Working in Australia V2, All About working in Australia

views

limeuu
post May 4 2017, 06:46 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(teikwing @ May 4 2017, 04:50 PM)
I don't quite get it - under the proposed new ruling, now that PRs are eligible for HECS which is equivalent to a deferred loan (repayment shall kicks in post grad + hits income threshold), the bad & rotten ones can still pack up & head back to home country once grad without repaying no?
as a bone fide pr, there is no question the former system is preferred compared to the newly proposed system....

if a pr is thinking of scamming the system like in the past, i am sure they will put some checks in place...

for those who only work temporary elsewhere and eventually return to oz, it is not that much of an issue, the oz gov will eventually get the money back...

for those who intend to leave permanently after, yes, they may put in some controls like soony suggested...to discourage such people...

in any case, there is as yet inadequate information on how this is going to work out...and a strong possibility the gov may not be able to get this past the senate, maybe even the lower house....
kenji1903
post May 4 2017, 07:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,784 posts

QUOTE(yeowwwai @ May 4 2017, 01:56 PM)
HAHA

Why do they deduct years from our experiences?

Is it because of the test result? Or something else?
Do readup their website, its quite comprehensive

There's valuation on whether ur degree is an IT major or minor and whether it's equivalent to Aussie IT degree or not, many more criteria
Salary
post May 4 2017, 09:34 PM

On my way
664 posts

I've just lodged my 189 visa last month as an exit plan.

The job market outlook for mechanical engineers aren't looking too healthy at the moment, not only in Australia but all over. Planning to make my move once things start to pick up.

Any mechanical engineers here who's made the move carrying along 5 - 8 years worth of experience? Care to share your job hunt experience?
limeuu
post May 4 2017, 10:50 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(Salary @ May 4 2017, 09:34 PM)

The job market outlook for mechanical engineers aren't looking too healthy at the moment, not only in Australia but all over. Planning to make my move once things start to pick up.

Any mechanical engineers here who's made the move carrying along 5 - 8 years worth of experience? Care to share your job hunt experience?
you are cutting it close...there is a high chance engineers will be removed from the sol in 2 month's time...so pray you get invited for processing quick....
Salary
post May 4 2017, 11:20 PM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 4 2017, 10:50 PM)
you are cutting it close...there is a high chance engineers will be removed from the sol in 2 month's time...so pray you get invited for processing quick....
It's already been on the watchlist for the past 5 years laugh.gif. Can guarantee you it won't be removed from the next SOL.

Either way, I've already been invited and visa lodged and paid. Medicals also passed. There will be no more invites for mechanical engineers until July as this fiscal year's quota has already been exhausted mid-April. Fingers crossed for a direct grant.

Wondering how much migration agents charge these days. Those who are looking to apply, I encourage you to do it yourselves. The tedious part is collecting documents - agents only upload them for you. I've heard plenty of fear mongering from so-called agents and friends who use them, but two hours looking through the entire process probably saved me a month's worth of salary.

This post has been edited by Salary: May 4 2017, 11:25 PM
limeuu
post May 5 2017, 12:09 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

I think it's for real this time....the job market in Oz is tough, the resources industry is down, and the general mood of the government and people is protectionism....

The recent changes to the 457 visa is the first step...

But if you are already in process, you will be fine, will not be affected by 1 July changes...

There is no need to use migration agents if you are applying for 189/190....
yeowwwai
post May 5 2017, 12:52 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(kenji1903 @ May 4 2017, 07:47 PM)
Do readup their website, its quite comprehensive

There's valuation on whether ur degree is an IT major or minor and whether it's equivalent to Aussie IT degree or not, many more criteria
So did you manage to get the visa?

How's the job market in Australia for IT industry or telecommunication or RF industry?

Is it bad or ok?
xphonerz
post May 5 2017, 05:36 AM

Casual
345 posts

QUOTE(yeowwwai @ May 5 2017, 12:52 AM)
So did you manage to get the visa?

How's the job market in Australia for IT industry or telecommunication or RF industry?

Is it bad or ok?
I can say there are alot of demands for IT job here, just a matter whether you can get it or not biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by xphonerz: May 5 2017, 05:36 AM
jianh
post May 5 2017, 07:19 AM

What custom title???
920 posts

Me.
Gotten my 189 Aug last year.
Though i havent make my move, still in Malaysia atm.
Mechanical engineer of 5 years.
Job hunt? NIL so far sad.gif
Soony
post May 5 2017, 07:48 AM

I love Photography !
2,131 posts

I'm a mechanical engineer but studied uni here and started work straight after. It was hard for me especially as an international student with no work experience but luckily manage to secure an offer before I graduated.

Market is a bit bleak but be flexible, don't just focus on one discipline, take up opportunities like project engineering, planning or cost engineering those kind of roles.
selvenz
post May 5 2017, 09:01 AM

Enthusiast
841 posts

QUOTE(jianh @ May 5 2017, 07:19 AM)
Me.
You will find your way for sure !.
Salary
post May 5 2017, 09:23 AM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(jianh @ May 5 2017, 07:19 AM)
Me.
Hiya. Late congrats on getting the grant smile.gif

You're currently searching for jobs from Malaysia right? Did you provide a Malaysian address & mobile on your CV or an Australian one?

To my knowledge, the chances of securing a return call for a professional job from overseas is pretty much non-existent, with exceptions of course. Any plans of making a move there to hunt for jobs?

I plan to make the move once the economy picks up, which probably wouldn't be happening anytime within the next year or two. Jobs are hard to come by everywhere at the moment, Malaysia included, so I'm holding on to mine for now.
Salary
post May 5 2017, 09:38 AM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(Soony @ May 5 2017, 07:48 AM)
I'm a mechanical engineer but studied uni here and started work straight after. It was hard for me especially as an international student with no work experience but luckily manage to secure an offer before I graduated.

Market is a bit bleak but be flexible, don't just focus on one discipline, take up opportunities like project engineering, planning or cost engineering those kind of roles.
I'm open to anything engineering related bar sales, no issues with switching industries as well. I'm lucky enough to have dabbled enough in pretty much everything enduring through project life cycles through to maintenance.

Problem is breaking into the market as an experience hire and picking up a starting base - thinking of Perth or Brisbane. Whereabouts are you based?

I was in Sydney before. Plenty of opportunities in the manufacturing front, but the cost of living is ridiculous.
limeuu
post May 5 2017, 11:48 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

I appears those working in oz now, and those applying for 189/190 are oz graduates....

wonder if there are people applying who are not graduates of oz...
selvenz
post May 5 2017, 01:19 PM

Enthusiast
841 posts

Maintenance is a big industry.
teikwing
post May 5 2017, 01:27 PM

Dah Macan?
3,239 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 5 2017, 11:48 AM)
I appears those working in oz now, and those applying for 189/190 are oz graduates....

wonder if there are people applying who are not graduates of oz...
I am a pure M'sian grad (never left the country for work or studies before) & I knew heaps of people as such within my social circle although I do admit most PRs are OZ grads though.
selvenz
post May 5 2017, 01:34 PM

Enthusiast
841 posts

I am not oz grad ? but oz grads working for me smile.gif
Nemesis1980
post May 5 2017, 04:22 PM

Regular
1,066 posts

Anyone who's quantity surveyor, be quick. They gonna pull this plug on the upcoming SOL revision
Soony
post May 5 2017, 04:42 PM

I love Photography !
2,131 posts

QUOTE(Salary @ May 5 2017, 09:38 AM)
I'm open to anything engineering related bar sales, no issues with switching industries as well. I'm lucky enough to have dabbled enough in pretty much everything enduring through project life cycles through to maintenance.

Problem is breaking into the market as an experience hire and picking up a starting base - thinking of Perth or Brisbane. Whereabouts are you based?

I was in Sydney before. Plenty of opportunities in the manufacturing front, but the cost of living is ridiculous.
Currently based in Perth as I studied over here, cost of living in Perth is also on the high side. I'm currently running projects as a project engineer, more of a personal choice as I started off being a mechanical engineer.
limeuu
post May 5 2017, 05:52 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(teikwing @ May 5 2017, 01:27 PM)
I am a pure M'sian grad (never left the country for work or studies before) & I knew heaps of people as such within my social circle although I do admit most PRs are OZ grads though.
I suppose it depends on professions, but you have no problems with getting your non Oz qualification registered?....

262 Pages « < 125 126 127 128 129 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0278sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:10 AM