Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Keyboard classes, Losing interest

views

TSsilverwave
post Nov 2 2015, 04:30 PM, updated 9y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

Hi all, i've been learning keyboard for about 2 years plus now and i've been contemplating whether i should stop my classes. I can play the basic music notes but my greatest weakness is playing according to the beat (metronome).

Reasons to stop:
1) Struggling to balance between work, studies and other activities (including keyboard classes)
2) Previous teacher was ok but there were many class cancellations and MCs. I'm not really used to the new teacher but sometimes i feel that the teacher is not teaching willingly (looks like forced to teach/replace the classes of the other teacher). I'm also seeing very slow improvement in myself.
3) I hardly have time to practice, losing interest and no motivation but i do not want the interest to end there.

What are the other options that i have to continue my keyboard journey?

Thanks. smile.gif
JoGaki
post Nov 3 2015, 07:15 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

If you dont have time to practise, that's the end....

Attitude is more important than day dreaming to become like Jordan Rudess

so, find time to practise.. then only you can move on..

IMO, playing music reduces stress.. my own experience
LeaSe*lineR
post Nov 3 2015, 09:34 PM

On my way
622 posts

Make your practice environment 100 time more interesting, at least install some software like GuitarPro, so u can play along with drum, bass and rhythm instead of using those boring metronome.

Challenge yr self, pick any song u like that nobody ever tab/chord on google yet. Use yr creativity, current knowledge and improvisation to cover yr own version of the song. Record it and later listen back after few day/week/month...u might say "OMFG how did i do that" or "OMG i'm so noob last month, i need to make new version of this" that's how 1 of learning progress goes...

If you willing to spend money for classes, choose someone sharing the same interest and passion. Example if u enjoy Nightwish/Helloween/Dream Theater/Stratovarius, if the teacher couldn't provide 30%-40% of the knowledge like the keyboardist does, why bother waste yr money lol just my 2 cent.
TSsilverwave
post Nov 4 2015, 03:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(JoGaki @ Nov 3 2015, 07:15 PM)
If you dont have time to practise, that's the end....

Attitude is more important than day dreaming to become like Jordan Rudess

so, find time to practise.. then only you can move on..

IMO, playing music reduces stress.. my own experience
I'm still trying to practice if i have time but i also feel i'm dragging myself to attend the classes.

Yes, it does reduce stress and i usually practice at 11pm at night just before going to bed.
TSsilverwave
post Nov 4 2015, 03:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(LeaSe*lineR @ Nov 3 2015, 09:34 PM)
Make your practice environment 100 time more interesting, at least install some software like GuitarPro, so u can play along with drum, bass and rhythm instead of using those boring metronome.

Challenge yr self, pick any song u like that nobody ever tab/chord on google yet. Use yr creativity, current knowledge and improvisation to cover yr own version of the song. Record it and later listen back after few day/week/month...u might say "OMFG how did i do that" or "OMG i'm so noob last month, i need to make new version of this" that's how 1 of learning progress goes...

If you willing to spend money for classes, choose someone sharing the same interest and passion. Example if u enjoy Nightwish/Helloween/Dream Theater/Stratovarius, if the teacher couldn't provide 30%-40% of the knowledge like the keyboardist does, why bother waste yr money lol just my 2 cent.
To be honest, i hate metronome. Will look into some other softwares.

I think i need to find someone with the same passion and interest, it should accelerate the learning and interest. Yea i feel paying almost RM50 per hour and not being satisfied is a waste. Thanks for the suggestion. smile.gif
SUSMatrix
post Nov 6 2015, 02:56 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

Why don't you play with some rhythm beat instead? Sure beats metronome and does the same thing which is to keep your count. Your keyboard got rhythm backing right?
TSsilverwave
post Nov 6 2015, 11:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Nov 6 2015, 02:56 PM)
Why don't you play with some rhythm beat instead? Sure beats metronome and does the same thing which is to keep your count. Your keyboard got rhythm backing right?
Rhythm beat as in backgrounds styles like latin, pop rock, dance etc? Yes it does.

What is rhythm backing?
SUSMatrix
post Nov 7 2015, 08:05 AM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Nov 6 2015, 11:15 PM)
Rhythm beat as in backgrounds styles like latin, pop rock, dance etc? Yes it does.

What is rhythm backing?
Sorry. i meant rhythm beat. biggrin.gif

So, is it better?
TSsilverwave
post Nov 7 2015, 02:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Nov 7 2015, 08:05 AM)
Sorry. i meant rhythm beat. biggrin.gif

So, is it better?
Haha, of course better but i need to get myself used to it. Usually another background music while i'm playing is a little distracting. I have to force myself to practice with it. biggrin.gif
karyan06
post Nov 11 2015, 05:39 PM

12 posts

You can only follow the metronome once you're very familiar, cos the metronome wont stop when you made mistakes

Well, it's more important to 'feel' the music, rather than merely following the metronome like a machine. I'm a piano teacher as well, I would recommend students to sing/hum the rhythm correctly first, then play to ensure they know how it goes.

Yes, feel it, don't be a robot!!
TSsilverwave
post Nov 11 2015, 11:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(karyan06 @ Nov 11 2015, 05:39 PM)
You can only follow the metronome once you're very familiar, cos the metronome wont stop when you made mistakes

Well, it's more important to 'feel' the music, rather than merely following the metronome like a machine. I'm a piano teacher as well, I would recommend students to sing/hum the rhythm correctly first, then play to ensure they know how it goes.

Yes, feel it, don't be a robot!!
I try to avoid metronome if i can, it's really annoying to my ears. I've been trying to practice with the rhythm beat lately with a slower tempo.

Yes, my first teacher also has been telling me to sing/hum/tap with the feet. For me, once i know the rhythm of the song, it's much easier to play. Not to say it's in the perfect beat but quite close. I tried counting the beat but it's not consistent sometimes.

I do feel like a robot sometimes tongue.gif
LeaSe*lineR
post Nov 13 2015, 02:12 AM

On my way
622 posts

OK, play along metronome with piano/keyboard definitely harder than guitar LOL. I did try intro Silent Jealousy - X Japan it took forever to get the vibe of the rhythm ><
ahtcl9105
post Jun 30 2016, 09:17 PM

14 posts

pick up your favourite song and play along, starting with chording on beat, then slowly add in flowers as you getting more used to it, cheers~
dyp
post Aug 24 2016, 08:41 AM

14 posts

Try compose your own music. Even by using looping F G Em Am transition will bring me so much fun.
jonFreeze
post Jun 9 2017, 03:38 PM

15 posts

Not sure if its relevant to ask here. But ive been searching high and low for keyboardist for my 5 piece band. We plan to play for events, functions and gigs once the line up is completed. All that's left to look for now is a keyboardist. Based in Klang Valley. Please pm if this interest you.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0253sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:34 PM