Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Studying in the UK V4

Jckc
post Sep 10 2018, 12:02 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ Sep 4 2018, 04:52 PM)
Thanks for the suggestion @touristking. smile.gif I probably won’t get it tho

Also, regarding vaccination, I’ve had the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccination once when I was little (when I was a year old I think). Do I still need to get another dose?
The MMR is part of your childhood immunisation.
If you have completed 2 doses of MMR and has proven records, it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, I recommend getting tested for antibodies/have the booster dose anyways.
(You can do this at your GP)
Jckc
post Sep 10 2018, 12:03 AM

Casual

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ Sep 4 2018, 02:37 PM)
Ah okay, thanks! smile.gif I’ll probably get it when I arrive in the UK but if I wanted to do it now, are there any places in Malaysia (Penang specifically) that offers the meningitis vaccine?
Most private hospitals +/- clinics should be able to offer the vaccine. But I'm not sure myself.
ConfusedWriter
post Sep 10 2018, 02:08 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Sep 9 2018, 10:08 PM)
Don't think there is much else. The passport and the results should do
Ah okay, thanks! Also, how early in advance should I book my train tickets for this December? Will it be cheaper to buy two single tickets as opposed to one two-way ticket? The Virgin trains website seems down atm.

QUOTE(Jckc @ Sep 10 2018, 12:02 AM)
The MMR is part of your childhood immunisation.
If you have completed 2 doses of MMR and has proven records, it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, I recommend getting tested for antibodies/have the booster dose anyways.
(You can do this at your GP)
QUOTE(Jckc @ Sep 10 2018, 12:03 AM)
Most private hospitals +/- clinics should be able to offer the vaccine. But I'm not sure myself.
I’ve already gotten my meningitis vaccine last week. I currently have one dose of MMR but I’ll try asking my GP when I get to the UK about a second dose.

This post has been edited by ConfusedWriter: Sep 10 2018, 02:12 PM
Eurobeater
post Sep 10 2018, 04:21 PM

Casual

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ Sep 10 2018, 02:08 PM)
Ah okay, thanks! Also, how early in advance should I book my train tickets for this December? Will it be cheaper to buy two single tickets as opposed to one two-way ticket? The Virgin trains website seems down atm.
I’ve already gotten my meningitis vaccine last week. I currently have one dose of MMR but I’ll try asking my GP when I get to the UK about a second dose.
For the train tickets, there shouldn't be any difference in buying the tickets as they are all sold on a per journey basis. The cheapest ones are the Advance Single tickets which should be available about a month or two before the journey starts.

For the website, you can also check out National Rail's website to book the tickets. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

If this also cannot, can try the other train service operators website. The prices should all be the same. Here are a few
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk
https://www.greateranglia.co.uk
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk
ConfusedWriter
post Sep 13 2018, 08:00 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Sep 10 2018, 04:21 PM)
For the train tickets, there shouldn't be any difference in buying the tickets as they are all sold on a per journey basis. The cheapest ones are the Advance Single tickets which should be available about a month or two before the journey starts.

For the website, you can also check out National Rail's website to book the tickets. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

If this also cannot, can try the other train service operators website. The prices should all be the same. Here are a few
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk
https://www.greateranglia.co.uk
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk
Ah okay, thanks for the links! smile.gif When I travel from York to Heathrow in Dec, I would have to change trains at least twice in London. Is it hard to navigate through the London Underground? I’m worried I won’t be able to find the train I’m supposed to board in time.

Thanks again in advance!
eddydo
post Sep 13 2018, 10:12 PM

vroom vrooom~
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ Sep 13 2018, 08:00 PM)
Ah okay, thanks for the links! smile.gif When I travel from York to Heathrow in Dec, I would have to change trains at least twice in London. Is it hard to navigate through the London Underground? I’m worried I won’t be able to find the train I’m supposed to board in time.

Thanks again in advance!
London underground's tube is very frequent so you don't have to bother checking the time. Direction wise, download city mapper, or use Google maps, they are very accurate, including arrival time etc etc.

York to Heathrow? of course you change trains, one is train one is tube its different.

get ur rail card trust me, you save on tube as well.

for longer distance travelling (eg from London to york) , try Trainline, they have a surcharge for every booking you make but so much more convenient. or you could search for the best price on Trainline and then book through the individual train operators (eg. West midland, virgin East Coast to name a few).

This post has been edited by eddydo: Sep 13 2018, 10:16 PM
ConfusedWriter
post Sep 18 2018, 11:55 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(eddydo @ Sep 13 2018, 10:12 PM)
London underground's tube is very frequent so you don't have to bother checking the time. Direction wise, download city mapper, or use Google maps, they are very accurate, including arrival time etc etc.

York to Heathrow? of course you change trains, one is train one is tube its different.

get ur rail card trust me, you save on tube as well.

for longer distance travelling (eg from London to york) , try Trainline, they have a surcharge for every booking you make but so much more convenient. or you could search for the best price on Trainline and then book through the individual train operators (eg. West midland, virgin East Coast to name a few).
Ah noted, thanks so much for the reply! smile.gif
wiraone
post Sep 18 2018, 06:44 PM

Who cares about all the stars?

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ Sep 18 2018, 11:55 AM)
Ah noted, thanks so much for the reply! smile.gif
Already in UK? My daughte flew in on Saturday and it was such a loooong queue at the border control, almost 3 hours to get through at Heathrow.
Eurobeater
post Sep 18 2018, 09:50 PM

Casual

QUOTE(wiraone @ Sep 18 2018, 06:44 PM)
Already in UK? My daughte flew in on Saturday and it was such a loooong queue at the border control, almost 3 hours to get through at Heathrow.
What airline? If she is at Terminal 4, expected a long queue biggrin.gif
ConfusedWriter
post Sep 20 2018, 03:06 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(wiraone @ Sep 18 2018, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Sep 18 2018, 09:50 PM)
What airline? If she is at Terminal 4, expected a long queue biggrin.gif
Yea, I just arrived today. The queue wasn’t that long tbh, took about 15 minutes for me to pass through border control. I guess it’s because I flew on a weekday?
zeng
post Sep 20 2018, 05:05 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ Sep 20 2018, 03:06 AM)
Yea, I just arrived today. The queue wasn’t that long tbh, took about 15 minutes for me to pass through border control. I guess it’s because I flew on a weekday?
Are you sure that's Terminal 4 ?
Eurobeater
post Sep 20 2018, 08:18 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zeng @ Sep 20 2018, 05:05 PM)
Maybe was a late night arrival? Even so also hard for me to believe it took just 15 mins to clear immigration lol biggrin.gif
ConfusedWriter
post Sep 21 2018, 02:38 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zeng @ Sep 20 2018, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Sep 20 2018, 08:18 PM)
Maybe was a late night arrival? Even so also hard for me to believe it took just 15 mins to clear immigration lol biggrin.gif
Yea it was Terminal 4, also wasn’t expecting to get through border control that quick lol Was expecting a much longer queue tbh

I took a late night flight from Penang and arrived in Heathrow at 9am.
CateBoo
post Sep 21 2018, 03:57 PM

Group: Newbie

Yes, I came back to UK end of Aug at T4, I was the first one on the line. Two months ago, relative came to visit and took them more than two hours to clear the immigration. It is unpredictable.
mystalyzer
post Sep 22 2018, 01:09 AM

Getting Started

Can get this for faster entry to the UK

Attached Image
Eurobeater
post Sep 22 2018, 02:14 AM

Casual

QUOTE(mystalyzer @ Sep 21 2018, 06:09 PM)
Can get this for faster entry to the UK

Attached Image
But this is expensive no? £70 for a year. I suppose if you want to skip the queue a bit, it may be worth it. But I think most students will not mind waiting an extra 30 mins to an hour if it means can save on that £70. biggrin.gif
mystalyzer
post Sep 22 2018, 04:34 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Sep 22 2018, 02:14 AM)
But this is expensive no? £70 for a year. I suppose if you want to skip the queue a bit, it may be worth it. But I think most students will not mind waiting an extra 30 mins to an hour if it means can save on that £70. biggrin.gif
only worthwhile for frequent travallers i suppose

32 Pages « < 30 31 32Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0728sec    2.80    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 12:07 PM