Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Studying in the UK V4

ericlooiz
post Sep 19 2017, 07:48 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Just a little bit of update, I have reached London safely this early morning on UK time. Last night when I was about to fly to London on Qatar, my flight got cancelled and Qatar transferred me to MAS. My luggage weight are 37kg and MAS is charging RM270 for each kg. So I moved some of my items to a cabin bag and the final weight are 31kg and they allowed me to check in. For hand carry I took a cabin bag and a backpack. They didn't weigh the hand carry. MAS Economy Class is comfortable (for me) laugh.gif However, arrival time was delayed thus I missed my orientation today.

Booked a minicab since I missed the pickup service. Quite pricey but don't have much choice since I have 2 big luggages and 1 hand carry luggage with me so tube is really inconvenient. Currently typing this from my room and my university included a free giffgaff SIM card. Is it good or should I get other telco?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wiraone
post Sep 19 2017, 07:56 PM

Who cares about all the stars?
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(ericlooiz @ Sep 19 2017, 07:48 PM)
Currently typing this from my room and my university included a free giffgaff SIM card. Is it good or should I get other telco?
Giffgaff is quite good, it runs on top of O2, so coverage is good. For £10, you can get around 500 min/texts and 2GB data. Or you can try Three PAYG, £10 will give you 3000 min/texts but 1GB data.
+Quote Post
ericlooiz
post Sep 19 2017, 08:07 PM

Casual

QUOTE(wiraone @ Sep 19 2017, 07:56 PM)
Giffgaff is quite good, it runs on top of O2, so coverage is good. For £10, you can get around 500 min/texts and 2GB data. Or you can try Three PAYG, £10 will give you 3000 min/texts but 1GB data.
I guess I will just use giffgaff. Data is more important to me I think. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
eddydo
post Sep 19 2017, 11:43 PM

vroom vrooom~

QUOTE(ericlooiz @ Sep 19 2017, 08:07 PM)
I guess I will just use giffgaff. Data is more important to me I think. laugh.gif
Using giffgaff as well, they have a 9gb promo now for £18 ☺️

All the best in UK. If anyone need help in UK, you can contact me I'll try to help. Landed in UK yesterday evening with MAS as well heh

This post has been edited by eddydo: Sep 19 2017, 11:48 PM
+Quote Post
wiraone
post Sep 20 2017, 09:11 AM

QUOTE(ericlooiz @ Sep 19 2017, 08:07 PM)
If you're staying at university's halls, you probably doesn't need that much data smile.gif They're pretty much covered with eduroam wifi network.
+Quote Post
maryteh133
post Sep 20 2017, 02:26 PM

Group: Newbie

What is cheapest way to send money to UK r?

+Quote Post
ericlooiz
post Sep 20 2017, 04:52 PM

Casual

QUOTE(eddydo @ Sep 19 2017, 11:43 PM)
Using giffgaff as well, they have a 9gb promo now for £18 ☺️
All the best in UK. If anyone need help in UK, you can contact me I'll try to help. Landed in UK yesterday evening with MAS as well heh
I bought the £10 one. Comes with 2GB data. Maybe in the future I’ll get the others.

As a first timer in UK, everything seems good for now but I definitely will ask for help here if I need some help. Went to ASDA and Morrisons nearby my hall yesterday and bought some items for my first night such as duvet, toilet mat and towel. Is there a huge price difference between ASDA and Morrisons?
+Quote Post
eddydo
post Sep 20 2017, 06:31 PM

vroom vrooom~

QUOTE(ericlooiz @ Sep 20 2017, 04:52 PM)
I bought the £10 one. Comes with 2GB data. Maybe in the future I’ll get the others.

As a first timer in UK, everything seems good for now but I definitely will ask for help here if I need some help. Went to ASDA and Morrisons nearby my hall yesterday and bought some items for my first night such as duvet, toilet mat and towel. Is there a huge price difference between ASDA and Morrisons?
for daily groceries tbh for me not much, maybe cause I'm too lazy to survey and towards the end of my last term I tend to use Tesco delivery. I think the only exception is alcohol, towards December, Morrisons do sell 1L smirnoff for only £10! haig club 70cl for £10 omg and many other drinks for £10 (they did it last year and I stocked it up)!

I think if this is your first year and you'll be there for another 2-3 years you should try to get a member card of whichever supermarket u shop on to collect points to get extra rebate. 2 cents ☺️

This post has been edited by eddydo: Sep 20 2017, 06:37 PM
+Quote Post
wiraone
post Sep 20 2017, 07:15 PM

QUOTE(maryteh133 @ Sep 20 2017, 02:26 PM)
What is cheapest way to send money to UK r?
Try http://www.eremit.com.my, I have registered but yet to use it. The other method is by online transfer. Most UK banks will charge a flat rate of £6-8 per transaction for amount more than £100. Bank here will charge a minimum fees too.

I paid my daughter's first year fees by credit card, the most expensive way. Exchange rate around 5.85 a pound (probably inclusive of fees).

+Quote Post
wiraone
post Sep 20 2017, 07:18 PM

QUOTE(ericlooiz @ Sep 20 2017, 04:52 PM)

For duvet etc, do check your local argos store too.

This is the website I used most when I was in UK ages ago. They posted all the deals from online and your local stores.

https://www.hotukdeals.com
+Quote Post
djack
post Sep 20 2017, 10:15 PM

Getting Started

A money changer gave me some old pound notes . after googling, the currency is Elgar £20 notes: http://www.bbc.com/news/10096715 .. after checking, this currency is no longer in use and adviced to be changed at banks for newer currency.

can anyone pls confirm if these notes are still valid and used at any uk shops? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by djack: Sep 20 2017, 10:15 PM
+Quote Post
yanhui95
post Sep 20 2017, 11:01 PM

Already started

Just saw a question about transferring money to UK.

For small amounts, you can try the local fin tech MoneyMatch. It’s probably the cheapest way to send money abroad.

Check out the link below. I have not personally used it yet but it is regulated under BNM, hence should provide some assurance.

https://transfer.moneymatch.co

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
digitalz
post Sep 20 2017, 11:22 PM

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

There is always Wilko. For eduroam, do take note that they are extremely strict in certain unis. It means, no streaming/downloading or shit like that. I've seen warning emails sent to students from other unis.

As for telco, personally, I use three. Three is actually quite useful for traveling so it's just great. Feel at Home works very well in a lot of the countries that I travelled to for the past few years (this summer included).

How long will you all be in the UK? If for quite some time like me, just get the membership/loyalty cards for stores like Boots/Superdrug/Tesco etc etc etc. I have tons of them laying around my table.

If you get any notes that you feel that you are unable to use them in stores, just go to your bank and change them or deposit them. Also, if you still get the old 1 pound coins, time to use them before November. The newer coins will take over soon. Personally, the coins are extremely great for collection. I have collected different types of coins and is still trying to collect them all.

For first timers, have fun and have a good one ahead. smile.gif

This post has been edited by digitalz: Sep 20 2017, 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
Fawkes
post Sep 21 2017, 03:55 AM

On my way

If you have time, you could use this site to compare prices between supermarkets.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/
+Quote Post
ericlooiz
post Sep 21 2017, 03:16 PM

Casual

QUOTE(eddydo @ Sep 20 2017, 06:31 PM)
for daily groceries tbh for me not much, maybe cause I'm too lazy to survey and towards the end of my last term I tend to use Tesco delivery. I think the only exception is alcohol, towards December, Morrisons do sell 1L smirnoff for only £10! haig club 70cl for £10 omg and many other drinks for £10 (they did it last year and I stocked it up)!

I think if this is your first year and you'll be there for another 2-3 years you should try to get a member card of whichever supermarket u shop on to collect points to get extra rebate. 2 cents ☺️
For now I got everything from ASDA. There's an off license shop nearby my dorm selling cheap alcohol too. laugh.gif I'm just here for 1 year so don't think I'm getting the member card. My university is giving me a free NUS card tho.

QUOTE(wiraone @ Sep 20 2017, 07:18 PM)
For duvet etc, do check your local argos store too.

This is the website I used most when I was in UK ages ago. They posted all the deals from online and your local stores.

https://www.hotukdeals.com
I got it in ASDA already the first day. I will check out the link you sent the next time I need to buy any items. Thanks!

Planning to open a bank account now. Need some sort of letter from the university in order to open an account here as international student. There's a Barclays bank near my area so my top choice will be Barclays. Any review on this? I heard some banks will charge a monthly fee.
+Quote Post
eddydo
post Sep 21 2017, 05:20 PM

vroom vrooom~

QUOTE(ericlooiz @ Sep 21 2017, 03:16 PM)
For now I got everything from ASDA. There's an off license shop nearby my dorm selling cheap alcohol too.  laugh.gif I'm just here for 1 year so don't think I'm getting the member card. My university is giving me a free NUS card tho.
I got it in ASDA already the first day. I will check out the link you sent the next time I need to buy any items. Thanks!
Planning to open a bank account now. Need some sort of letter from the university in order to open an account here as international student. There's a Barclays bank near my area so my top choice will be Barclays. Any review on this? I heard some banks will charge a monthly fee.
Banks, just open whichever that is convenient, like for me last year there is a Santander bank branch in my uni, so I opened Santander.

If u do plan to travel alot, open Monzo as well (in your app store). It's like a prepaid card (something like a debit card) which uses mastercard rate without any additional fee.

Like for now I'm in Denmark and they use DKK.
Money Corp rate is £1:DKK7.06 (around there)
Monzo rate is £1:DKK8.39 LOL WITHOUT TRANSACTION FEE

like if I were to use Santander they charge £2 for non sterling transaction and another 6%. (I think, I can't rmb)

This post has been edited by eddydo: Sep 21 2017, 06:03 PM
+Quote Post
ericlooiz
post Sep 22 2017, 05:13 PM

Casual

QUOTE(eddydo @ Sep 21 2017, 05:20 PM)
Banks, just open whichever that is convenient, like for me last year there is a Santander bank branch in my uni, so I opened Santander.

If u do plan to travel alot, open Monzo as well (in your app store). It's like a prepaid card (something like a debit card) which uses mastercard rate without any additional fee.

Like for now I'm in Denmark and they use DKK.
Money Corp rate is  £1:DKK7.06 (around there)
Monzo rate is £1:DKK8.39 LOL WITHOUT TRANSACTION FEE

like if I were to use Santander they charge £2 for non sterling transaction and another 6%. (I think, I can't rmb)
Okay then I think I will just open Barclays since it's near my uni. I'll take a look at Monzo too. Thanks!
+Quote Post

19 Pages « < 17 18 19Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0582sec    3.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 08:07 PM