Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can ICE cause car's alternator to malfunction?

views

TSkEazYc
post Nov 5 2015, 04:08 PM, updated 9y ago

Regular
1,314 posts

Some story of how things happened.

My mom's car has been running this ICE thingy for about 10 years, before passing the car to me in 2010, the car started to have issue on not able to start up and need to jump start the battery in order to start, upon checking by the workshop people, it was the alternator that is malfunctioned, problem then solved after replacing with a new one.

Once i got the car and driving from 2010-2013, the alternator is having issue again and replacing a new one solve the issue as well, and right now at the moment i'm facing this issue also.

The car is a Proton Wira 1.5 if its a concern.

The setup is 2 amp, 2 small sub (10-12" i think), 4 speakers, 2 tweeters. (i not sure how to explain the proper map structure for the setup as i do not have knowledge on how ICE work, my mom is clueless too.)

germanwhiskers
post Nov 5 2015, 04:13 PM

30 posts

Hi what is the ICE thingy?
AlexReborn
post Nov 5 2015, 04:19 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(germanwhiskers @ Nov 5 2015, 04:13 PM)
Hi what is the ICE thingy?
In Car Entertainment

and this is ICE section of lowyat brah ;-;
germanwhiskers
post Nov 5 2015, 04:22 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(AlexReborn @ Nov 5 2015, 04:19 PM)
In Car Entertainment

and this is ICE section of lowyat brah ;-;
Oh ok.

I am working in vehicle industry. Mainly wholesale vehicle product.

The alternator spoils itself. Nothing can actually cause the alternator to spoil (unless u run over water).

I can 100% confirm this.

This post has been edited by germanwhiskers: Nov 5 2015, 04:24 PM
germanwhiskers
post Nov 5 2015, 04:24 PM

30 posts

Oh ya. Plus, 3 years is quite reasonable for alternator nowadays since mostly are re cond items (with warranty).

If u want a lasting one u need to purchase the original alternator for the car (more expensive and also no warranty).
AlexReborn
post Nov 5 2015, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(germanwhiskers @ Nov 5 2015, 04:24 PM)
Oh ya. Plus, 3 years is quite reasonable for alternator nowadays since mostly are re cond items (with warranty).

If u want a lasting one u need to purchase the original alternator for the car (more expensive and also no warranty).
so after 3 year it kapout its normal then ? ;-;
Zot
post Nov 5 2015, 04:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(kEazYc @ Nov 5 2015, 04:08 PM)
Some story of how things happened.

My mom's car has been running this ICE thingy for about 10 years, before passing the car to me in 2010, the car started to have issue on not able to start up and need to jump start the battery in order to start, upon checking by the workshop people, it was the alternator that is malfunctioned, problem then solved after replacing with a new one.

Once i got the car and driving from 2010-2013, the alternator is having issue again and replacing a new one solve the issue as well, and right now at the moment i'm facing this issue also.

The car is a Proton Wira 1.5 if its a concern.

The setup is 2 amp, 2 small sub (10-12" i think), 4 speakers, 2 tweeters. (i not sure how to explain the proper map structure for the setup as i do not have knowledge on how ICE work, my mom is clueless too.)
The alternator can only supply amount of current it can produce. If it can supply only 1A, then your ICE can only get 1A. Either the ICE sound is distorted or you cannot get the volume you wanted.

Maybe the alternator you replaced is not good like low quality alternative or just plain unlucky laugh.gif
TSkEazYc
post Nov 5 2015, 04:38 PM

Regular
1,314 posts

Thanks for all the comment, but is there any possibility that an aged amp will cause some instability of power usage?

Since i notice amp's box stated the wattage of the amp like PC's power supply, i'm worrying when an amp is aged very long time, the power output will become unstable.

This post has been edited by kEazYc: Nov 5 2015, 04:55 PM
eohl79
post Nov 5 2015, 04:55 PM

3 posts

Replace with recon alternator, china one or ori new unit? Recond/china one doesn't last long IMO
TSkEazYc
post Nov 5 2015, 04:57 PM

Regular
1,314 posts

QUOTE(eohl79 @ Nov 5 2015, 04:55 PM)
Replace with recon alternator, china one or ori new unit? Recond/china one doesn't last long IMO
I never checked as i put fully trust on the workshop people since we have been dealing for so many years, but i will check it out later if its ori or a recond one since i started to learn about cars, PC is getting boring lel.

This post has been edited by kEazYc: Nov 5 2015, 04:57 PM
craziechild
post Nov 6 2015, 12:28 AM

ICE HiFi Fanatic!
721 posts

just plain unlucky...

but if you wanna check the ICE setup... try with the power cables and the grounding cables first... i am leaning on both the cables are oxidized... wink.gif
PrinceQQ
post Nov 6 2015, 03:24 PM

1 posts

bro, it ice doesnt effected the alternator. mine more teruk than u.
proton wira all i think was same, remember alternator spoil might be kena water, u must know our car alternator was infront and not cover at all.. mine changed the alternator twice a year, first change was recond set, used for 5month then now i changed a new set bosch (rm300++).

remember to diy your daun pisang ya...hahaha
TSkEazYc
post Nov 6 2015, 03:34 PM

Regular
1,314 posts

QUOTE(PrinceQQ @ Nov 6 2015, 03:24 PM)
bro, it ice doesnt effected the alternator. mine more teruk than u.
proton wira all i think was same, remember alternator spoil might be kena water, u must know our car alternator was infront and not cover at all.. mine changed the alternator twice a year, first change was recond set, used for 5month then now i changed a new set bosch (rm300++).

remember to  diy your daun pisang ya...hahaha
When you mentioned bosch, i think the last i changed is also bosch too, will check with my foreman later.

But mind enlighten me what is daun pisang? You mean the cover for the alternator? rclxub.gif
PrinceQQ
post Nov 6 2015, 07:59 PM

1 posts

daun pisang was the cover for your wheel.
6942nole
post May 26 2021, 10:34 AM

Casual
313 posts

ICE certainly stress the alternator.

alternator has rated current and efficiency, eg. 70A 70%, which give you only 49A available.

then you need to match with your total all speakers RMS output, amps efficiency.

and get a ball park how much you stress your stock amp.

i would say, at 30~40%, that would be fine. higher than that, for heavy user, it wont last long.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:31 PM