39 Pages « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Studying in the UK V4

views

eddydo
post Mar 31 2018, 10:03 PM

vroom vrooom~
1,260 posts

QUOTE(faithfulmango @ Mar 31 2018, 07:23 PM)
Hi guys, will be heading to UK in Sept for a year and have some questions
1) What's the best way to bring my living expenses over? (minus bank draft)
a) leave the money in my local account and withdraw via the ATM there
b) international wire transfer?
c) maybank2u visa direct (RM10.6 service charge up to 7500 MYR/day)
d) other options i didnt list

i've heard HSBC premier has perks but unfortunately i cant open one and my parents doesnt have that either.
2) What's the best way of paying my fees while Im still in Malaysia? Its around 15000 pounds. (excluding bank draft option), im not sure if there are other options available.
a) wire transfer
b) card
c) other options

I read around and even though Malaysia was classified as a low-risk country, it's still possible that they would request for my financial documents if asked (~12k pounds/9 months+tuition), so assuming i have both that 12k pounds and my tuition fees (15k) in bank draft, can i just use that as proof of financial document? The reason being is i probably would only have exactly enough for both and im unable to afford to leave the 27k in my local bank as proof if i were to bring a bank draft over. However, im most likely going to pay the school fees in advance while im in Malaysia and my only concern is how do i bring the 12000 over if i need to leave it in my local bank as proof of financial status.

edit: Actually if they do request for the financial documents would it be during the visa interview only? Does this mean if i've cleared my visa interview, i could just buy a bank draft with the 12k in my bank with no issues as i wouldnt need to leave it inside anymore or will they request it when im at UK? Thanks

Thanks and sorry if im over complicating stuffs
if u get your visa already I don't think you need to maintain that balance. it'll be fine if the money goes to your school fees/uk living expenses.

you'll need to have at least one bank account here in the UK. idk much about the details of the process but all I know is i get charge £12 per transaction (from myr to £, around £3-4k, its charged by the malaysian side)

Sorry can't help much cause I bank draft my way through

This post has been edited by eddydo: Mar 31 2018, 10:13 PM
wiraone
post Apr 1 2018, 05:53 PM

Who cares about all the stars?
3,839 posts

I'm using e-remit to send money to my daughter's in UK. They charge RM10.60 per transaction and no charge in the UK bank side. For the first year, I paid the first year fees via credit card. Managed to persuade the bank to increase my temporary credit limit so I could do the payment. For the second year, I guess the best for me is to send the money by e-remit. Check the university if they could do bank transfer to pay for the fees. For a certain amount, e-remit may requires you some documents to be submitted to BNM. I believe anything exceeding RM20K.

On the financial documents, I did get a letter from a bank but they don't ask for it during the visa interview. But as precaution, please have the minimum amount inside your or your parents bank account for at least 28 days and a letter from a bank to say so.
AaronFPS
post Apr 2 2018, 08:10 PM

1,657 posts

can i get a recommendation for agents to further my design studies in uk?
djack
post Apr 3 2018, 06:45 AM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(liew_jls @ Mar 7 2018, 09:06 PM)
my friend, it's challenging to get a job in UK nowadays. Depending which field you are in as well. What are you in IT?

Over here, usually we apply via recruiter or linkedIn, you can go to LinkedIn and have a look.

For those who are in IT especially in software engineering, HackerX is a good place for you to expand your networking and put yourself a higher opportunity to get a interview. It will be free if you sign up for their newsletter.
yes im in IT... hackerx looks good. let me try it
wiraone
post Apr 11 2018, 01:47 PM

3,839 posts

Just wondering if any of you who've finished your degree, how hard is it to do the T4 to T2 conversion? My 2nd daughter is graduating this summer and she has an interview with a local company. It seems the company is quite well versed with the visa since they're asking he to bring along her passport etc along during the interview. It will be a day long interview (briefing, individual interview, group work+interview etc.).
Flame Haze
post Apr 11 2018, 04:34 PM

Enthusiast
814 posts

QUOTE(wiraone @ Apr 11 2018, 01:47 PM)
Just wondering if any of you who've finished your degree, how hard is it to do the T4 to T2 conversion? My 2nd daughter is graduating this summer and she has an interview with a local company. It seems the company is quite well versed with the visa since they're asking he to bring along her passport etc along during the interview. It will be a day long interview (briefing, individual interview, group work+interview etc.).
It is not hard as long as the company is well versed with the visa and they can provide a certificate of sponsorship for your daughter. Sounds like the company is capable enough, mind giving the name? As long as your daughter gets the job offer, she'll be fine. The process goes like this:

1. Get job offer and certificate of sponsorship from the firm
2. Graduate
3. Submit visa application within UK along with degree cert, certificate of sponsorship, passport etc
4. Wait 2 months for visa to come back, she can't leave UK during that time
5. In Sep, get your tier 2 visa back, start work

Sos: Graduating this year as well, have 2 job offers at the moment. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

This post has been edited by Flame Haze: Apr 11 2018, 04:35 PM
wiraone
post Apr 12 2018, 08:13 AM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 11 2018, 04:34 PM)
It is not hard as long as the company is well versed with the visa and they can provide a certificate of sponsorship for your daughter. Sounds like the company is capable enough, mind giving the name? As long as your daughter gets the job offer, she'll be fine. The process goes like this:

2. Graduate
3. Submit visa application within UK along with degree cert, certificate of sponsorship, passport etc

Sos: Graduating this year as well, have 2 job offers at the moment. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Thanks, it is an engineering firm based in Leeds. Checking the T2 sponsorship, the company has a Tier 2 (A Rating) / Tier 2 General.
Mr.dupe
post Apr 12 2018, 08:42 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(wiraone @ Apr 12 2018, 08:13 AM)
Thanks, it is an engineering firm based in Leeds. Checking the T2 sponsorship, the company has a Tier 2 (A Rating) / Tier 2 General.
That only meant that they can apply for Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). I would suggest that you seek job description and check if it's a job that the company can apply the CoS. Not all job can convert into a T2 visa via the restricted CoS. I was offered a job last year in an engineering company, But because the official job description does not fall in line with the government description, they can't issue me a CoS through the normal route.
wiraone
post Apr 30 2018, 08:14 PM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 11 2018, 04:34 PM)

2. Graduate

She managed to get the job and wondering, if she finish her last paper and going to mainland Europe for a short holiday, will border officer allows her back as T4 visa student or she will get a visitor visa? If she'll be on visitor visa, she won't be able to convert into T2 isn't it?

Flame Haze
post May 1 2018, 02:37 AM

Enthusiast
814 posts

QUOTE(wiraone @ Apr 30 2018, 08:14 PM)
She managed to get the job and wondering, if she finish her last paper and going to mainland Europe for a short holiday, will border officer allows her back as T4 visa student or she will get a visitor visa? If she'll be on visitor visa, she won't be able to convert into T2 isn't it?
If she's on visitor visa, she won't be able to convert, game over have to come back to Msia. Best to go for a holiday before her course ends. For example, my course ends 30th June, it's safe to visit Europe and come back before 30th June, after that you run the risk of having your T4 confiscated.
wiraone
post May 1 2018, 10:20 AM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ May 1 2018, 02:37 AM)
If she's on visitor visa, she won't be able to convert, game over have to come back to Msia. Best to go for a holiday before her course ends. For example, my course ends 30th June, it's safe to visit Europe and come back before 30th June, after that you run the risk of having your T4 confiscated.
Thanks for the info.
ConfusedWriter
post May 7 2018, 09:46 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

Hi, I’ll be going to the UK in September this year to start my undergrad and I was wondering, do I have to renew my passport before applying for my Tier 4 visa?

My current passport expires in 2020 while my course lasts for three years and ends mid 2021.
eddydo
post May 7 2018, 10:30 PM

vroom vrooom~
1,260 posts

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ May 7 2018, 09:46 PM)
Hi, I’ll be going to the UK in September this year to start my undergrad and I was wondering, do I have to renew my passport before applying for my Tier 4 visa?

My current passport expires in 2020 while my course lasts for three years and ends mid 2021.
Congrats on your offer!

I don't think it's necessary, but just to be sure you can always call the visa centre and ask.

You'll be given a one time entry permit, and then when you arrive in the UK you will have to collect your Biometric Resident Permit (BRP card) from either the post office or your university. You'll always have to carry your BRP card upon reentering UK as it will act as your main visa.
Mr.dupe
post May 8 2018, 03:20 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

With BRP now, i don't think you need to renew your passport. although you will still require to renew them in London. Talk to them to be sure though
wiraone
post May 8 2018, 08:12 AM

3,839 posts

You can either 1) renew your passport to 5 year validity before submitting your visa application or 2) renew your passport while you're in UK, you need to send your passport application to Malaysia HC in London. You don't need to apply for a new T4 visa, if you need to get in and out of UK after your current passport expire, you need to bring your old passport along with you.

Option 1 will mean you'll waste few RMs for renewing your passport early, I think immigration can refund you only for 1 year. But it is less hassle in the end.

This post has been edited by wiraone: May 8 2018, 08:14 AM
ConfusedWriter
post May 8 2018, 11:52 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(eddydo @ May 7 2018, 10:30 PM)
Congrats on your offer!

I don't think it's necessary, but just to be sure you can always call the visa centre and ask.

You'll be given a one time entry permit, and then when you arrive in the UK you will have to collect your Biometric Resident Permit (BRP card) from either the post office or your university. You'll always have to carry your BRP card upon reentering UK as it will act as your main visa.
QUOTE(Mr.dupe @ May 8 2018, 03:20 AM)
With BRP now, i don't think you need to renew your passport. although you will still require to renew them in London. Talk to them to be sure though
QUOTE(wiraone @ May 8 2018, 08:12 AM)
You can either 1) renew your passport to 5 year validity before submitting your visa application or 2) renew your passport while you're in UK, you need to send your passport application to Malaysia HC in London. You don't need to apply for a new T4 visa, if you need to get in and out of UK after your current passport expire, you need to bring your old passport along with you.

Option 1 will mean you'll waste few RMs for renewing your passport early, I think immigration can refund you only for 1 year. But it is less hassle in the end.
Thanks so much for the help! I’ll probably be returning to Malaysia a few times so if I renew my passport in Malaysia before it expires (but after I’ve started my undergrad in the UK), am I supposed to apply to transfer the valid visa from the old passport to the new one?

wiraone
post May 8 2018, 12:34 PM

3,839 posts

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ May 8 2018, 11:52 AM)
Thanks so much for the help! I’ll probably be returning to Malaysia a few times so if I renew my passport in Malaysia before it expires (but after I’ve started my undergrad in the UK), am I supposed to apply to transfer the valid visa from the old passport to the new one?
I don't think you can transfer your visa from your old passport to the new one, but last time when I was in UK, renewed my passport in London, every time I got back in, I just brought my old passport along to show the visa stamp. That was quite sometime ago though, thing might change now.

As mentioned by Mr.Dupe, the BRP might be good enough.

This post has been edited by wiraone: May 8 2018, 12:37 PM
eddydo
post May 8 2018, 03:37 PM

vroom vrooom~
1,260 posts

QUOTE(ConfusedWriter @ May 8 2018, 11:52 AM)
The brp is like an additional card, like an ic.

The visa that you'll receive form VFS that will be in your passport is only valid for 1 entry. Upon entry, you'll have to collect your brp card.

Your brp will act as a visa from then on, accompanying your passport.
ConfusedWriter
post May 9 2018, 10:51 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(wiraone @ May 8 2018, 12:34 PM)
I don't think you can transfer your visa from your old passport to the new one, but last time when I was in UK, renewed my passport in London, every time I got back in, I just brought my old passport along to show the visa stamp. That was quite sometime ago though, thing might change now.

As mentioned by Mr.Dupe, the BRP might be good enough.
QUOTE(eddydo @ May 8 2018, 03:37 PM)
The brp is like an additional card, like an ic.

The visa that you'll receive form VFS that will be in your passport is only valid for 1 entry. Upon entry, you'll have to collect your brp card.

Your brp will act as a visa from then on, accompanying your passport.
Thanks so much again for the replies, they’ve been really helpful! biggrin.gif

I asked the British High Commission in Malaysia and they said that I can just apply for my visa with my current passport. When I renew my passport later on they will staple the new passport with the old one containing the valid visa.

This post has been edited by ConfusedWriter: May 9 2018, 10:52 PM
ConfusedWriter
post May 12 2018, 05:18 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

Hi again, I read that on the application form we’re supposed to include our previous travel history, but I’ve misplaced my first passport. What am I supposed to do in this situation? If I leave out my travel history under my first passport, will it significantly affect my application?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. ohmy.gif doh.gif One of my recent trips was to Hong Kong and they no longer use passport stamps so it’s not shown on my passport. If I include it in my application, how am I supposed to show proof of that particular trip?

This post has been edited by ConfusedWriter: May 12 2018, 06:02 PM

39 Pages « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0220sec    0.60    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:24 PM