Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

262 Pages « < 205 206 207 208 209 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Australia V2, All About working in Australia

views

PepelePewPew
post Mar 3 2019, 10:06 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(hairypotter9394 @ Mar 3 2019, 01:30 AM)
Hi....just asking....I am too old to be sponsored or even quality for a work visa...but have employer keen to take me ( am hair stylist)....in short ....come to work with tourist visa....is it possible to work 5 months...fly back to Malaysia.... then go over in a month later.....repeat this cycle again n again..  Is this an option I can take ....will immigration be suspicious..... Thanks for your response
I am in no position to tell you what you can or cannot do. The fact is, it is illegal to work in Australia without a visa with work rights. You seem to understand the situation as well, and I would not be surprised many others managed to make some money with similar short stints. Terms like "jump aeroplane" and "wash big plates" came about since my grandparents' generation, maybe even prior to that. Who am I to say that you absolutely cannot do this. However, before things get a little rosy...

https://theconversation.com/amp/what-its-li...australia-81478
Expect to get queried by immigration kaw kaw the 2nd time you come back in. I know of someone who can attest to that. It's different when you come in regularly on short business trips, vs continuously coming in months after months, unless you have family/dependents within Australia as your reason for travel.
Beware of people charging fees for promises of work. Travel and lodging are not cheap. Or lodging can be cheap, but do you feel guaranteed about living conditions? If you end up getting stranded, you have to have sufficient funds to support yourself until your return to home country.
While it is legal to be paid in cash, the illegal part of it is in not paying tax, but then you do not have legal rights to work. Hence, you are open to being exploited, i.e. low wages, no overtime pay, no pay at all.
If you are not young anymore, then unexpected medical expenses is another thing you need to consider. You will need to pay for the full healthcare costs, unless you have private insurance cover for overseas visitors or maybe your local private insurance covers for international travel up to a certain period of time. Obviously, I am no subject matter expert in what is covered and not covered.

Maybe you have close friends or relatives in Australia who can help ensure you don't get into trouble, then it is not so daunting. Common scenarios I have heard of is paying for confinement ladies from Malaysia, which can be far cheaper than hiring one in Australia. So again, who am I to say you cannot do this or that.

Good luck, and stay out of trouble.
PepelePewPew
post Mar 3 2019, 10:46 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(aussiebum @ Feb 28 2019, 10:27 AM)
Hi guys, im intending to apply partner visa (820) for my partner, anyone has any experience on applying it? We are on a de-facto relationship btw.
No experience on 820 myself. Only PR application together with defacto partner. The documentation proof for defacto partnership has a lot to do with proving the both of you are in a "genuine" relationship, sharing financial and domestic responsibilities.

This seems to explain a lot.
https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/801-

Minimum 12 months of living together prior to applying for 820. The 12 months can be waived if you registered your marriage to the state government (varies between states). About 2 years processing time. From the time of application, your partner must be onshore living together until the time decision is made. Immediately apply for 801 and get bridging visa to legally stay in country until decision is made for 801. About 2 years processing time again.

I don't know about the visa type required for your partner upon 820 application, though, whether a bridging visa is provided. Imagine your partner having to stay for 2 to 3 years on visitor visa, travelling every 3 months, without work rights, until 820 is granted.
kagenn
post Mar 4 2019, 05:56 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Mar 2 2019, 03:55 AM)
This is what i meant by being a 'sucker' - ...
It's probably good to have advice from siblings in the real estate industry, though you'd be worried for them now with the slowing down of property sales & prices. It's great having online sources to read from and forums like this to partake and learn from. Whirlpool is another good source for reading through people's opinions and dissecting them, or applying them to what you've seen so far. Feels like too many houses are still at the 2018 peak prices at the moment. Plenty of agents are also quite unwilling to negotiate or drop prices, except one or two that I've seen that said that owners are looking to let go of the unit ASAP and wiling to drop 20-30k.

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Mar 3 2019, 10:06 AM)
I am in no position to tell you what you can or cannot do..

Good luck, and stay out of trouble.
Good advice, I would given a similar opinion. Do or don't depends on the person, but as long one understands the actions and the repercussions that may happen as a result. If one chooses to go ahead with it, then it's on a clear conscious regarding those actions and take responsibility for them. Also, is it worth possibly getting blacklisted from coming to Aus again?

Have not seen you around for a bit, hope the house purchase has gone well for you. Managed to settle everything?

QUOTE(Cinevision @ Mar 1 2019, 11:50 PM)
Prepare to face a pretty severe credit crunch. Don't be surprise if the banks have already slash consumers credit card limit without them knowing it. With so many homeowners underwater, it will be devastating. Plan accordingly.
Oh yes, the new has reported an increase of private loans as people are unable to get loans from banks. On and off I still hear private loan ads on radio "Borrow up to 5k to fund your dream holiday!". White I do get the desperation to get away from work (and lack of holidays like in Msia), I don't understand the urge to have immediate fun but lose out in the long run.
Garysydney
post Mar 4 2019, 09:36 AM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(kagenn @ Mar 4 2019, 05:56 AM)
Oh yes, the new has reported an increase of private loans as people are unable to get loans from banks. On and off I still hear private loan ads on radio "Borrow up to 5k to fund your dream holiday!". White I do get the desperation to get away from work (and lack of holidays like in Msia), I don't understand the urge to have immediate fun but lose out in the long run.
Do you know my Egyptian friend has about A$60-70k of credit card and personal loans outstanding? Banks can sniff a 'dead man standing' from far and is offering loans like these to kill you off. He was only given these loans lately. Basically the banks do not want to bankrupt him because they know that my friend (at 61 years of age), there is no second chance coming back. They offer these high-interest loans to make sure you work for them your whole life. My friend also found out that most of the banks are doing the same thing to other customers as there are a lot of Egyptians caught in this interest-only loan trap. I can see a lot of mortgagee sales coming onto the market later this year as customers default!!

This post has been edited by Garysydney: Mar 4 2019, 09:38 AM
kagenn
post Mar 4 2019, 12:03 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Mar 4 2019, 09:36 AM)
Do you know my Egyptian friend has about A$60-70k of credit card and personal loans outstanding? Banks can sniff a 'dead man standing' from far and is offering loans like these to kill you off. He was only given these loans lately. Basically the banks do not want to bankrupt him because they know that my friend (at 61 years of age), there is no second chance coming back. They offer these high-interest loans to make sure you work for them your whole life. My friend also found out that most of the banks are doing the same thing to other customers as there are a lot of Egyptians caught in this interest-only loan trap. I can see a lot of mortgagee sales coming onto the market later this year as customers default!!
Maybe if your friend is lucky he can tag along with the "sue banks for breaching responsible lending laws", which sounds like it applies to him, unable to repay his loans unless he works till 80-90+ years old.

I don't get why these banks would loan him more money if they don't want him to go bankrupt. With the mortgage, now added with these high interest loans, there's no way for him to repay both once the new loan amount dries up. Sounds like these two loans to repay will definitely make him bankrupt, but just delayed. 60-70k CC/personal loan is simply crazy...it seems to me hat our buddy is like close to 1 mil in debt. Not sure how much he can borrow from friends and if any of that will even help him out. Sounds like he should just keep borrowing as much money as possible to survive until declared bankrupt..

So if he owns two houses at the moment, and stays in the better one; if he does bankrupt I believe he'll still be able to live in that house? Or will he be forced to give up the more expensive place and move to the other? And if after 3 years he's out of bankruptcy, does he keep whatever he currently owns, including the said house?
Garysydney
post Mar 4 2019, 12:40 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(kagenn @ Mar 4 2019, 12:03 PM)
Maybe if your friend is lucky he can tag along with the "sue banks for breaching responsible lending laws", which sounds like it applies to him, unable to repay his loans unless he works till 80-90+ years old.

I don't get why these banks would loan him more money if they don't want him to go bankrupt. With the mortgage, now added with these high interest loans, there's no way for him to repay both once the new loan amount dries up. Sounds like these two loans to repay will definitely make him bankrupt, but just delayed. 60-70k CC/personal loan is simply crazy...it seems to me hat our buddy is like close to 1 mil in debt. Not sure how much he can borrow from friends and if any of that will even help him out. Sounds like he should just keep borrowing as much money as possible to survive until declared bankrupt..

So if he owns two houses at the moment, and stays in the better one; if he does bankrupt I believe he'll still be able to live in that house? Or will he be forced to give up the more expensive place and move to the other? And if after 3 years he's out of bankruptcy, does he keep whatever he currently owns, including the said house?
I am sure the bank doesn't want him to go bankrupt (even though they know he probably will if housing doesn't recover) so they try to milk him as much as possible (with these personal loans and credit cards). All these personal loans and credit cards were only given in Nov last year!! The banks also hope that the housing market will recover so they will not end up having to provide for additional bad debt provisions in their balance sheet. My Egyptian told me (after the bank revealed to him there are a lot of people in similar situations to him) that the banks will give him some grace period (to sell) if he cannot meet his repayments. I wouldn't have believed stories like this if i had not heard it personally from someone i know!!
aussiebum
post Mar 4 2019, 02:37 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Mar 3 2019, 10:46 AM)
No experience on 820 myself. Only PR application together with defacto partner. The documentation proof for defacto partnership has a lot to do with proving the both of you are in a "genuine" relationship, sharing financial and domestic responsibilities.

This seems to explain a lot.

Minimum 12 months of living together prior to applying for 820. The 12 months can be waived if you registered your marriage to the state government (varies between states). About 2 years processing time. From the time of application, your partner must be onshore living together until the time decision is made. Immediately apply for 801 and get bridging visa to legally stay in country until decision is made for 801. About 2 years processing time again.

I don't know about the visa type required for your partner upon 820 application, though, whether a bridging visa is provided. Imagine your partner having to stay for 2 to 3 years on visitor visa, travelling every 3 months, without work rights, until 820 is granted.
Yeah I have seen the page before, just asking whether is anyone has any experience applying for a partner visa /or with defacto partner. Any additional "proof" they require beside the one stated on web. We r intending to return to Sydney first and have him to lodge for 820 application because it can only be lodge in the country. 820 does come with an 801 and also bridging visa until 801 decision is made.

Out of curiosity, do you apply under visa 189?

This post has been edited by aussiebum: Mar 4 2019, 02:38 PM
PepelePewPew
post Mar 4 2019, 03:42 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(kagenn @ Mar 4 2019, 05:56 AM)
Have not seen you around for a bit, hope the house purchase has gone well for you. Managed to settle everything?
Cooling-off period almost ends now. Settlement by early April. Lots of things to be done then.

QUOTE(aussiebum @ Mar 4 2019, 02:37 PM)
820 does come with an 801 and also bridging visa until 801 decision is made.

What I mean is, once he gets 820 granted, and then applies for 801, he gets a bridging visa. When he first applies 820, for the period before he gets 820 granted, does he get a bridging visa? Read again.

Not that I know the answer. I just don't see it written anywhere. If that is true, it sounds like a loophole, because then anyone can apply and legally stay for as long as the processing takes, i.e. about 2 years in this case.

I applied visa 190 with my defacto partner.
PepelePewPew
post Mar 4 2019, 04:05 PM

0 posts

820 does come with an 801 and also bridging visa until 801 decision is made.
Wow, you are right.
https://truebluemigration.com/visa-types/pa...to-spouse-visa/
"If you hold an eligible visitor visa and lodge your 820 partner visa, you transition on to ‘Bridging Visa A’ or a BVA when the visitor visa expires. You have full work rights on your BVA, during the partner visa processing time."

But I would trust homeaffairs website more, so...
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getti...010#Eligibility
"You must hold or have held a substantive visa."

In which case, if I read the definition for substantive visa right, visitor visa is a substantive visa.

Just to get more reference,
https://visaaustralia.com.au/bridging-visas...bridging-visas/
http://www.visalawyers.com.au/content_comm...c8-7c04547fdc82

Not so daunting after all.

aussiebum
post Mar 4 2019, 04:41 PM

19 posts

...We r intending to return to Sydney first and have him to lodge for 820 application because it can only be lodge in the country. 820 does come with an 801 and also bridging visa until 801 decision is made.

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Mar 4 2019, 03:42 PM)
Cooling-off period almost ends now. Settlement by early April. Lots of things to be done then.
What I mean is, once he gets 820 granted, and then applies for 801, he gets a bridging visa. When he first applies 820, for the period before he gets 820 granted, does he get a bridging visa? Read again.

Not that I know the answer. I just don't see it written anywhere. If that is true, it sounds like a loophole, because then anyone can apply and legally stay for as long as the processing takes, i.e. about 2 years in this case.

I don't think I got ur words wrong. When he got his 820 granted, 801 application will be assessed when the times come. An 820 will allow you to stay in AU until the decision made, no bridging visa needed. What I meant earlier is 801/820 visa is considered as one application, 2 different status (temp & perm), 1-time payment. And you will automatically get a bridging visa if you do not have any visa (student, work, working holiday), or your visa is expiring at the time when you lodge it

In fact, when you apply for any permanent visa from Australia you will get a bridging visa until a decision is made

Also it doesn't sound like a loophole to me because not everyone can apply for an 801. To eligible for an 801 visa your partner need to be either - Aus/NZ citizen or Aus PR. And the requirement is not as easy as you know
Second, 801 visa cost a bomb. I don't think people would spend that money just to get a long term visa, knowing they wont get it approved. There are some alternate option out there if they need to.

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Mar 4 2019, 04:05 PM)
Wow, you are right.
https://truebluemigration.com/visa-types/pa...to-spouse-visa/
"If you hold an eligible visitor visa and lodge your 820 partner visa, you transition on to ‘Bridging Visa A’ or a BVA when the visitor visa expires. You have full work rights on your BVA, during the partner visa processing time."

But I would trust homeaffairs website more, so...
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getti...010#Eligibility
"You must hold or have held a substantive visa."

In which case, if I read the definition for substantive visa right, visitor visa is a substantive visa.

Just to get more reference,
https://visaaustralia.com.au/bridging-visas...bridging-visas/
http://www.visalawyers.com.au/content_comm...c8-7c04547fdc82

Not so daunting after all.
In addition, substance visa without 8503 visa condition.

attached a link from homeaffairs archived site, also there's a better process timeline for 801/820 visa there.

at the end of the thread.. I'm just asking for someone who can shed some light on applying for a visa with defacto partner. We might consider applying 189 as well, that seems easier as my partner got more than 80 points.

tqvm notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by aussiebum: Mar 4 2019, 05:19 PM
PepelePewPew
post Mar 4 2019, 06:15 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(aussiebum @ Mar 4 2019, 04:41 PM)
Also it doesn't sound like a loophole to me because not everyone can apply for an 801.

at the end of the thread.. I'm just asking for someone who can shed some light on applying for a visa with defacto partner. We might consider applying 189 as well, that seems easier as my partner got more than 80 points.
OK, I stand corrected. I am a cynic and am sharing my view as such. It may not sound like a loophole to you because your significant other is a genuine applicant. Hope no more negative vibes here.

When I applied for 190 with my defacto partner, we prepared the following early on (more than 12 months prior to application):
- Supplementary credit card for her, under my principal credit card
- Joint savings account (I heard nowadays MY banks don't allow anymore if not married/related, so we were lucky)
- Joint unit trust investment with both our names
- Photos of being together in social occasions with friends/family/trips
- Flight itinerary for leisure trips with both our names
- Both our cars' insurance with the other's name included
- Supplementary mobile plan for her, under my principal mobile plan
- Any bills showing we have been sharing the same residential address (we didn't have this one since we have been renting a place. No point buying property if we wanted to migrate.)
- Basically anything that you can use to prove that the relationship is "genuine and continuing".

Other things we needed to submit during visa lodgment for this relationship proof alone:
- Form 888, testimonials by mutual friends and family members
- Two signed individual statement letters, mine and hers. Basically, each wrote how we met, how we flourished and what's our future plans.

It's *probably* similar with 820/801, although it might make more sense to register marriage in between 820 and 801.

More than 80 points! Might as well just go for 189. Assuming his skill assessment, IELTS, and any anticipated documentations are ready.

kagenn
post Mar 5 2019, 04:19 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Mar 4 2019, 03:42 PM)

Sounds exciting. Do lemme know if there's anything to keep an eye out for during this transition period. Good luck with transition. rclxms.gif

This is an interesting read from the Aus Finance reddit post on opinions of home purchase at this time:
https://old.reddit.com/r/AusFinance/comment...ould_do_in_our/

The general feel is quite the same as a number of posters in this thread. I find it useful and it's quite convincing to hold off on house purchase at the moment. Both wife and I feel that we would only go for a house that fits nearly all our criteria and is too good to pass up.

limeuu
post Mar 5 2019, 06:52 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(aussiebum @ Mar 4 2019, 04:41 PM)

tqvm  notworthy.gif
With 80 points, just apply 189.....even if in prorata profession, should get almost immediate invitation....
kagenn
post Mar 7 2019, 03:21 PM

26 posts

Mortgage stress map:
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/03/ma...-stress-suburb/

It looks like the majority of Sydney has their finances under control, and about 10% or less are having major mortgage stress. Not too sure what the numbers represent. I'm interpreting it as number of potential owners with mortgage stress or repayment cost per month.

Either way good indicator as to all the potential defaults, which doesn't seem too bad. At worst it'll just be a few thousand extra houses on the market, which is probably a small dent in the statistics.
kagenn
post Mar 12 2019, 10:08 AM

26 posts

It looks like there's an update for the skilled migration list:
https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi...lists-announced

Interesting how they need these few roles:
Horse Trainer
Tennis Coach
Footballers - rugby/soccer? I thought with the number of people interested in these sports already it's a surprise for me to see this here.

Good luck to those applying.
ruztynail
post May 4 2019, 07:31 AM

Acrimonious Young Man
1,878 posts

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/e...ency-visa-april

Getting harder to get oz PR d.
ruztynail
post May 6 2019, 07:38 AM

Acrimonious Young Man
1,878 posts

https://landchecker.com.au/

the link is helpful for property hunting too.
kagenn
post May 6 2019, 06:48 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(ruztynail @ May 6 2019, 07:38 AM)
https://landchecker.com.au/

the link is helpful for property hunting too.
This one does look good. Thank you very much.

The thread seems to be pretty quiet now, thought it was in hibernation.
limeuu
post May 7 2019, 07:52 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

Going forward, with the tightening of visa conditions, it is likely less people will be able to qualify, and interest will subside.....

As with the latest rounds of invites, with points cut off at 80, almost nobody will be eligible without the full 20 English points....a near impossible task for most Malaysians....
strawberyeve
post May 7 2019, 09:13 AM

24 posts

Hi Guys,

Read this news about the newest changes will take place in Nov 2019. will it be say will be easy for those 189/190 to have higher score now to score a PR?

https://www.anzscosearch.com/points-test-visa-changes/

Recently published legislation introduces changes to the Points Test for General Skilled Migration visas commencing 16 November 2019.
These changes are relevant to existing Subclass 489,189 and 190 and the new Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 visa, which will also commence in 16 November 2019.

The changes to the points test will include:

10 points for Specialist Educational qualifications. Currently 5 points.
10 points for applicants with a skilled spouse or de facto partner (under 45 with Competent English, suitable skills assessment and with an occupation on the same skilled occupation list). Currently 5 points.
10 points for applicants who do not have a spouse or de facto partner or who have a spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen or a Permanent resident (New)
5 points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who has competent English (New)
15 points for applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory government, or who are sponsored by a suitable family member. These points are relevant to applicants for a Subclass 489 visa or the new Subclass 491 visa. Currently 10 points.
When all points except partner qualifications are equal, invitations will be ranked in the below order:

First: applicants with a skilled spouse or de facto partner.
Equal First: applicants without a spouse or de facto partner.
Second: applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who demonstrates Competent English but who does not have the skills to obtain skilled partner points.
Third: Applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who is ineligible for either competent English or Skilled partner points.
References:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019L00578
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F201...0Statement/Text

262 Pages « < 205 206 207 208 209 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0284sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:15 PM