Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Studying in the UK V4

views

Strobe
post May 24 2018, 07:41 PM

18 posts

Guys I have a question regarding the cost of studying in UK
Roughly how much is the Fees and the living cost?

I understand that fees and living expenses largely depends on course and uni, however I really have not decided on my degree or uni.
I am from humanities background so my degree will definitely be in humanities, for uni, lets say top 20 like ucl, lse etc (no need to consider oxbridge)

Im really sorry I cannot provide the details for my question however I need to have a vague concept about how much money will be spent in that 3 years, I have to make some decisions, and if i cannot afford to study in the UK, I have to make some changes in plan

If you really cant estimate the cost, please share on how much you spent when doing your degree there. Thanks a million
Strobe
post May 24 2018, 08:49 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ May 24 2018, 08:32 PM)
I am sending my son to one of the university you mentioned so I can roughly give you an idea ....it ranging from RM550k too RM600k for 3 years .
Living expenses inclusive right?
Thanks a lot
Strobe
post May 24 2018, 09:21 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ May 24 2018, 09:08 PM)
Yes, all in based on current pound exchange rate . However, bear in mind that there will be an annual increment of around 5%
Alright
Looks like studying in UK is indeed expensive
There goes my dream

Thanks once again and anyone else who is studying in UK pls shed some light too
Strobe
post May 26 2018, 06:23 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(Vryon @ May 26 2018, 06:32 AM)
Well, I think I could give you the rough figure I had spent in the UK for the past 3 years (finishing my degree in University of East Anglia).

I think I had spent roughly RM350K-RM400K (RM80k in school fees and roughly RM35K for living expenses and I am living very comfortable) in total including school fees and living expenses. It is certain that UEA is at the top 15 in the list but not as well-known LSE or UCL but I am very satisfied with the learning environment and all the support given by my fellow lecturers.

I have friends who manage their time really well while they study and still manage to cut 50% of their living expenses just doing some part-time (roughly 20 hours of work per week, let's say 2-3 shifts of work is really reasonable). However, if you're considering studying at university in the city such as London or Manchester definitely you're looking into paying RM500K+- in total for your degree.
I see
Seems like living expenses really makes a difference while fees wont differ too much?
Thanks a million for the figure and suggestion, will look into it
Strobe
post May 27 2018, 03:52 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(Vryon @ May 26 2018, 08:15 PM)
Well, it depends where you study but it will be around £14K-£22K. My tuition fees start from £14.5k for A&F with an annual increment 5%. Warwick Business School could cost me £22.5k (2018 enrollment fees). But the cost of living in my place is around £9,000 per year (9 months in total and I come back for summer) which I used to pay my rent (£400/month), utilities (£30-50/month) and still have £550 to spare for food and some entertainment (I spent roughly £70+- weekly just on food if I were to cook at home most of the time)

If I were to compare to my friends who live in London, rental itself you're looking to pay at least £700/month and travelling cost to the university and how often you eat out is another factor that could add up in your cost.
Aight outside london and big cities seems affordable. Thanks a lot for the detailed information, really appreciate it.
Strobe
post May 27 2018, 09:21 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(eddydo @ May 27 2018, 05:41 PM)
I personally feel that if it is top uni like ucl, lse, kcl etc the higher living cost in London is justifiable. You get better employee engagements and better networking opportunities.

Part time jobs do pay slightly higher in central London compared to other cities!
True but that is if I can get into those unis tongue.gif
Thank you nonetheless

QUOTE(Mr.dupe @ May 27 2018, 08:38 PM)
For London Unis, you are looking at around 21~26k GBP per year for tuition fees and around 1.3k GBP per month for living expenses. so you may spend a total of 30 to 50k GBP per year in London
Thanks for the comments
All the replies have been very helpful and point to similar figures
I think I now have an idea how much studying in london and other parts of UK cost
Thank you once again

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0365sec    0.57    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:20 PM