Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Unifi Connect UniFi HyppTV Set Top Box Through WiFi

views

TSnzuser
post Nov 30 2015, 06:47 AM, updated 7y ago

2 posts

I'd been looking for a guide online to set up the UniFi HyppTV Set Top Box EC6106V5 to connect wirelessly without spending extra money to buy a pair of HomePlugs as HyppTV STB EC6106V5 has already got WiFi built in to the box, you only need to go to the settings to enable it to connect to your WiFi network. Unfortunately, there isn't much helpful information I could get from the internet, so I decided to go through all the settings in the router myself to find out if there is any possibilities to do so, and finally I found that IT'S ALL POSSIBLE!!! So now I can have my router in one room, and HyppTV STB and TV in another without having to buy any extra hardware as long as it's within the WiFi coverage range.

After the successful attempt, I feel like I should share this to others, so you all can save some money and place your TV set wherever you want.

I will skip the steps to enabling and connecting to WiFi network in the Set Top Box as it's already available on the internet for quite some time. So I'll go straight to the point, and below is the step by step set up guide. biggrin.gif

Edit (14/10/2017): I'm getting forum messages from time to time where people ask for details regarding the setup, so I think it's better for me to just update the post with a bit more details in case people couldn't find the specific information needed.

Edit (14/10/2017): I've since upgraded the Set Top Box to EC6108V8 and a different TM router model after the first post, but most settings remained the same as before. Note: I haven't got a chance to play with the newer TM D-Link DIR-850L router, so I'm not sure if some of the settings are actually available in this router.

Edit (14/10/2017): To enable WiFi connection in the HyppTV Set Top Box, go to the settings page through the cog icon at the screen when you first power on your HyppTV STB, then go to Wireless and Network section, tick the box on the right of Enable WLAN and wait for the STB to turn on the WiFi feature, once the WiFi is on, go to Set WLAN to choose and connect to the WiFi network SSID you're going to create from the guide below.

1. Log in to your UniFi router, username and password is readily available online.

Edit (14/10/2017): You need to login with master ID and password as standard admin ID will NOT show you all the settings needed for this configuration. Master ID and password is model specific, you can easily find it on google.

2. Go to Wireless tab and then SSID Configuration, enable second SSID in the list by clicking the Edit button.

user posted image

3. In the VAP configuration page, tick the Enabled VAP box to enable second SSID, and you can enter your own SSID name in the SSID box. Under Wireless Security, you need to select WPA-PSK as authentication, as WPA2-PSK won't work in streaming the IPTV signal. Under Enabled WPA, select TKIP as the Key Type, AES will work too, but I find TKIP having a smoother streaming result. Don't forget to enter your own Preshared Key too. biggrin.gif

Edit (30/11/2015): I've tried to use the so-called 'mixed mode' WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK Authentication with TKIP + AES Key Type without any streaming issue so far. With these settings, it should give better security to your WiFi network.

Edit (04/12/2015): WPA2-PSK Authentication is actually WORKING for streaming IPTV signal, I've so far tried both WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK with all Key Types combinations available in the router's settings, some combinations have better streaming results than the others, so you might try out yourself to find the best one for your network conditions. Still not sure why it didn't work the first time when I set up the SSID2. unsure.gif

user posted image

4. Click Submit button at the bottom of the page to save settings.

5. Now go to Setup tab and then WAN Configuration, edit the connection with VLAN ID 600. It's the notepad icon with a pen on it, NOT the icon looks like a recycle bin. biggrin.gif

user posted image

6. In WAN Connection settings, under Port Binding, tick the box SSID2 for WLAN Port.

user posted image

6. Click Apply button to save settings, and Viola! you can now stream your HyppTV content wirelessly when connecting to this new SSID!

Please note that this is only for streaming HyppTV contents, browsing internet with the browser won't work in this configuration. The new STB EC6108V8 should work with the similar settings, but not tested myself. Hope you guys enjoy it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by nzuser: Oct 14 2017, 10:22 PM
MrSpeedy
post Dec 1 2015, 05:02 AM

Casual
459 posts

I wonder if this method can work on 3rd party routers.
Any ideas?
TSnzuser
post Dec 1 2015, 06:13 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(MrSpeedy @ Dec 1 2015, 05:02 AM)
I wonder if this method can work on 3rd party routers.
Any ideas?
It might work if your router have all of these settings available, I don't have other router to try myself. As you can see from the settings, it's bridging the IPTV signal from TM, you get an IP address in the range of 10.X.X.X when connected to the new SSID. The other feature needed is port binding to route all IPTV signal to a specific port, which is SSID2 in this case.
MrSpeedy
post Dec 1 2015, 06:48 AM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(nzuser @ Dec 1 2015, 06:13 AM)
It might work if your router have all of these settings available, I don't have other router to try myself. As you can see from the settings, it's bridging the IPTV signal from TM, you get an IP address in the range of 10.X.X.X when connected to the new SSID. The other feature needed is port binding to route all IPTV signal to a specific port, which is SSID2 in this case.
Okay, lets say I got a DD-WRT'ed router but with only one ethernet port.
Can I still port binding VLAN 600 without assign to any LAN port first?
(Assumed that The only port available used for VLAN 500).
TSnzuser
post Dec 1 2015, 08:09 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(MrSpeedy @ Dec 1 2015, 06:48 AM)
Okay, lets say I got a DD-WRT'ed router but with only one ethernet port.
Can I still port binding VLAN 600 without assign to any LAN port first?
(Assumed that The only port available used for VLAN 500).
In my router, I was able to remove LAN4 port binding when I get the option to select SSID2. Hope that help.
iguana_dude_619
post Dec 1 2015, 09:33 AM

Xbox GT, PSN & Steam ID: iguanadude626
1,135 posts

hoho.. Thank you TS thumbup.gif
going to try it tonite. see can work or not..
MrSpeedy
post Dec 2 2015, 10:52 PM

Casual
459 posts

Anyone report please?
samah
post Dec 28 2015, 08:06 PM

12 posts

This works perfectly as described by TS. Need to use correct login to make the WAN option available.
Mr Leo
post Dec 28 2015, 08:21 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

Wonder this method can be used for Asus router or not?
SUSsupersound
post Dec 30 2015, 01:13 AM

10k Club
11,554 posts

Tested, is working, but limitation would be the signal strength. Failed on my house. It keep on lagging for no reason.
victorjyen6881
post Jan 8 2016, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

aiseh, late to read on yr post, I just setup Cat5E cable from my center hall to my TV area.
juniortit@n
post Jan 13 2016, 12:09 PM

Casual
453 posts

just install my unifi last week..i also hv this question as my hypptv is connecting thru wireless like what TS mention..i wanna upgrade my router to improve the wireless signal,but the TM technician say the TM router cannot be replace, he told me to add on another router instead replace the TM router to new 3rd party router...not sure how its work..

vivian_w
post Jan 15 2016, 11:45 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Hello, unifi newbie here.. I just got unifi set up yesterday in the living room. If i would like to watch hypptv in another room on a another TV (same channel), what device do I need? And how to set up?

Another question is my Motorola DECT phone, when I turn off the switch to stop charging, the phone cannot make/receive calls anymore. How do I stop charging but still be able to use the phone?
soonwai
post Jan 16 2016, 04:11 PM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(juniortit@n @ Jan 13 2016, 12:09 PM)
just install my unifi last week..i also hv this question as my hypptv is connecting thru wireless like what TS mention..i wanna upgrade my router to improve the wireless signal,but the TM technician say the TM router cannot be replace, he told me to add on another router instead replace the TM router to new 3rd party router...not sure how its work..
The TM router can be replaced with another UniFi compatible router, no problem. Got many to choose from, Mikrotik, DLink, TPLink, Linksys, Cisco, Asus or any router that supports VLAN.

Add-on also can but no point. Waste electricity only.
ppfoong
post Jan 17 2016, 01:12 PM

On my way
522 posts

QUOTE(vivian_w @ Jan 15 2016, 11:45 AM)
Hello, unifi newbie here.. I just got unifi set up yesterday in the living room. If i would like to watch hypptv in another room on a another TV (same channel), what device do I need? And how to set up?

Another question is my Motorola DECT phone, when I turn off the switch to stop charging, the phone cannot make/receive calls anymore. How do I stop charging but still be able to use the phone?
You can buy a pair of power plug to use the electrical wiring of your house to form a network to link up the router and the STB. TP-Link is cheaper, and Aztech has been in the market for many years.

You need the base station to pair with the phone and continue working in order to send/receive call. Don't worry, it consume very little electricity. The phone will stop charging by itself when it is fully charged.

ppfoong
post Jan 17 2016, 01:18 PM

On my way
522 posts

QUOTE(juniortit@n @ Jan 13 2016, 12:09 PM)
You can get a TPLink WDR3600 at the price of around RM170 that supports dual band and better Wifi.

Refer to here:
http://voyager8.blogspot.my/2013/09/tp-lin...nd-gigabit.html

namez
post Jan 17 2016, 11:15 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

The dlink modem from tmnet don't have setup WAN
sad.gif
sneaker
post Jan 19 2016, 09:11 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(nzuser @ Nov 30 2015, 06:47 AM)

5. Now go to Setup tab and then WAN Configuration, edit the connection with VLAN ID 600. It's the notepad icon with a pen on it, NOT the icon looks like a recycle bin.  biggrin.gif

user posted image

TS, you're using stock router provided by TM? Why my router don't have WAN configuration?
khusyairi
post Jan 19 2016, 11:50 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

QUOTE(sneaker @ Jan 19 2016, 09:11 PM)
TS, you're using stock router provided by TM? Why my router don't have WAN configuration?
Bcoz u use wrong user name/password
sneaker
post Jan 19 2016, 11:56 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(khusyairi @ Jan 19 2016, 11:50 PM)
Bcoz u use wrong user name/password
What is the user name/ password to access that setting? TM only provide username as 'admin' and password blank.

23 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0207sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:04 AM