what you are looking for (and more) here. :-)

Cheers...do post an update on whether you were successful or not.
Thanks, I checked and there is a chinese restaurant and kitchen supply store in old town.
A nearby small hw shop sold cast iron and carbon steel woks but the carbon steel wok was deeply concave with a large long handle (for restaurant fryer) which is unsuitable for home use because it cannot sit upright on a smaller base on a home gas range.
freesia
post Jan 22 2016, 03:53 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 31 2015, 12:01 PM)
Some info on avoiding ceramic/diamond/marble coated woks - they cannot last for asian style cooking even with careful use of bamboo/wooden spatulas and avoiding metal objects for cooking/cleaning. They will scratch and peel.

Ceramic cookware still use teflon type coatings, its stated right in the features of the Korea King brand " Non-Stick Coating " which is basically some sort of ptfe coating. Swiss Diamond states on its websites that its products uses ptfe.
Korea King
http://www.cosway.com.my/promotion/redempt...R9739&R9738.htm
Swiss Diamond
https://www.swissdiamond.com/about-us/faqs#...n-ptfe-and-pfoa
Thanks, I checked and there is a chinese restaurant and kitchen supply store in old town.
A nearby small hw shop sold cast iron and carbon steel woks but the carbon steel wok was deeply concave with a large long handle (for restaurant fryer) which is unsuitable for home use because it cannot sit upright on a smaller base on a home gas range.
Hi, don't know if this reply is too late but I bought my beautiful carbon steel wok from the corner shop opposite busy kopitiam in PJ Old Town. It's the 1st shop on Jalan 1/19 (with a fruit stall in front of it). It is finished perfectly with 2 half round ears for handles. Bought it for under RM70 less than 1 year ago. It was almost too beautiful to have to season it before 1st cooking! I was scouring all over for a wok & this was the only shop that sold a good quality carbon steel wok (others were irregular in shape and really rough around the edges). I recommend it highly.
abubin
post Jan 22 2016, 07:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

ok..i know you want to old school wok that can last long and made of steel. Most of the time it is sold in places like morning market or those old school kitchenware shop.
aeiou228
post Dec 18 2016, 11:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,830 posts

QUOTE(freesia @ Jan 22 2016, 03:53 PM)
Hi, don't know if this reply is too late but I bought my beautiful carbon steel wok from the corner shop opposite busy kopitiam in PJ Old Town. It's the 1st shop on Jalan 1/19 (with a fruit stall in front of it). It is finished perfectly with 2 half round ears for handles. Bought it for under RM70 less than 1 year ago. It was almost too beautiful to have to season it before 1st cooking! I was scouring all over for a wok & this was the only shop that sold a good quality carbon steel wok (others were irregular in shape and really rough around the edges). I recommend it highly.
Im looking for a 40cm carbon steel wok too.
How non sticky is your wok ? Comparable to those ceramic coating?

This shop ?
Attached Image
k town shit
post Dec 18 2016, 11:54 PM

Enthusiast
758 posts

Online store
dwRK
post Dec 19 2016, 01:01 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Dec 18 2016, 11:53 PM)
Im looking for a 40cm carbon steel wok too.
How non sticky is your wok ? Comparable to those ceramic coating?

This shop ?
Attached Image
I bought this from that pj shop...

Attached Image Attached Image

Its using a different type of coating...its quite non-stick, non-rusty, and doesn't need extra seasoning.

I damaged mine early on falsely believing it needed additional seasoning and burned it too much...however I do believe that the coating isn't suitable for high acidic cooking like pasta sauce as over time mine seems to have more coating loss. I don't know for sure but suspect it will be OK for normal high heat cooking. From the 2nd picture, the upper part is original coating, blueish black very smooth non-stick non-rusty. The middle "ring" damaged, slight patina layer, a bit rusty n sticky. The bottom layer is black from own patina coating, non-rust non-sticky. I should season it again to "treat" the rusty ring.

I needed a flat base for induction n this is the only one I can find. I would buy this again knowing the limitations. If you don't need flat base, there are many other non-coated carbon steel n cast iron wok. You can season it yourself to create the non-stick patina layer...its good enough for frying eggs with some oil without sticking, but it's not going to challenge those teflon/ceramic coating.

In the same PJ area there are 3-4 more shops that sell woks.

This post has been edited by dwRK: Dec 19 2016, 01:47 PM
Chiggah
post Sep 1 2022, 06:25 PM

Casual
460 posts

Anyone used this from shopee ? https://shopee.com.my/Pre-Seasoned-Traditio...7227.7737039306

Otherwise may consider the more expensive "Craft Wok" brand

https://craftwok.com/products/craft-wok-tra...d-bottom-731w88
nihility
post Oct 5 2022, 10:33 PM

Regular
1,252 posts

I recently bought enamel coated cast iron wok. The heat transfer to was so damn good.

Try this location - Tembikar Wei Khing @ Klang.

This post has been edited by nihility: Oct 5 2022, 10:42 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 PM