Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Bain & Co interview

views

cannyeo
post Nov 14 2015, 11:57 PM

Looking Up
609 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 14 2015, 11:18 PM)
Seriously, in all the companies I worked in, I have rarely seen consultants come in to advice us.

Business must be quite small.
Did you know who step-in to advice Mahathir in 1997 recession? Without McKinsey I think he wouldnt have the gut to negotiate with World Bank.

There are alot of O&G companies, government bodies and industry leaders in Malaysia that rely on these consulting firms.

They mostly serve the senior management or actually the board of directors, so you wouldn't see them around.
daidzz
post Nov 15 2015, 12:13 AM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 14 2015, 10:18 PM)
Seriously, in all the companies I worked in, I have rarely seen consultants come in to advice us.

Business must be quite small.
Either huge amount of ignorance or troll alert tongue.gif
rockstarlive
post Nov 18 2015, 05:57 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(daidzz @ Nov 14 2015, 12:38 PM)
I graduated from Uni in June - so I applied for the fresh grad (pre-mba) position at McKinsey - it's called the Business Analyst Role.

The Post-MBA role at mckinsey is called the 'associate' position.

smile.gif
Congratz! Mind sharing a little how you landed the job at McK? Thanks bro!
daidzz
post Nov 20 2015, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(rockstarlive @ Nov 18 2015, 05:57 AM)
Congratz! Mind sharing a little how you landed the job at McK? Thanks bro!
I applied in June and my interview process started in July.

1. CV Screening
2. McKinsey Problem Solving Test
3. First Round Interviews (I had two)
4. Partner/Final Round Interviews (I had three)
5. Offer

You applying for the BA role as well?

smile.gif
Noregrets
post Nov 20 2015, 04:42 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

Good for you.
Always good to get into consulting companies.
I have experience dealing with Bain a few months ago - 3 months project.
But the office here is small so they had to send in their Singapore and Indonesian associates for this project.
But consultants are consultants and they pick our minds, do some research and come up with a great looking report.
Something we can do ourselves except that we don't have that much time. But it is also good to have some outside people looking at things as we can be blind to our everyday environment.
rockstarlive
post Nov 21 2015, 10:06 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(daidzz @ Nov 20 2015, 04:31 PM)
I applied in June and my interview process started in July.

1. CV Screening
2. McKinsey Problem Solving Test
3. First Round Interviews (I had two)
4. Partner/Final Round Interviews (I had three)
5. Offer

You applying for the BA role as well?

smile.gif
I did but got rejected after PST. Oh well sad.gif
daidzz
post Nov 24 2015, 04:53 AM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 23 2015, 06:56 PM)
Machiam ni also ignorance. Giler ke.
Nope
daidzz
post Nov 26 2015, 05:41 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 24 2015, 08:46 AM)
World doesnt revolve around bain & co...n boston comsulting. U need to get a life. Boston consulting office is so small they need to rent a suite here
I know it certainly doesn't. I don't work for either bain or bcg but I am knowledgable enough to know what share of the strategy consulting industry that mckinsey, bain & bcg take up, and how large that is considering the number of consultants that these 3 firms employ.
cool.gif

This post has been edited by daidzz: Nov 26 2015, 05:41 PM
Xylos
post Nov 26 2015, 11:09 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 26 2015, 06:54 PM)
You are even more deluded, mr so-called knowledgable.

The 3 firms does not have much exposure of consulting biz in malaysia. That is my comment. PWC alone probably employs more people than your 3 favourite firms combined.
You would be surprised just how big of a presence MBB has in MY.

PwC is not comparable as they dont do pure strategy consulting. And their consulting arm is not that big anyway.
daidzz
post Nov 27 2015, 04:58 AM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 26 2015, 06:54 PM)
You are even more deluded, mr so-called knowledgable.

The 3 firms does not have much exposure of consulting biz in malaysia. That is my comment. PWC alone probably employs more people than your 3 favourite firms combined.
I'm not deluded at all.
First of all, I was never referring to MBB's market share of the malaysian strategy consulting industry, I was referring to their market share of strategy consulting worldwide.
Furthermore, nobody is doubting that Deloitte or PwC have more employees. Again if you read my previous post I clearly was highlighting the amount of revenue per consultant, which is undoubtedly higher in MBB firms compared to PwC or Deloitte, even in Malaysia.

cool.gif

feynman
post Nov 27 2015, 12:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 27 2015, 08:16 AM)
Yeah but i was first talking abt level of exposure of these firms in malaysia not global !

I was saying i dun see these firms around...my frens dun talk ab them...i myself havent seen them...hvg work for 3 big listed co here.
You don't see them doesn't mean they are not around.

It also means you are not senior enough in the organisation to interface with them. Your friends included.

Listed companies has got no bearing on whether McK is engaged or not. Fact is, if it is a Msian operation of an international firm, the engagement is done aboard. Decisions are not made here. The likeliest C-suite engagement for Asian operations of a MNC would occur in SG or HK....not KL.

The only local companies big and rich enough to engage them are your PETRONAS, TNB and other larger GLC's in the field. If you work for say Nestle or Citibank........you won't see them, as strategic decisions are not made here.

feynman
post Nov 27 2015, 12:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 27 2015, 12:18 PM)
Which is precisely my point. The exposure for these consulting firms in Msia isn't that much.
That's the thing...you didn't understand what I have said.

They are actually very prominent in the C-suites of our GLC's.

you work for a public listed company.....likely an MNC or a small msian entreprise. In which case, even if you are senior enough in the Msian operations, you don't get to interface with them because strategic decisions are made in Europe, US, SG or HK (if pertaining to APAC operations). I don't think you are senior enough in our MNC's here anyway.

I am in the opinion that you are not a senior person in a GLC too....so you won't see them even though they are there.
daidzz
post Nov 27 2015, 03:11 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

Which is precisely my point. The exposure for these consulting firms in Msia isn't that much.
Pertaining to what Feynman has said - it is true that MBB firms famously only deal with higher level management and C-Suite executives. If you are a C-Suite executive in a multi-billion dollar company in Malaysia I'm fairly sure you'd have seen them if the company can afford what is the quite frankly outrageously high fees they charge.

If by 'exposure' you mean working for every other company then you're right, they don't do that - because not every company can afford them (or would want to spend that amount of money on consultants). But if you're referring to the biggest corporations in the country- including government owned ones, then you are mistaken, because MBB firms do in fact advise these said entities.

Also, offices for these firms aren't that big because a) yes, there aren't that many consultants (McKinsey for example only has about ~40-45 consultants and a grand total of ~70 'colleagues' in Malaysia) but also b) the consultants are very rarely in the office, which is why there isn't a need for a large office. They spend one day a week in the home office and the rest at the client site.

This post has been edited by daidzz: Nov 27 2015, 03:13 PM
HawkreiN
post Nov 27 2015, 11:14 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(Xylos @ Nov 26 2015, 11:09 PM)
You would be surprised just how big of a presence MBB has in MY.

PwC is not comparable as they dont do pure strategy consulting. And their consulting arm is not that big anyway.
And most would think the same. They do have Strategy& (formerly Booz) but remain somewhat small in KL.

QUOTE(daidzz @ Nov 27 2015, 04:58 AM)
I'm not deluded at all.
First of all, I was never referring to MBB's market share of the malaysian strategy consulting industry, I was referring to their market share of strategy consulting worldwide.
Furthermore, nobody is doubting that Deloitte or PwC have more employees. Again if you read my previous post I clearly was highlighting the amount of revenue per consultant, which is undoubtedly higher in MBB firms compared to PwC or Deloitte, even in Malaysia.

cool.gif
Congrats on your offer. Take it easy, I know you are trying to keep the facts right. But sometimes, I'd just smile and walk away - you can't structure the rest of the world!
daidzz
post Nov 28 2015, 12:29 AM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(HawkreiN @ Nov 27 2015, 11:14 PM)
And most would think the same. They do have Strategy& (formerly Booz) but remain somewhat small in KL.
Congrats on your offer. Take it easy, I know you are trying to keep the facts right. But sometimes, I'd just smile and walk away - you can't structure the rest of the world!
Thanks smile.gif You're right. nod.gif
Topace111
post Nov 28 2015, 11:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

MOE paid them 8 digits for assistance in drafting the education blueprint.
Exposure is small indeed ...

Topace111
post Nov 28 2015, 11:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 27 2015, 11:57 PM)
So if they are sooo big, then why are the consulting officers here so small. For eg, Mckinsley office has to share with some shipping company on the same floor.

I worked in celcom b4, last time accenture came.

I do understand what you said, I didn't say they are invisible in malaysia, just that they're not so prominent here.
KLCC rental not cheap lol. They are like the elite commandos / black ops as compared to normal soldiers in consulting terms (when compared to Big4s)

Accenture consultants normally deals with low-level or mid-level personnel. Mostly focus on tech matters. Strategy is not their forte per se.

MBB deals with high-level management. As most of these and P&C, I am quite sure the CEO won't share these matters with all levels of staff on what is being consulted.
For example, you think MAS CEO will share on the company restructuring plans with staff?

feynman
post Nov 30 2015, 09:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Nov 27 2015, 11:57 PM)
So if they are sooo big, then why are the consulting officers here so small. For eg, Mckinsley office has to share with some shipping company on the same floor.

I worked in celcom b4, last time accenture came.

I do understand what you said, I didn't say they are invisible in malaysia, just that they're not so prominent here.
Gosh...........you really don't understand the business, do you? Consultants do not work at the company's offices.....They work on-site. The only reason why they still maintain a bureau is just for client entertainment....Some BD meetings with C-suite executives can take place at the consultant's office.

It is also the case where consultants need not be based in one country to do work in that country, they can fly in from any part of the world. Hence the travelling lifestyle of consultants. Again, this doesn't mean they are not prominent in Msia....it only means that if you are not a Msian, you probably don't want to live in KL where the lifestyle options of offerings pale in comparison to those of SG or HK.

You speak about Accenture and the same applies. For the headcount of a similar sized firm in industry, Accenture would need to take up one whole building. Yet, they only have one floor.

You still don't understand it's not the visibility that counts.....

One can have a prominent project but no one knows about it..........that is usually the case for strategy projects. 3-4 people in a team. At any passing look, it's unremarkable. Your idea of prominence appears to be characterised by loud clatter of publicity and visible number of workforce deployment. Prominence in Strategy is defined by value of the output.

This post has been edited by feynman: Nov 30 2015, 09:44 PM
feynman
post Dec 1 2015, 08:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Dec 1 2015, 06:41 PM)
Why not? I worked for an MNC, we rolled out a big project, a lot of hoohaah...publicity. Because the CEO wanted to get everyone involve across the board. Which I won't name the company because i want to protect my identity. Its a big restructuring project, the company believe that it would make a big change in the way it operates. Change in system, change in software, change in personnel (moving from one part to another), consultants visibility is across - we can see them everywhere.

Instead of a worthy debate, you keep harping on "you don't understand", why don't you start a bout of insults for a change. I know what you are trying to do.

Aiyah enuf lah. Don't want to argue with you.
unfortunately....minions won't understand so........

Vinci777
post Dec 2 2015, 01:59 AM

No Title
1,613 posts

I've worked with ppl from BCG; twice. One in finance group and another in a GLC.

Both projects, they are here mainly for short term( approx 3 months). Basically what I see they do is take the hat off their clients and define the strategies and KPIs on behalf (of the clients strategy dept). Once defined, most of the clients will hire 2nd level consulting firms like big 4 (focuses on operations consulting and advisory) or Accenture to do the execution. Deloitte and PwC have different arm for strategy. Monitor and Strategy&

And yeah BCG do have a smal team. Both projects consist around 3-5 members all came in suits and from different nationalities. Not sure of their values as from my experience, sometimes The KpI defined doesn't makes sense. LoL.

And another thing to quote:
Change in system, change in software, change in personnel (moving from one part to another), consultants visibility is across - we can see them everywhere.

The above are mainly operational and system implementations whereby you'll see most of the big 4 and Accenture being involved. What makes them decide to do those? Ask the MBB team who defines the strategy and CEOs KPIs that kick start all these activities so they probably came in months before any major transformation project is announced.

This post has been edited by Vinci777: Dec 2 2015, 02:03 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.67    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:07 PM