Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Creating a virtual desktop in Centos, Centos 6.5

views

TSexhauster
post Nov 30 2015, 04:43 PM, updated 9y ago

Casual
427 posts

Hi

Currently my server is running on CENTOS 6.5 and hosting multiple web application inside.

Due to the fact that most of my project is sharing the same port on Applications, database.. too much conflict and effort to customize them, I would like to expand it with 2nd CENTOS which means virtual OS.
Here comes the question, can I do that without reformatting them? With just CLI enabled
angch
post Nov 30 2015, 06:57 PM

On my way
635 posts

? This what you're looking for?

CODE
yum -y groupinstall "Desktop" "Desktop Platform" "X Window System" "Fonts"

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Unix/Lin...alInstall.shtml
wKkaY
post Nov 30 2015, 07:48 PM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

A good place to start will be to familiarize yourself with the redhat docs on virtualization - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-...uide/index.html

Although if your websites all use the same software stack (in terms of version), I don't see why you would have conflicts and customization effort.
TSexhauster
post Dec 1 2015, 01:39 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(wKkaY @ Nov 30 2015, 07:48 PM)
A good place to start will be to familiarize yourself with the redhat docs on virtualization - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-...uide/index.html

Although if your websites all use the same software stack (in terms of version), I don't see why you would have conflicts and customization effort.
Its because alot of website namely, A,B,C
All using same D database, same schema

But due to development, different dummy data is being entered for diff environment

Besides, setting up multiple MySQL port is tedious as each webapps consists of multiple war file, and have to change back during the deployment to another server
abubin
post Dec 1 2015, 12:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

can't you just change the database name? This is only a one line code in the db config for each website. Schema all can remain the same. And everything else is transparent to user or even developer. Just doesn't make sense to use a separate database for each db. Such a waste of resources. I think this is really amateurish way of doing things.
TSexhauster
post Dec 1 2015, 12:38 PM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Dec 1 2015, 12:27 PM)
can't you just change the database name? This is only a one line code in the db config for each website. Schema all can remain the same. And everything else is transparent to user or even developer. Just doesn't make sense to use a separate database for each db. Such a waste of resources. I think this is really amateurish way of doing things.
Not really.. just like what I explained

within A project, there are few war files (around 5)
Every war files have its own connector and I don't need to touch them, besides these war files are being sent by client every few hour/day to update their development progress also
So we just need to deploy them, imagine all those hour waste to change their config in each war file on each deployment

Might as well setup a virtual environment.. I knew it was inefficient to do so but it was for our staging environment so its ok for me

What problem I'm having now is that I follow the guide in http://www.tecmint.com/install-virtualbox-...-centos-fedora/
and until the step Rebuild Kernel Modules for VirtualBox 5.0

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                        [  OK  ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules            [  OK  ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64 cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64/build or /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64/source.
                                                          [FAILED]
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                      [FAILED]
I don't where can I download the source or build of my kernel, i googled around and found those RPM file and downloaded it
after extract out, it still doesn't give me what I wanted
abubin
post Dec 1 2015, 03:45 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(exhauster @ Dec 1 2015, 12:38 PM)
Not really.. just like what I explained

within A project, there are few war files (around 5)
Every war files have its own connector and I don't need to touch them, besides these war files are being sent by client every few hour/day to update their development progress also
So we just need to deploy them, imagine all those hour waste to change their config in each war file on each deployment

Might as well setup a virtual environment.. I knew it was inefficient to do so but it was for our staging environment so its ok for me

Ok you seems to know what you are doing in terms of the application.

just another question. since you said these are war files generate by clients, what about the ports being run by each iteration of mysql? Like you said the ports are different for each mysql server.
WongGei
post Dec 1 2015, 06:01 PM

Regular
1,206 posts

CLI can do the job if you use libvirt

yum -y groupinstall "Virtualization" "Virtualization Platform" "Virtualization Client"

To create a vm, you can use virt-install to create and install new VM.

For GUI, you can also install Desktop

yum -y groupinstall "Desktop"
yum -y install tigervnc-server

after the installation, run
vncserver :1

You can use any vncviewer to see your remote desktop at port 5901

In the desktop, you will see Virtual Machine Manager, which can be used to create VM on your server.

This post has been edited by WongGei: Dec 1 2015, 06:03 PM
wKkaY
post Dec 2 2015, 07:51 AM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

QUOTE(exhauster @ Dec 1 2015, 12:38 PM)

Some basic shell scripting should be able to automate that so that it won't waste hours.

It's good that you're learning and trying virtualization (check out its cousin too - containers), but I think simpler and more efficient solutions are available for your problem.
TSexhauster
post Dec 2 2015, 12:14 PM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(wKkaY @ Dec 2 2015, 07:51 AM)
Some basic shell scripting should be able to automate that so that it won't waste hours.

It's good that you're learning and trying virtualization (check out its cousin too - containers), but I think simpler and more efficient solutions are available for your problem.
I'm new to linux, just trying to learn all these thing

What do u mean by container of virtualization?
angch
post Dec 2 2015, 12:35 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(exhauster @ Dec 2 2015, 12:14 PM)
What do u mean by container of virtualization?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating-sys..._virtualization

"Containers" are just another term used to describe it. Mini-VMs, if you will. I'd recommend against picking that up until you're more familiar with other stuff.

https://www.vagrantup.com/ is a good start and a good bridge between scripting and VM. Learn it.

anakkk
post Dec 15 2015, 09:58 AM

Regular
1,565 posts

do a virtual host with multiple domain, should be no problem.
temptation1314
post Dec 15 2015, 05:41 PM

Specials : 1,000,000 Spam Post Attack
2,287 posts

Google up QEMU. If you're not up to it, might as well reformat and use ESXi.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0113sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:29 PM