262 Pages « < 190 191 192 193 194 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Australia V2, All About working in Australia

views

PepelePewPew
post Oct 18 2018, 02:32 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(teikwing @ Oct 18 2018, 04:52 AM)
Yep we were in Mascot. Wasn’t a fantastic suburb but the accessibility to the city, Inner West and Eastern Suburbs are just amazing. Kinda miss the convenience sometimes. Our ex unit was just opposite the train station so imagine the convenience. Was a duplex with about 100sqm of living space (2BR) - owner next door put up his unit for sale and we were really keen but just not willing to fork out $1m for a unit which is absurd (plus the max LVR for the area was only 70% back in 2017 so obviously even the banks thought it’s a high risk suburb with too much supply - Meriton was building heaps of apartments around us).

We never really travel to the city on weekends but it’s train for us regardless of day if we’re heading to the city.
I guess one shouldn’t really convert into MYR anymore once here (or at least that’s our view). It’s the same for every other living expenses such as food, travelling costs etc. We saved quite substantially before we moved here so I guess that helped massively when comes to dumping that downpayment towards the land and build. We were caught by the stamp duty though which was absurd.

Hills is more of a suburb for familes (heaps of young families here) so I guess if you’re looking to future-proof that’s one to be considered - we do get questions all the time still though as to why not a closer suburb with a slightly smaller and older house as some really is not willing to spend that much time on the road to work daily but I guess people do adapt (which we did although it was difficult at first).
Nah, I stopped converting as soon as I got my first Aussie pay. I was just saying if I were still in MY, I could have bought and lived comfortably in a $1.5m house in a nice area (think Desa Park City). Just a stupid rant in my head.

QUOTE(strawberyeve @ Oct 18 2018, 08:54 AM)
Supposedly to have ROM done in this Dec so we will have the marriage certificate. But something happen we gotta push to next year July together with the actual wedding ceremony.

When you provide photos do you need to have narrative down to describe what and when it was? As we are diy the whole thing.
Nope, no need. Photos with timestamps help, but not mandatory.
Garysydney
post Oct 18 2018, 02:36 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Oct 18 2018, 01:25 PM)
If you leave Australia permanent, but have income in Australia, you will be deemed a non-resident but your income will still be subject to taxes....at foreign resident rate....which is a flat rate with no relief.... so it's best to remain as official tax resident till your salary officially stops....
I have checked this quite thoroughly with the ATO (via my accountant) and they confirmed that as long as i am on leave (doesn't matter what time of leave) and have plans to come back to work (you wouldn't tell them otherwise, would you?), you are still considered a tax resident while on leave even though you are overseas. The key determination is whether you intend to return to work/live in Aust - if you have no intention of coming back to Aust to live then you will be considered a non-tax resident. It is very hard for ATO to prove that i am not intending to come back to live as my condition (super and place of residence) has not changed. If i am not on leave, then i must satisfy the 183/365 days stay to qualify as a tax resident.

I will start drawing on my super on retirement and all super returns and drawdowns are all tax free once we are fully retired (after 55 years of age)
Garysydney
post Oct 18 2018, 02:41 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Oct 18 2018, 02:32 PM)
Nah, I stopped converting as soon as I got my first Aussie pay. I was just saying if I were still in MY, I could have bought and lived comfortably in a $1.5m house in a nice area (think Desa Park City). Just a stupid rant in my head.
Nope, no need. Photos with timestamps help, but not mandatory.
It is very true, isn't it? Properties are so much more expensive in Sydney compared to KL. I always joke with my group of geriatric friends that 'you sell one property in Sydney, you can buy 3 in KL'.
PepelePewPew
post Oct 18 2018, 03:28 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Oct 18 2018, 02:41 PM)
It is very true, isn't it? Properties are so much more expensive in Sydney compared to KL. I always joke with my group of geriatric friends that 'you sell one property in Sydney, you can buy 3 in KL'.
So much more expensive if converted. If not, pretty much 1 to 1 actually. 2 years ago, I had the choice of buying a 800K+ condo unit in PJ or a 800K+ 2-storey terrace house in Setia Alam. All shelved for migration, for better or worse.
Garysydney
post Oct 18 2018, 03:43 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(PepelePewPew @ Oct 18 2018, 03:28 PM)
So much more expensive if converted. If not, pretty much 1 to 1 actually. 2 years ago, I had the choice of buying a 800K+ condo unit in PJ or a 800K+ 2-storey terrace house in Setia Alam. All shelved for migration, for better or worse.
When i go back to KL every 5 months (for a 5-week holiday), i spend a lot of time in Setia Alam because my wife has some siblings living there. My wife would stay at Setia Alam during this 5 weeks looking after her elderly father (bed-ridden). I would stay at Bangsar Baru during this period and would go visit my wife at Setia Alam every couple of days. I would buy quite a lot of fruits/vegetables/meat for her to cook and i enjoy driving around KL. I am so busy during this 5 week period because i still have a lot of friends in KL. It is so unlike life in Sydney where life is so boring!! I have more friends in Sydney compared to KL but life is definitely more exciting there in KL. I don't think i will have time to go LYN in KL when i retire while here in Sydney, i got so much time doing nothing.
kenji1903
post Oct 19 2018, 05:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,784 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Oct 18 2018, 05:19 AM)
I have actually done quite a lot of research into this as i was wondering whether i will still be a tax resident when i retire in Msia next year. Apparently by defn, you need to live here at least half the time (i.e. 183 days/yr) in Aust to be classified as a tax resident. I intend to take all my long service leave on half pay (i have more than 40 weeks LSL which equates to about 90 weeks on half pay). Together with all my annual leave, i will have close to 2 years of leave. I was wondering whether i will still be a tax resident during the 2 years (on leave) when i am in Msia so i checked with my accountant - he tells me that since i have been in the same job with an Aust employer, i will be classified as a tax resident even though i am on leave with no intention of going back.

I have also called up the ATO about my super and was told all my super is tax free once i fully retire (i.e. no more working after 55 years old) even though i live overseas. This is important to me as i want to leave my super as is for a while. Apparently if you are on welfare then you will not be able to retire in Msia and still claim the welfare (like the old age pension). Since my wife and i are self-funded retirees, i am free to live anywhere in the world.
once you are deemed tax resident, there's no turning back as far as i know, have not researched that far yet tongue.gif
but the "intention to live is Australia" is a vague term
all the best in your retirement smile.gif

This post has been edited by kenji1903: Oct 19 2018, 05:53 AM
kenji1903
post Oct 19 2018, 05:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,784 posts

QUOTE(Red_rustyjelly @ Oct 18 2018, 01:02 PM)
thx for the advice.

actually on and off i am living in aussie. just that i dont move permanently because my company in Msia still doing good.

I also applied ATO to declare my income in aussie which is 0. but there is a line they put taxable income on my FD, lol. but is AUD 0 because is very less amount like few bucks.
interest earned on savings is also income... you will only be taxed maximum if you don't supply TFN to the bank, else it will just be taxed based on your income tier
Garysydney
post Oct 19 2018, 06:52 AM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(kenji1903 @ Oct 19 2018, 05:50 AM)
once you are deemed tax resident, there's no turning back as far as i know, have not researched that far yet tongue.gif
but the "intention to live is Australia" is a vague term
all the best in your retirement smile.gif
The 'intention to live in Aust' is only applicable in my case which is quite unique as not many people would live overseas for 2 years on leave. Firstly, people don't have that much leave and secondly not everyone in Aust would want to live overseas for prolonged periods (of time).

It is incorrect to state that once you are a tax resident, you will always be a tax resident forever (if that is what you mean by turning back). You need to maintain the 183/365days/yr 'stay in Aust' condition to remain a tax resident.

This post has been edited by Garysydney: Oct 19 2018, 07:40 AM
tippman
post Oct 23 2018, 05:06 AM

Regular
1,640 posts

The full employment mythand why our youthare
missing out
By business editor Ian Verrender
Updated Mon 22 Oct 2018, 7:50am

Talk about luck. What are the chances of a sudden plunge in the jobless numbers right before a crucial byelection?
On Thursday, as Prime Minister Scott Morrison went into overdrive in a desperate attempt to stave off defeat in
Wentworth, the official unemployment numbers delivered what should have been an election-winning gift.
September's jobless numbers slipped to just 5 per cent, down from 5.3 per cent the previous month; the lowest level in
six years.
That's the magic number, the elusive holy grail of employment policy, the level at which most economists and our very
own Reserve Bank reckon we are motoring along at full employment.
As events transpired, voters clearly had other issues on their minds and it now appears the "jobs and growth" mantra
that has been the Government's catchcry for the past three years is falling on deaf ears.
Perhaps, it's because the official portrait of our economy no longer gels with those working part-time and struggling
with the lowest rate of wages growth on record.
It's worth remembering that you only have to work one hour a week to be classed as employed. And while the growth
in full-time jobs easily has outstripped casual jobs in the past year, vast numbers of Australians are underemployed.
That's particularly the case for our youth. It's a trend that is worsening and that's seen a serious erosion of job security
for younger Australians. At some point, that will curb spending behaviour and our economic health.
What happened to wages growth?
According to economic orthodoxy, once unemployment dips to 5 per cent, we start treading into inflationary territory.
At that point, or so the theory goes, the supply of labour becomes so tight that workers have the upper hand in wage
negotiations.
To cover the extra wages bill, firms are forced to jack-up prices, and inflation takes off.
It's a fundamental belief, known as the Phillips curve, held dear by most economists. Except this time, it has failed to
deliver.
Wages growth has been sluggish here and across the developed world. Inflation, the great cure-all for a deeply
indebted world, so far has failed to materialise.
It's not just here. In America, unemployment has dropped to 4 per cent, the lowest since the Summer of Love in 1967,
and while wages have begun to lift, particularly for lower-paid unskilled hospitality jobs, it is still tepid.
When a job just isn't enough
So, what's gone wrong? Some fear the theory may no longer apply, that wages growth may permanently remain
subdued.
Business
10/23/2018 The full employment myth and whyour youth are missing out - Business - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-22/full...ection=business 2/2
One of the biggest causes has been the dramatic shift towards part-time work in the past three decades. That may suit
some. But an increasing number of Australians with jobs simply don't have enough work to eke out a decent living.
They are the underemployed and their ranks are growing.
Underemployment has overtaken unemployment as the major concern when it comes to jobs and, as this graph below
from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows, the gap has been widening for the past four years.
Globalisation, which saw lower-skilled jobs shift to low-income countries in the mid 1990s, began the first wave. More
recently, new technology, particularly the rise of the digital world and artificial intelligence, has made it easier to source
technically skilled labour offshore.
Skilled workers no longer are competing only against locals. They now have to vie for jobs against foreign workers in
the developing world, who can undercut them on price.
The truth behind the jobs boom
Since coming to power in 2013, the Government has trumpeted its record on employment. When Tony Abbott was
elected, he promised to create a million new jobs in five years.
That promise has been fulfilled. But how hard was it? Australia's population growth has been steaming ahead in the
past few years.
According to the World Bank, it now sits at 1.6 per cent, outstripping India at 1.1 per cent and the US at 0.7 per cent.
More people create more activity and hence, more jobs. Looked at another way, without all those new jobs, our
unemployment rate would have soared.
Again, if you just look at the headline numbers, there's an equally cheery message about youth unemployment as well.
During our last recession in 1992, almost 20 per cent of our youth were idle. Today it is down to 11.2 per cent.
But youth underemployment has soared, particularly in the decade since the financial crisis, as this graph from the
Australian Bureau of Statistics highlights.
Macro business economist Leith van Onselen highlighted the disparity after Thursday's ABS numbers were released.
"Since the GFC hit 10 years ago, overall youth employment has risen by just 1 per cent in trend terms, well below the
8.3 per cent lift in youth population over this time, and full-time jobs are down an incredible 18.1 per cent," he wrote.
Compare that to the rest of the population, where overall jobs are up 20.7 per cent and full-time positions have lifted
16.7 per cent.
Any parent with kids trying to break into the workforce knows these problems only too well.
The lack of bargaining power, even among new graduates and highly qualified youth, has seen an incredible erosion
of conditions and pay. Many work on short-term contracts, with little or no security.
While many business leaders argue the merits of a "flexible workforce", if the current trends are not arrested, the
impact will flow through the economy.
Lower wages and insecure employment mean less spending. That hits corporate earnings and economic growth.
It should also be a wake-up call for politicians wanting to sound credible to start looking a little beyond the headline
numbers when trying to spin a tale in an election year.
Topics: business-economics-and-finance, unemployment, community-and-societ
tippman
post Oct 23 2018, 11:12 AM

Regular
1,640 posts

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-23/port...-media/10418676

A Port Augusta City Council nominee says a social media video targeting his race is the first time he has
experienced racism in the local community.
Sunny Singh, the owner of a taxi company and founder of the city's Sikh church, was the subject of a video posted to a
national trucking Facebook page.
The video shows a man in a truck directing racial slurs at a life-sized cut-out made from one of Mr Singh's election
placards, which is eventually run over by the truck.
Mr Singh said he could not watch the whole video.
"None of the people who know me or have met me in the past, they could not watch the whole video," he said.
tippman
post Oct 29 2018, 05:23 AM

Regular
1,640 posts

https://www.theage.com.au/business/workplac...2.html#comments

A landmark study has found a silent underclass of vulnerable Australian workers is owed an estimated billion dollars with almost a third paid $12 per hour or less – almost half of their legal entitlements.

The University of NSW (UNSW) and Univerity of Technology Sydney (UTS) research found that fewer than one in ten migrant workers has taken action to recover unpaid wages, even though they know they are being underpaid. The remaining nine in ten suffered wage theft in silence.

Bassina Farbenblum, a senior law lecturer at UNSW said the study confirmed that Australia has a large silent underclass of migrant workers.

"The scale of unclaimed wages is likely well over a billion dollars," she said.

"There is a culture of impunity for wage theft in Australia. Unscrupulous employers continue to exploit migrant workers because they know they won't complain."

The survey of 4322 temporary migrant workers from 107 countries found that for every 100 underpaid migrant workers, only three took their complaint to the Fair Work Ombudsman. More than half of the low proportion of workers that complained said they recovered nothing.
limeuu
post Nov 8 2018, 06:02 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

An application for 189 was submitted in April with 75 points, was invited for processing the next round, and just received grant....

7 months....

Fyi
Red_rustyjelly
post Nov 8 2018, 06:41 PM

Enthusiast
846 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Nov 8 2018, 06:02 PM)
An application for 189 was submitted in April with 75 points, was invited for processing the next round, and just received grant....

7 months....

Fyi
before they increase, i was at 70, required points was 60.

i got grant ITA within 4 months, at the 6-7 months i got the PR.
limeuu
post Nov 8 2018, 06:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(Red_rustyjelly @ Nov 8 2018, 06:41 PM)
before they increase, i was at 70, required points was 60.

i got grant ITA within 4 months, at the 6-7 months i got the PR.
Things has changed....

Minimum is now 65....to get immediate invitation for a non pro rata profession, you need 75....80 for pro rata.....

Processing is now officially 6-9 months....from as fast as 3 weeks just 2 years ago....
selvenz
post Nov 9 2018, 09:48 AM

Enthusiast
841 posts

everything is delayed including citizenship which has moved from under 6 months few years ago to almost 15 to 18 months now.

abanga
post Nov 11 2018, 01:27 AM

Getting Started
94 posts

Wanted to ask, i hv 1.5 yrs exp.. my job is very niche. If i wanna try to get sponsorship from oz company, possible? Read smewhr that i need at least 2 yrs exp to get the tss visa? When company sponsor visa, do i bear the cost?
abanga
post Nov 11 2018, 01:27 AM

Getting Started
94 posts

Wanted to ask, i hv 1.5 yrs exp.. my job is very niche. If i wanna try to get sponsorship from oz company, possible? Read smewhr that i need at least 2 yrs exp to get the tss visa? When company sponsor visa, do i bear the cost?
PepelePewPew
post Nov 11 2018, 10:06 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(abanga @ Nov 11 2018, 01:27 AM)
No first hand experience with TSS before, but my 2 cents...
First, figure out which anzsco code your "very niche" job falls under:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/worki...occupation-list
That will tell you which skill assessment authority you need to get assessed, and what visa options are currently available for that anzsco code, TSS only being one of them. Yes, but 2 years at the time of decision, which means it is possible to lodge prior, but why risk. Employer pays for the bulk of it, that's for sure, and I'd imagine there's some marginal fees for you to pay, but I'm not sure. At least you need to pay for English exam, skill assessment, and medical check(?).
If your job is so niche and in demand, that none of the "standard" pathways apply to you, your sponsoring employer can go for labour agreement pathway.
https://migrationalliance.com.au/immigratio...-go-online.html

Personal opinion...
I cannot imagine an Australian company to go through the trouble of TSS/Labour Agreement paperwork and payments, to hire a skilled overseas worker with only 2 years experience, UNLESS your skillset is indeed very niche and in high demand (locally scarce). With that in mind, beware of job/migration scams, and happy job hunting.
limeuu
post Nov 11 2018, 08:57 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

The TSS is brand new, just replaced the 457, don't know of anyone getting the visa yet.....

But I suspect it will be similar to the 457..... and you will have to pay the visa cost yourself.... unless your job offer specifically indicate you can claim the cost back....
tippman
post Nov 28 2018, 05:03 AM

Regular
1,640 posts

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-an...126-p50ifk.html

Earlier this year, I went on a date with a man who told me he had a thing for Asian women.
We were sitting across from each other at a table in a fancy restaurant and he stood up to do a
head-to-toe scan of me.
"Your body is just so soft and perky and tanned," he said.
I told myself to run. Here was yet another man with what is not-so-jokingly referred to as
Yellow Fever: the lazy and discriminatory hyper-sexualisation and fetishisation of Asian
women, primarily by white men, solely based on race.
When I tried to break it off with him, he texted: "I hate you. Thankfully, there are thousands of
gorgeous Japanese, Chinese and Korean girls in Sydney, so I will be okay."
This is not unusual. I have spent most of my adult life expending psychological and emotional
energy fending off men like him. And don’t tell me you can’t help who you’re at
11/28/2018 Because I am small and Asian, I am fetishised bysome white men
https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-an...126-p50ifk.html 2/3
"Yellow Fever" is not a preference. It’s a racial prejudice.
I have a small body. I have an Asian face. Women like me are handcuffed to a double bind. We
have to fight off men who infantilise us because of our small bodies, and who also believe the
Asian face carries some special gene that makes us soft-spoken, gentle and nonconfrontational.
This is both oppressive, and racist.
I continue to be astounded by the number of white men who still see me and immediately
assume I am "submissive, docile, compliant, accommodating, sweet in the kitchen, tiger in the
bedroom".
My body is viewed as a literal and symbolic site upon which to construct their fantasies of the
perfect Asian lover.
The pernicious perception that most young Asian women have petite, child-like bodies is not
necessarily untrue. What’s frightening is how easily these men enforce their narratives on us.
It’s a painful effrontery, not a compliment. These guys expect something of us and from us,
based on their myth about what Asian woman are, and, when we don’t meet those
expectations, they have the power to so easily hurt us.
Equally painful is realising the extent to which the very narrow representations of Asian
women in the West have created the idea in the minds of these men that because of our
perceived submissiveness, they can be afforded a sense of ownership and possession of us.
I recently entered my 30s. I’ve had a long and complicated history with white men who found
me attractive, though I have never quite understood the underlying drivers of their attraction
to Asian women, per se, over women of other racial backgrounds.
Sometimes, I have felt I have found a person who loved my body as a carrier of the person
within, only to realise that, to him, my body was simply a fetish and a curiosity.
“My body is viewed as a literal and symbolic site upon which to
construct their fantasies of the perfect Asian lover.”
With each new romantic partner, I need to make the same anxious assessment: Are you
interested in me because of who I am, or because of the shade of my skin and the Asian face
I’m wearing? I am never sure how to respond.
Beneath what is projected onto me, is my relationship to my Asian heritage; I have to fight
against the Taiwanese cultural indoctrination that to be self-sacrificing and selfless is the
ultimate way of being for a woman.
I have found these men unwilling to confront their own bias and prejudices. They operate
under a system of racial stratification (themselves as superior), leaving Asian women to take
on the disproportionate burden of fulfilling, resisting, or negotiating their stereotypes.
I wonder whether I will go through my life in this country upending stereotypes. It is not my
job, or the job of other Asian women, to do that.
11/28/2018 Because I am small and Asian, I am fetishised bysome white men
https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-an...126-p50ifk.html 3/3
These men should scrutinise their so-called "preferences" and work towards modifying racially
unjust and untrue perceptions. I am not here for their education, sexual or otherwise.
I blocked the man who sent me the aggressive, race-based text when I rejected him. I hope he
examines and confronts his prejudices. Only then will women from Asian backgrounds be
respected as much as we should and treated as whole human beings – not accessories that
embody derogatory fantasies.

262 Pages « < 190 191 192 193 194 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0289sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:02 PM