Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University Top Law School in Malaysia (BAC and ATC), UPDATED : Info from LLB preview ATC

views

alsree786
post Aug 14 2007, 02:41 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

ATC has probably the best UOL results record among all the schools, Brickfields will probably be considered the best for CLP results. I dun think the latter offers EU law, so if you need that subject opt for ATC.

I just heard that MR Reuben has left ATC, not sure whether its true. But if so, thats another big loss on their part. Another point, Brickfields teaches subject by subject, whereas ATC teaches all subjects simultaneously throughout the course.

Have you considered Nirwana College? They have restarted under Mr Murali and have a great lecturer-student ratio, which i think is important when it comes to individual student development. There were a few crap lecturers, but they have been replaced, and a few improvements are being introduced. I would recommend them especially if you are doing your Part I.

As for their website, they are currently getting a new server and initiating a total overhaul of the entire IT infrastructure, so i guess its down for a while. Hope this helps!
alsree786
post Aug 20 2007, 07:37 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

[quote=wornbook,Aug 20 2007, 08:11 AM]
The disadvantage with the UOL external programme is that you won't get a chance to go overseas. The one year's exposure, even in an 'inferior' uni, has the potential to be very very beneficial. Unless going overseas is not an option for you?
No. According to the BSB website, the minimum is a 2:2. But a vast majority of students who undertake the BVC will have firsts. Pupillages for barrister training are very very very very competitive and seriously, a student with a 2:2 even from Oxford hasn't a hope in hell of landing a pupillage. The prohibitive cost of the BVC will keep ou students who don't fance their chances from taking it - no point going into massive debt if you won't succeed in the end.

And that's assuming the student even gains admission into the BVC, which is also competitive. They consider more than just grades at the admission stage. It might be different for international students. But as a general rule, BVC applicants and students have either firsts or high 2:1s.

Well actually the entry for the BVC is a minimum of a 2:2, and they are not that strict, well at least for international students for i have a few friends with average 2:2s in there, one has completed and passed her Bar exams at Lincoln's. It is the pupillage that kills, for competition is really really stiff, and is the main deterrent for potential international students intending to do the BVC.

I do agree that the UOL is not "harder" than local or twinning courses, but the hurdles mainly lie in those few days a year, where UOL external students have to sit for an exam, set by a foreign examiner, whom they have probably met at most once, and on which their entire degree is based upon. It is definitely easier to do twinning courses, but then again, the universities will usually look at your A levels before awarding u a transfer, so your ALE/STPM marks count. So if you got two passes which probably allows u to do UOL, it may not be good enough for a Cardiff Uni, or Leeds, or Manchester LLB UK transfer.

It all really depends on what you intend to do, i dun really believe in rankings, well, not if u stay in Malaysia at least. Its not that much of a meritocracy. Every course that you do has pros and cons, whether you want the flexibility and a UK Degree from UOL(which would help if u intend to migrate to UK :-) im considering it), or the local LLB which allows you to learn (in depth) about local laws and practices (constitution) without the need to do the CLP later is all up to you. Arm yourselves with what you think you can use to your best interests.
alsree786
post Sep 29 2007, 03:32 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(aaron4d @ Sep 29 2007, 12:34 PM)
Personally i fell if u hav the money its better to do the twinning programmes in taylors or help than go to atc or brickfields. these colleges offer better campus life plus they have prestigious twinning partners as in redaing for taylors and manchester and sheffield for help. Even ATC and BAC twinning programmes don't offer such prestigious partners. U can get involved in mooting competitions and debates wic don't normally happen at bac or atc coz their too busy concentratin on exams..........

Plus u can go  overseas as compared to the external.....
If u dont hav the money, it is betta to do it locally in MMU coz u dont hav to sit for clp n u get involved in 'real' campus life!
I did share your view on the "campus life" issue, before i registered for UOL external...and i still agree it has the potential to make your university life more fulfilling in terms of a total learning experience, CCAs and so on.

alsree786
post Sep 30 2007, 06:37 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

UTAS....KDU programme...

well, im not sure about the environment and everything, but in terms of ranking and prestige, i would say pretty average. Most of the other twinning programmes which involve UK unis would definitely be a better choice, if u want to consider studying in the UK.

alsree786
post Sep 30 2007, 04:31 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(wornbook @ Sep 30 2007, 11:23 AM)
I don't know about that... UWE Bristol and Hertfortshire aren't anywhere near prestigious. Others - Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Northumbria, Oxford Brookes - are better, but not obviously better choices than UTAS.

If possible, go for the red-bricks. There are a surprising number of decent red-brick unis who twin with Malaysian colleges.
Firstly, this post is strictly based on rankings posted by independent sources, and i by no means intend to offend anyone. Just wanted to post some sources in terms of rankings for easy reference if required. :-)

I would definitely agree on UWE and Hertfordshire, though i reckon that Cardiff is definitely a league above the rest of the mentioned universities. In Malaysia, the main UK Law twinning unis one should look at are manchester, leeds, cardiff, sheffield and maybe liverpool, exeter and reading. All these universities rank in and about the top 40 law schools in the UK by Guardian. With the exception of Exeter, they all rank in the THES 2006 top 200 overall university guide (2007 guide not out yet i think). If you look at subject specifically, http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/goodun...sub=21&x=37&y=7, then for law, THES ranks Cardiff at a lowly 38, but still above the universities u mentioned. Im not sure why THES ranks Cardiff so lowly on their law programme, but coupled with the ranking by THES overall and by Guardian, i would definitely say its MUCH better than the others you mentioned.

If you were to refer to the SJTU top 500 university guides, you would see that overall UNI of Tasmania is in the bottom 500 of that list.

if you were to view an australian source http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/publicat...e%20Summary.pdf , you would see that for law, Uni of Tasmania is 12th in this survey among Australian Universities. Article dated Nov 2006.

If you were to view http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings/, you would see that overall Uni of Tasmania is still average among its other local universities. Honestly i''ve never heard of Flinders university...so something that ranks below it...well!

Basically i did not look at one ranking specifically, i looked at subject specifically and overall, based on the numerous well known ranking sites. Of course all the ones i mentioned are free to view, so feel free. I do not have information from sources that require you to pay. But THES, Guardian and SJTU are highly regarded for their ranking system so i follow them.
alsree786
post Oct 1 2007, 04:24 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

yeah, honestly, i agree with the CLP bit, it is definitely the toughest hurdle if u intend to practice. But honestly i am not sure what makes it so difficult...the exam based format? the workload? or the "quota?

Anyway, i again agree that in Malaysia if ur degree is not from a top tier university, then it does not really matter...the rest are the rest. But for ppl like me, who eye possible migration options, then it matters. I admit i care too much about rank and prestige, and i BLAME it on my upbringing in Singapore, the most critical meritocracy society around.
alsree786
post Oct 1 2007, 07:48 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(wornbook @ Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM)
IMO, the university prestige factor in migration is over-rated. Unless you're planning to migrate as a fresh grad (next to impossible) and are an international student trying to stay back, it's the work experience that counts. Not the university's name. Who cares whether you came from Oxford or UWE Bristol when you've got 10 years experience at the top end of the market?

And anyway, a first class degree from a mid-tier uni won't be a massive disadvantage in the job market. Sure, Oxbridge on a CV looks great. But employers look at a whole other range of factors... at least, the ones overseas do.

For me, the benefits of going to a top university lies more in the exposure and experience rather than future employability (except for that first job). Better lecturers, resources, peers tend to push students on to greater heights.
I somewht agree with u, but my opinions stem from my experiences in singapore...am still trying to forget it all, but its not working...:-(. If i try to justify my opinions, i'll just get mad at myself.

alsree786
post Oct 21 2007, 12:08 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(DDSFan8 @ Oct 20 2007, 08:26 AM)
Hey. I need serious advice here

I already have a degree is Communication but I want to study law and become an attorney

Should I take LLB or do CLP? Which one? By the way, I don't want to be an attorney here but in another country.
err...u need a LLB to do a CLP...the CLP is a practicing certificate that will allow u to be a member of the Malaysian Bar. Since you already have a degree i would suggest doing the UOL external graduate entry route...you can complete ur LLB in two years if u work hard enough! Whether they allow u to pursue that route would depend on the recognition of ur current degree.

And since you want to go overseas doing a local LLb programme with a Local Uni would be pointless coz it takes about 4 years (not sure whether they have a grad entry route) and strictly in my opinion, if u intend to go overseas, it would be better to get a degree from a more internationally recognised Uni.

More importantly, where do u want to go? The Singapore Bar does not recognise twinning and External Law programmes, so u have to check with the local country or state law society/bar assocoiations first before u decide which degree u want to do. Obviously u can do the UK bar that would allow u to practice in a number of countries, but already discussed, this option is becoming increasingly difficult especially for foreign students.

u need an llb first....

This post has been edited by alsree786: Oct 21 2007, 12:10 AM
alsree786
post Oct 21 2007, 01:08 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(Tainted @ Oct 21 2007, 12:25 AM)
What if one decides to migrate and work in overseas like Australia [I know diff. state,diff. system] ?
Australia prides itself on its own qualifications, so the best bet would to actually do your entire law degree there...IF u can afford it!! If u cant, then the Tasmania LLB via KDU is a good help if u need to score points on the Skills assessment for the Visa.

alsree786
post Oct 21 2007, 11:32 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(DDSFan8 @ Oct 21 2007, 02:21 AM)
I want to finish in the University of Hong Kong. How come Singapore don't recognize?
http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/ble/n_first_schedule.htm

Hmmm...they refer specifically to Uk, Australia and New Zealand law programmes, but im not sure for Uni of HK. Should check out with them...

For UK, Australian and NZ LLBs:
Singapore Law Society does not recognise External Programmes, Twinning Programmes, Accelerated degree courses or those Law and Accounting/Law and Management degrees for admission into the Singapore Bar except where you obtained your degree before the rules kicked in of which the exact year depends on which category your degree falls in

This post has been edited by alsree786: Oct 21 2007, 11:34 AM
alsree786
post Oct 28 2007, 06:35 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(Darkmage12 @ Oct 28 2007, 09:40 AM)
how can those college even touch UM?
Your question should be how can the University of London LLB even touch UM, for those colleges offer UOL LLB as their main law programme amongst others....
alsree786
post Oct 29 2007, 11:30 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(DDSFan8 @ Oct 29 2007, 03:53 PM)
So it is safe la to study LLB in Malaysia first?
err yes i guess...
alsree786
post Oct 31 2007, 11:54 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(Jaroque @ Oct 31 2007, 10:47 PM)
Is CLP a definite must?

I've heard news from somewhere before that people who chooses not to take their CLP exams, can take something similar to CLP in the UK's...

there's a name for it..I forgot... LOL.. but it is somewhat being recognized as something on par with CLP also.

That was what I heard, don't know whether it is true or not
yea...it's the Bar exams that u can do in the UK and is recognised here...

i think there are posts regarding it in previous pages...

This post has been edited by alsree786: Oct 31 2007, 11:55 PM
alsree786
post Nov 6 2007, 08:43 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Nov 6 2007, 02:55 PM)
I set my mind to focus on law (such as company law as my main), so i decided to study more on subjects to do with company (business, account, economics) so.. i didn't plan to take maths and physics..

btw, i still need more advises..
Out of the five that you have suggested, you should definitely take law and business if u intend to do the llb. Accounting is relatively simple, so i would suggest that..an easy A. For the other one, well...up to you really, but the three i've mentioned are recommended by moi. Taking A Level Law will help you a little for your first year law, and at least you'll have an insight into the study of law.

Note however, some universities may require you to take General Paper at A levels, so check first.
alsree786
post Nov 6 2007, 11:23 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Nov 6 2007, 11:10 PM)
So, do Brickfields require General Paper which you mention?
umm...if u intend to do the Uni of London external programme....then u do not need GP for A levels. Neither do u need it for twinning programmes...it is only when u enrol directly for internal programmes, mainly overseas that some may require GP, like the NUS Law Programme for example.
alsree786
post Nov 13 2007, 02:29 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(schizophrenic @ Nov 10 2007, 11:00 PM)
second upper = 2:1 = minimum of 4 B+ 60 marks/subject

second lower = 2:2 = minimum of 4B = 50 marks/subject
For the Uni of London Programme:
In an email received their rep informed me that on top of the 4 B+s required for a 2:1, the student needs to hit 450 marks...but many ppl here say that that is not required...so im not sure!! But anyhow, thats what im aiming for....
alsree786
post Nov 17 2007, 07:56 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(cherryblossom @ Nov 14 2007, 05:38 PM)
woah~ don't think it is easy...
Good Luck to you then!
thanks for the luck...am on the right track so far... biggrin.gif
alsree786
post Dec 7 2007, 07:24 PM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(kvys2000 @ Dec 7 2007, 03:27 PM)
I'm planning to do LLB at HELP january nx year. however, i wonder if I can apply for any other twinning universities other than their partners?

Can I do at Australia? Spore or somewhere else? I mean complete the third year
IMO that would be rather difficult unless u have extremely high marks...but even then it depends whether the other universities will accept Help internal results. Furthermore, it will also depend on which years are relevant for their honours classifications, so i highly doubt it, though im not very adept with australian law programmes...
alsree786
post Apr 12 2008, 02:31 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(zephur @ Apr 12 2008, 01:23 AM)
i really hope tht someone can provided me info bout atc... bout the fee, the cost of plc to stay, and does both campus offer 3+0 llb??
you do know u can just give them a call right @ 03-2032 2727 for info like these

the fee for the UOL programme are about the same la for most of the colleges give or take maybe Rm1000 for the three years. Total cost for the programme, if taken in 3 years should not exceed RM40k (especially with the recent exchange rate changes in our favour against pounds)

im not sure about accomodation, im a KL boy...so never bothered to check!

yes both campuses offer the LLB, but this is based on an assumption, since they are primarily a Law school.

alsree786
post Aug 21 2008, 05:13 AM

Enthusiast
937 posts

QUOTE(Xziled @ Aug 21 2008, 01:34 AM)
I'm also from BAC.
Most probably will be sticking to it for my final year of LLB.

Ms.Eunice teaching Tort has a LLM.
Ms.Chanteney teaching Business Studies has a MBA and PhD if i'm not mistaken.
There r a few PhD holders also which i can't really remember eg.Dr.Anand
Ms.Puvanes is DAMN good and if i'm not mistaken, she's from ATC. She taught me Criminal and Trust tutorials before.
Btw, Murali is in Mentari the last i've heard.
murali is in mentari...really? shocking.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0484sec    0.20    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:39 PM