Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
3,283 posts

Hi guys, I am having a Leadtek GTX 760 2GB OC, my other PC specs are:

i3 4150
8GB GSkill RAM
1TB WD Blue
Asrock B85M Pro4
Win 10 x64 Home.

I've been using this GPU with this rig for about a little over a year now. Never OC-ed before or anything, only regularly installing updates for GeForce Experience and Nvidia Drivers.

My GPU's fans have been on and off spiking to really high RPM even without playing any games at any given time. From average 1050 rotations/min it would jump to 30~50k RPM (you would notice it from the sudden loud fan noise that lasts for about 3~5 seconds)

Attached Image

I am not sure if my GPU going faulty or not and am not sure on what to do at this point. Still have roughly 9 months of warranty left with IdealTech. icon_question.gif
boonwuilow
post Nov 23 2015, 12:13 AM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

U should RMA your card with them.
I am guessing is the PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) fan has spoiled (either the fan or the GPU board). Causing it out of control. As most of the fan are controlled using PWM. I also have a CPU fan acted the same way as yours, spiking itself, fast slow fast slow, turns out to be the fan itself is faulty.
ricstc
post Nov 23 2015, 12:36 AM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

same here

for me I had to list down if it was humidity, room temperature, and location of where your case - dusty or not

for me I had to clean the inside of my case (got the air spray) and after ensuring that my mommy bought me a new air cond and daady was willing to pay for the extra higher electricity bill the frequency of this spin up and spin down lessen

however I still sent it for RMA bcos mommy said it is going to get spoil

I always listen to mom as she was a former heavy gamer

This post has been edited by ricstc: Nov 23 2015, 12:37 AM
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Nov 23 2015, 12:49 AM

3,283 posts

QUOTE(boonwuilow @ Nov 23 2015, 12:13 AM)
U should RMA your card with them.
I am guessing is the PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) fan has spoiled (either the fan or the GPU board). Causing it out of control. As most of the fan are controlled using PWM. I also have a CPU fan acted the same way as yours, spiking itself, fast slow fast slow, turns out to be the fan itself is faulty.
QUOTE(ricstc @ Nov 23 2015, 12:36 AM)
same here

for me I had to list down if it was humidity, room temperature, and  location of where your case - dusty or not

for me I had to clean the inside of my case (got the air spray) and after ensuring that my mommy bought me a new air cond and daady was willing to pay for the extra higher electricity bill the frequency of this spin up and spin down lessen

however I still sent it for RMA bcos mommy said it is going to get spoil

I always listen to mom as she was a former heavy gamer
Want to update, now onwards from boot the fan will be extremely noisy, HWMonitor, GPU-Z all showing 0-RPM.

My room is air-conditioned most of the time, very very cold. Temp always below 45 when idle. No dust.

Any further advice on things to check?
ricstc
post Nov 23 2015, 01:44 AM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Nov 23 2015, 12:49 AM)
Want to update, now onwards from boot the fan will be extremely noisy, HWMonitor, GPU-Z all showing 0-RPM.

My room is air-conditioned most of the time, very very cold. Temp always below 45 when idle. No dust.

Any further advice on things to check?
so whats stopping you from sending for rma

is it bcos its warranty is over?

I think you've really a faulty card or getting faulty
SUStlts
post Nov 23 2015, 08:12 AM

pee poo pee poo
1,891 posts

just rma it..i should not act like that....even on game for few hour straight it barelly go to such high rpm
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Nov 23 2015, 09:37 AM

3,283 posts

QUOTE(ricstc @ Nov 23 2015, 01:44 AM)
so whats stopping you from sending for rma

is it bcos its warranty is over?

I think you've really a faulty card or getting faulty
QUOTE(tlts @ Nov 23 2015, 08:12 AM)
just rma it..i should not act like that....even on game for few hour straight it barelly go to such high rpm
It's just that I never expected my gpu to get issues like this. Still have warranty, guess I have to consult ideal tech. Hopefully they will acknowledge the fault. sad.gif will update, thanks!
aLertz
post Nov 23 2015, 10:56 AM

Overconfidence is a flimsy shield
1,111 posts

just rma it...issues will happen at unexpected time...
if it keep spiking every time you on your PC then they'll definitely acknowledge it...
ricstc
post Nov 23 2015, 11:13 AM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Nov 23 2015, 09:37 AM)
It's just that I never expected my gpu to get issues like this. Still have warranty, guess I have to consult ideal tech. Hopefully they will acknowledge the fault. sad.gif will update, thanks!
my mommy says when it comes to logical technological things like computer components what we FEEL is usually wrong, what we use to deduce and eliminate points are keys to become a good computer analyst

when I grow up I want to be like mommu
SUStlts
post Nov 23 2015, 11:51 AM

pee poo pee poo
1,891 posts

btw u got use any software like msi to control the fan or not do check 1st b4 send rma
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Nov 23 2015, 01:58 PM

3,283 posts

QUOTE(tlts @ Nov 23 2015, 11:51 AM)
btw u got use any software like msi to control the fan or not do check 1st b4 send rma
Only installed EVGA precision X to attempt to control fan speed after problem started, no difference.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 AM